FM17: Argentinian League

bestbrother

I joined the Argentinos Jrs bandwagon, aiming to have 2 or 3 years there an move on for a South American tour.  Won the league but only on the final day after a poor run towards the end of the season.  Played  a 5-2-3 strikerless formation which suited the best prospects at the club and tried to sell anyone who would get in the way of that.  My first 2 signings didn't play at all but acted as tutors, my only proper signing was made because I was unable to keep hold of Freire.

9B5C8272BDBCB7A8EB9520FF1E2BA96E56BEDDF7

5C18AABDCC030F09E96A59CF734195733D31851B088E7283F392F86DFCF2A7B45593DE41DB57137F

Vera would have played more but I signed him to his first pro deal to get Juventus to go away and it made him unregistered until the transfer window.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My save with Argentinos in the first season was getting boring (mainly cos I didn't like the tactics I was using). Managed to win the league as well as the cup but I then left the save dormant and played other saves.

However Ive gone back, changed the tactics to my tried and trusted "4132" narrow strikerless, sold a couple of players, bought a couple of oldies at cb and fb/wb (were the only ones who were cheap as well as had good stats that I like - ie 13/14 pace and acceleration and 14 tackling and marking for cbs) and loaned in a few as well, most notably Conechny and Tevez, and started the 2nd season. All forwards and ams (including those in on loan) are currently being re-trained as shadow strikers to fit my formation.

After 7/8 matches Im in first one point ahead of Boca and, of all teams, Rosario Central (beat River 3-1 to win the Supercopa and got booted out the cup in the semi final by Velez who are the only team who have beaten me in the league so far as well).

Only issue is that all the potential of my youngsters is being eroded by not having tutors to help them (almost everybody is bloody balanced!

Angels With Dirtier Faces; Argentinos Juniors 2017-18

Argentinos’ return to the Primera began in scintillating fashion. The form that had won nine of ten pre-season games continued apace, as we dominated the opening third of the campaign and ruthlessly took advantage of several teams who fancied playing an open, expansive game. Jose Hernan Dujaut and Lucho Cabral were the two names on every Argentinos fan's lips, both contributing heavily and relegating Fabricio Lenci to a mere supporting role in the Starting XI. In fact, Lenci was in poor form, despite the team success, registering only four goals in his opening dozen games. Damian Batallini was also quiet, and the combination that had stormed to success in the Nacional was little evident.

It was difficult to decide where the problem lay actually; whether the introduction of Dujaut and Cabral has irreversibly shifted the dynamic of the team, whether simply Lenci or Batallini (or even both) were just in a barren spell of form. Normality resumed itself just before the halfway mark, Lenci exploding back into life. The old warhorse would go on to have an excellent final few months, netting 18 times and pipping Tevez to the Golden Boot.

At the halfway stage we sat top of a close league.

Halfway.jpg

At this time, we also had….

Copa Argentina Final.jpg

Argentinos’ first ever Copa Argentina final appearance. Which sounded mightily impressive until I realised that it has only been played five times in history. Nevertheless, a final it was, and the promoted upstarts had upset the applecart.

It was a tense, nervy affair. Boca had the best of the opening 20mins, but we scored through Batallini on the stroke of half-time, rising like a salmon at the near post. Events of the 53rd minute were decisive – a flowing Argentinos move fed Esteban Rolon in space. The midfield dynamo had been in outstanding form and his rampaging run forward carved open the Boca rearguard. Steadying himself, only the keeper to beat, he lashed the ball wide, composureless. I groaned inwardly. Twenty seconds later Boca equalised in a goal reminiscent of Arsenal’s third against Bournemouth two weeks ago; midfield runner fed Tevez, who hit the byline and cut back for Colidio to lash home – the 17 year old prodigy who had only recently turned Argentinos down for Juventus (I mean, who would?!). Boca bested the end of the game, not helped by the fact I’d forgotten Cup ties go straight to pens and I hadn’t energised the team with subs. Tevez missed his pen, Lenci scored and that was thoroughly as good as it got, as we missed the next three. Boca took the Cup with a 3-1p win.

Mirroring the promotion campaign, the second half of the season was more difficult, less explosive; teams cottoning on to the fact we are actually bloody good going forward and resorting to the deep-midfield 442s. We were top with ten games remaining, by the time we visited Boca on matchday 24 we had fallen seven points adrift and had suffered a shock loss to 26th placed Banfield. The run up to the game could hardly have been worse, losing six players in the space of a week; both leftbacks, four of the five central midfielders, injured. We went to our title rivals with Alexis MacAllister playing as a left wingback! 3-0 down after 25mins, Kevin MacAllister sent off, we pulled it back to 3-2 at halftime, before Boca torched us and ran out 6-2 winners.

Final Table.jpg

All said and done, 2nd hugely exceeded the media prediction of 12th and my own aim for a top-6 finish. An excellent season with Copa Libertadores qualification. The most difficult element was the fixture list; with only 28 games, fixtures were only every two weeks in the final few months and it really served to drag out the campaign and impinge fitness.

Statistically, the play-style shone. Average possession 4.5% higher than any other Primera outfit, the intricate build-up accounted for almost two-thousand more passes than next-best Talleres. Lenci won the Golden Boot, the playmaking Cabral the assists, and part-time cover defender/sweeper/libero, Torren, easily besting the key tackles, performing well in his movable-part defensive role.

Player overview & Golden Boot.jpg

Average Possession.jpgTotal Passes.jpgOverall Pass Comp..jpgPlayer overall pass comp..jpg

Assists.jpgKey Tackles.jpg

Cabral has replaced Batallini as the fans’ darling.

POTY.jpg

MacAllister Watch

Cliché alert…..2017-18 was a season of two-halves for the MacAllisters. The non-developing Kevin sat forlornly on the bench up until Batallini left the club (more of which later), but earned 12(3) starts and chipped in with six assists. He is now the bona-fide starter at right-wingback.

