FM17: Hull City

Ukchris

hullhero.jpg

Brief Recent History
To avoid too much of a wall of text, the club history up to 2016 can be seen in last year's thread here.

With a lot of off-the-pitch drama involving the owners, lack of investment, fan alienation and a name change debacle, 2015-16 was an odd season. Promotion back to the Premier League was sealed with a 1-0 win against Sheff Wed in the Playoff Final and the summer started with optimism: We were back in the top league, new owners looked to be incoming and the increased money should bolster the squad nicely. In the end the opposite happened, as the Allams failed to sell the clubs to two interested groups, our manager (Steve Bruce) quit and not a single player was signed when the season started. To add to that many of our key players picked up bad injuries, leaving this first team squad:

WO213-Unnamed-wounded-group-Courtesy-of-

In the end a few hasty signings were made but the season begain with no permanent manager, no idea who'd be owning the club by the same time the following week and no clear plan. A shambles, after having all summer to prepare!

Squad (17.0 Beta database)

Goalkeepers
1. David Marshall (31)
2. Allan McGregor (34) - injured until December
3. Dusan Kuciak (31)
4. Eldin Jakupovic (31)

There's plenty of cover here, with Marshall signed after McGregor picked up an injury to miss the first 6 months, but it does mean a lot of wages are tied down in this role. Marshall is intended to be the new #1 but Kuciak may actually prove valuable despite being the lowest wage, as he offers the best communication along with reasonable stopping skills.

Defenders
DC: Michael Dawson (32) - injured until September
DC: Curtis Davies (31)
DC: Harry Maguire (23) - injured until September
DC: Alex Bruce (31) - injured until January

DR: Ahmed Elmohamady (29)
DR: Moses Odubajo (23) - injured until January
DR: Brian Lenihan (22) - injured until October

DL: Andrew Robertson (22)
DL: Josh Tymon (17)

If all were fit there'd be decent depth but we start the season with only 1 fit centre back, one senior fullback for each side and only an untested 17 year old as cover on the left with no cover on the right. The defence is ravaged by injury! The likes of Dawson and Maguire are slow to begin with and likely to decline further before regaining match fitness, and the long injury to Odubajo could stall his development. This area needs an emergency fix more than any other. On the plus side Elmohamady and Robertson can both be very creative from deep wide positions, ideal for playing as wingbacks, and Tymon may develop quite nicely too.

Midfielders
MC: Tom Huddlestone (29)
MC: Jake Livermore (26) - injured until August
MC: Ryan Mason (25)
MC: David Meyler (27)
MC: Markus Henriksen (24)
MC: James Weir (21)

MR/L: Robert Snodgrass (29)
MR/L: Shaun Maloney (33)
ML: Sam Clucas (25)

Midfield is actually quite heavily populated, as 3 new players were brought in here despite the injury ravaged defence receiving no reinforcement. The standout issue though is that most of the players want to be central and Snodgrass and Maloney both lack any real pace out wide. Elmohamady can be played on the wing but then there's no one for right back. The midfield options are probably best suited to a tactic utilising a central three or diamond.

All the central players do have a different focus. Huddlestone is slow but can act like an NFL Quarterback as a deep playmaker, Meyler lacks skill but will work hard. Livermore and Mason are pretty good all-round, with Mason in particular looking standout - plus his ppm to get forward will see him score goals. Henriksen is slow and can't tackle but is a great distributor so some kind of advanced plamaking support role may suit him well. If you can use Snodgrass in the right way, without depending on pace, he can contribute a lot. It may be that he's really more suited to an advanced central role despite being natural on the wing.

Forwards
STC: Abel Hernandez (26)
STC: Dieumerci Mbokani (30) - Loan
STC: Will Keane (23)
STC: Adama Diomande (26) - injured until August
STC: Greg Luer (21) - injured until November

Better options than we've had some years as both Hernandez and Mbokani should be very capable goal scorers, both having decent strength and skill all round. Keane is probably more of a backup and lacks some strength, and Diomande's attributes are lower all round than the star pair, but as we've had seasons starting with only 1 striker it's not too bad! Reasonable cover here.

Summary
It's the ideal time to take over management here as the club began the season with no manager in reality. The squad is ravaged by injury and defence is a complete mess at the start but it's not as bad as it might seem at first, with some quality players spread throughout the squad. If you can fix the defence situation and keep key midfielders and forwards healthy there's every chance of outperforming expectations (media predicts 20th). If you can bring in new defensive cover, a 532 or 41212 might be the way to go at the start.

