Thomas van den Leeuwen - Making De Godenzonen The Kings Of Europe Again

tomtuck01

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh... how do you get your player overview screen to look like that?

I don't know, I haven't touched them at all? (I'm not even sure what you mean to be honest).

Good luck vs. Chelsea! Curious or you can win the Championsleague one day... It's a nice challenge with a Dutch team, I am trying to move up the ranks with FC Groningen.

We will one day - hopefully! The save won't finish until then!

I don't know, I haven't touched them at all? (I'm not even sure what you mean to be honest).

Your picture of you player has a different layout and look compared to mine and I was wondering how yours look like that as it is not the default view

Okay then, not to worry

Chiming in - the screens in this thread are from the "attributes" tab of the player overview screen, maybe that's what you're looking for?

Anyways, great stuff Tom. Wonder how far this can go with the wage cap being in place. Makes it a ton of fun to read, though!

PS - I appreciate the detailed game write-ups. Know it probably takes a little while to put together, but it separates this from the rest. :)

Anyways, great stuff Tom. Wonder how far this can go with the wage cap being in place. Makes it a ton of fun to read, though!

PS - I appreciate the detailed game write-ups. Know it probably takes a little while to put together, but it separates this from the rest. :)

Well it'll go on and on.......it's what keeps it so exciting. Just a few seasons in and, as you can see, loads of players have had to be moved on already.

And thanks for the kind words, I'm glad people like my writing style. :)

Huge profit on Boye :cool: Liereng looks a cracking prospect already.

Was very pleased with the Boyé deal. He'd done very well for us, but over £20million profit in two and a half years was terrific.

As for Liereng, I quite agree, and it looks like he could be deployed in a number of positions and do well. Big plus for me. :thup:

• 2 weeks later...

238px-Ajax_Amsterdam.svg.png

Thomas van den Leeuwen - AFC Ajax - February & March 2018

Eredivisie

February

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Fixtures%20-%20Feb%202018_zps17d4fcyg.png

Five wins from five with just two goals conceded - an excellent month!

We were far from our best against Vitesse at the tart of the month, but despite leaving it late we came away with a 2-0 thanks to late goals from Jairo Reidewald and a fine goal on the counter attack from Leandro Damião in the thir dminute of stoppage time. Six days later NAC Breda came to Amsterdame, and we again won 2-0. Leandro Damião headed us infront after just ten minutes, and with just twelve minutes remaining Jairo Reidewald doubled our lead to seal all three points. We got off to a great start in our away game at Heracles, going 2-0 up within four minutes thanks to goals from Niels van Zanten and a penalty from Leandro Damião. Heracles pulled one back in the 36th minute, but in first half stoppage time we restored our two goal lead thanks to a fine strike from Queensy Menig. Leandro Damião grabbed a second in the 65th minute, and Menig got his second just a couple of minutes later to put us 5-1 upp. Heracles pulled a second back fifteen minutes from time, we ran out more than comfortable 5-2 winners. Feyenoord then came to Amsterdam for De Klassieker. After a cagey first half the deadlock was broken in the 47th minute via the penalty spot thanks to Leandro Damião. We doubled our lead, and ultimately sealed the points, ten minutes later when Donny van de Beek scored a screamer from long range. The month finished with a trip to Den Bosch, and we put in a shocker of a performance but still took all three points. After struggling throughout th first half, we took the lead in stoppage time when Dejan Meleg swept home from close range. In the second period we were just as bad, and even missed a penalty in th 58th minute, but thaankfully Den Bosch seldom tested us and we stumbled to a 1-0 win.

March

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Fixtures%20-%20Mar%202018_zps2aohelcx.png

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Table%20-%20Feb-Mar%202018_zpsnosvjolf.png

Well it wasn't a great month as we suffered our first defeat in 64 Eredivisie matches, but we secured the title at the end of it!

NEC Nijmegen came to Amsterdam at the start of the month, and dealt us our first Eredivisie defeat in 64 games. The first half was extremely poor from us, and two minutes into the second half we fell behind. We pushed to get back into it, but were punished on the counter fifteen minutes from time and fell two-nil behind. Game over. A trip to Heerenveen followed, and we again failed to score as we drew 0-0 - the first time under my management that we've gone two league games in a row without scoring. We bounced back with a 2-1 win away at AZ Alkmaar, but we had to work for it. After a balanced first hour, we took the lead via the penalty spot thanks to goalkeeper Etrit Berisha. AZ hit back just two minutes later, but fifteen minutes from time we grabbed the winner when Ezra Walian swept home a pinpoint cross from Leandro Damião. Another away game followed at VVV-Venlo, and we comfortably saw them off 2-0. Leandro Damião fired us ahead in the twentieth minute, and from then on we controlled the game, finally adding a second in the 91st minute through Queensy Menig. The month was rounded off in style, and indeed the title wrapped up, as we thumped Go Ahead Eagles 4-1 infront of our own fans. Anwar El Ghazi, injured for alot of the campaign, put us infront in just the tenth minute, and then doubled our lead fifteen minutes later. Go Ahead pulled one back before the break, but early in the second half El Ghazi fired home from the spot to seal his hattrick, and late in the day Niels van Zanten struck a brilliant fourth to ensure we won in style.