Kevin MacAllister.jpgKevin MacAllister EOS.jpg

Alexis had an injury-hit opener, missing ten weeks. Out of form when given the opportunity, he didn’t score his first goal until late in the season, before bursting into life. 8(12) starts, two goals and three assists. He is still improving rapidly and is now primed to push on.

Alexis MacAllister.jpgAlexis MacAllister EOS.jpg

Poor-old Francis hasn’t fared so well. Farmed out to Brazil’s Avai on loan, registered two assists in 37 games with a 6.35 average. Inadvertently unregistered on his mid-season return, he has now royally got the hump and will likely soon depart. He doesn't even earn an image this time around.

Semper Fidelis

The Argentinos crèche bestows many gifts. This year, Enzo Ybanez has been an absolute standout. Thrust into the limelight after Benitez’s departure, he spent the first ten games of the season watching Piovi maraud up and down the left flank to little avail. He then set the place alight; 16(4) appearances, a goal eight assists, at a top-club ranked 7.30. 23 year old Piovi, conversely, managed two assists in 16(5) at 7.04. That is a big difference and his progress has been rapid.

Enzo Ybanez.jpgEnzo Ybanez EOS.jpg

Fausto Vera has, unsurprisingly, also fared well. I’ve been careful to rotate him with Ezequiel Ham, as Rolon’s partner. 15(8) apps, three goals and an assist from defensive midfield.

Fausto Vera.jpgFausto Vera EOS.jpg

The 2016-17 Youth Intake is progressing steadily. Fernando Calzado is my favourite prospect; up 2pts in his key atts such as marking, heading, decisions, positioning, and 3pts in anticipation. This guy is a superstar in the making.

Fernando Calzado.jpgFernando Calzado EOS.jpg

Nehuen Perez has been around the first team squad and has started earning games.

Nehuen Perez.jpgNehuen Perez EOS.jpg

Whilst Jorge Montesino is another favourite from the U20s and is looking promising. There are others, but these are my favourite prospects. With another Youth Intake soon to drop, the future looks relatively rosy, except for….

Jorge Montesino.jpgJorge Montesino EOS.jpg

Darkening Skies

The big cloud at the moment is that minimum-fee release clauses are popping up non-negotiably into every contract renewal. All well and good, but these are figures such as £5.25m for Vera – considering I’ve just rejected a bid of £8.5m, with heavy bonuses and a 40% future fee clause, from a Mexican team, you can see the problem. I’ve been careful to keep renewing contracts, but some players are now within their final 24months – I can defer renewing contracts for a while, but eventually these enforced minimum-fee release clauses will have to be implemented. If that happens, you can be sure there won’t be many stars left at Argentinos! I can only hope that Libertadores participation will help grow the reputation and lead to higher clauses, so I at least get decent value. It is a bit much, though, having a player such as Batallini valued at £2m and then watching him instantly transform into a £9m book-value in Brazil.

Because….

Transfers

….2016-17s star player was the first big name to leave Argentinos. With a new board having replaced Chairman Cristian Malaspina, they tried to offload Rolon – even despite a strong bank balance improving incrementally. I protested, and in a mirror-image of the Benitez sale, Gremio immediately stole in for Batallini. With no right of protest, the raiding wingback was sold. That has been the main departure, whilst we’ve just about kept the wolves from raiding Rolon, Vera, Ybanez.

Transfer History 2017-18.jpgTransfers 2018-19.jpg

I’ve been frugal, the mega-gifted Cristian Barrios the only notable acquisition. This one could be a superstar. He also marked his debut by firing a game-winning 30 yard curler straight into the top corner. As you do.

Cristian Barrios.jpg

Finances

Commercially we are on-point. We operate on one of the lowest salary-per-annum in the league, less than a 3rd of Boca’s. A new tv deal has kicked in and we have plenty of room in the wage budget, with Libertadores’ revenues to come. Improving quality will see the wage budge rise, but I’m steady with it and won’t pay silly wages.

Top salary per annum.jpgSalary per annum.jpg

Plans

A squad cull is on the agenda for 2018-19. With so few games – and two more teams cut from the Primera this upcoming season – squad players such as Sandoval, Colman, Cano have struggled for games. I’d like to make more room for the next-gen.

Replacing Lenci was high on my agenda. Heading towards 35, I need a viable alternative. I scouted all season and some good opportunities presented themselves late, but I eventually went with this former-Boca regen.

Emiliano Roldan.jpg

How can anyone turn down a ‘professional’ 17 year old, team-player, future-leader, with monster balance and a sound first touch and off-the-ball?! This was a no-brainer, the next Tevez. Oh and he can play strongly off both feet. I give him 18 months before the big guns are circling.

Other than that, I could do with another right wingback to support MacAllister.

I’ve lost two leaders, Tripodi and Machin retiring. Both are management too, so I haven’t been able to bring them in to coaching roles, sadly. An interesting free-transfer has appeared though. Former-Belgrano, ‘professional’ Jose Rojas. A better tutor for Calzado and Perez I could not ask for. And he’s still got the physicals to do a job and a competent sweeper to boot. Lovely!

Jose Rojas.jpg

Tactics

32221.jpgLibero.jpgStrikerless.jpg

Tactically, I am still running the 3221, although have now implemented a couple of variants and use them interchangeably throughout games, depending on circumstance. I enjoy how this formation plays and any new signing, or youth prospect needs to be compatible. Pre-season will see me use the libero/sweeper solidly, to start developing that side of the defensive structure further.

Ive sold all the Argentinos' oldies by the 2nd January window - people like Lenci and Machin (latter for only 250k - he was one of my few tutors but he was getting very slow and I don't like slow players at all). In the process of selling Braian Romero for 3.2m plus 250 in 12 months instalments. Im buying a younger AM/CF (whose name escapes me) with pretty good stats for 1m plus 2m over 48 months and tho my bank balance is "healthy" at 6m I wouldn't have space for him.