Oh, did I forget to mention half the first team contracts expire at the end of the season? Check each player though, as you can trigger 1y extensions on several including Snodgrass and Hernandez.

The initial budget room is low (£6m transfer with £30k p/w wage room) so finding bargains will likely be key unless you sell players.

If you manage to get a defence in place it should be possible to secure Premier League survival and look ahead to rebuilding the following summer - or be bold and cash in on high valued key players now to undertake an immediate overhaul if you prefer!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked through the squad and (relatively) low budget and decided to keep everyone but find a few key players to bolster the defence. I decided to go with a back 5, which may seem an odd choice when 3/4 centre backs have lengthy injuries but there were two key reasons:

1. All 4 CBs are quite slow (8 accel/pace isn't great!) so if they play when fit again I don't want to be caught out easily with quick passes behind a back 4. I'd rather put a slower defender in the middle and find a couple with some more pace to play either side.
2. The squad lacks pacey wingers, and although Snodgrass and maloney can play there I'd rather just use Robertson and Elmohamady to provide the width. If I'm using them in a wingback role I want the 3rd centre back behind for cover.

With all the central midfielders in the squad I decided using 3 of them was the best choice, so 532 pretty much chose itself.

I focused all my signings on the defence:

DC: Sebastien Bassong (£4m) - Norwich
DC: Mads Fenger (£300k) - Randers, Denmark
DR: Jose Bosingwa (Free)

Bassong and Fenger come in to play as the two outer DCs, both having better speed and agility than the existing centre backs. I was surprised to get bassong so cheap as he still has a few good years in him and should perform well at this level. Fenger isn't top class but he's cheap and did a good job for me last season. He'll hopefully do the same again, with most key attributes around 14. Bosingwa I added as a 4th right back/wingback for the squad on a season contract due to Odubajo's injury, to compete with Elmohamady there. He's 33 but still looks very capable and wages were fairly low.

I'll probably be playing like this:

GK: Kuciak, Marshall, Jakupovic

DR: Bosingwa, Elmohamady
DCr: Fenger
DC: Davies, Dawson, Maguire
DCl: Bassong
DL: Robertson, Tymon

MCr: Mason, Henriksen
MC: Huddlestone, Meyler
MCl: Livermore, Weir

STC: Hernandez, Mbokani
FC: Snodgrass, Keane, Diomande

With this setup I have cover for almost every position. My main issue will be if either Bassong or Fenger miss matches as I'll then have to shift a slower centre back out to one of the wider spots but Davies will do that if needed as he has a little more than the others, and then Dawson or Maguire into the central spot (when they're back to fitness).

I'm treating McGregor, Bruce and Odubajo as non-existant until January as they're injured for so long.

I actually think the squad looks quite good with those 3 additions. Certainly better than the media prediction of 20th, I'd hope to avoid a nasty relegation battle.

For some reason (probably the incredibly low expectations!) I decided to take on Hull. Managed to lose 8 of the first 13 league games... Didn't get sacked... 

I tinkered, tactically... Then I got a win... And another... And another... Set up in a nice little 4-1-2-2-1. Tailed off towards the end of the season, but picked up 14th position.

Had three unsuccessful takeovers (including a tycoon) during the first 12 months. 

I tried to rid myself of most of the squad over the first year. In first window picked up Luan(!) and Jordan Willams from Liverpool on loan.

In the January I picked up Lapadula and Lemar on loan, Ronaldinho for the lolz and Javi Castellano for a pittance.

Second season and Luan has left due to a minimum release fee. Lesnar is on loan again and I have a tonne of new signings lined up.

Hopefully aiming for 8-12 in the league.

Just started my FMT Beta save.

Liking the new improved interface so far but will wait to comment on the ME to see if improved over the disappointing FM16.

OUTS

Dawson 500k (Wages and too slow)

Huddlestone 2.8m (Too Slow)

Kuziak 1.2m (Too many keepers)

INS

Ivan Bandalovski FREE

Mads Fenger 900k

Diego Poyet FREE

Harold Preciado 900k

Oscar Lewicki 1m

On 29/10/2016 at 04:27, Boy_Wonda said:

For some reason (probably the incredibly low expectations!) I decided to take on Hull. Managed to lose 8 of the first 13 league games... Didn't get sacked... 

I tinkered, tactically... Then I got a win... And another... And another... Set up in a nice little 4-1-2-2-1. Tailed off towards the end of the season, but picked up 14th position.

Congrats on staying up :) How was your budget for the second season - plenty of resources for a rebuild?

