Current ability vs Potential Ability

Hi All,

Wanted to get your opinion on a little dilemma I have. Basically I am currently playing in League 1 and my objective is a mid table finish. I have four first choice centre Mids, one being 4 star current ability (playing close to full ability), aged 27, one being 3 star ability (playing to full ability), aged 24, one being 3 start ability (Championship potential) aged 21 and one 2.5 start ability (Premiership potential), aged 19.

I am currently playing the 4 star and 3 star (playing to full potential), but part of me is leaning towards playing the two high potential players as they seem to have brighter futures ahead and the possibility of producing to high quality midfielders Is there.

Given the option what would you guys do in this scenario? 

A lot depends on the chemistry between them. If they could all comfortably play together then I'd just rotate them regularly giving everyone lots of football. If not, and there only a couple of combinations that work then I'd still try and rotate. Ideally I'd try and pair experience with potential.

• SI Staff

Just to throw something else into the mix - the 24 year old has not necessarily reached his potential yet. Due to his age your coach may simply presume he can no longer make significant improvements, which might not actually be the case.

Rotation is the answer.

Playing in League 1 there are enough matches in a season to give all four plenty of game time.

You just have to pick who plays which games and that will depend on which roles you use and which they can play effectively.

If your goal is mid table and you look like meeting that I'd be tempted to rotate more in favour of the higher PA players. The idea being they get enough experience this season so they are ready for a promotion push next season. 

On 09/10/2017 at 18:13, leejerwood said:

Given the option what would you guys do in this scenario

Like @Seb Wassell and @Cougar2010, younger players sometimes don't reach their full potential, so a good idea is always to find matches to rotate them in. And another thing that I have found, is if you expect to overachieve, and you see yourself being promoted in that season, then you should take that into account.

When I am playing lower leagues, I am results driven. Unless I am the sort who may stay in the league for a while, I may not necessarily care. I had a player who followed us all the way from conference to the premiership and tbh while he did improve, our promotion rate was fast, but his attributes never kept up. 

There are a lot of factors to consider - will he have time to improve?, can you afford the luxury of rotation? Personally I pick players who can fit into my tactical system these are the ones i focus on, those who stay with me are usually the special ones.

On 10/9/2017 at 12:20, Cougar2010 said:

Rotation is the answer.

Playing in League 1 there are enough matches in a season to give all four plenty of game time.

You just have to pick who plays which games and that will depend on which roles you use and which they can play effectively.

I typically rotate 2 players and I get complaints (many times from both) that they want more first team involvement (while playing in 3 competitions). I'm not sure how rotating 4 can work out.

It's a tricky question really because I have come up from the Conference South and luckily been promoted in the last three seasons to league 1. As much as I want to push on and achieve promotion to the Championship I currently only have about 300k in the bank which means I am living off Free Transfers and the idea of developing a couple of players and selling them on for big fees apeals to me for club stability and the chance for improvements long term. I have already picked up a fair few youth players from big Premiership Clubs with a view to developing them into first teamers and I like the idea of a self sufficient club based on nurturing talent. I am currently sitting mid table after about 10 games, so I'll let you know how I get on. 

6 hours ago, tmpusr said:

I typically rotate 2 players and I get complaints (many times from both) that they want more first team involvement (while playing in 3 competitions). I'm not sure how rotating 4 can work out.

It should be fairly easy if you have the right balance and the players don't have problem personalities.

The OP has a 4*, a 3*, a 3* with potential & a 2.5* player.  We'll keep things simple and presume all four can play alongside each other.  I would aim to start the 4* player in around 75% of games over the season, the two 3*s in around 50% of games and the 2.5* in 25% of games.  Add in sub appearances (At least one of the three on the bench each game) and most players would be happy in that scenario.  I can't remember the exact % of games needed for each squad status (then modified by personality) that SI quoted but I did get a response from a staff member a couple of years ago and it was much less than you would expect.

From time to time one of the players might complain depending on how often on a series of matches he got left out and which matches he played (Cup or league).  If both the youngsters improve you could well hit a point where you can't keep all four happy and when that happens you have a decision to make.  Natural selection follows and the player who is complaining will be the one you are choosing not to use and in that case you have to let him move on either at end of contract or by agreeing to sell him.

EDIT

I'll add this quote in here as well:

On 07/11/2015 at 02:21, John Schofield said:

The rough rule with players is key players want to start in 60% of games, first team 50% and rotation 25%.

Edit: this is over the last 10-15 games

11 minutes ago, tmpusr said:

Could you please provide a link to the John Schofield quote? Thanks!

If you hover your mouse over that quote, you'll see a black arrow to your right. Click that and you will be moved to the actual topic.

Archived