FM15: Burnley F.C. - Join the Clarets and save them from relegation!

higgins

Burnley_FC_3D_logo.png

Burnley Football Club: FM15 Team Guide

Sketched.png

This year I hadn't started a thread here yet, so this is my annual contribute to SI GP&TG forum, if you're still searching or if you're simply bored of your ongoing save then this thread could inspire you to pick Burnley and build your Lancashire dynasty.

The Clarets have been Football League Champions twice, in 1920 and 1960, but the glory days are long gone and some hard work is needed to assure them a bright future, as a newly promoted club from the Championship they're media predicted to finish 20th in the English Premier League with a small transfer budget and no wage budget available.

Why Burnley?

• A club with no money in the richest league of the world is a fun challenge, spend wisely in your first season and money will come, but staying up is vital.

• You have two nice English talents to start with: Danny Ings and Kieran Trippier, both are waiting to be nurtured.

• You could score goals like this ...

• Prince of Wales is one of your followers!?

As you see there are solid reasons to manage them.

Stadium & facilities

Sketched1.png

Turf Moor

Armchairgaffer5.png

A decent starting point, even if the club is clearly not capable to generate top young talents, if you want to develop your own youngsters you should invest some money, not in your first season due to budget restrictions though, you should plan to build a bigger stadium as well, if you desire to establish Burnley in top flight football.

Armchairgaffer3.png

This is the budget at your disposal, the "avoid relegation" option looks the more viable, I picked that one.

Squad Analysis & Strategies

Sketched2.png

Let's face it, you have a weak team and you could have problems to avoid relegation in season one, of course you could have several approaches at team & tactics building for Burnley, here I'm going to describe how I dealt with them, firstly a quick team overview.

Armchairgaffer.png

Goalkeepers: you shouldn't worry too much about this area of the team, Tom Heaton has the skills to be your regular in your first season while Gilks is a more than decent backup.

Defenders: Jason Shackell is your captain and probably your most solid central defender, a limited defender role could suit him well, Kieran Trippier, as reported before, is one of your best and most promising players, an attacking wing back with a bright talent, Ben Mee is a good left full back who could perform well as a central defender as well, Michael Keane is a promising youngster on loan from Manchester United, unluckily there's no agreed price to buy him.

Midfielders: you don't have any top players here, probably the weakest area of the team, David Jones and Scott Arfield are average players at this level, both are competent central midfielders, nothing more than that, Georgie Boyd is a good and versatile playmaker, I'm going to use him as a creative forward though. You have two good wingers in your team: injury prone Ross Wallace, capable to play even in a more defensive role, on the left and Michael Kightly on the right, unfortunately I won't use wingers in my starting tactic. Nathaniel Chalobah is a rough diamond on loan, use him carefully in the middle of the pitch with attacking duties, he won't disappoint you. You have also an experienced and hard working central midfielder in Dean Marney, here you should decide if use him or sell him as some clubs could make an offer for him, I sold him to Crystal palace and obtained 3.5 M!

ings.png

Forwards: here you have your best player, the mighty Danny Ings, he's only 21 yrs old but he's surely premiership material, be sure to renew as soon as possible his expiring contract. Marvin Sordell is a decent cover for Ings while Vokes (injured for 6 months...) and Jutkiewicz are good target men.

Ashley Barnes is an average defensive forward, an asset you could surely sell to recover some money.

Armchairgaffer6.png

What you should look for: of course your market moves are related to the tactic you're going to implement for the Clarets, anyway you should strengthen your midfield, key battles are won and lost there and a few of your players can cope with premiership opponents. Trippier apart your defensive flankers are below average and you could sign something better, your budget is limited though and hard choices must be made to keep the squad balanced.

Tactical suggestions & possible market moves

Sketched3.png

I like to lose with style, I'm not interested in building a defensive team capable to steal some lucky draw vs. tougher opponents but struggling to win the games you should absolutely win vs. the other relegation battlers, this is why I developed a flat 4-3-3 tactic base on short passing, slow tempo and employing a high defensive line, something like this:

pitch.png

Five regulars were missing from that formations and the only players I was capable to sell to raise some cash have been Ashley Barnes (2.2M), Dean Marney (3.5M) and Kevin Long (200k only).

The players I signed...

in.png

...and my First XI in September 2014

first-XI.png

Intrigued? Give the Clarets a chance, I'll report more soon about my save...

"LM-Smena-Symbol".png

30.11.2014 (in-game date) A quick update about how we're going, the table posted below explains it clearly, we're doing amazingly well, making points that could be vital as the season progresses, Mee/Shackell are a great partnership in the core of my defensive line, Ings already scored 7 and Chalobah (CM-A) is a constant danger in the box (often left unmarked), our 4-3-3 is compact and aggressive, I'm still tuning it but looks consistent, I'm happy and surprised so far.

Football-Manager-2015-2015-01-17-14-24-09.jpg

We'll play vs. Middlesborough in the league Cup quarter-final, a good chance to progress.

Football-Manager-2015-2015-01-17-14-13-09.png

There's a problem regarding Chalobah, his loan expires 02/01/2015 and Chelsea want 100% of his wage (2.2 M) to renew it, unfortunately I can't afford that wage....such a shame cause the guy was really integrated in my formation.

See if you can pick up Anderson from United for nothing. From memory, they let me have him at West Ham while only contributing 20% of his wages.