I'm only 7 games in so far, been slow and steady as I've not had much time, but somehow I'm sitting 2nd with 4 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss (my last game, 2-1 away at Everton).

The 532 isn't the most entertaining going forwards but seems very solid defensivey this year, I'm keeping a lot of clean sheets.

Robertson is an assist machine on the left, Snodgrass is doing great as a deep lying forward (4 goals and 3 assists in 7!) while Hernandez and Mbokani both perform well as the more advanced striker. Bassong and Fenger have been great so far as the two outside centre backs, using their pace to protect someone slower in the middle.

Kuciak is the player I'm most surprised with. I had him pencilled in as 4th choice when I assessed the squad but he's keeping Marshall out as #1 with a string of clean sheets.

Clucas and Maloney are the two suffering most from my system, lacking a role and not getting played.

7 hours ago, Ukchris said:

Congrats on staying up :) How was your budget for the second season - plenty of resources for a rebuild?

I received £40m+ or so for second season. Brought in Predrag Rajkovic to replace.. well... nearly all the keepers! He was great until November when he broke his leg. Had a little freak out then plumped for Will Mannion from the reserves to take his place... My word what a great little keeper he is!!! 

Glad to see a Hull thread going again. Only English club I spent any time with on FM16 and quite likely the only one I will on FM17. The squad and the injuries make staying up a challenge for sure. Look forward to reading what everyone else manages.

Just started a season with Hull. I always start with first window transfers turned off, so only frees or loans for me.

Challenging given the squad is poor and there are a ton of injuries. Playing a 3-5-2 system with attacking philosophy (I originally set up defensively but it just seemed to backfire massively, way too much space and time for the opposition). Brought in Lorik Cana and Alex on frees - Alex is actually still quite good, Cana is really just a stopgap until my defenders regain fitness.

Hernandez and Mbokani prove a good front duo. A real handful. Mason is also a good goal threat from midfield - supply from wingbacks is vital here.

Great start to my FMT save with Hull City. Sitting top of the premiership after 7 games with 6 wins and 1 narrow 2-1 loss to Arsenal. Conceded 4 goals in 7 games - pretty good for a team with 1 fit CB at the start!

Playing a Standard mentality 532 - seems rather solid so far.....

INS - Fenger, Boye, Poyet, Preciado, Simunovic

OUTS - Kuziak, Dawson, Huddlestone

I might start again as I noticed since the full release I've lost the German national team, names reverted etc. and no changes bring them back. A shame as I was in January sitting top half with good performances but I can't continue a save with all that locked.

I'll check if anything is different on the release database.

Congratulations on the thread. I like the opening postings, they give you a quick but very helpful and overview. And they are fun to read. I always love being introduced to other clubs in that way. Good luck with Hull!

I started the season playing a 532 with fullbacks and a trio in central midfield. As the season has progressed I've moved more towards this:

7xmYH8J.jpg

Mostly playing on Standard / Flexible I've kept things fairly tight defensively, plenty of clean sheets. Marshall eventually came into the team and outperformed Kuciak so he's stayed in, and Maguire has been progressing nicely in that central spot to push Fenger out onto the bench for now and move Davies out wider. Davies is doing nicely in that outside cetre back spot while he's still 11accel / pace but I think Fenger would come back in there if he drops below 10.

I was mostly using Livermore (as a B2B) instead of Henriksen but lately I've used Henriksen more in that roaming role as his technical ability can open things up. Mason is the all-round engine in midfield next to him with Huddlestone sitting behind to collect the ball from defence.

The two wingbacks get involved a little more pushed up to those spots, I just keep them on support for that little extra defensive cover compared to attack. Bosingwa was the regular starter on the right but since turning 34 he's lost a bit more pace and now I feel Elmo creates more opportunities. Bosingwa has now actually been coming off the bench at DMC when Huddlestone is tired to play as an anchor man. Tymon has had a number of games to keep him developing but Robertson is first choice on the left.

I'm happy with Snodgrass's conversion. I usually play him a little deeper than the other striker as a DLF, often with Roaming on. He still gets behind defences when the right through ball is played but he tends to drop into space more than the other on this role which helps.9 goals and 4 assists so far isn't too bad. Hernandez has been the primary scorer with 13 and as a CF(s) he both brings midfielders into play and bursts forwards. I was playing him in an attack role earlier on but he got too isolated in quite a few games.

Mbokani is good, I've been changing a bit between him and Snodgrass, and usually also plays as a CF(s). He just hasn't been as clinical as Hernandez.

