FC Vaduz

I know this gets dragged up all the time, but now that the Europa League winners gain entry to the Champions' League, does this give FC Vaduz a way to qualify? I know they can't get in through the league as they qualify through the Liechtensteini(?) Cup, but does this now mean they can qualify for the CL through the EL?

I don't see why not- trouble is I don't think it's a problem they will deal with until it arises, and it won't arise anytime soon (sadly!). But surely if they legally qualify to enter the Europa League, and there is a space granted for the EL winner, then why not?

• 1 month later...

I just won EL with FC Vaduz and I still played in EL the subsequent season. I'm extremely disappointed because I thought this would give me CL football. I've won the swiss league three times in a row now and I've naturalized several of my players. I want a reason to continue with my game but I feel totally gutted right now.

Unfortunately Lichtenstein do not have a national league and, so, cannot enter the Champion's League.

But EL winner spot is not counted to country's total number of spots, it comes as an extra one (like Spain has 5 teams this year instead of regular 4), so basically Vaduz should have this opportunity as well. I guess, UEFA just forgot about this case due to its very low probability IRL.

To me, this seems like comparing apples with oranges. Just because Liechtenstein is ineligible to have any Champions League games via one method (the lack of a national league) should not mean that all clubs from that country are also ineligible to qualify for the Champions League via another method (winning the Europa League). Of course, unless UEFA has actually said in real life that, for whatever reason, Vaduz is ineligible for the Champions League, if the club were to win the Europa League, I don't agree with SI disallowing them from qualifying from the Champions League in FM.

For what it's worth, if Vaduz is good enough to win the Swiss Super League, it's not too extreme of a stretch to imagine them winning the Europa League. Maybe not likely, but not that unlikely either.

I've already responded to your question. Just because they are ineligible for one means of qualification should not mean that they are ineligible for another qualifying method.

What are these requirements? I already touched upon the lack of a national league there. Are there others? Otherwise, Vaduz is obviously eligible for European competitions since they play in the Europa League. Also, as far as I understand (please provide a link if my information is incorrect), the Europa League winner qualifies for the following season's Champions League. Unless I am mistaken, no exceptions to that rule have been or are mentioned. For example, here is an article from UEFA's official website, which does not mention any exceptions whatsoever to that rule, so I am unsure why SI have taken it upon themselves to make an exception where none exists (unless, as mentioned above, I am mistaken and an exception does exist that I do not know about): http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2215121.html

Point being, I already answered your question. You may disagree with my answer, which is fine, but repeating your question is not going to change my answer.

I already posted the bug here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/437059-Switzerland-(Official)-League-Specific-Issues

As always, there comes debate over if this is a legitimate bug or not..

Given it's something that's very, very, very unlikely to happen in real life, there's never really been a question of whether it's possible. If Vaduz got to the point where they were contenders, I imagine it'd be discussed by UEFA, but at the moment it's understandable that they wouldn't participate. It's also understandable why it doesn't happen in FM, for the reasons that someone said in the bug thread. There's hard-coding in there, as Liechtenstein has different rules to a normal country. It would take a complete rewrite of the way the Champions League is structured, just on the off chance that someone achieve it, which is pretty low reward for the work they'd have to put into it.

But with that thread, maybe they'll change it for next year. Always worth raising.

Archived