Playing exclusively as a Head Coach

I've been pondering this for a while and wondering if anyone here plays as just a coach?

By that I mean handing all authority of buying and selling of players including contract renewals to a Director of Football or their Chairman.

It strikes me as quite the challenge and is considered the norm in certain countries.  I'm aware for most it would take away one of the key elements of the game but I think it would make an interesting idea for the challenges section of this forum although what the aim or starting country/league level would be i'm not sure.

What do people think the pros and cons of this way of playing would be?

i've illustrated below incase anyone isn't sure what I mean

chairman.jpg

Its a way and certainly makes it more interesting but it can be frustrating.

I've tried passing more tasks off over the last few versions and I find myself sort of working half & half atm.

Giving the DOF full control really leaves you in their hands but you are still judged on what you achieve.  I've had good & bad DOFs, good ones can bring good players in but bad ones can leave you short of what you want or feel you can get.

An example that springs to mind is a save from FM15 that started in Scotland.  When I joined the club had a DOF and he was good bringing in several players who were better than the current squad as well as getting rid of others.  After a couple of seasons he left (Can't remember why) and I got another who was much worse.  He seemed to struggle to find players, kept picking up rubbish that wasn't good enough and I ended up switching control back to myself.

Currently on FM17 I'm retaining final say while passing contracts & transfers onto the DOF once I've decided who I want.  I'm also using him a little to identify potential targets.

Cheers cougar, interesting stuff.

I imagine it would be quite a test of your tactical nous as a human manager is usually a lot better at squad building (although sadly not in my case!)  I guess it would make it a more level playing field if you go in for it the whole hog i'd imagine.

I am just curious if the DoF would notice in which position you need players. Also, do you do any scouting then ? If some player gets offered to you, do you tell your DoF you want the player ?

I think there need to be set rules before a save like that, for example if your DoF refuses to buy a RB when you only have one could be really frustrating. Altough you´d have to create a tactic around the team your DoF gives you.. hm.

6 hours ago, Alerion said:

I am just curious if the DoF would notice in which position you need players. Also, do you do any scouting then ? If some player gets offered to you, do you tell your DoF you want the player ?

I think there need to be set rules before a save like that, for example if your DoF refuses to buy a RB when you only have one could be really frustrating. Altough you´d have to create a tactic around the team your DoF gives you.. hm.

I suppose that is the big question, will they identify the areas that need improving?  Would the DOF buy players that fit into his preferred tactic?

10 hours ago, herne79 said:

Have a google of the Joe Kinnear challenge.

Would be interesting to see how the DoF gets on with Brexit too.

Ah yes, thanks for that, it looks like it's pretty hard because you get the blame for bad signings, it might be an idea if when you apply for a job the board ask you what level of control you want at the interview stage.  With each board having a preference. 

I use the DoF to fill my backroom staff, and generally look after contracts and sell players I designate for me. I generally use the scouts to identify players (rarely do I search for a particular player) and then occasionally I might set the DoF to buy the player.

Archived