Mandatory Friendlies Are Terribly Implemented

I signed a player from a small club and included the offer to play a friendly as part of the deal. No big deal, right? Well not in theory, but when the other club proposes that friendly midweek between important legitimate matches it becomes a huge inconvenience, and I can't reject it! I tried proposing a friendly with them for another date instead and they in turn rejected that one, though. Very silly. Surely we should be able to commit to playing them but not be forced to accept the first date they propose without any negotiation..?

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 11.16.28 AM.png

Just now, Cougar2010 said:

I really don't see an issue.

You have a friendly inbetween two Wednesday matches, thats no different to any midweek match.

On top of that its a friendly, you can send reserves/U20 players if you can't be bothered with it.

Yes and all midweek matches are a pain. I like to just give the Assistant Manager control of friendlies and while I can plan the starting lineup he always ends up making dumb subs that tire out the important players instead of giving the unfit ones a go, so it just becomes a logistical issue that could so easily be avoided by proper scheduling.

23 hours ago, Weston said:

Yes and all midweek matches are a pain. I like to just give the Assistant Manager control of friendlies and while I can plan the starting lineup he always ends up making dumb subs that tire out the important players instead of giving the unfit ones a go, so it just becomes a logistical issue that could so easily be avoided by proper scheduling.

pick the subs as well :) I always do this for my last pre season friendly (I arrange lots for the money... so usually have one 3 days before opening game, and to avoid fatigue or injury I pick the whole match day squad)

But it does beg the question... if/when this agreement happens IRL (does it??) is it always the prerogative of the selling club to choose when the game is played? The terminology is "arrange a friendly" so it makes it sound more like the buyer should be in control of the schedule as they have agreed to 'arrange a friendly' ... not 'turn up to a friendly'

5 hours ago, herne79 said:

Not being able to negotiate on the date does seem a bit extreme.

However, until that changes (and like Cougar says above) send the kids.

I picked the entire lineup and bench and my assistant still put a starter in the matchday squad and played him. I shouldn't have to suffer through playing Albinoleffe myself just to ensure that my star player doesn't get injured 3 days before a second leg playoff tie haha

Archived