Other than my new cb I mention above and my new rb (Im at office not with the game so names escape me - It think the cb's name is Rollin) I am left only with players whose maximum age is 23.

Ybanez IS great and gets equal match time with Piovi. Not sure about Benitez tho. The two McAllisters I have left are developing slowly but still in the reserves as I still have a huge squad and most of the players are very similar so Im confused as to how to mould exactly my squad (building). Marimon is developing pretty well as expected and is currently valued at 1.8m.

Mid-January 2018 and Im in first 1 point ahead of Boca and still Rosario. Boca beat me in the league but I demolished Rosario 6-0 and yet they haven't fallen off the pace.

12 hours ago, AndySummers said:

Angels With Dirtier Faces; Argentinos Juniors 2017-18

Argentinos’ return to the Primera began in scintillating fashion. The form that had won nine of ten pre-season games continued apace, as we dominated the opening third of the campaign and ruthlessly took advantage of several teams who fancied playing an open, expansive game. Jose Hernan Dujaut and Lucho Cabral were the two names on every Argentinos fan's lips, both contributing heavily and relegating Fabricio Lenci to a mere supporting role in the Starting XI. In fact, Lenci was in poor form, despite the team success, registering only four goals in his opening dozen games. Damian Batallini was also quiet, and the combination that had stormed to success in the Nacional was little evident.

It was difficult to decide where the problem lay actually; whether the introduction of Dujaut and Cabral has irreversibly shifted the dynamic of the team, whether simply Lenci or Batallini (or even both) were just in a barren spell of form. Normality resumed itself just before the halfway mark, Lenci exploding back into life. The old warhorse would go on to have an excellent final few months, netting 18 times and pipping Tevez to the Golden Boot.

At the halfway stage we sat top of a close league.

Halfway.jpg

At this time, we also had….

Copa Argentina Final.jpg

Argentinos’ first ever Copa Argentina final appearance. Which sounded mightily impressive until I realised that it has only been played five times in history. Nevertheless, a final it was, and the promoted upstarts had upset the applecart.

It was a tense, nervy affair. Boca had the best of the opening 20mins, but we scored through Batallini on the stroke of half-time, rising like a salmon at the near post. Events of the 53rd minute were decisive – a flowing Argentinos move fed Esteban Rolon in space. The midfield dynamo had been in outstanding form and his rampaging run forward carved open the Boca rearguard. Steadying himself, only the keeper to beat, he lashed the ball wide, composureless. I groaned inwardly. Twenty seconds later Boca equalised in a goal reminiscent of Arsenal’s third against Bournemouth two weeks ago; midfield runner fed Tevez, who hit the byline and cut back for Colidio to lash home – the 17 year old prodigy who had only recently turned Argentinos down for Juventus (I mean, who would?!). Boca bested the end of the game, not helped by the fact I’d forgotten Cup ties go straight to pens and I hadn’t energised the team with subs. Tevez missed his pen, Lenci scored and that was thoroughly as good as it got, as we missed the next three. Boca took the Cup with a 3-1p win.

Mirroring the promotion campaign, the second half of the season was more difficult, less explosive; teams cottoning on to the fact we are actually bloody good going forward and resorting to the deep-midfield 442s. We were top with ten games remaining, by the time we visited Boca on matchday 24 we had fallen seven points adrift and had suffered a shock loss to 26th placed Banfield. The run up to the game could hardly have been worse, losing six players in the space of a week; both leftbacks, four of the five central midfielders, injured. We went to our title rivals with Alexis MacAllister playing as a left wingback! 3-0 down after 25mins, Kevin MacAllister sent off, we pulled it back to 3-2 at halftime, before Boca torched us and ran out 6-2 winners.

Final Table.jpg

All said and done, 2nd hugely exceeded the media prediction of 12th and my own aim for a top-6 finish. An excellent season with Copa Libertadores qualification. The most difficult element was the fixture list; with only 28 games, fixtures were only every two weeks in the final few months and it really served to drag out the campaign and impinge fitness.

Statistically, the play-style shone. Average possession 4.5% higher than any other Primera outfit, the intricate build-up accounted for almost two-thousand more passes than next-best Talleres. Lenci won the Golden Boot, the playmaking Cabral the assists, and part-time cover defender/sweeper/libero, Torren, easily besting the key tackles, performing well in his movable-part defensive role.

Player overview & Golden Boot.jpg

Average Possession.jpgTotal Passes.jpgOverall Pass Comp..jpgPlayer overall pass comp..jpg

Assists.jpgKey Tackles.jpg

Cabral has replaced Batallini as the fans’ darling.

POTY.jpg

MacAllister Watch

Cliché alert…..2017-18 was a season of two-halves for the MacAllisters. The non-developing Kevin sat forlornly on the bench up until Batallini left the club (more of which later), but earned 12(3) starts and chipped in with six assists. He is now the bona-fide starter at right-wingback.

Kevin MacAllister.jpgKevin MacAllister EOS.jpg

Alexis had an injury-hit opener, missing ten weeks. Out of form when given the opportunity, he didn’t score his first goal until late in the season, before bursting into life. 8(12) starts, two goals and three assists. He is still improving rapidly and is now primed to push on.

Alexis MacAllister.jpgAlexis MacAllister EOS.jpg

Poor-old Francis hasn’t fared so well. Farmed out to Brazil’s Avai on loan, registered two assists in 37 games with a 6.35 average. Inadvertently unregistered on his mid-season return, he has now royally got the hump and will likely soon depart. He doesn't even earn an image this time around.

Semper Fidelis

The Argentinos crèche bestows many gifts. This year, Enzo Ybanez has been an absolute standout. Thrust into the limelight after Benitez’s departure, he spent the first ten games of the season watching Piovi maraud up and down the left flank to little avail. He then set the place alight; 16(4) appearances, a goal eight assists, at a top-club ranked 7.30. 23 year old Piovi, conversely, managed two assists in 16(5) at 7.04. That is a big difference and his progress has been rapid.