I will check in January, anyway I have Kenny McLean and Joel Obi (unconvincing so far) who could play in that role.

Thanks.

logo.jpg

Some minor movements and two signings for the summer: as I told you before Chalobah (5 goals for him) and Michael Keane loans finished, the players returned respectively to Man. United and Chelsea, meanwhile Luis Pedro Cavanda (Dr) and Robin Quaison (Mc) arrived on loan from Lazio and Palermo, both have agreed price, I will test them in the second half of the season.

But there's more, I signed on a permanent basis Dele Alli, promising central midfielder from MK Dons (3M), but there's a loan back option in that deal, so he won't join before June when another Mc will join from Genoa, Isaac Cofie, I snapped the ball winning midfielder from Ghana for free.

I terminated some contracts as well, Steven Reid (Dr) and Matty Taylor (Ml) were both released for free, saving 2M in wages. ;)

Brilliant, simple thread Higgins ... liking your photoshop style.

Burnley has to be a brilliant Challenge to take on, will try myself at some point.

Thanks bud, I can confirm it's a nice challenge, lack of money in season one oblige you to make the right decisions tactically, no mistakes allowed. ;)

logo2.png

My first season at Burnley finished with a glorious 6th place that means Europa League next season! Not bad for a team media predicted to be 20th....playing the whole season with my flat 4-3-3 definitely worked and Ings was the 3rd best goalscorer of the league.

We also reached Capital Cup Qtr final (disappointing loss to Middlesborough) and FA Cup 4th round.

Our Best XI: 7 of them come from Burnley original squad.

1.png

Football-Manager-2015-2015-01-19-12-31-43.png

Football-Manager-2015-2015-01-19-22-22-01.png

My team growth was slow but constant through the season (defeated top teams like Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool), Ings was the best player for obvious reasons (see his stats) and having to cite other players I'd say Kieran Trippier and Federico Bernardeschi, I really hope to sign the last one permanently if Fiorentina could ask a reasonable price for him.

Wow! :eek:

It's a glorious win for the "We're going to score more than you" approach. Just comparing your Goals Scored column with everything below you shows how you've achieved this. I wonder what the dreaded "Second Season Syndrome" will bring.....

Spot on RT, obviously I fear s.s.s. a lot, I'll try to fight that retaining the core of the team that achieved this brilliant result, just adding something where is needed.

We're improving the club, a new stadium and better training facilities are on the way, will post an update about my second season soon, we started poorly anyway , this Europa League stuff is having some annoying side effects on my team.

Football-Manager-2015-2015-01-21-13-09-46.png

Looking at this makes my "achievments" with Burnley look poor. I started off as Burnley as I wanted a challenge and I started with the lowest possible manager stats and qualifications to make it that little bit harder.

The first season I finished 17th on the final day, an away point vs City in game 37 kept destiny in my own hands and although I lost on the final day I managed to stay up. My signings included Shane Ferguson from Newcastle cause I didn't fancy Ross Wallace down the left, I got Mehdi Abeid on loan in January and renewed Michael Keanes loan. I played a 4-4-1-1 formation, my starting 11 was; Heaton, Trippier, Keane, Shackell, Mee, Arfield, Marney/Abeid, Jones, Ferguson, Boyd/Barnes, Ings.

At the end of the season the board also gave me a new stadium, they started this with no prompt from me.

I've just started my 4th season, the 2nd was similar to the 1st, finished 17th and the 3rd I finished 14th.

Fantastic season Higgins!!

Monster budget for next season :cool:

Thanks, I didn't expect that as well.

Looking at this makes my "achievments" with Burnley look poor. I started off as Burnley as I wanted a challenge and I started with the lowest possible manager stats and qualifications to make it that little bit harder.

The first season I finished 17th on the final day, an away point vs City in game 37 kept destiny in my own hands and although I lost on the final day I managed to stay up. My signings included Shane Ferguson from Newcastle cause I didn't fancy Ross Wallace down the left, I got Mehdi Abeid on loan in January and renewed Michael Keanes loan. I played a 4-4-1-1 formation, my starting 11 was; Heaton, Trippier, Keane, Shackell, Mee, Arfield, Marney/Abeid, Jones, Ferguson, Boyd/Barnes, Ings.

At the end of the season the board also gave me a new stadium, they started this with no prompt from me.

I've just started my 4th season, the 2nd was similar to the 1st, finished 17th and the 3rd I finished 14th.

Not a problem, if you're enjoying your game it's really not an issue, anyway, as predicted, second season syndrome is hitting me hard, finished 3rd in my Europa League group, mid-table in the league, running on too many fronts is having consequences...

Football-Manager-2015-2015-01-22-20-25-14.png

Finished my 2nd season in charge, another good one with a nice 7th final position, no Europe next season though. We started really poorly losing three in a row, the team clearly had problems to be competitive on several front, anyway we reached the EL group stage and FA Cup semifinal (lost to Citizens).

I made a slight tweak to my tactic to overcome a difficult period, from 4-3-3 to 4-3-1-2 with a shadow striker in the hole.

Ings was still my best scorer with 21, failed to perform in some key moments of the season though, Bernardeschi (13 goals & 8 assists) was my most expensive signing of the season (8M) followed by Kachunga (5M).

I'll have a break from this, it's up to you guys! :cool:

Archived