Title wrapped up, even after a bit of a stutter at th start of the month!

KNVB-Beker - Semi-Finals

March

Ajax%20Save%20-%20KNVB%20Fixtures%20-%20Mar%202018_zpskwbifeac.png

Dreadful, just dreadful. We fell behind in just the second minute, and by halftime we were 2-0 down, with Den Bosch slicing through us with ease on the counter attack. In just the first minute of the second half Leandro Damião pulled one back, but it was a false dawn. Even when Den Bosch were reduced to ten men we failed to really put them under any decent pressure. The game ultimately fizzled out for us, and Den Bosch progressed to the final winning 2-1.

So very disappointing - the furthest we've got in the competition and we failed to get to the final despite facing inferior opposition.

Champions League - 1st Knockout Round

February & March

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Champs%20Lge%20Fixtures%20-%20Feb-Mar%202018_zpshym588ys.png

Superb! Just superb!

We took a bit of battering in the first leg, but got an away goal - and the win - thanks to a Leandro Damião goal in just the 21st minute. Ganso had a freekick saved by the Chelsea goalkeeper, and in came Damião to bury the loose ball in the back of the net. Chelsea dominated the game throughout, really ramping it up in the second half, but we stood firm and kept them out. Come the end of the game Timothy Fosu-Mensah was named man of the match, and it was of no surprise. 1-0 the final score, a corker of an away performance. The second leg was very similar to first, with Chelsea dominating and us looking dangerous on the counter attack. We took the lead soon before halftime when Davide Santon got free down the left hand side and found Vaclav Cerny in the penalty area who slotted home to perfection. Early in the second half Chelsea hit back though, when Eden Hazard slotted home from the penalty spot after a foul from Timothy Fosu-Mensah. Unsurprisingly we faced a real onslaught late in the game, but we kept Chelsea at arms length at and managed to keep to score at 1-1, meaning we went through to the quarter finals with a 2-1 aggregate win. A cracking performance over both legs.

In the quarter finals we face Benfica, with the first leg at home.

Thomas van den Leeuwen - AFC Ajax - April & May 2018

Eredivisie

April & May

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Fixtures%20-%20Apr-May%202018_zpsiaj5iwti.png

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Table%20-%20Apr-May%202018_zpsxd4mw0mu.png

A good finish to the season, even though we conceded rather alot of goals.

The month began with a real thriller against Twente at the Amsterdam Arena. Wel, a thriller eventually - it was 0-0 at halftime! Vaclav Cerny fired us infront just two minutes into the second half, and soon after central defender Damon Mirani had headed us into a two goal lead. A mad six minutes followed just after the hour mark - Twente pulled one back, but we then went 3-1 infront. Two goals in two minutes from Twente though levlled the game up at 3-3, but then an own goal by Twente defender Iheb Mbarki six minutes later proved to be the winner. A relatively routine victory away at Sparta followed, with Vaclav Cerny the star of the show scoring one and setting up the other two for Queensy Menig and Ezra Walian. A trip to ADO Den Haag followed, and we just about escaped with a point. We took the lead after tenty minutes through Ezra Walian, but just before the break Den Haag equalised and then on the hour mark then went infront when we failed to deal with a corner. In the 92nd minute though we grabbed an equaliser when Den Haag's goalkeeper fumbled a Dejan Meleg cross into his own goal. The season was rounded off early in May with a home game against PSV, and after a dull first half it exploded to life in the 55th minute when PSV were reduced to ten men. Minutes later though they went ahead through an absolute rocket of a freekick. Soon after though we wre level via an own goal - the third we had benefited from in four games. It wasn't until the 80th minute that we went infront through Ezra Walian, and three minutes later we went 3-1 up thanks to an excellent Donny van de Beek effort. In the 89th minute we wrapped up the victory when man of the match Anwar El Ghazi curled in a tremendous freekick.

