Successfully Selling Players?

Westralian

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but it seemed more suited to ask this here that in General Discussion etc.

I'd like to tap the knowledge of successful managers here who can sell players who dont fit their system, have fallen below what the team now needs in quality etc.

I have never had a lot of success in getting good prices for players that I want to offload. In demand players and hot prospects, its easier to squeeze out a tidy sum for, but the regular "you're just not good enough" players are less so.

So, if anyone has any tips they would like to share with me, and by extension, the community I would be very grateful!

There is none.

If you don't consider them good enough for your first team, most if not all managers from top divisions will feel the same way, and if a bid is made, it is usually due to the team needing backup in that area, and are not willing to hand over a lot of cash to get a "Backup".

Give them game time, play them in cup matches, keep them fit and making useful contributions.

A player may not perform as well as someone else, or be quite the right fit for your tactic, but in any top flight league so long as he's got half decent attributes you can still get good performances out of him so do that and then other clubs are more likely to be interested in a player who has a bit of a decent record behind him.

There's never going to be any quick trick to getting £10m for that player you chucked in the reserves 1 or 2 years ago and haven't looked at since.

There's never going to be any quick trick to getting £10m for that player you chucked in the reserves 1 or 2 years ago and haven't looked at since.

actually...

if you're really successful, then give them an appearance in a CL win (or something similar - even making the match day squad) and then watch their value shoot up

then you'll have more luck offloading him for around the 10m that you wanted previously

Thats exactly what I was saying I wasnt looking for, as I know thats unrealistic. See my comment above. Good advice otherwise though, thanks.

Thats exactly what I was saying I wasnt looking for, as I know thats unrealistic. See my comment above. Good advice otherwise though, thanks.

It's actually exactly what you're looking for. You may think its not, because perhaps reading the forums you've seen others get shot down for it but it is still what you're looking for. Look at your own post, its about getting more money for players you don't want, after you've removed hot prospects & in demand players from the equation. There's not much wriggle room left there.

Another factor though is the size of the database, on smaller databases its a lot easier to sell players and to sell poor players for large amounts just off the back off a good season. Wages is always going to be an issue with players as well, if you overpay wages to secure someone and it doesn't work out, few clubs will be interested in matching those wages.

It's actually exactly what you're looking for. You may think its not, because perhaps reading the forums you've seen others get shot down for it but it is still what you're looking for.

Please dont put words in my mouth. That is not what my post is about. My intention is to simply gather some strategies for maximizing the return for selling players that are not world beaters, and are therefore not easy to shift. I stated that I have had mixed success in the past regarding this, and am looking for some thoughts from others.

Nowhere in what I have posted did i even imply that I am looking to get over the asking price for any player, or trying to game the system. I appreciate your contribution.

I admit that he's not exactly putting words in your mouth, but this thread seems to be you saying "help me get somewhere near value for my rejects" (as you stated in the OP)

its easier to squeeze out a tidy sum for, but the regular "you're just not good enough" players are less so.

So, if anyone has any tips they would like to share with me,

as most have said, you've got to consider who would be interested in them, and how much they'd pay for him

take the example of ManUtd and Anderson IRL - they couldn't get rid of him, because he was demanded too much money ANYONE that could pay the transfer fee (hence why he was released), and wasn't good enough for those that could afford him

so as a top team, you're mainly looking at newly promoted, and relegation battlers for your rejects (obviously not your complete rejects, talking like your 1-2* players)

likewise your rejects, try and loan them out to see interested clubs, then look at what level they're at (obviously not going to get 2-3m if league 2 teams are the only ones interested, think more of the 500k mark [if that]) - but also take his current wages into consideration here too (if they want him for 0% wages, then aim a little higher)

I have had trouble selling players compared to FM2015. I have found that teams wont bid on a player unless there listed, so either way you will get a lower offer than you ask for. in FM2015 i would play as arsenal and sell mertesacker and Carzola to raise funds in the first tranfer window, but in FM2016 i could only sell them after winning the champions league (which inflated there price a bit) and still struggled to get a good price for them.

Im guessing this has been an change in the match engine, which although makes it harder to sell players, it seems alot more realistic.

another example is, in previous FM's i could sell walcott easily in the forst transfer window for 38-40 milloin pounds. In FM16 solf him for 32 mill pounds after winning the champions league with him being the second highest scorer of the competition with 10 goals.

I have had trouble selling players compared to FM2015. I have found that teams wont bid on a player unless there listed, so either way you will get a lower offer than you ask for. in FM2015 i would play as arsenal and sell mertesacker and Carzola to raise funds in the first tranfer window, but in FM2016 i could only sell them after winning the champions league (which inflated there price a bit) and still struggled to get a good price for them.

Im guessing this has been an change in the match engine, which although makes it harder to sell players, it seems alot more realistic.

another example is, in previous FM's i could sell walcott easily in the forst transfer window for 38-40 milloin pounds. In FM16 solf him for 32 mill pounds after winning the champions league with him being the second highest scorer of the competition with 10 goals.

If they are earning high wages less clubs will be interested, and the clubs interested will be less willing to pay a high fee.

• 3 weeks later...

I've found that by simply transfer listing a player, without an asking price, makes teams on the look out aware that the player is available. Then, if there is interest, or a bid, i look at the players 'screen price', and go from there. If by the 2nd week of the final month of the window comes round without interest, I would then offer to clubs at a greatly discounted rate. 8 or 9 times out of ten that's worked for me.

Archived