I got knocked out of CL group stage and I can't see why?

The first criteria was not enough to have 2 clear qualifiers due to 3 teams being equal on points suggesting that each has a head to head advantage over one of teh other two so in this instance the results against APEOL are  disregarded & you move to the next criteria.

2 minutes ago, DefensiveDave said:

Away Goals? BVB have a better GD too.

he scored more away goals in the games vs Dortmund.

Rules below -

A) both got 3 points vs each other

B) same goal difference 4-4 over the two games

C) as above

D) he scored 2 away goals Dortmund Scored 1 away goal ... Lazio should qualify?

The only query is what is the difference between B and C... if the goal difference is the same so criteria B is not decisive... in what scenario does criteria C differ??????? both use the phrase 'among the teams in question'

oh wait... Utd also have 12 points so they are among the teams :) no bug...

Group stage

Once the play-offs have been completed, the 32 remaining clubs are drawn into eight groups of four. Clubs from the same association cannot be drawn into the same group. Each club plays one home and one away match against each other club in its group. Three points are awarded for a win, one point for a draw, and none for a defeat. If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings (in descending order):

a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
b) superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
c) higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
d) higher number of goals scored away from home in  the group matches played among the teams in question;
e) if, after having applied criteria a) to d), two  teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to d) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine their final  rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria f) to h) apply;
f) superior goal difference from all group matches played;
g) higher number of goals scored from all group matches played;
h) higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as its association, over the previous five  seasons.

Just to expand on on the posts above when three teams are level on the same points you need to do a new mini league with only the results between those three teams.

If you give us the results of the two matches between Dortmund & Man Utd I'll do you a mini table but from what you've provided I can tell that they won one match each and that both matches were probably close.

Basically your 3-0 defeat away to Man Utd is the difference and you've been knocked out on goal difference.

If United had 13 points, you'd have gone through as your head to head would only have been against Lazio, and yours is better.

However because United are involved on 12 also, there results count too against yourselves and Dortmund combined.

Cruel way to go out on 12 points as well!

3 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

Just to expand on on the posts above when three teams are level on the same points you need to do a new mini league with only the results between those three teams.

If you give us the results of the two matches between Dortmund & Man Utd I'll do you a mini table but from what you've provided I can tell that they won one match each and that both matches were probably close.

Basically your 3-0 defeat away to Man Utd is the difference and you've been knocked out on goal difference.

^ This. Mini-table: Lazio 6 pts 6:8 goal diff., but without results between Man Utd & Dortmund (2 games) we can't diagnose this.

Regardless of the Dortmund-ManU results (they must've won one game each, by one goal, but away goals doesn't matter here), the table looks like this with APOEL removed:

MAU 6 pts (2W, 2L), +2 GD (6-4)
DOR 6 pts (2W, 2L), 0 GD (6-6)
LAZ 6 pts (2W, 2L), -2 GD (6-8)

With all teams on 6 points, goal difference decides, and with Lazio on negative GD, they're out. 

5 hours ago, Emil_Kirilov said:

Thanks guys, there was no bug. The results between Man Utd and BVB were 2:1 and 0:1. So in the end I am just unlucky :)

You have to make a mini-table of all matches between the three teams, i.e. also of the results between you and ManU. My guess is that you lost that comparison on goals difference, hence you would have the worst GD in that 'group' of three.

• FrazT locked this topic

Archived