Decent end to the season as we finish seven points clear at the top.

Champions League - Quarter Final & Semi-Final

April & May

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Champs%20Lge%20Fixtures%20-%20Apr-May%202018_zps9566bwai.png

An excellent quarter final showing, and we gave a great account of ourselves in the semi's, but ultimately we came up short.

In th first leg of the quarter final against Benfica we took them apart, with young Niels van Zanten the star of the show. He fired us infront in just the eighth minute, tapping in after Leandro Damião's effort had been saved, and then early in the second half he doubled our lead, firing home from th edge of the area. The game was wrapped up with fifteen minutes to go when Davide Santon's long range effort was spilled into the goal by Benfica's goalkeeper. 3-0 the final score. We were just as good in the second leg, and would have managed a repeat scoreline but for a late own goal from goalkeeper Etrit Berisha. Timothy Fosu-Mensah put us infront eleven minutes before halftime, and then just after the hour mark Benfica were reduced to ten men. Two goals in the space of three minutes settled the tie once and for all, with first Abdelhak Nouri curling home and then Niels can Zanten firing home an absolute rocket from twenty-five yards out. Etrit Berisha's own goal followed soon after, but it mattered not as we progressed 6-1 on aggregate.

Milan were our opponents in the semi-finals, and we were so close to making the final yet ultimately came up just short. Milan took an early lead, but Anwar El Ghazi equalised just before halftime when he tapped home a pinpoint cross from the right wing by Niels van Zanten. The first leg finished 1-1, with us getting a great draw and a what could be a crucial away goal. The second leg couldn't have got off to a better start, with Timothy Fosu-Mensah heading us infront after just nine minutes. We had chances to extend our lead but failed to do so and just before halftime we paid the price as Milan equalised. In the second period Milan got on top, and we had to rely on counter attacks to try and create chances. The tie went to extra time, and Milan scored the crucial goal in the 105th minute through Ajax old boy Nigel de Jong. It left us needing two goals, but it never looked like happening for us as we were totally defelated. Final score 2-1 after extra time, 3-2 to Milan on aggregate.

Disappointing to be so close to the final and miss out.

Thomas van den Leeuwen - AFC Ajax - Season Review 2017/18

Eredivisie

Results 1 - Results 2

Final table - Champions

Ultimately, it was simple again as we won the title by seventeen points. Yes we lost our long unbeaten record, which spanned a massive 64 games, but nothing lasts forever so I can't complain about one loss. We scored a significant amount of goals less than last season, (fourteen), as we hit the back of the net 88 times, but managed the same defensive record, conceding just 28 times. We did take twenty days longer to win the title this year, but we did still win it in March with four games remaining.

I suppose the aim for next season is to got the season unbeaten again.

KNVB-Beker

Eliminated in Semi-Finals

We are still yet to win the cup, or even make the final, during my tenure.

We were far from our best throughout most rounds if truth be told, beating De Treffers almost by default in the 2nd round due to our better individuals - the performance was nothing to write home about. Against Helmond Sport in the next round we weren't much better, having to wait until extra time to knockout the second division side. Yes we thumped Heracles away from home in the 4th round, but theyn we wer poor against PSV in the quarters and only went through via a penalty shootout. The semi-final against Den Bosch as an absolute disaster and I tore into my players afterwards. It was woeful.

Den Bosch went on to win the cup for the second year in a row, beating Groningen 3-1 in the final.

Champions League

Eliminated in Semi-Finals

An absolute brilliant run, our best by far, and we were so close to getting into the final.

We topped our group with fourteen points, remaining undefeated throughout and securing a sound draw in Madrid against Atletico aswell as defeating them 3-1 at home. There were no massive stand out wins, but we were just consistent throughout. Against Chelsea in the 1st knockout round, (some reward for winning the group!), we were superb over the two legs, producing a couple of outstanding defensive displays and managing to do just enough at the other end of the field to take the tie 2-1. In the quarter finals we thrashed Benfica 6-1 over two legs, before facing Milan in the semi-finals. In th first leg in Milan we were superb and achieved a brilliant 1-1 draw. The second leg got off to a great start, taking the lead after just nine minutes. Milan though turned the scre thereafter, and equalised just before halftime. The tie eventually went to extra time, and Milan got the decisive goal the the end of the first period of extra time. A 3-2 defeat on aggregate, but no shame whatsoever.

What a superb effort. A little disappointed not to make the final, but ultimately very proud. Milan went on to lose in the final, going down 1-0 to Bayern Munich after extra time.