Dawson, Keane, Weir, Diomande and Clucas have played occasionally during heavy fixture periods, cup games or covering injuries. Only really a handful each. Odubajo hasn't played since returning from injury, he's still regaining fitness in the U23 squad, and both Bruce and Maloney will only feature if there's a dire emergency.

9th in the league at the moment on 40 points after 27 games and still in the FA Cup 5th round. It's really close around me in the league with Chelsea 6th on 43 and Sunderland 10th also on 40, so positions fluctiate each week. My target now is to hold onto a top half position for extra budget/recruitment power in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the first season, ending up 10th in the league after my form dropped with only 1 win in the last 6 games. I did play the likes of Arsenal, Man City and Liverpool in that time though so not too surprising.

SENx6vt.jpg

My defence was key as I had the joint 3rd least goals conceded. Only the top 2 (Arsenal and Man Utd) conceded less, so that was great. I didn't score a massive amount, often winning by a single goal, but I did enough to maintain a positive goal difference which was enough to finish top half.

Hernandez ended as top scorer with 14 goals, Snodgrass next on 9 in his new role up front. Mbokani only scored 7, and all 3 played almost identical minutes (2283, 2288 and 2287!). The three of them rotated the two striker positions, with Hernandez picking up more injuries than the other two. A useful trio for the first season anyhow. Diomande and Keane only played backup roles for me.

Mason and Henrikson did nicely in central midfield with 4 goals each, and I think next season I'll try to use them a bit more offensively at the right times. Huddlestone just felt a bit too slow for my liking, Meyler lacks skill and Livermore is a bit weaker version of Mason but they all did their bit at times in my midfield 3 (usually in more of a holding role). I started using Clucas a bit towards the end too, either at DMC or AMC depending on opposition setup. Weir didn't get much look in, and didn't make much impact when he did get chances. Maloney just didn't fit for me, being too slow for an advanced role and having no competency at MC.

My wingbacks provided most asssists with Robertson (7) and Tymon (4) on the left out-assisting Elmo (3) and Bosingwa (2) on the right. I think next season I'll try to find a more powerful right wingback if I stick with the 352. Odubajo didn't play, though he would've had a few games as backup to Elmo after recovering from injury if I hadn't signed Bosingwa.

Bassong played most games in the defending 3 on the left side but the others rotated a bit. Davies had second most minutes, usually on the right but sometimes central, with Maguire finishing the most frequent trio in the centre (being the slowest). Fenger wasn't far behind, and played on the right when he was a starter, with Dawson not used too much - I just felt his low speed and agility were a liability, he'd get bypassed too easily by nippy forwards. Bruce only got 65 minutes all season and gave away a penalty in that time, which sums him up!

Marshall was fairly reliable through the season and it wouldn't be too bad if I have to stick with him, though he'll turn 33 next season so decline isn't far away. I still feel Kuciak is a decent option too and they'd be my top two keepers with McGregor in rapid decline and Jakupovic lacking mentally.

The squad was definitely capable of that top half finish and I think I should've ended a bit higher but I did spent quite a few games tinkering with changes. I think I could've managed without signings but Bassong and Fenger were great to have as I never had problems puttng a back 3 together, and Bosingwa being there meant I had no concerns on the right.

I'm sure someone will be able to finish top 6 in the first season with the right approach/signings but I'm happy with top 10 after continuing this from the beta and mostly using the original squad. No doubt I'll make big squad changes soon but this first season was much less of a struggle than I expected.

Season 1 - Survival

So my aim for season 1 was simply to survive in the league and then look to rebuild the squad in the manner I wanted for the next season. Didn't manage to achieve the high finishes some of you have achieved season 1, but pleased to report that I achieved my objective! It took a win against Spurs on the last day of the season to see us safe.

d593ab692c4e2fdcc99021d7232a2519.png

My transfers for season 1 were as follows:

24ba654644e044b89fc221f5d91defb8.png

Adebayor started the season well getting 7 in goals in 7 games, but then completely went off the boil and didn't score again, proving to not be good value for his high wages. Lorik Cana was a very handy signing, especially at the beginning of the season when we start short on centre backs.

I also put some work into transforming my backroom staff, which should set me up well for future seasons:

bb54c66c42eab23face2489eed55202a.png

Flitted between two tactics, starting the season with a 5-3-2 (see screenshot below from a 4-0 win against Sunderland early in the season) and then changed to a 4-1-4-1 in the second half of the campaign (see screenshot of formation from 3-1 win over Tottenham on the last day of the season).

