Would prefer not to play for my team

Hi

I have a problem with one of my players that have would prefer not to play for Leeds (my team) as part of his long-term plans.

The background is that he went on loan to my club a couple of seasons ago, and then asked me to cancel his loan as he wasnt getting enough game-time. I think (but not 100 percent sure) that this is the reason for him not wanting to play for my club. But then after I canceled his loan he was transferlisted by his club after not getting enough game-time. I made an offer him and he agreed to move to me even though not wanting to play for Leeds was still part of his long-term plans.

Now I'm a couple of months in and he has been playing really well. I dont want to loose him as he has 199 in potential ability (he's a newgen) and becomes one of the best strikers in the game. He is listed as a key player for the team and plays fairly regularly. But he isn't interested in signing a new contract because of his long-term plans. Is there any way to make it so that he wants to play for my team and sign a new contract? Or are the long-term career plans permanent? I've bought the in-game editor and it doesn't say that Leeds is one of his disliked clubs. He hasn't had any bust-ups with me and in fact I'm one of his favored personell. I find it not very realistic that just because he didn't get enough game time when he was 17 years old he doesn't want to play for my club anymore.

if there is one thing i have learned from bar and others in this version is that i pay attention to squad status. If i bring someone in as a key player, they play every game unless they are just dog tired.I rarely get players complaining now. Even in my Bournemouth save, we are a mid table team but the morale is always good because ive paid attention to the status i give them when bringing them in and play them accordingly

Sounds like you need to keep this player incredibly happy by playing him whenever he isn't injured or suspended & it might be a good idea to avoid criticising or fining him.

Personally I'd look to get rid, 199PA means nothing & you could be sacked long before he ever reaches his potential because of problems in the dressing room & of course there's nothing to say he'll ever reach that PA.

Poor decision to sign born out of peaking at a player's CA/PA values.

I had a chance to sign one of the best prospects in the game for 3,1 mill pounds, of course I was gonna sign him.. Even if it doesn't work out I can sell him for a profit later. I didnt know at the time I bought him that he didn't prefer to play for my club. Only by looking back at my previous saved files did I find it out.

He only demanded first team status, but because my board didn't allow enough wage at the time, I had to set him as a key player. He hasn't complained about lack of playing time since I've signed him half a year ago. When he was on loan he was set as a rotation player. Could it be that it was because I cancelled his loan that his career plans are the way they are? If I had refused to cancel his loan and played him sometimes maybe he wouldn't have had a problem with my club. As stated above, his long-term plans about not wanting to play for my club came from the time he was at loan at my club.

Increasing the squad status to afford him was your first mistake, if you can't afford a player within the club's wage structure it is not recommended to increase the status to get the deal done.

His career plan would likely have been a result of his time on loan & will be because of underuse or poor interactions at that time, I imagine he signed for you because you offered a lot more than others clubs did or that you were the only bidder.

What about my original questions? Are there any way to get around a player's long term goals or are they permanent?

We obviously differ in views in regards to what we can do to get a player, but that's another debate

Your only chance is to follow the advice I gave in my first reply, do your best to keep the player happy & hope for the best or sell the player & buy someone who will be potential less troublesome.

I would also suggest following my advice on changing your approach to signing players, the current transfer & contract system is an area that I was heavily involved in developing.

I would do the following if i were in your position and he refused to discuss a new contract:

1 - Find a suitable replacement

2 - Offer the offending player out for sale - if his PA is as high as you say there will be takers and you can reinvest the money raised to sign the replacement

Sounds like he has no intention of staying with you - he's using you effectively as a stepping stone club to make decent money, play good football and get a move elsewhere. The most likely way for the club to change this in real life would actually be to let your contract expire and bring in a manager he doesn't hate if they rate him that highly and want to keep him rather than profit - be glad chairmen aren't ever that ruthless in FM!

Why the use of all caps? All that can achieve is creating an argument, your use here is the internet equivalent of getting right up in front of someone's face & shouting at them.

Let's try to avoid that type of interaction. :thup:

Why the use of all caps? All that can achieve is creating an argument, your use here is the internet equivalent of getting right up in front of someone's face & shouting at them.

Let's try to avoid that type of interaction. :thup:

Is that directed at me? Apologies if so, not at all what I meant using it on just one word - was more meant as bold-style emphasis on the reference being to the manager's contract rather than the player's given the potential ambiguity.

I feel the OP is getting a little unfair treatment here. Very little of his thread is in regard to his question "Is there any way to make it so that he wants to play for my team and sign a new contract? Or are the long-term career plans permanent?" and the rest of his post is background information, which everyone has jumped on.

As far as the question goes, I have little idea, although I'd like to think that they are dynamic to some extent, for instance if a player wanted to play for club X but ten years down the line, club X had been relegated numerous tiers, then there is a chance that the player would no longer wish to play for them as much.

Entire post, section or a word it still infers the same intent, read it out loud & shout as it's written to understand how it can be perceived.

Main thing is now know & we can move on.

Entire post, section or a word it still infers the same intent, read it out loud & shout as it's written to understand how it can be perceived.

Main thing is now know & we can move on.

Thank you for editing my entirely reasonably criticism of your assessment of the situation.

Well then, do you know why we have the wage limits, even though we have more than enough wage budget to surpass those arbitrary limits?

For example, last transfer window I played through, I had 400000 remaining wage budget and was about to sign players and use up 200-300k, but I couldn't sign them becuase of the limits. So I cheated in $1M wage budget more. I signed the players, deleted the 1M that I added and even after that my wage budget was over $150k remaining, which proves the limits are useless, becuase it blocked me from making signings that my club could easily afford.

Also, I know Messi earns like 750k per week and the key player limit is arround 400 for barca, so it is imposible to renew his (and maybe other barca player's) contract.

If he's a regen and he's gained that long term plan from something that has happened in game then surely it's dynamic and can disappear if he, say wins a few trophies with you or individual awards. Would be silly to make them possible to appear but then never disappear. People change their minds constantly.

I signed Origi on loan for Newcastle and barely played him. He asked to cancel loan and now his long term plan is does not want to play for Newcastle. When I signed him I told him he would be squad rotation but I treat him like a back up. My assumption was he thought I broke my promise on playing time and that's why he won't sign for the club. If he signed for me again I might tell him he will be in the first team then leave him on the bench.

If you told him he was a key player but you only play him fairly regular this might be the problem. If he was willing to sign for you once then maybe he will again but probably not if he isn't getting enough game time. Try playing him more and maybe praise him when you get chance. Otherwise you'll just have to sell him and buy someone.

Archived