Other Information

Squad Stats - Transfers - Finances

Yes we used alot of players again this season, but I absolutely love the amount of young players that are on the fringes making the breakthrough. Abdelhak Nouri really stepped up and made himself a massive part of the side this year, as did Teun van Zweeden, both of which managing 30 or more starts this season. Leandro Damião was a bit of a disappointment this term, distracted by off field issues. His contribution really could have been so much greater.

We spent alot of money over this year, but brought in £120million more. Most of the players who left were once again down to minimum fee release clauses being met. Can't moan about that, not when you see the money coming into the club.

Finances outstanding, with out balance nearly £96million better off than this stage last year. Players sales of course was main the reason, but also extra income made from getting further in the Champions League also contributed. Terrific results.

Player & Young Player

Of The Year

Timothy Fosu-Mensah

Brilliant season for the Man United loanee, just such a pity we are unlikely to be able to keep of him for a third season. He again was excellent at the back be it in a back three or a back four, and even chipped in with some important goals. He'll be hugely missed.

Niels van Zanten

His first full season in the first team, and I'm already worried about how long we'll be able to keep hold of him for. He was just brilliat, whether playing upfront on his own, with a partner, or wide on the right handside. Big things expected next season if we hang on to him.

What Next

I'm now desperate for that domestic cup, so win that! Also another strong performance in the Champions League is much needed if we're going to show to our players they should be staying with us long term and not looking to leave to early in their careers.

Another brilliant season, Tom :cool: van Zanten looks superb :thup: Are you not planning to bring back Mensah on loan for another season? Leandro Damião to be sold in the summer?

I want to bring Fosu-Mensah back of course, but I can't see United letting us have him on loan for a third season in a row. :(

As for Damião, we'll see. He wants to go back to Brazil but we've so far not recieved any suitable offers.

Ajax%20Save%20-%20German%20Job%20Offers%20-%20May%202017_zps78nesq58.png

Interesting offers if I was looking to move.

Ajax%20Save%20-%20English%20Job%20Offers%20-%20May%202017_zps7gttybhi.png

Been offered all three of these positions before I think. Not that I'm thinking of moving on right now, but the regularity of which they sack managers would put me off no end.

Thomas van den Leeuwen - AFC Ajax - Season Preview - 2018/19

Board Expectations

Eredivisie - Win the title

KNVB Beker - Win it

Champions League - Not expected to progress past group stage

Johan Cruijff Schaal - Not important

Personal Expectations

Eredivisie - Pick up where we left off last term

KNVB Beker - Must win it now

Champions League - Quarter Finals

Johan Cruijff Schaal - vs. Den Bosch who knocked us out the cup last term - win!

Not sure why after last seasons achievements the board have scaled back their expectations for this years Champions League campaign. Nevermind though, their stupidity doesn't put me off or chance my ambitions. The one thig I am really gunning for now though is the KNVB Beker......four seasons at the club and the bet weve achieved is last terms semi-final. We must win it now.

Budgets

Transfer: £307,829,655

Wages: £1,811,719 p/w (Currently spending £367,441 )

Balance: £274,379,961 (+£61,892,056)

I can buy alot of players for £5million with that budget! It'll probably go largely unused. Nevermind.

Thomas van den Leeuwen - AFC Ajax - Preseason - 2018/19

Transfers

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Preseason%20Transfers%20-%202018-19_zps67xgov2v.png

(Players below the red line(s) were transferred after the start of the Eredivisie season).

A busy summer once again, with alot of players leaving, but just five coming into the club. It'll be a case of looking for the younger players from the 'B' Team and under 19's to step up into the first team again.

The biggest two sales this summer were those of Niels van Zanten to Milan and Roy Jacobs to Juventus. Both players are just 18 years of age, and I thought would be at the club for a good few years yet. However, the minimum fee relase of van Zanten's contract was met, and Jacobs wanted to move. With just a year left on his contract I couldn't risk losing him for nothing next summer. If those sales were painful, the sale of Abdelhak Nouri was like a dagger to the heart. I'd earmarked him as a future captain, but the overall package offered by Norwich was too good to refuse. £9.5million upfront was les than desired, but they also offered us £20million after one international cap - that couldn't be turned down. The other significant player to leave was Davide Santon. He wanted to go back to Italy, specifically Juventus. They didn't give us the the required amount, and neither did Napoli if truth be told, but £10million reprresented over £6million profit after just a couple of years. The other key sales were of Gino Dekker, Marcus Onnervik and Shaun O'Shea. None of them kicked on as I had hoped, so it was time for them to go and find regular first team football elsewhere.