53cb7addc0e83dbf2b1403d1689fbb52.pngc9ca7f5b86c93db7a8201290d1c4c1f9.png

Mbokani was my stand out performer in the side, bagging 13 goals in the league. Mason, Henrikson and Marshall had fairly good seasons, but there were not too many strong performers. Looking to build for the second season now.

I also had a good experience with Mannion. @Boy_Wonda!

Playing Chelsea and Marshall got injured. Jakupovic was already injured, McGregor not registered and I'd sold Kuciak. Mannion came on and didn't concede to help me get a useful point!

6ede0e9f5f6c7c5241a20b36db1e0df8.png

I've loaned him to Coventry (now in League 2) where he is their first choice 'keeper and I will be keeping a close eye on his development.

Congrats on staying up :) It doesn't matter too much where you end up in that first season outside of the top 6, as survival enables a good rebuild whether 10th or 17th. Team reputation doesn't change drastically until you start getting into Europe so top players still won't join yet regardless of transfer budget. It just opens up the next 'tier' of player quality to make the next step up.

I sent Manion out on loan for season 2 too. Tried to get him a team for the first season but no one was interested, though it did give me the season to tutor him. Hopefully a full season of game time will see him develop nicely and maybe become a squad member for season 3.

Thanks @Ukchris!

The Rebuild

So the first thing worth mentioning is that the club was bought by former Sao Paulo owner Carlos Miguel Aidar in March 2017.  Not an oligarch but will hopefully invest a bit more than the Allams. My transfer budget for the 2nd season was £40m. 

So I have now completed a full rebuild of my squad, clearing out every player I didn't think was of the required quality and recruited in the key areas I felt needed strengthening.

f2986bf538db5083536a88b69e2d0bda.png

5a889c6602876788bec0893e3f1d8493.png

I utilised the agreed fee to secure Mbokani, capitalised on Burnley's relegation by bringing in Keane & Gudmundsson, spent big on quality right back Hadergjonaj and snapped up Leicester's Mendy. I utilised the free agent market to bulk up what was a thin squad after my squad cull, with goalkeeper Costil standing out as a coup. I've signed Rossiter from Rangers as one for the future and have loaned him back to them for the season, to develop. I have signed Paletta and Defoe for bargain prices to add some needed experience to the squad. My star signing though is undoubtedly Berahino. His contract expired at West Brom so I only had to pay £3m compensation to sign him. His £74k/week wages are high but if I get him playing he could be a game changer!

Line up

Had bad news to start the season as Mbokani (3 months) and Berahino (6 weeks) have both got injured. The line up below is what I will be starting the season with:

7ef936706750f71bdaa2ffdbf3da90a0.png

Hoping for a mid-table finish this season, shall keep you all updated.

Started a career with the (un) mighty Hull. My philosophy is to get out all the deadwood and replace with hard working youthful players mixed with some quality experienced heads.  So far so good in pre-season, Undefeated in 8. I now have Arsenal and Liverpool in my first two fixtures (cheers then) I will update and let you know how I'm getting on.  

IMG_9552.JPG

Way exceeded my expectations with Hull, 7 matches into the season so far and undefeated, as well as winning my way through to the EFL Cup 4th Round.Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 14.04.54.png

In

Mads Fenger £925k

Eric Lichaj £1.1m

Harold Preciado £1.1m

Out

Sam Clucas (Burnley) £4.2m

Hoped for a bit more transfer activity, especially considering Hull's starting position in terms of squad size, but players are now coming back to fitness and I'm reasonably satisfied with my 18 at least.

Playing a narrow 4-3-1-2 and the real revelation is Preciado, playing as a TM next to Hernandez. 11 goals in 7 matches. Henriksen as a BWM and Robertson at LB also stand out performers.

Tried to sign Rajkovic as goalkeeper for £5m but couldn't get a work permit. Thankfully Marshall is doing a decent job. Will try again in January.

Fully expecting this run to splutter sooner rather than later but confident we've got enough to avoid relegation and have a couple of decent cup runs.

Season 2 - Stability

Finished my second season managing Hull and achieved a solid 13th place finish in the Premier League. This season was much more comfortable than the last and we never really felt in danger of being relegated. We were quite unlucky with injuries with my first choice strike partnership of Mbokani and Berahino both being injured during the season for 4 and 3 months respectively. Unfortunately when Mbokani returned from injury his stats had declined and he was a poorer player. If the squad had stayed fit we may have been able to push for top half!

1507f8c428f1d151f0f0cd60ccbc3145.png

After my summer rebuild only minimal changes were needed in January. I sold Raul Rodriguez (£500k Las Palmas) and Will Keane (£525k Sheff Wed) and loaned Tomas Kalas to Wolfsburg. I brought in Kevin Mbabu and Marlos Moreno on loan from Newcastle and Man City.

