The Torino Diaries

On 3/12/2016 at 14:45, Rashidi said:

So in came a new plan. Continue playing with the High Block but start looking at dropping the Defensive Line so we could isolate any wide 433 attacking us. It worked a treat. Every 433 that came up against us, got swatted away. Few if any sides in Italy were playing Fluid, they were all so structured.

Can you explain that isolation bit? I gather that, by dropping your DL, you deny space in behind them but you also allow them space in front. Do you mean those 3 were less of a threat in front because their support was far away?

Also, what is the Defensive Line exactly? The starting position of the defenders ? The closing down setting of the defenders? . Should i consider this an attacking or defending instruction?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, difran8 said:

Can you explain that isolation bit? I gather that, by dropping your DL, you deny space in behind them but you also allow them space in front. Do you mean those 3 were less of a threat in front because their support was far away?

Also, what is the Defensive Line exactly? The starting position of the defenders ? The closing down setting of the defenders? . Should i consider this an attacking or defending instruction?

PushedUpDefensiveA2.jpg

This is a pushed up defensive line, playing very fluid with 3 attack duties, note the distance between the backline and the goal keeper. That's your defensive line.

DeepDefensiveA2.jpg

This is a deep defensive line, playing very fluid with 3 attack duties, note how the AM will drop deep to defend, again very fluid, no change in duties to the front three

These are all positions the team takes when you are without the ball, your defensive line is not an arbitrary line across the pitch, but more the zone between the keeper and your players. So sometimes I may opt to play deep if I am confident in my backline to be able to snuff out a threat. However that also means I am playing closer to my goal. By dropping my defensive line I could isolate their attack, if my two guys upfront do the job they are meant to do. Basically if I lose the ball in the opponents half of an attack, most of my players will start to retreat when the transition happens, if I have set close down much more on the front group, they will be encouraged to win the ball back. If we set the defensive line deep, I could set a zone where their players are isolated.

All these pictures were done in a game where  I adjusted the Defensive Line to illustrate my point. Deep d lines also have the effect of isolating your own players as you can see, so they need to be good at holding up and/or beating the AIs defensive line.

Hey Rashidi, in a 4312 which would you say is the most grids to close down. I have gone for the front grid so both strikers are set to close down much more and the midfield grid but i only have the two side midfielders closing down much more. all the rest are left to default settings. I have added some PI to try and get certain players to perform the way i want

1 hour ago, James9 said:

Hey Rashidi, in a 4312 which would you say is the most grids to close down. I have gone for the front grid so both strikers are set to close down much more and the midfield grid but i only have the two side midfielders closing down much more. all the rest are left to default settings. I have added some PI to try and get certain players to perform the way i want

You should go back and read the posts...I did a graphic and I laid it out.

1 hour ago, James9 said:

You should go back and read the posts...I did a graphic and I laid it out.9

Hey Rashidi spent most of the night watching your  videos and reading your blogs on addicted to FM. I feel like I am getting close to getting a grip with the game. 

You mentioned in your Counter Pressing blog an option to turn your attacking line to attack duty. I found this very strange because when I am reading through the forums it seems to be that when playing a top heavy system you should not more than 1 player on Attack duty especially in the 4231 wide which is what I play. 

Could you shine some light on this so I do not get too confused. 

Still reading, watching and learning from this excellent series. I have a question for Rashidi if you went a goal down on defensive structured would you change straight away to Control structured or would you go to attacking fluid. My thoughts is to go up to the next mentality which is Standard/structured and see how things are going. If I am still struggling I then go to Control and the last stop is Attacking/Fluid but I then reduce my defensive line to normal. 

I just wanted to see what you did and how you did it.

On 11/12/2016 at 16:19, James9 said:

Hey Rashidi spent most of the night watching your  videos and reading your blogs on addicted to FM. I feel like I am getting close to getting a grip with the game. 

You mentioned in your Counter Pressing blog an option to turn your attacking line to attack duty. I found this very strange because when I am reading through the forums it seems to be that when playing a top heavy system you should not more than 1 player on Attack duty especially in the 4231 wide which is what I play. 

Could you shine some light on this so I do not get too confused. 

Sometimes I may opt to change shapes, and I want the two guys upfront to harass a defensive line. So I could set them both to attack duties and launch direct passes in their direction. It really depends on the match situation

• 2 months later...

Archived