Enzo Ybanez.jpgEnzo Ybanez EOS.jpg

Fausto Vera has, unsurprisingly, also fared well. I’ve been careful to rotate him with Ezequiel Ham, as Rolon’s partner. 15(8) apps, three goals and an assist from defensive midfield.

Fausto Vera.jpgFausto Vera EOS.jpg

The 2016-17 Youth Intake is progressing steadily. Fernando Calzado is my favourite prospect; up 2pts in his key atts such as marking, heading, decisions, positioning, and 3pts in anticipation. This guy is a superstar in the making.

Fernando Calzado.jpgFernando Calzado EOS.jpg

Nehuen Perez has been around the first team squad and has started earning games.

Nehuen Perez.jpgNehuen Perez EOS.jpg

Whilst Jorge Montesino is another favourite from the U20s and is looking promising. There are others, but these are my favourite prospects. With another Youth Intake soon to drop, the future looks relatively rosy, except for….

Jorge Montesino.jpgJorge Montesino EOS.jpg

Darkening Skies

The big cloud at the moment is that minimum-fee release clauses are popping up non-negotiably into every contract renewal. All well and good, but these are figures such as £5.25m for Vera – considering I’ve just rejected a bid of £8.5m, with heavy bonuses and a 40% future fee clause, from a Mexican team, you can see the problem. I’ve been careful to keep renewing contracts, but some players are now within their final 24months – I can defer renewing contracts for a while, but eventually these enforced minimum-fee release clauses will have to be implemented. If that happens, you can be sure there won’t be many stars left at Argentinos! I can only hope that Libertadores participation will help grow the reputation and lead to higher clauses, so I at least get decent value. It is a bit much, though, having a player such as Batallini valued at £2m and then watching him instantly transform into a £9m book-value in Brazil.

Because….

Transfers

….2016-17s star player was the first big name to leave Argentinos. With a new board having replaced Chairman Cristian Malaspina, they tried to offload Rolon – even despite a strong bank balance improving incrementally. I protested, and in a mirror-image of the Benitez sale, Gremio immediately stole in for Batallini. With no right of protest, the raiding wingback was sold. That has been the main departure, whilst we’ve just about kept the wolves from raiding Rolon, Vera, Ybanez.

Transfer History 2017-18.jpgTransfers 2018-19.jpg

I’ve been frugal, the mega-gifted Cristian Barrios the only notable acquisition. This one could be a superstar. He also marked his debut by firing a game-winning 30 yard curler straight into the top corner. As you do.

Cristian Barrios.jpg

Finances

Commercially we are on-point. We operate on one of the lowest salary-per-annum in the league, less than a 3rd of Boca’s. A new tv deal has kicked in and we have plenty of room in the wage budget, with Libertadores’ revenues to come. Improving quality will see the wage budge rise, but I’m steady with it and won’t pay silly wages.

Top salary per annum.jpgSalary per annum.jpg

Plans

A squad cull is on the agenda for 2018-19. With so few games – and two more teams cut from the Primera this upcoming season – squad players such as Sandoval, Colman, Cano have struggled for games. I’d like to make more room for the next-gen.

Replacing Lenci was high on my agenda. Heading towards 35, I need a viable alternative. I scouted all season and some good opportunities presented themselves late, but I eventually went with this former-Boca regen.

Emiliano Roldan.jpg

How can anyone turn down a ‘professional’ 17 year old, team-player, future-leader, with monster balance and a sound first touch and off-the-ball?! This was a no-brainer, the next Tevez. Oh and he can play strongly off both feet. I give him 18 months before the big guns are circling.

Other than that, I could do with another right wingback to support MacAllister.

I’ve lost two leaders, Tripodi and Machin retiring. Both are management too, so I haven’t been able to bring them in to coaching roles, sadly. An interesting free-transfer has appeared though. Former-Belgrano, ‘professional’ Jose Rojas. A better tutor for Calzado and Perez I could not ask for. And he’s still got the physicals to do a job and a competent sweeper to boot. Lovely!

Jose Rojas.jpg

Tactics

32221.jpgLibero.jpgStrikerless.jpg

Tactically, I am still running the 3221, although have now implemented a couple of variants and use them interchangeably throughout games, depending on circumstance. I enjoy how this formation plays and any new signing, or youth prospect needs to be compatible. Pre-season will see me use the libero/sweeper solidly, to start developing that side of the defensive structure further.

Congratulations on a great season. I also lost the cup final in season three, to Huracan, which was very annoying.

How do you use Cabral? I just can't seem to get the best out of him at all.

@Chrismatthews16

Cabral plays as an attacking playmaker on support duty (he's the 'Gonzalez' in my 32221 screenshot above - that was just a friendly lineup)

This sees him drop very deep to pick up possession and dictate, which is what I aim for due to the aggression of the complete wingback behind him. He also has a 'hold up ball' instruction too, just to give the wingback that added moment to maraud up with play.

His assists are inflated slightly due to being the set-piece taker, but he had a good season infront of goal too, considering his role.

The league specific bugs thread might prove instructive:

There is a quoted post indicating that February is correct for an intake date, rather than the end of July. Though if this was fixed, it doesn't quite explain why the first season should be July and the second season should be February (judging by @Chrismatthews16 file) considering - my game at least - was started post-release. Unless there was a fix compatible with saved games.

The Libertadores seems to be running fine in my file. Is it a case where you have not yet reached the start date @MANUMAD? It begins around January-February, so if you finished second in 2017-18, you won't start until around that time in 2019 - it is a season-straddling comp.

Not sure what you mean by opening and closing stage - the old-style Apertura and Clausura haven't been a feature of Argentinian football since 2013? The average points table is within the league overview tab. It has been working fine for me. Defensa y Justicia actually finished 16th in my 20017-18 Primera debut season, but went down on average points.