Here are the five players who joined the club this summer;

Aleksander Thun - £450,000

Found by Marc Overmars. Not the greatest looking player, but for less than half a million he's worth a punt. Hopefully he can do well for Jong Ajax this season and we can reasses him at a later date.

Bobby Boer - £1.1million

Another youngster found by director of football Marc Overmars. At just fifteen years old he has one or two good attributes already, and with time hopefully we can mould him into a great player. Currently a fair way off that though.

Gabriel Fernando - £4million

Our marquee signing of the summer. He'll need a bit of time to gt hit fitness up as he's been injued of late, but I'm sure he'll be a hit for us before he evntually moves on to bigger and better things.

Didier Traoré - Free

Only just turned 18......for a free transfer this really could be a massive coup for us. Looking forward to his development.

Nicklas Helenius - Loan

Another experienced forward brought into the squad, which was definitely needed with most of our frontline being under the age of 21. He provides a different option for us with his heigh aswell. We have the option to make his move permanent for for £4million.

One other bit of transfer news was the renewal of Timothy Fosu-Mensah's loan deal, meaning he will be here for a third season. It'll cost us £150,000 a month, meaning over the couse of the season it'll cost us a £1.8million loan fee.

Preseason Friendlies

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Preseason%20Fixtures%20-%202018-19_zpsufr3proe.png

A busy preseason for us with a tour of China, a friendly tournament in South Africa, and a friendly at Sparta Rottedam days before the Johan Cruijff Schaal. Things went well in China, with us winning all three games without conceding a goal. In the friendly cup we defeated a good Torino side with cosiderable ease, but were poor against Kazier Chiefs and ultimately lost the final on penalties. A much weakened side then defeated Sparta 3-0 days before the meeting with Den Bosch in the Joahn Cruijff Schaal - it was pleasing to have some young lads making an impact, even if it was just in a friendly.

Johan Cruijff Schaal

Ajax%20Save%20-%20JC%20Schaal%20-%202018-19_zpscb0o30wu.png

A solid if unspectacular win, but another trophy collected.

An early penalty from goalkeeper Etrit Berisha got us on our way, and early in the second half Ezra Walian wrapped up the win with a tap in from close range. 2-0 the final score. The big plus point of the game was captain Ganso, who was the star of the show. Hopefully he was showing what is to come when the season gets underway.

The Eredivisie season starts with a home game against ADO Den Haag.

Thomas van den Leeuwen - AFC Ajax - August 2018

Eredivisie

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Fixtures%20-%20Aug%202018_zps15qkdnq7.png

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Table%20-%20Aug%202018_zpsiw5mu1cr.png

A great start to the league season with five wins from five and sixteen goals scored.

We started with a visit from ADO Den Haag, and we saw them off pretty comfortably in the end. Leandro Damião fired us infront soon before halftime, and we eventually doubled our lead ith fifteen minutes to go through Queensy Menig. Dan Haag pulled a goal back three minutes later, but five minutes from time Robert Muric sealed the win with a cool finish. A trip to Heracles followed, and it was goals galore! Leandro Damião struck twice in the opening twenty minutes to put us two goals to the good. Heracles pulled one back just before halftime, but Queensy Menig immediately hit back to send us into halftime 3-1 infront. In the first minute of the second period Heracles pulled another back, but goals in the final twenty minutes from Nathan Leyder and Anwar El Ghazi sealed a 5-2 win. NAC Breda then came to Amsterdam, and we saw them off with two goals in three minutes soon after halftime. Nikolai Laursen fired us ahead, and summer signing Gabriel Fernando scored his first to the club to double our advantage and ultimately secure all three points. We then went to FC Eindhoven and gave them a thrashing. Robert Muric put us ahead in the thirteenth minute, and just before halftime Nathan Leyder put us two up. Captain Ganso curled in a superb freekick eight minutes into the second period, and then with five minutes remaining Timothy Fosu-Mensah headed us into a four goal lead. Ganso then wrapped it up in the 90th minute, firing home after a corner was knocked down by Fosu-Mensah. The month was wrapped up with a scrappy win at VVV-Venlo. The winner came in first half stoppage time though Vaclav Cerny who had been on the pitch a matter of seconds after replacing Queensy Menig. Far from our best display, but three point nonetheless.

September starts with a home game against FC Twente.

Champions League Group Stage Draw - 2018/19

Ajax%20Save%20-%20CL%20Group%20Draw%20-%20Aug%202018_zpsfxahoclj.png

Second seeds once again after our superb run last season. Barring Botev (Plovdiv) - no idea - we have the same group as last season having been drawn with Atletico Madrid and Basel. So, once again, we'll be looking to top the group.

