EHM 1.0.1 Game won't open after tab out/minimizing

THis is where I meant to post. I have the same issue. 1366x768. It happens to me no matter whether I play in windowed, Borderless Windowed, or full screen.

Unfortunately, between this and the chunky time clocks in the 2d engine right now....I cannot play the game. Games are taking too long with all the what I can only call mini freezes in the 2d game

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue here, I can't alt-tab away from the game in full screen (tried 1920x1080 and 1024x768). This bug will also happen whenever windows 10 sends a notification. The screen will revert back to desktop but the game is still "capturing" the full screen. Can't click anywhere. Must reboot the computer.

I'm having the same issue on the two computers I've played EHM on. If I try to exit or restart the game, minimize the screen or enter the task manager the screen turns black and unresponsive and a restart is needed. Can't even change the screen resolution since accepting this new setting also results in a black screen.

Please SI, is there any update here on this??

I appreciate the dev team is small but this has been an issue since the release of the full version - I still can't get a properly working full screen and still can't tab out without it crashing as others have described above. It's really annoying!

Please can this be fixed. I supported this game by purchasing the early release and feel a bit disappointed that the full screen issues remain a problem.

• SI Staff

If the "full screen" option seems unstable on your system and you are trying to run the game in the same resolution (or around the same) as your Windows resolution, can I suggest testing with the "borderless windowed" display mode ?

This essentially gives you the game screen in the same size as the "full screen" mode if you are setting the game resolution to match your Windows resolution and should be more stable on given display drivers/OS.

Hi Riz, appreciate you replying, I don't think I understand what you're saying though sorry.

I'm not too knowledgeable about this sort of thing, so I haven't changed any resolution sizes in the game or on my laptop (Windows 10).

If I play borderless window, I can't see all the text and confirmation buttons at the foot of the screen.

Essentially, I want to be able to play a borderless full-screen mode which I can tab out of without the game crashing, just like I do for Football Manager. I don't know why this is a problem.

I've resolved the issue I was having with tabbing out and screen size, and feel rather stupid now!

The game resolution wasn't the same as my desktop's. I just changed the game to match it and it's worked perfectly, full screen borderless no tabbing out crashes.

Very simple solution but if anyone is having the same problem, try it.

• 5 months later...
I've resolved the issue I was having with tabbing out and screen size, and feel rather stupid now!

The game resolution wasn't the same as my desktop's. I just changed the game to match it and it's worked perfectly, full screen borderless no tabbing out crashes.

Very simple solution but if anyone is having the same problem, try it.

lol its not that. ive tried that long time ago. i have same res. in the game and on the desktop and its not working .

Colorado's post was from 6 months ago, just saying how he solved it for himself.....I was having the issue before but I'm not now (I have a test game going and just tabbed out to my desktop and then back to the still running game without issue)

For my part, I can't run EHM in anything other than full screen mode under Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 4 without it crashing and wreaking havoc on my system. So I just have to keep praying that no Win10 notifications pop up or my screen timeout passes (for example, when I'm on GM vacation in May after being eliminated from the playoffs), because once I pop out of full-screen the game is unrecoverable.

It's been said that EHM is "PC only" and while it can work on Mac and/or tablets it's not optimized for such

Well, the Surface Pro 4 IS a PC in all respects. I think the game engine is what's not optimized. I'll bet there is a lot of basic functionality in the code that's at least a decade old, if not older.

Well, the Surface Pro 4 IS a PC in all respects. I think the game engine is what's not optimized. I'll bet there is a lot of basic functionality in the code that's at least a decade old, if not older.

It's not a PC in the regard that it's running a standard AMD or NVIDIA GPU. This problem has nothing to do with the game engine, it's a display driver issue and everyone that is having this problem are running non-standard display drivers mainly laptops and surface tablets. Not a single user running a desktop with a discrete GPU has complained.

There are literally (in the correct usage of the word) hundreds of thousands of GPU/driver combinations out there and it's not easy to get them all to work. Those of you that choose to use an unusual setup have to accept that they sometimes will have to incur inconveniences due to doing so.

You tell them Ivan! HaHa just joking!

I don't understand the computer talk, it's just never been my thing...but when I googled the Surface Pro I noticed the word tablet came up a lot HaHa

I'm still a big supporter of the idea of fixing all the basic bugs/issues first before worrying about the ability to play on different setups/giant screens/etc

It's not a PC in the regard that it's running a standard AMD or NVIDIA GPU. This problem has nothing to do with the game engine, it's a display driver issue and everyone that is having this problem are running non-standard display drivers mainly laptops and surface tablets. Not a single user running a desktop with a discrete GPU has complained.

There are literally (in the correct usage of the word) hundreds of thousands of GPU/driver combinations out there and it's not easy to get them all to work. Those of you that choose to use an unusual setup have to accept that they sometimes will have to incur inconveniences due to doing so.

This literally (in the correct usage of the word) may be the worst response I've seen on a support board. "This bespoke game works best on one specific platform, so if you don't have that platform you need to suck it up"?

It took the OOTP guys less than half of a version cycle to adapt their display setups to work on the super-high-resolution Surface screens. If the EHM response is, "Find a kludge to work around it or buy a desktop system with a standard nVidia GPU," then it's pretty clear where the market is going to send its dollars - not to Riz and co.

Thankfully, I think Riz is working on this rather than telling his end users they're SOL, so I look forward to the solution when it comes.

This literally (in the correct usage of the word) may be the worst response I've seen on a support board. "This bespoke game works best on one specific platform, so if you don't have that platform you need to suck it up"?