578c4e0b9ff16698b5e3b0239e542040.pngb7b4343c28152c499784fd6fb2921de9.png

Above are the two formations I predominantly used throughout the season. I tended to play 4-4-2 against teams I thought I could beat and 4-1-4-1 against tougher opposition. We scored much more goals than last season and the goals were spread throughout the team (Berahino was top scorer with 11). Snodgrass had a great season, much improved from the first. Henrikson, Mason, Bamford, Keane, Paletta and Hadergjonaj were key performers for me this season. A match that highlighted our increased attacking ability was our goal-fest against West Ham:

b2a6eb1caed4d46a119966f16af19bda.png

As well as improving on our league form, we also had a successful FA Cup run, making it to the semi finals where we were sadly beaten on penalties.

89bfb0fda925a557c74611bb94cced0e.png

Hoping to continue to build on this progress in season 3!

• 3 weeks later...

Season 3 - Progress

a069be764c07efd8de66c1a123147196.png

1592f6607f2ef7cd0751088a4da91fc5.png

The summer of my third season I focused on trying to add some quality to the solid core squad I had created and led to 12th the season before. I added new options to my forward line, signing Batshuayi and Seferovic. I utilised the free agent market to sign Fellaini and Ben Arfa and the loan market to sign Kimpembe and Odegaard. I was very happy with Costil last season however Areola came available at a low price and therefore brought him in.

I didn't intend to act in the January transfer window but as soon as it opened Liverpool matched Keane's release clause and so I had to find a replacement, bringing in Phil Jones for a good price. Late in the window Snodgrass, who had been having a good season, picked up an injury that would keep him out for 4 months therefore I moved for Argentinian left winger Cervi.

3b94328f8edc2a6a4abf72015de1bff3.png

Had QPR not lifted the EFL Cup (and a top 6 team won instead) we would have qualified for European football in season 3. That said I was very happy with our final standings. We scored more goals this season than the previous two, which demonstrated the increase in quality to the squad. Generally we beat or drew with all the teams that finished below us, however we are still struggling to pick up any wins against the top teams.

084f800e83285e4b30e4c5154228b169.png32932e7053b75f2dc439951a25717e7d.png

Above are the most common line ups I used for the first half (left) and second half (right) of the season. There were some variations, but generally I stuck to the 4-4-2 formation. The players most consistently featured were Henrikson, Kimpembe, Hadergjonaj and Robertson. Otherwise most of the squad was heavily rotated. Areola started the season but had a poor spell and therefore Costil came in for a 16 game spell, before I reverted back to Areola. Cervi and Gudmondsson came into the side in the second half of the season and performed really strongly. Fellaini was very useful as a ball winner in midfield, however this came at a price as he picked up 20 yellow cards which limited him to 29 appearances due to suspensions. Berahino was our top scorer with 16 goals and Seferovic the top assistor with 8. Goals and assists were generally spread well across the squad.

I worry that I may not be able to build upon a 7th place finish with this club, but I will try my best to take them into Europe!

Nice going with the 7th position, looks like you made some nice signings there. Berahino is a good pacey forward to have leading the line and always seems to end up at Spurs in my games. I've always found 442 to be a strong formation against weaker teams being nicely spread out for width but then that spread works against you when facing tougher teams who often outnumber the setup in the middle.

If you can keep your key players and add a couple more it should be possible to push on into Europe, and once there you can attract even better players to continue the upward trend. It's all about that first season breaking into Europe, whether via top 6 in the league or a cup win, and keeping hold of your top performers for the 2-3 seasons that takes.

Season 2: 2017-18

I finally finished the second season and so nearly qualified for Europe. I was sitting in 4th/5th for a while until a couple of losses in the last few games saw me drop to 7th. It was close enough that 4th - 7th went down to the final day and unfortunately for me I was away at Man City :(

O1MTEU0.jpg

On the plus side we played great most of the season. Hernandez finished 2nd highest scorer in the league on 23 with only Harry Kane ahead on 26. Berahino was 3rd, actually playing for Everton currently this save. Robertson was my highest assister on 9 as a wingback.

zonKI44.jpg

You can see I made a few signings there. Bony cost £5m, and though he's on £110k per week he adds a different dimension being a strong hold-up player. He grabbed 11 goals and 7 assists as the support forward. Marko Grujic joined from Liverpool for £13m and filled that B2B role, allowing Mason to play further up (where he's played well) and Rene Krhin was the best holding midfielder I could convince to join, only costing £1.8m from Granada. I bought Michael Keane for central defence as I have the past couple of versions and added Carl Jenkinson as a right wingback. Jenkinson isn't as creative as Robertson but did a job.