Thomas van den Leeuwen - AFC Ajax - September 2018

Eredivisie

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Fixtures%20-%20Sep%202018_zpsnbqouooh.png

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Table%20-%20Sep%202018_zpsjzhsgzje.png

Another three wins, and after just eight games we're five points clear at the top of the table.

The month began with a comfortable 4-1 home win against FC Twente. We didn't take the lead until just after the halfhour mark, but by halftime we were 2-0 up thanks to a double from Nicklas Røjkjær. Twente hitback early in the second, but further goals from Vaclav Cerny and Nikolai Laursen sealed the three points. My 200th game in management, (and of course with Ajax), was next, and a solid 2-0 win saw us collect all three points against Groningen. It took us until the second half, but Leandro Damião gave us the lead in the 57th minute with a corking finish. With us facing alot of late pressure, Damião relieved us of that with hhis second in the 86th minute, heading home from a Laursen freekick. A tough game rounded off the month away at tycoon owned SC Cambuur, and we fell behind in just the seventh minute. Four minutes later we equalised though through a fabulous strike from Timothy Fosu-Mensah after Cambuur failed to clear a corner. With the game heading for a draw Nickla Helenius grabbed the inner with an excellent turn and finish from ten yards out. A fabulous strike for his first goal for the club.

October starts with a visit from Go Ahead Eagles.

KNVB-Beker - 2nd Round

Ajax%20Save%20-%20KNVB-Beker%20Fixtures%20-%20Sep%202018_zps0pgomlui.png

A comfortable win, but it probably should've been more. We took the lead inside the opening twenty minutes thanks to a curling effort from Nicklas Røjkjær. Early in the second period Ezra Walian double our lead, and the same man wrapped up the win in third minute of stoppage time, tapping in from close range.

In the third round we face Amsterdamsche FC away from home.

Champions League - Group Stage

Ajax%20Save%20-%20CL%20Fixtures%20-%20Sep%202018_zpsothcmzzo.png

Ajax%20Save%20-%20CL%20Table%20-%20Sep%202018_zpszpitv1ju.png

A solid away win against the unknown side to get us up and running in this seasons Champions League. Branco van den Boomen fired us infront from inside the box after just sixteen minutes, and then twelve minutes in the second period Queensy Menig wrapped up the win with a sound header.

Next up we face Atletico Madrid in Amsterdam.

Thomas van den Leeuwen - AFC Ajax - October, November

And December 2018

Eredivisie

October

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Fixtures%20-%20Oct%202018_zpsgwlhrd0s.png

Truth be told, this was a very sound month.

We started the month with a comfortable home win over Go Ahead Eagles. Leandro Damião headed home what would prove to be his last goal for the club after seventeen minutes. Just eleven minutes into the second period Gabriel Fernando doubled our lead, and late in the day Nicklas Helenius wrapped up the win with a thunderous header. A trip to Volendam followed and we just about escpad with all three points. Nickolai Laursen put us one up in the eleventh minute, but Volendam levelled four minutes later. Three minutes before halftime we were back infront thanks to a Nathan Leyder header. In the second half we took an absolute battering, but young goalkeeper Stan van Bladeren was the star of the show, producing save after save to ensure we took all three points back to Amsterdam. De Topper Derby followed away at PSV, and we took a point we didn't really deserve. Timothy Fosu-Mensahn headed us infront after fifteen minutes, but PSV were all over us for much of the game and deservedly levelled early in the second half. Despite the PSV pressure we hung for a sound point.

November

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Fixtures%20-%20Nov%202018_zps8en9dp8g.png

Three wins from three - excellent month.

We weren't at our best at home to Utrecht at the start of the month, but goals from Ezra Walian in the fifteenth minute and Nathan Leyder four minutes before the break gave us all three points. Another home game follwed against NEC Nijmegen and again we were far from our best. After a goalless first half we found ourselve behind with a little over twenty minutes left after NEC converted a penalty, given for handball by Carel Eting. We equalised with eleven minutes to go, Anwar El Ghazi firing home from a lovely ass from Queensy Menig. To minutes into stoppage time we grabbed the winner, Menig striking with a superb half volley. A solid 3-1 win at Vitesse Arnhem finished off the month, with us doing much of the damage very early on. Donny van de Beek fired us infront after just two minutes, and in the fourth minute we had a second thanks to Queensy Menig. Just before halftime we went three up thanks to Menig again, tapping hom after Dejan Meleg's freekick was saved. Vitesse pulled one back early in the second period, but thy never really threatened to get back into the game.

