Generated Players - Youth Rating (Nation)

I am interested in finding out whether the Youth Rating for generated players for national teams is dynamic or not.

I don't believe it is, which is an unnecessary problem in my opinion.

I am currently playing as the manager of the Philippines national team and I am also managing the youth sides as well.

I am doing OK, I have been competitive and have almost made it to the world cup full. Have been getting results such as a draw with Korea and a win against Japan.

The problem is, all my regens are still very *****. Of course I know that it would take a long time for the youth rating to rise, but it would still rise over time.

Now I'm not too far into this game as i'm only 4 years in and my youth rating (according to the in-game editor) is 30, which is very poor.

However on FM14, I played around 15 seasons and saw no change, which leads me to believe it is still not dynamic.

It seems unfair that a team could overachieve for such a long time and maybe reach 2 world cups in a row and still not produce better regens (even just slightly better).

How would the domestic league ever improve without better players coming through the youth teams?

I do not want to have to resort to increasing my youth rating via the in-game editor as the just feels like cheating.

I feel like this is a feature that could easily be implemented which would really make playing as an underdog nation a whole lot more appealing.

• 1 year later...

The youth rating is not dynamic however a nation can improve the quality of its players over a number decades if clubs start & continue to improve their youth facilities, recruitment & coaching but this has to be a number of clubs not just one or two, your example of 15 seasons is still too short timespan & you probably need to be thinking about significant changes taking 30, 40 or even 50 years to happen.

Always thought it should be dynamic as look at Belgium. A generation ago, who'd have thought they would have these players? But like others said, it would take a long time to implement and there's a lot of variables

That will be because the clubs have invested in youth development so that they could sell to clubs in wealthier leagues, the core talent will be more or less as it was in the 80s when they got to a World Cup semi final & the 90s when they were woeful so just as in FM what has improved the quality of their players is how they've trained them.

That will be because the clubs have invested in youth development so that they could sell to clubs in wealthier leagues, the core talent will be more or less as it was in the 80s when they got to a World Cup semi final & the 90s when they were woeful so just as in FM what has improved the quality of their players is how they've trained them.

Of course that is a huge part of it, but wouldn't the youth rating go up because of this. Agreed 95% of it is the clubs/FA investing in coaches, facilities etc plus the luck element, but would the youth rating get a general boost because of all this?

Not really & not for an established football nation, England's youth rating is something like 120 but world class English players consistently come through due to (imo incorrectly) high rated youth facilities & youth coaching at English clubs, iirc Belgium, Holland, France, Portugal & England all have a similar youth rating.

If you look at the nations where the current top 100 or 500 players come from the list will be remarkably similar to one from 2000, 1990, 1980, there hasn't really been a sizeable shift in nations & even the expected arrival of players from the US or Japan hasn't materialised. The only significant change has been in the number of top flight players from Africa which in part will be a result of natural migration, I will have to research this but I get the sense that a fair number of current African internationals will have been born in the EU or will have moved to the EU at a young age & are more a product of European football than improvements in youth development in Africa.

Edit: Also worth considering that the youth rating coves the breadth of football in that nation, Belgium has an solid squad of 15 but do they have much depth below that level & will the next generation that come through be any good? The same could be said of France who go through peaks & troughs, Portugal who bob along until they get a superstar, Holland are also a nation of feast or famine & England are like Portugal just without the superstar, even Spain might end up being brief period at the top (hard to see them drifting back to also rans but it could happen).

TBH there have only ever been two nations that have risen to the top in Europe & when looking at the trophy cabinet & latter stage Finals appearances can be considered to have stayed, of course they're Germany & Italy who stand head & shoulders above every other European nation.

Always thought it should be dynamic as look at Belgium. A generation ago, who'd have thought they would have these players? But like others said, it would take a long time to implement and there's a lot of variables

Not necessarily a long time, but a huge overhaul of an entire country's footballing ethos:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27827569

Archived