In January I also signed Joel Campbell from Arsenal as another pacey forward and the young Alexander Isak to train up, along with James Tomkins who was on the transfer list as another centre back with Davies and Bassong both getting older.

Henriksen and Snodgrass both rotated in but were injured a lot. I also gave Tymon games when I could to keep him developing.

So Marshall, Maguire, Robertson, Mason and Hernandez all remain core players from the original squad. Kuciak, Tymon, Elmohamady, Henriksen, Snodgrass, Davies and Livermore also squad players but more rotation (or injured a lot).

Disappointed to miss out on Europe but my key players are tied down for the coming season with contracts so if I can find a couple more quality additions hopefully I can finish a couple of positions higher next time.

I think a new keeper and better holding midfielder will be top of the list if I can find anyone suitable.

Great work @Ukchris finishing 7th in your second season, especially with not too much turnover of the squad! 

Hopefully your Keane isn't poached by a bigger club like mine was. 

Interested to see how you get on in your third season :thup:

A 1-1 home draw with Norwich in the penultimate game cost me.. if I'd won that I would've qualified for Europe even with the final day loss to Man City. Oh well, still a good season! I just hope my reputation goes up enough to attract a few new players.

As for contracts, I do all I can to avoid Minimum Release fees. There's nothing worse than having a key player poached mid-season for £20m, so when I negotiate contracts I'll do whatever I can to not have a Min. Release in there - I'd rather offer a bit higher wage and bonus instead. If a player does insist on a Min. Release I'll try to negotiate it to something high like £120m, which is unlikely to be triggered by AI teams. Right now I only have Jenkinson on a generic £60m release to anyone and Grujic on £120m release to Champions League clubs, which were both necessary to get them to sign. Everyone else I was able to leave them out, including Keane.

The other thing I do with contracts is start renegotiating with 2 years to go for players I know I want to keep, and aim for 5 year renewal (or 4 if 5 isn't possible). It gives more time to negotiate and talk a second time if things go badly at first, rather than have a player enter the final year with other clubs showing interest that can unsettle them and make them not want to sign a new deal. It's annoying when one of your top players is in his final year, won't renew and bids are coming in as you want to use them this season but would lose them for free if not selling now. Renewing at 2 to go solves that, or gives you longer warning and extra time to sort the issue if a player is unhappy.

Oh, this was unexpected!

HHs6UJ7.jpg

I thought I just missed out as Swansea won the League Cup instead of someone ahead of me, but I was just doing some scouting with the World Cup about to start and this popped into my news. That'll help a bit with new player negotiations :)

Edit: I just realised Liverpool won the Europa League this season, so they qualified for the Champions League via that and all league position qualifications below them moved down an extra slot. Thanks Liverpool!

That's worked out really well for you @Ukchris!

I guess you will need to add quality to your squad players as there will be a lot of games to play with the Europa League. As you say, European football should enable you to recruit good players with your increased reputation. Good luck in Europe!

How are you finding transfer budgets by the way?

I finished the third season with £15m of my budget unspent as I've been utilising loans and frees. Got my budget for the fourth season and it was £30m (so effectively they've only given me £15m). Was quite disappointed, thought I'd get more for finishing 7th!

I had a takeover of the board half way through last season so the Allams are no longer there. The new consortium (not a tycoon) gave me £36m for season 3 for a mid-table finish, which I adapted to £42m for a top half finish.

I may not have been too efficient but used it all on a couple of key positions:

GK - Wojciech Szczesny - £31m, Arsenal
MC - Jack Cork - £12m, Swansea
AMC - Oliver - Free

I know the price for Szczesny is big but Marshall and Kuciak are both starting to decline so I needed a new #1. There were a few others but I figured I'd go for the best available, and I know in previous versions he's gone on to be very good as Arsenal's #1. I usually don't use high eccentricity keepers so it'll also be a good chance to see how that works over a full season (he has 16). Cork comes in as a holding midfielder, decent both defensively and passing the ball around. He should add a little extra quality in the middle. Oliver is a typically highly technical Spanish playmaker I picked upfor free. Not great physically but I figured I'd see how he does.

I let Davies' contract expire as he's 34 this season and speed going below 10 now. McGregor retired after being backup for 2 seasons and after I signed Szczesny Arsenal then signed Marshall as a backup there (I'm using Will Manion as a #2 this season to help him develop and kept Kuciak as a low wage #3). Livermore wasn't getting much playtime and wanted to leave so I sold him for £2.4m after signing Cork.