It took the OOTP guys less than half of a version cycle to adapt their display setups to work on the super-high-resolution Surface screens. If the EHM response is, "Find a kludge to work around it or buy a desktop system with a standard nVidia GPU," then it's pretty clear where the market is going to send its dollars - not to Riz and co.

Thankfully, I think Riz is working on this rather than telling his end users they're SOL, so I look forward to the solution when it comes.

Please google "Surface 4 gpu problems". There are known problems both with Intel graphics drivers and with Microsoft firmware.

I no longer work in customer support and you may not like my answer but it happens to be the uncomfortable truth. This exact problem is due to bad drivers and that is not a SI-problem per se.

Buying the right machine for the job is NOT bad advice for anything. If you decide to get anything non-standard then you also have to accept the problems and downsides that come with that decision.

Buying the right machine for the job is NOT bad advice for anything. If you decide to get anything non-standard then you also have to accept the problems and downsides that come with that decision.

If anything outside of a desktop computer is "non-standard" for EHM then EHM is not going to have a very long shelf life.

Laptops and tablets have limitations. Buyers should be able to recognize and be aware of that fact. One of the weakest point of laptops/tablets is their proprietary graphics solutions, another one is their weak CPU-performance compared with desktops.

That is nothing but facts. You can dislike those facts however much you like, that won't make them disappear.

The particular problem this thread is all about is due to non-performing GPU/driver combinations. ALL of those having these problems have laptops or tablets. The only way to fix a problem like this is to contact the manufacturer of the machine and have them update the drivers.

Being the "victim" of a problem like this is a hazard that you should be aware of when deciding what machine you should buy and you should do due diligence before making buying decisions. Complaining after the fact and directing that complaint at someone not the cause and in no position to help will not make things better. We are not dealing with magic here.

I have been in the computer manufacture/service/repair business for more than 30 years now and when I say something it is usually with that experience backing it up as it is in this case. Do NOT buy a laptop or tablet and expect the same performance and reliability and versatility as with a desktop. If you do you're only fooling yourself. And don't blame other people for your own mistakes.

I did not say that anything outside of a desktop is non-standard when it comes to EHM, that is willfully misrepresenting what I did say. Please stop doing that!

I did not say that anything outside of a desktop is non-standard when it comes to EHM, that is willfully misrepresenting what I did say. Please stop doing that!

This is getting pointless rapidly. The long and short of it is that this is EHM's problem to fix, not the end users'.

If anything outside of a desktop computer is "non-standard" for EHM then EHM is not going to have a very long shelf life.
Maybe, maybe not.....it's a niche game, like EHM07 before it, and EHM07 was still being played and rosters updated almost a decade after development completely ended (so EHM has a history of a pretty good shelf life IMO)

I understand having strong feelings about the issue though, as my feelings are pretty strong about the idea of fixing all the basic bugs/issues first before worrying about the ability to play on different setups/giant screens/etc - obviously ultimately SI will decide how they distribute their resources

I understand having strong feelings about the issue though, as my feelings are pretty strong about the idea of fixing all the basic bugs/issues first before worrying about the ability to play on different setups/giant screens/etc - obviously ultimately SI will decide how they distribute their resources

Well, I've been around the EHM community since '05 so I hope I don't come off as someone doing a drive-by attack on the community. But if EHM becomes unplayable because of my "non-standard" setup (i.e., a Surface Pro 4 bought off the shelf), who does that hurt? It hurts both me, the end user, and SI, the developer, because I'll have to stop paying for a game I can't play and start paying for one that I can.

• SI Staff
For my part, I can't run EHM in anything other than full screen mode under Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 4 without it crashing and wreaking havoc on my system. So I just have to keep praying that no Win10 notifications pop up or my screen timeout passes (for example, when I'm on GM vacation in May after being eliminated from the playoffs), because once I pop out of full-screen the game is unrecoverable.

As noted before, unfortunately Win10 is not officially supported as a platform so on some systems (especially tablets/laptops) there may be compatibility issues and you may have to compromise on what graphics options you can use with the game. Hopefully we can improve upon this in the future.

Edit: From a personal point of view, I'm developing on Windows PC systems only but with EHM development I have various extra personal systems at home that I use for testing to try and ensure we can support different platforms as well as we can. I've got some regular desktop PC's with Win XP, 7 and 8 on them, a Win 8.1 tablet and a Macbook. All of them currently run EHM fine (although I use PlayOnMac on the Macbook obviously). But as Win10 is not officially supported as a platform, debugging issues on that particular platform is a bit challenging at the moment.

As noted before, unfortunately Win10 is not officially supported as a platform so on some systems (especially tablets/laptops) there may be compatibility issues and you may have to compromise on what graphics options you can use with the game. Hopefully we can improve upon this in the future.

Edit: From a personal point of view, I'm developing on Windows PC systems only but with EHM development I have various extra personal systems at home that I use for testing to try and ensure we can support different platforms as well as we can. I've got some regular desktop PC's with Win XP, 7 and 8 on them, a Win 8.1 tablet and a Macbook. All of them currently run EHM fine (although I use PlayOnMac on the Macbook obviously). But as Win10 is not officially supported as a platform, debugging issues on that particular platform is a bit challenging at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback, Riz. I'm surviving by playing in full-screen mode (I can't use the windowed or bordereless windowed modes as they keep crashing randomly) and hoping for an eventual fix once you get more clarity about Win10.

Archived