Average Points.jpg

Playing teams only once would be correct, with the '28th' game made up by an extra fixture against one team (in my case San Lorenzo for 2018-19). That's just due to the restructuring of the Primera over several seasons and will eventually even out into the usual double-header format once the league has been reduced.

Which Copa did you win @MANUMAD? If it was the Supercopa, that is essentially only the Argentinian version of the Charity Shield. If it was the Copa Argentina...err....not sure!

Now that I've looked at this more, I'm less concerned. If something still doesn't seem right, it would be worth each of us raising our issues in the bugs thread. The intake is my only real problem so far, but seemingly that has been covered (sort of). It doesn't help that this league structure is so incredibly convoluted.

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 15:12, Chrismatthews16 said:

I am currently about to start my fourth season with Argentinos Jrs in what is turning out to be a pretty enjoyable save.

So far my record is:

1st Season: Winners 2nd division and Cup Winners

2nd Season: Runners Up 1st division and Cup Semi Finalists. Super Copa winners (vs River Plate).

3rd Season: Super Copa, Cup Winners and Champions.

Entered the Copa Libertadores in the tail end of 3rd season (around January). Dunno if that's proper or a bug as per my previous emails. Came 2nd in a pretty difficult group and currently about to face Gremio in the first knock out.

Squad for the upcoming fourth season (original Argentinos players in bold):

GKs: Lanzillota/Alejandro Sanchez (came free in 2nd January window and been pretty great)

CBs: Mosevich (also rb), Kannemann (bought for the 4th season - also rb), Fausto Grillo (a rock in the Argie league - brought in from Velez in the 3rd season), F. Noguera (bought for the fourth season), J. Ferreyra (only recently promoted to the first team), Everson (pretty young Brazilian with v good stats - probably a regen- bought for the fourth season).

LBs: Piovi, Ybanez

RBs: Mathias Suarez, McAllister, Batallini

DM: F. Zuculini, Gas Gil Romero (bought for the fourth season), E. Ham, F. Vera, J. Marimon (first purchase at 200k, now valued at 2.8m and still only 20), Rolon

AM/MC: N. Gonzalez, Arthur Maia (loaned in), L. Pizzati.

AM (SHADOW STRIKERS)/CF: C. Lattanzio (very recommended), Javier Molina (loaned in), Emiliano Letteri (bought for the fourth season).

Tactics (from 2nd season onwards): 4132 (narrow) strikerless

• 2 weeks later...

@Chrismatthews16 - how did you overcome the issue where you could not sign youth candidates at 8th February 2019, season three?

I have just reached this point and encountering the same issue. It seems to extend to all transfers, as no club has been able to make any move in the restricted window. The 'trial' of the youth candidates ends on 21/03/2019 - were you able to pick up these youth players once their trials had ended Chris, with them arriving once the summer window opened?

Hi @AndySummers 

I just waited until the transfer window ended and then signed them all on no problem. It was only a delay of a week or two and as soon as it shut the restrictions seemed to lift.

That one was quite annoying but not a critical bug. However it is getting tough building a team for a whole season and losing players to Mexican clubs and not being able to replace them until the following summer due to the restricted window issue.

The save is just about still playable.

I had two consecutive 4th place Primera finishes and have now moved onto River after Argentina poached Gallardo.

With regards to qualifying for the Copa Libertadores etc .. I ran some test saves and it worked correctly and since playing various saves in full, ive never seen an issue. However ive not won the Copa as a 2nd Division team, so maybe that produced an issue? 

The thing is and its confusing with Argentina, is that the Libertadores starts in January, which is essentially the middle of the season for Argentina. Further complications come with the Copa Argentina running in the same format as the Libertadores, in the sense you start it in one season and finish it in another (based on the league dates).

Good to read all these stories.. agree about the Mexican teams, they have some sort of fetish to spend money on Argentinians :D

Angels With Grim Faces; 2018/19

2018 dawned full of hope; a 2nd place finish in our debut Primera season reason to believe we could push for the title. Despite picking up a first trophy in the Supercopa, I was swiftly disavailed of any thought that 2018-19 would be an easy ride.

Supercopa Victory.jpg

Europe’s finest continued their policy to unsettle Argentinos’ key personnel, and pre-season was nigh on disastrous, winning one of nine fixtures – the polar opposite of last year’s off-season – and arguably not helped by my tinkering with the newly-updated inverted wingback role. We didn’t score more than once in six of those fixtures. That led to a feeling of doom and gloom heading into the truncated new campaign and we started badly, losing to San Lorenzo and scoring only four in the opening five fixtures. We just could not get any attacking mojo going at all and this was to be a feature of the season, with me reaching for solutions; mentality changes, tempo changes, role changes, anything and everything to fire up the goals column.

These problems were also exacerbated by the decline of Lenci; his physicals were declining swiftly and his erstwhile replacement, wonderkid Roldan, struggled to fill his large shoes.

With only 26 league fixtures and playing only every two weeks, the entire campaign felt like a drag and it proved difficult to keep players in shape. An inconsistent First XI selection added up to a perfect storm of disgruntlement.

Fortunately, the arrival of Fausto Grillo coincided with a run of five successive clean sheets as he changed our defensive calibre. This was to prove a feature of the campaign and the real shining beacon of hope. In the end, despite my morose attitude to the campaign, we were actually in a four-way title hunt with Boca, River and San Lorenzo until Boca yet again pulled away around 7-8 games before the end of the season.

Statistically, you wouldn’t know we’d had a bad year; 2nd again, a paltry 39 goals scored (17 less than last season) but a superb 15 conceded (14 less than las season). We finished with an identical 19 wins and only 3pts adrift of 2017-18, offset by playing two games less.

