Football Manager 2018 Features Round-Up (ft Match Engine Video)

12 hours ago, MoxeysTheName said:

No, I'm 100% serious. I want each member of my squad to look and feel unique. I want to be able to tell the between Ronaldo and some guy from the Vanarama Conference. I want to see players weaving in and out, doing nutmegs and performing tricks and flicks

Ok, but for that you better choose a different game, like FIFA or PES.

FM are miles away from that, and i think (and hope) that level of graphic detail will never be the main goal of SI.

2 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

FM are miles away from that, and i think (and hope) that level of graphic detail will never be the main goal of SI.

Most of the first part of what I was saying wasn't that serious but I do think it should be possible to see more detailed dribbling animations and possibly some tricks, from players whose attributes in the relevant areas are high enough

3 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

We had commentary, then 2d blobs, and now stick men for a long time. The next graphics update will be more in line with FIFA, and it's about time. 

1 hour ago, Woodmansee said:

We had commentary, then 2d blobs, and now stick men for a long time. The next graphics update will be more in line with FIFA, and it's about time. 

I'd be happy enough with seeing a bit more from the flair players, in terms of dribbles and tricks and flicks.

I'd be fairly confident in saying we will never be "in line" with FIFA.  Ever.  FIFAs match engine that their 3D has to represent is very primitive compared to FMs.  Just watch a be a pro match when the AI has to control most of the players.  Looks like park football.  With the financial backing and huge team that EA has, SI mightbe able to achieve it, but they're in different universes on that.  It's just not necessary to push to that level, which would presumably come to the detriment of other features.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

I'd be fairly confident in saying we will never be "in line" with FIFA.  Ever.  FIFAs match engine that their 3D has to represent is very primitive compared to FMs.  Just watch a be a pro match when the AI has to control most of the players.  Looks like park football.  With the financial backing and huge team that EA has, SI mightbe able to achieve it, but they're in different universes on that.  It's just not necessary to push to that level, which would presumably come to the detriment of other features.

I agree, and thats for me the key point: SI em FM and have to go down that direction in order to have a great game, while FIFA and PES do.

In fact, if FM was still just a game with a 2D graphic engine, would still a great football manager game, because to play the game and to visualise the way the teams are playing, and interpretating the intructions you give, you don't need much more detail.

2 hours ago, forameuss said:

It might not be necessary for you but for a lot of people it is, and to take this game to a bigger audience it definitely is. 

9 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

I agree, and thats for me the key point: SI em FM and have to go down that direction in order to have a great game, while FIFA and PES do.

In fact, if FM was still just a game with a 2D graphic engine, would still a great football manager game, because to play the game and to visualise the way the teams are playing, and interpretating the intructions you give, you don't need much more detail.

If that was the case we would still be using commentary, and we wouldn't get graphics updates every year. 

Edited by Woodmansee

12 minutes ago, Woodmansee said:

If that was the case we would still be using commentary, and we wouldn't get graphics updates every year. 

I think you have taken my words a little bit out of context.

My point was, if you remove the state of the art 3D graphics from a game like FIFA or PES no one will buy/play the game. On the other hand, if you had leave FM with only a 2D it would still be the best football manager game in the market and probably would sell as much as it does with 3D graphics.

Look for another example, like the sound. Take the sound and sound effects from FIFA /PES and you will have a very dull experience playing the game. Now look at FM, that pretty much has the same sound effect from the past 5 or 6 years... no one cares. Why? because people that play FM seek other things. Would it be good to also have great sound effect in FM? Sure, but it's not essential.

Keeping in mind that, like any software company, SI don't have ilimited funds, they have to make choices, and in FM the graphical part is not as important as others areas in the game. 

2 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

Keeping in mind that, like any software company, SI don't have ilimited funds, they have to make choices, and in FM the graphical part is not as important as others areas in the game. 

This game sells for top price and makes a lot of money every year. The graphics in and out of the match probably get more work than anything else, I would say it is important.

5 hours ago, Woodmansee said:

It might not be necessary for you but for a lot of people it is, and to take this game to a bigger audience it definitely is. 

Is there this massive latent audience who like football, like football management games, but only don't purchase now because it doesn't look like FIFA?  I don't doubt that they might get a few more sales, but there isn't this huge untapped market.  Certainly not enough to warrant the huge amount of resources something like that would eat up.

So yeah, it isn't really necessary.  Even if it was, it's even less likely.

7 hours ago, forameuss said:

Is there this massive latent audience who like football, like football management games, but only don't purchase now because it doesn't look like FIFA?  I don't doubt that they might get a few more sales, but there isn't this huge untapped market.  Certainly not enough to warrant the huge amount of resources something like that would eat up.

So yeah, it isn't really necessary.  Even if it was, it's even less likely.

If what you're saying held any weight we would still be using commentary. You talk about sales like it's for one game, the engine will carry on for a long time, like what we have now. One day football manager will progress past stick man, just like it did with commentary, and the 2d blobs, it is just a matter of time. 

1 hour ago, Woodmansee said:

If what you're saying held any weight we would still be using commentary. You talk about sales like it's for one game, the engine will carry on for a long time, like what we have now. One day football manager will progress past stick man, just like it did with commentary, and the 2d blobs, it is just a matter of time. 

Hmmm...nah.  To move from commentary to 2D is a sensible progression.  To move on to the 3D representation we have now, sensible again, and achievable.  To get it to the levels you are talking about is an enormous undertaking, far bigger than anything they've done before.  They're not really comparable.

You also gave the question I asked a dodge.  Do you believe there is this huge untapped market that is interested in the game, but only isn't buying it because it doesn't look like FIFA?  If so, do you believe that the money they would bring in would offset the huge financial resources they'd have to spend on getting it there?

In one of the first feature reveal videos someone was talking to the camera sat next to a screen that appeared to show a camera panning around a FM stadium.

I realise it was never actually said this would be in the game but the implication was clear. Is this option in game?

I very reasonably believed it would be possible to see your stadium in full as a result of this video and it was one of the things I was looking forward to the most in FM 18 - I haven't yet found how so would be grateful to be told how.

In FM 17 sometimes at half-time the camera would pan and zoom around in a way it didn't used to which was a reasonable substitute, and I thought from that video FM 18 would take it a step further.

8 hours ago, forameuss said:

You also gave the question I asked a dodge.  Do you believe there is this huge untapped market that is interested in the game, but only isn't buying it because it doesn't look like FIFA?  If so, do you believe that the money they would bring in would offset the huge financial resources they'd have to spend on getting it there?

Maybe? The game has more people now than 2d, or commentary if that is anything to go by.

I

• 2 weeks later...