friendlies vs profit for low reputation teams

as ayr united with my 0.5 star world reputation, if i hold a friendly with another noob team, i pay a fee of 0, and get a payout of 3000... but match day expenses are 5000 and the gate pays almost 0, cuz noone wants to see us play... so i actually lose money.

if i play a friendly against a dude who's trastically better than me, i pay a much higher fee, but the diff btw fee and payout is still 3000, gate pays more cuz ppl actually care, but match day expenses still eat the whole pile, so i still lose money...

are friendlies completely pointless, seeing as how i can get match sharpness from my u20 games and friendlies lose money? or am I mis-reading the data?  I know I've read that friendlies are a way to make money.

3 hours ago, Halby said:

are friendlies completely pointless, seeing as how i can get match sharpness from my u20 games and friendlies lose money? 

When you can 1) build match sharpness, 2) see how the tactic functions (not performs in terms of scoreline) and a match that isn't important and 3) see how your players, especially any new ones, perform within your setup, it's not pointless at all.

Can't say on the money side though.

Didn't they nix the whole "friendlies as profit" thing a few editions ago?  It was far too easy in earlier editions to do that as small teams, which is probably more realistic.  Big teams wouldn't routinely play against smaller ones purely to boost their bank balance aside from the odd one.  Friendlies as profit, much like most of football, is now the domain of the bigger clubs with their playing of other big clubs in every grubby corner of the world.

19 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Didn't they nix the whole "friendlies as profit" thing a few editions ago?

Very glad they did too. Play network game vs my brother... and wonder why he plays so slow, only to later find out his u21s and reserves are playing Real Madrid or Barcelona B teams in a friendly every other day! Getting paid a couple hundred K a pop!

Now you don't make much profit, if any... and it's built in that AI teams refuse to play you over frequently.

It appears FM have tried to remove the exploit by charging a fee similar to that of the income. Perhaps they will start to look more realistic in later editions, as you can still arrange friendlies against big clubs, while you're a minnow you just dont rake in a load of cash. 

The opposite was also available(I don't use it) where as a big club you could arrange a match with a pub team, hammer them and boost your morale. I do hope the game has seen to this by not giving the players a boost by winning expectedly 

There are still ways to exploit the income off friendlies, such as affiliation friendlies where the smaller club keeps all income. This should be blocked by the big club only sending the u18's.

Archived