League Table.jpg

Elsewhere, an understrength XI again lost at first attempt in the Copa Argentina. In March we kicked off the Libertadores. It proved a slog; Atletico Nacional counterattacking beautifully to sting us on our own soil, before Palmeiras repeated the trick after we’d squeaked a win over Venezuelan minnows, Caracas. At the halfway stage the situation did not look hopeful. However, some managerial tactical wizardry saw us destroy Palmeiras in Brazil. By the final game we only needed a point away to Atletico Nacional to progress, and we produced a masterclass in hiding the ball to comfortably earn a draw without giving up any chances. As a reward, we have been drawn against Botafogo – the reigning Champions!

Copa Libertadores.jpg

MacAllister Watch

2017-18 was year of the MacAllister. With Batallini now at Gremio, Kevin started the season as the no.1 right wingback. Injury and occasional indiscipline truncated his impact, but he still earned 21(4) appearances, registering 5 assists at 7.21.

K. MacAllister.jpg

Alexis was a revelation. Starting the season injured and out of form, it took until Christmas before he started showing his abilities. But then he exploded and was the key performer in the second half of the year. He netted 12 in 20(5) appearances, assisted 5, and his 7.32 efforts were enough to win him the Fans' Player of the Year award. He is now a key 1st teamer.

A. MacAllister.jpg

Francis, on the other hand, again went out on loan. With contract expired he has been released from the club.

Semper Fidelis

2017-18 was also Year of the Youth, as a raft of talent made their way into the squad. Enzo Ybanez made the left wingback berth his own, making 23(2) appearances, scoring twice and claiming 9 assists. Fausto Vera started 16 times, Nehuen Perez 11, Alejandro Monserrat and Emiliano Roldan 9. In addition to Monserrat, Fernando Calzado, Jorge Montesino, Joel D’Alessandro and Leonardo Alfonso of last year’s youth intake are now also within the first-team squad. Some of the youth legion are below:

Ybanez.jpgBarrios.jpgVera.jpgPerez.jpgCalzado.jpgMontesino.jpgD'Alessandro.jpgAlfonso.jpgMonserrat.jpg

After a long wait 2018’s youth intake was disappointing, but we gained two potential gems. Javier Cuello looks a terrific prospect, whilst Damian Moreda is well-rated by the coaching department. Driven and Professional personalities will see these two thrive in the coming years.

Cuello.jpgMoreda.jpg

Transfers

Annoyed by the lack of productivity – and with the youth legion on the rise – I have now razed the squad of surplus. Legend Lenci has retired, both Colman and Laso were sold, whilst J. Sandoval was not offered a new deal. Add that a raft of reserve team releases/sales and I have really cleared the decks. I have also moved on Roldan to Sporting on loan, for £200k per month to get him to a point where he is ready to lead the line. Struggling for minutes, Nicolas Gonzalez also moved on loan, Almeria offering £50k per month. Hardly lucrative, but it’s all money in the bank and frees up the pressure on the squad.

The two current main signings have been the explosive winger Jorge Valdez Chamorro and a good all-round forward in Ezequiel Rescaldini, both to add a bit more dynamism and experience. The determined Chamorro is also a great tutor.

Transfers.jpg

2019-20; reasons for hope

The main determination is to improve our attacking threat back to its former level. Some of that will be done tactically, as it is evident that Argentinos' burgeoning reputation has opponents heavily adapt their approach, but I’ll also need a root and branch assessment of our impotent set-piece routines (finding a decent FK taker would also be nice!).

The shaping of the 32221 is also now too familiar, so I’d like to bring another tactic into play and increase options. I have yet to decide this, but have been looking at the 442 diamond as a good match for the squad.

Finances.jpgCommercial.jpg

Financially, we are on a really good footing. £10.6m banked, £7m+ in the budget, and our scouts are now actually beginning to turn up decent players who want to join the club - likely a result of the Libertadores' participation and small boosts to club reputation.

We are also, thank god, now part of a 24-team league. Which means I'll have 46 fixtures this season - in addition to Libertadores - and will actually be able to have games every few days! There will be plenty of scope for the youth to progress this year.

Sidenote

The Big European leagues have proven really dynamic. Check these tables; Arsenal and Inter both threw away the title on the final day. The Bundeslia was also tight, Dortmund clinching by 3pts.

Premier League.jpgLa Liga.jpgSerie A.jpg

In my fourth season (3rd in 1st Division) I won the league by about 25points, won the Cup pretty comfortably and got up to the semis of the Libertadores.

I am financially stable (about 12 mil in the bank), bringing in the crowds and have a formidable squad. Actually I want to make it even more formidable (as I do have a big transfer budget for Argentina) but I am frustrated as I cant find decent cbs for reasonable money (around 14 for marking and tackling plus same or similar pace and acceleration) or wingbacks who can tackle and mark properly or cms/dms who are pacey. This is very frustrating and I had to start another save (with ATALANTA) hoping Ill return to the Argies soon.

My squad Ill try to post eventually

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone still playing in Argentina? I moved to River after two 4th place Primera finishes with Argentinos.

So close to glory in my first season, losing the league to Boca by a point and being defeated by them in the cup final.

Second season and made some improvements, bringing in the likes of Ocampos, although I again lost to Boca in the cup final but I did beat them in the Recopa at the start of the season.

15 games left of the season now and I'm level with Boca and Independiente, (we all seem to draw too many games), so here's to hoping I can finally get one over on Boca and win something of note.

Annoyingly they are ruthless and even won the Libertadores and World Club Club beating City 4-2 in the final.

Certainly am @Chrismatthews16. I hadn't posted my 4th season as it seemed this thread had died a death. What a ridiculous season it was too...

Angels With Glum Faces; 2019-20

2019-20 posed some serious questions. After boring myself senseless with the 5221 last season, I spent pre-season nose-deep in tactics and trying to reinvigorate the system. Pre-season went well, very well actually and in Ezequiel Rescaldani I finally found a worthy successor to Fabricio Lenci. The joie de vivre lasted a couple of months but, slowly, we became bogged down with 0-0 and 1-1s. Defensively phenomenal – conceding only 12 in the opening half of the season – but offensively lacklustre. At the halfway stage we were 4th, 6pts adrift of River Plate. I decided to implement change during the mini winter break and dusted off an old favourite, the 4231. I went away from this tactic due to its popularity, but it fit the Argentinos squad perfectly and is ideal for my pressing, attacking ideology.