December

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Fixtures%20-%20Dec%202018_zpsxedy0sqf.png

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Table%20-%20Oct-Dec%202018_zpsiy85r2su.png

Not a great month, but we go into the winter break ten points clear of PSV.

Den Bosch away was our first game of the month, and we had to settle for a draw after a poor performance. We fell behind in thirteenth minute, and for a long time we never looked like equalising. With just over twenty minutes to go however we did level up the game, youngster John van der Meer finding the top corner from the edge of the box. After that we probably should've wn it, but in the end we had to sttle for a draw. A trip to Feyenoord followed, and we were deservedly beaten thanks to a late freekick. 1-0 flattered us to be honest - Feyenoord really could have hammered us. We got back to winning ways three days later, beating AZ Alkmaar by two goals to nil. After alot of early pressure we eventually went infront nine minutes before halftime, Vaclav Cerny dancing around four players before curling home. The same man sealed the win fourteen minutes from time, finishing high into the rood of the net. The month, and year, was finished off with a 2-1 win at home to ADO Den Haag. Anwar El Ghazi put us ahead after just thirteen minutes. Den Haag hit back before halftime though, via the penalty spot. Just after the hour we won it though, when Queensy Menig slotted home Ezra Walian's through-ball.

All looking good right now - we're flying. Our first game of the new year is a home game against Heracles.

KNVB-Beker - 3rd & 4th Round

October - 3rd Round

Ajax%20Save%20-%20KNVB-Beker%20Fixtures%20-%20Oct%202018_zpsexktmikp.png

A good win from a much changed team. Young Chilean Nicolás Gutiérrez headed us infront after just ten minutes. Early in the second half we went two-nil up thanks to a cool finish from Nicklas Røjkjær. It was soon three when Dejan Meleg curled home a super freekick, and then with a little over ten minutes to go Gabriel Fernando wrapped up the win.

December - 4th Round

Ajax%20Save%20-%20KNVB-Beker%20Fixtures%20-%20Dec%202018_zpsx6pzqyna.png

A poor performance, but we got the win and we're into the quarter finals. We got the only goal of the game six minutes before halftime, Vaclav Cerny tapping in after a scramble in the box. More goals should've followed in the second half, but some our finishing was woeful and in the end we had goalkeeper Stan van Bladeren to thank after he made a couple of cracking late saves.

In the quarter finals we face NAC Breda, again at home.

Champions League - Group Stage

October

Ajax%20Save%20-%20CL%20Fixtures%20-%20Oct%202018_zpsoeookr4e.png

A cracking couple of results which see us all but qualified after just three games.

After a real first half battle with Atletico Madrid in the first half of our game at the Amsterdam Arena, we got infront just before the hour mark through a super finish from Donny van de Beek. A second arrived in the 82nd minute when Vaclav Cerny slotted home a penalty. Atletico got one back in the 85th minute, but we immediately made it 3-1 to restore our two goal lead and ultimately seal the win, Queensy Menig heading home from a cracking cross from youngster Martin Mezlik. We folloed that up with a 2-0 win at home to Basel, but we left it late! We were on top throughout the match, and we eventually got the breakthrough with fourteen minutes to go via a lovely Queensy Menig turn and finish. Six minutes later and it was all over as Vaclav Cerny tapped in Menig's low cross.

November

Ajax%20Save%20-%20CL%20Fixtures%20-%20Nov%202018_zpsvwhe28hf.png

Two more good wins, and two cleansheets!

Ater just twelve minutes of the game in Switzerland we got a massive helping hand when Basel were reduced to ten men. Seven minutes before the break and we took the lead, Nicklas Røjkjær with the headed finish. Try as we might we couldn't add to the scoreline, but one goal proved to be enough. Botev then came to Amsterdam, and it was another solid if uspectacular win. In the just the first minute Aschraf el Mahdioui put us infront. Ten minutes before the break we had a great chance to double our lead from the penalty spot, but Ezra Walian saw his effort saved. Four minutes into the second half though we did double our lead through Røjkjær, and that was that.

December

Ajax%20Save%20-%20CL%20Fixtures%20-%20Dec%202018_zpsjvnvh2ck.png

Ajax%20Save%20-%20CL%20Table%20-%20Oct-Dec%202018_zpsw9jiud24.png

Defeat, but we win the group due to the head-to-head record between us both. Atletico bossed most of the game, and with telve minutes remaining they went ahead. Three minutes later they doubled the lead from the penalty spot. Captain Ganso pulled one back ith three minutes left but we couldn't find an equaliser and we fell to a 2-1 defeat.