Hernandez, Robertson, Maguire and Mason will all be key players again from the original squad.

Snodgrass, Henriksen, Elmohamady, Tymon, Manion and Kuciak are all still in the first team squad. They won't all start each week but each will get used through the season, some more than others.

I made one final signing on transfer deadline day, Kieran Tripper in for £9m. I've used him in previous versions and with Elmo now over 30 and his contract expiring next summer I decided I'd spend the cash now. That gives me Trippier and Jenkinson competing for the right wingback position.

I had to sell someone to raise the extra funds so Henriksen went. I hadn't used him as much the previous season as he's just too slow for my liking in an attacking role and too weak defensively as a holding player so he didn't quite fit in for me.

• 1 month later...

Season 4 - European Qualification

Out.thumb.png.9e7d11eb7256b14f60b924824cd3d7f4.png

Due to the limited budget I was provided with I had to begin by raising some money to get the players I wanted to take us to the next level. Players like Mason, Robertson, Mendy and Snodgrass had performed well for me in previous seasons, but I could see better players available in the market and therefore I had to speculate to accumulate. Lots of young players were once again sent on loan in a bid to develop them. In January you will see there were also player sales - these were players I liked but were unhappy at their lack of game time, so I let them depart.

58d6c41ef2ad8_hull1.thumb.png.0adc5fd5f45dc7547ade49e76c273f15.png

I was very pleased with my transfer incomings this season. I was shocked to see Rabiot was nearing the end of his PSG contract and even more shocked he was willing to move to Hull, I believe this to be an absolute coup. Memphis is a player I have had great success with in Man Utd careers so I was delighted to recruit him. Taylor was my improvement on Robertson and Bittencourt my improvement on Snodgrass. Rossiter, who I signed the season before, returned from his loan at Rangers to be my DM option. I signed Ajer but decided to loan him back to develop as I had a wealth of CM options (Henrikson, Rabiot, Rossiter, Fellaini, Castro, Havertz, etc). My only disappointment was that I searched  tirelessly for a top class striker but there were none available who would join us. I picked up Asano as a cheap additional option up front. In January I was very happy to pick up Chambers as my new RB. Two of my most important signings aren't listed above, because they were the renewals of the season-long loans of Kimpembe and Odegaard, which were taken care of in May of the 3rd season.

58d6c462743a7_hull2.thumb.png.d7fdec7749bd2daf0733ebfc8e3919ca.png

58d6c463856e7_hull3.thumb.png.2ef905ffc02f74dd9bd7ae04bc69cbde.png

We finished 7th in the table once again, but this time were able to secure European qualification due to top four sides winning the cups. Despite finishing in the same position as last season, I consider it to be an improved season in terms of results. Not only did we finish with 3 more points, more goals and much less goals conceded, we turned a corner in respect of results against top sides. Season 3 we basically lost to all the teams above us and beat most of the teams below us. This season, for example, we secured wins against Tottenham, Arsenal and Man Utd.

The first half of the season we swapped between the following two formations (4-4-2 utilised against lesser sides):

Formation.thumb.png.777810d190875be6ff359d779d0bcc95.png

However in the final 10 games of the season I switched to this formation, which proved to be very successful and looks to be the blueprint for my fifth season with Hull:

hull.thumb.png.9a87cdf5ee515a37c858f7ff67c64329.png

My key performers throughout the season were Kimpembe, Memphis and Rabiot. My strikers rotated through the season, each hitting a spell of form at different times. Seferovic started the season in great form (10 goals), Berahino had a good spell in the middle of the season before getting injured (8 goals) and Batshuayi hitting form at the closing stages of the season (12 goals). Otherwise goals were spread amongst the team with Odegaard, Memphis and Asano all contributing. Assists were also spread well across the team. Costil had a good 9 game run where he kept goal, but Areola made the position his own in the end.

I am extremely excited to test my side in Europe next season. I am also interested to see if the level of player I can recruit improves. That said I have already spent the majority of the £30m budget I have been provided as I have secured the futures of loanees Kimpembe and Odegaard on a permanent basis. Kimpembe joins on a free at the end of his PSG contract and I matched Odegaard's £14.75m release fee to secure him.

I am. in my 3rd season and currently 5th. finished 10th 1 season, 8th second season qualifying for the champions league as i won the euro cup!!

got 110m in the bank, best advice i can give anyone is scout the portugal league, the regens you can pick up for under 200k each are insane!

Archived