The change was instantaneous. We hit 28 goals in the first seven games, laughable considering we’d managed 34 in the opening 23 games! Predictably, the tactic was porous and only one clean sheet in the first ten games testament to the ping-pong football I was encouraging. But at least it was exciting and I was confident I could shore the side up as time went on.

Aided by a run of mediocre results, River were slowly reeled in. I finally overhauled them with two games remaining, before promptly losing 2-3 at ‘El Monumental’, opened-up by Sebastian Driussi.

A game remaining, we lay a point adrift and facing an impressive Estudiantes away, whilst River faced lowly Gimnasia at the Monumental. The prospects looked slim. I changed back to a structured 5221 to keep it tight and took the lead through Chamorro with a quarter of an hour remaining. River were 0-1 down at the half, pulled it back to 1-1 with an OG and couldn’t find the winner. With time approaching and the sound of champagne corks popping, we were comfortably holding off Estudiantes and en route to the title. With all subs used I couldn’t change an AM to a DM to shore up further, but it didn’t matter. Well, it didn’t matter until injury time. With the FM gods clearly wanting to indulge in a little drama, up stepped Diego Buonanotte to curl a 25-yard freekick past the despairing dive of Lanzillota. That would be Diego Buonanotte, the dwarfish ex-youth product of River, handing his boyhood club the title.

589bad4c586a5_Leaguefinal.thumb.jpg.d13499bfdd485fbe065ced2a7036b361.jpg

And you know what, I was fine with that. On each incarnation of FM I have been successful, and I am not at all bothered that this file has been a slow-burner (at least in terms of trophies). What a way to finish the season, a proper Argentinian version of Anfield ’89.

In the end, the switch to 4231 ignited the season, although it’s interesting how much of a placebo effect this seemed, as we actually had an identical record in both halves of the season:

589bad4244783_League1sthalf.thumb.jpg.10c828490ab21ad759c16cdfb60946a9.jpg589bad483bba3_League2ndhalf.thumb.jpg.603043d823504ad76f59f2efd5e8bd40.jpg

Other than the fact that we battered goals for fun and ended up with an extra +7 on the GD.

Statistically, we dominated. Rescaldani – injured for the final two months of the season – held off River’s impressive Maximiliano Romero to clinch the Maximo Goleador with 29, and also then pipped Alexis MacAllister to the Mejor Jugador. MacAllister finished as the most creative assister, revelling in his playmaking role from the left wing. Some players really benefited from the formation change; Cristian Barrios (and Lucho Cabral, 10, 10) was outstanding behind the striker and hit 18, assisting 13, whereas Fausto Vera was a goalscoring, creative force as the deep-lying support playmaker.

589bad4f1242a_MaximoGoleador.thumb.jpg.700bf77f92815a00d403e9e14865c2af.jpg589bad5184be4_MejorJugador.thumb.jpg.08e8f8c5f3cb11f0e6cd199e2c0e9ff8.jpg

MacAllister Watch

Fresh from winning last year’s player of the season, Alexis had a similar injury-prone, stuttering start to 2019-20 before destroying the field in the 4231. 2nd in the league player of the season award, top-assister and took out consecutive Fans’ player of the season awards. Again the highest average performer; 7.45 from 37(5) appearances, scoring 8 and assisting 17.

Alexis.thumb.jpg.892ebe26356325a608c3c8b233a27a9a.jpg

Kevin started the season as first-choice, but had to put up with stiff competition from the ever-improving youth product, Alejandro Monserrat. Monserrat has become the go-to fullback, with his impressive mental and physicals, but these two rotate frequently and Kevin turned in a steady 7.19 from 25(4) appearances, scoring 1 and assisting 5. He hasn’t fulfilled his early promise, but is a reliable squad player.

Kevin.thumb.jpg.5eed72bc20fd046725dc67147f60ba1e.jpg

Elsewhere

We negotiated the Libertadores group stage, earning a tie against Brazilian heavyweights Gremio in the second round. Having managed Gremio, this will be a tough draw, their attacking talent is fabulous.

589bad2074a4d_CopaLibertadores.thumb.jpg.7af9621d0e2d723bc2c39df0a12ce83c.jpg

Predictably, we exited the Cup early again, losing 1-2 at Godoy Cruz. At least we made it past the 5th round this time, but can’t seem to get it going in this competition with understrength teams.

Transfers

589bad58ea21c_Transfers2018-19.thumb.jpg.524d0b9c02445f64ffa180f384aa0803.jpg

With a healthy bank balance, but no real need to splurge, I kept a tight rein on finances this season. £2m Herrera the most expensive buy, as quality backup to Lanzillota. What a bargain Rescaldani was though, £400k and a return of 29 goals and 6 assists in all competitions from 35(5) appearances. Not much in the way of sales, Inter poaching the promising Leonardo Alfonso the main loss. The other sales were squad players that had fallen out of favour, such as Laso and Colman. I did receive one mega-offer for Fausto Vera though, which almost turned my head…

589bad1ab495b_BocasVeraoffer.thumb.jpg.267733cd46a35f6adaa2fb1b98f23600.jpg

2019-20 has witnessed a different approach though. With more and more players becoming available as the club reputation grows, I made the decision not to fight overvalued offers. This meant Barrios went to Mexico for £19m - £12m and £7m over 12 months. A huge loss, but this was an Argentinian transfer record and I’d already poached Driussi from River, with the intention of using him as the main playmaker and moving MacAllister inside to replace Barrios. This sale gave me the funds to snag long-term target Exequiel Palacios from the MLS, and I added Julian Fernandez for good measure – an aggressive ballwinner to anchor the 4231. The formation change also meant I had to sacrifice a few more squad members, notably former favourite Matricardi, and also Mosevich – who never really improved.