In the first knockout round we face Internazionale, and with us being group winners the first leg will take place away from home.

Thomas van den Leeuwen - AFC Ajax - January 2019

Transfers

There was a fair bit of important transfer business this month, so I've decided I'll post that before diving into our January results!

Players Out

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Winter%20Transfers%20Out%20-%20Jan%202019_zps2cdzfnsl.png

We said goodbye to a couple of Brazilian favourites this summer, as both captain Ganso and Leandro Damião headed back home to Brazil. Both of them had wanted to go for sometime, (six months to a year), and after trying for a while to get decent-ish money for them I eventually accepted it wouldn't happen and decided to just let them go for whatever we could get. I don't begrudge them their moves and wish them all the best - Damião gave us three good years and Ganso four, I can't complain with how they both did for us. The other player to leave permanently was youngster Malcolm Rathipal to Barcelona. He opted to join them rather than signing professional terms with us. We've recieved £1.3million upfront and could also recieve a further £2.25million in clauses aswell as having a sell-on clause. Youngster Timothy van den Dungen has joied feeder club Almere City on loan until the end of the season. He probably wont make it here, but this is a chance to make an impression in the second division. The other player to leave on loan was Carel Eting to Vitsse Arnhem. He is part of my plans but I can't currently afford him as much game time as I want to. Vitesse can do that.

Players In

Filip Verhelst - £2.8million

He has a long way to go, but he already has some decent basic stats for the role I have planned for him. He won't be in the first team just yet, but give him a year or so and he'll be in the side.

Alexandre Pato - £5million

"The Duck" returns! He's had a disastrous spell at Fiorentina, scoring just eight goals in 41 appearances since joining them two years ago, and found hhimself transfer listed going into January. I was surprised when they accepted £5million for him, and even more surprised when he agreed to cut his wages from £79,000 p/w to £25,000 p/w, albeit with very generous bonuses. He left after scoring 29 goals in 33 apps last time, and I'm sure he'll be just as successful this time around. I'm thrilled to have him back!

Alper Ademoglu - £105,000

Early in the month this player signed a pre-cntract agreement to join us at the end of the season, but I eventually decided to pay the nominal fee Anderlecht requested. He's been on my radar for sometime and I'm delighted to have finally snapped him up.

Eredivisie

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Fixtures%20-%20Jan%202019_zpsncxx6e89.png

Ajax%20Save%20-%20Eredivisie%20Table%20-%20Jan%202019_zpsfanvd0ku.png

Two good wins after the resumption of the Eredivisie, and we remain ten points clear at the top of the table.

First we saw off Heracles 3-0, and it took just ten minutes for Alexandre Pato just ten minutes to score on his second debut, slotting home Robert Muric's pass. Brazilian Matheus Pereira made it two fifteen minutes later, curling home from the edge of the box. Early in the second period Anwar El Ghazi sealed the win, firing home after a scramble in the box from a freekick. Comfortable, simple. FC Eindhoven then came to Amsterdam, and we thrashed them. Pato headed us infront inside the opening twenty minutes, and further goals from Nikolai Laursen and Nicklas Helenius put us three-nil up before halftime. Just before the hour the win was wrapped up, Pato hitting his third in two games since his return.

We kick-off February with a trip to face NAC Breda.

KNVB-Beker - Quarter Final

Ajax%20Save%20-%20KNVB-Beker%20Fixtures%20-%20Jan%202019_zpscn3ihq9l.png

NAC came to Amsterdam for the quarter final, and we battered them. It took us until the 28th minute, but Queensy Menig put us ahead with a cool finish. By halftime it was 2-0 thanks to a cracking near-post header from Alexandre Pato. On the hour-mark it was three thanks to curling freekick from Vaclav Cerny, and eight minutes later the same player fired home another. Queensy Menig then struck his second a couple of minutes later, and in stoppage time sub Ezra Walian struck a stunner from long range to round off a 6-0 win.

In the semi-finals we face Groningen, again at home. Can we finally make the KNVB-Beker final?

Pato :cool: Not bad money you got from Ganso and Damiao.

They're both still heavily agent owned, so I guess I was going to be lucky to get what I considered "value" for them. At the end of the day we recouped what we payed for both of them and indeed made a small profit. Good enough for me.

Good point there, Tom. I do find it frustrating when players are heavily owns by their agent :(

Well it wasn't really something I could worry about with the maximum transfer fee rule I have. Ganso was/is 65% agent owned and Leandro Damião 80% agent owned, so buying either of them outright was never an option.

Archived