589bad5c5ae14_Transfers2019-20.thumb.jpg.350814b5d44643a1c1e23a609dbdb8e7.jpgBarrios.thumb.jpg.fc287971e3f0e5f61d97d7e120cd2730.jpg

For atts alone, Barrios was the best player in the Primera.

I've also ditched wonderkid Emiliano Roldan for £7.5m. He had a good season on loan at Sporting Lisbon and scored 17 but gets the hump at every opportunity. Shame as he could have been immense and easily ended as up as valuable as Barrios. Still, I made £3.8m profit + his £2m season loan fee.

589bad290b4bb_EmilianoRoldan.thumb.jpg.d1c86feaa8f7d4d33383c93091308e5f.jpg

The financials now stand as:

Financial.thumb.jpg.d52aab4333c0d4b1abcc0039c105938e.jpg

Semper Fidelis

The 2019-20 youth intake was scandalously bad – so bad I won’t even post it. At least one half-decent prospect joined the ranks, and there are a couple who ‘may’ get there.

589bad0c7852a_AlexisMedina.thumb.jpg.d90f2b8a3b269e83c7628a822e0c3899.jpg589bad10a1439_AndresBettini.thumb.jpg.753cfd2ecf0a05f21940e959442619b9.jpg

The youth legion are heavily involved though. Calzado, Monserrat, D’Alessandro, Montesino and Moreda are all now established in the 1st team squad, adding to the pre-existing Argentinos prospects such as the MacAllisters, Nehuen Perez, Fausto Vera and Enzo Ybanez. Argentinos youths directly promoted by myself made around 250 appearances this season. Damian Moreda is proving the most interesting prospect; 8(10) appearances, scoring 8, assisting 3 and became a big-game player winning points from the bench. He looks to have superstar potential. Here's how the YAs look in early 2020-21:

589bad2cb722a_FernandoCalzado.thumb.jpg.f2edc5fa7395ccbadf399424fd270cb1.jpg589bad096cf4a_AlejandroMonserrat.thumb.jpg.740bb2ca9022c8f2adc7c1fb7185e6a5.jpg589bad36a15eb_JoelDAlessandro.thumb.jpg.9e0dddfbe19741dbfbe098c36d8c4a15.jpg589bad3f86ea7_JorgeMontesino.thumb.jpg.177170f2b7ad248301f9142ccb668ea1.jpg589bad24227b4_DamianMoreda.thumb.jpg.eaab93f24346ef79eb44050f936e8013.jpg

589bad330309d_JavierCuello.thumb.jpg.5c60f23033a549d1d0e327e68fae1f42.jpg

Team of the Season / Club Records

POTY.thumb.jpg.1f930ac6e5bfea0a18530c7e1ce3330f.jpg589bad194379d_BestXI.thumb.jpg.ed80dfd4efa06ecfb26bd9a493f17405.jpg

The 4231

This is how we line-up for 2020-21 (not necessarily the players shown).

4231.jpg

Last of all...

Came across this little gem in Brazil. Can't nab him, but what a prospect!

Vasco 16 yo.jpg

@Chrismatthews16 I don't expect so, certainly not within this file. I can't even remember the last time I changed jobs during a save, usually I'd just move on to a new game.

The only thing tempting me is the 'formation challenge' thread, but I'd try and run that alongside Argentinos.

This game has been great fun, even despite the ongoing bug where nobody can buy players in the winter window and the fact that an unrealistic amount of players won't entertain the idea of moving to Argentina.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Currently have a game on FM16 with CA San Telmo. Managed to win consecutive promotions and have now won the Libertadores 6 times consecutively.

Someone was kind enough to make a patch for the lower leagues on last years version. I was wondering if something similar exists for FM17 yet by any chance?

I won't be thinking about changing till I topple Independiente's record though :thup:

I've made my first ever foray into South American with a save in Colombia with Envigado. Enjoying it immensely so far, though I'm just a year in. Between reading this thread, dafuge's career, and the Wilson book, its really tempting to give Argentina a try at some point. Just not sure what club to pick. Made do a journeyman approach and start unemployed.... BTW, the link to FMGrasshoppers blog with the tips for Argentina.... that was great. And useful for other South American leagues in large part.

10 hours ago, Bjorno1990 said:

Hi,

Currently have a game on FM16 with CA San Telmo. Managed to win consecutive promotions and have now won the Libertadores 6 times consecutively.

Someone was kind enough to make a patch for the lower leagues on last years version. I was wondering if something similar exists for FM17 yet by any chance?

I won't be thinking about changing till I topple Independiente's record though :thup:

Bacorales is working on it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Coming back to FM, for some reason when football comes to an end in real life, I get the bug again. Going South America, its a toss up between Argentina and Brazil, probably my last go at a proper save on this years game.... so I got to get it right!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 16/06/2017 at 14:13, davehibb said:

@bestbrother and anyone else, are you guys still playing in Argentina?

Is the Copa Libertadores bug sorted now? Are there any other issues that arise with a long-ish term save in Argentina?

Its fine if you start a save now, ie after the last patch. Any save prior seems to have this bug crop up.

Ive simmed about a decade and the Libertadores runs fine, thats with all leagues running in South America.

17 hours ago, bestbrother said:

Its fine if you start a save now, ie after the last patch. Any save prior seems to have this bug crop up.

Ive simmed about a decade and the Libertadores runs fine, thats with all leagues running in South America.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Yep, I started the save after the latest patch, so far so good, I've just about completed season 1.

• 6 months later...

*bump*

Starting with Boca Juniors, after experimenting with a few formations I think the 4-1-4-1 is the most stable, but I want my DM more involved than at half back. I'm going to try a roaming playmaker a bit.

Archived