Thomas van den Leeuwen - Making De Godenzonen The Kings Of Europe Again

tomtuck01

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice start there. Do you find Milik any good?

I haven't really used Milik too much, but he had one ok when called upon. He's only 20 so has time to get better yet, and if he impresses enough I will look to make the loan permanent. (This can be done for £4.2million).

Good win over Roma :D Great to see El Ghazi banging goals in.

I'm not sure if I should be surprised to see PSV 14th in the table :D

I think the term "fortunate" best describes the win over Roma - they really did give us a good going over.

As for PSV, I'm surprised at how poorly Cocu has done so far. Still, I'd expect them to be more of a force again in future years.

Just noticed the capacity...there's a tiny set of terraces left?

I literally have no idea. The info I used was from FM, so assume the researcher has it right.

Very odd that we both had Roma and Bayern in our groups :o

Good luck with Bayern, they are horrendously efficient.

Obviously it's an SI conspiracy. :p

As long as we show a bit of fight agaist Bayern I'll be happy. I'm not anticipating good things.

Brilliant start to the campaign.

Thanks as always. :)

238px-Ajax_Amsterdam.svg.png

Thomas van den Leeuwen - AFC Ajax - October 2014

Eredivisie

AjaxSave-EredivisieFixtures-Oct2014_zps03af948e.png

AjaxSave-EredivisieTable-Oct2014_zps07447be7.png

Four more wins, and even now the title is looking likely.

The month began with a visit from Willem II, and we got the job done in the first half. Davy Klaassen put us infront after just five minutes, and Lasse Schöne doubled our lead after half an hour. After that we were in complete control, and never looked like losing our lead - 2-0 the final score. Heerenveen then came to town, and again we scored twice relatively early to beat them 2-0. Stefano Denswil put us ahead in the seventh minute, and just nine minutes later Kolbeinn Sigþórsson made it 2-0. We had chances to add to our lead, but we failed to take them and it finished in a comfortable 2-0 win. A trip to AZ followed, and we saw them off in some style. Lasse Schöne put us infront in just the fourth minute with a lovely freekick, and the eleven minutes later Thulani Serero doubled out lead. AZ pulled one back before halftime, but early in the second half Davy Klaassen restored our two goal lead. 3-1 the final score. We finished the month with the visit of Feyenoord for De Klassieker. We got off to a great start, taking the lead in the fifteeth minute through Kolbeinn Sigþórsson. An own goal followed in the 32nd minute, and then with a little over twenty minutes remaining Ricardo Kishna fired home to make the final score 3-0.

FC Dordrecht come to Amsterdam next.

KNVB Beker - 3rd Round

AjaxSave-KNVBFixtures-Oct2014_zps2f9fa0af.png

We again made a few changes to the side for this game, so to come through with a 3-0 win was pleasing. Niki Zimlig fired us home in the opening twety minutes, and then Thulani Serero made it 2-0 in first half stoppage time. The second half meandered along with little happening, but fifteen minutes from time Arkadiusz Milik sealed the win from with a nice finish from the edge of the area.

Champions League - Group Stage

AjaxSave-ChampsLgeFixtures-Oct2014_zps295eddb3.png

AjaxSave-ChampsLgeTable-Oct2014_zpsd770ce60.png

It wasnt much of a surprise to lose this game, and all in all we can't complain.

We did very well in the first half, keeping Bayern at bay and also looking dangerous on the counter attack. A minute before halftime though Thomas Muller fired Bayern ahead, and then they got another via an own goal to make it 2-0 going into the break. Those goals really knocked the stuffing out of us, and I couldn't see us getting back into after that. Bayern completed the rout just after the hour when Robert Lewandowski fired home to make the final score 3-0.

We're still second in the group and have a chance of going through. Games away at Bayern and Roma in November will probably decide if we progress or not.

Was just about to say that the league is over. That's the problem with nations like the Netherlands. Domestic dominance is so easy to begin with if you're a certain team or two (Portugal also suffers this problem).

Hopefully your adventure in Europe is exciting.

Demolishing the league as I expected, Champions League could still be a bit tricky yet, good luck!

Champions League will be tough, but I think we got unfortunate with the draw to be honest - getting Roma as the fourth team in our group was horrible luck. I just hope we get through the group so we can improve our co-efficient.

Well you are just walking the league aren't you. :lol: Good to see ANWAR play the Champions League hero, huge result against Roma. Should be a deciding match in Rome to come...

The league is much easier than expected, though to be fair we're not exactly thumping anyone. As for the Champions League, we could still go through yet even with defeats against Bayern and Roma away.

League is over already.

Well, it should be.

Was just about to say that the league is over. That's the problem with nations like the Netherlands. Domestic dominance is so easy to begin with if you're a certain team or two (Portugal also suffers this problem).

Hopefully your adventure in Europe is exciting.

It seems that way yes, but I'd expect PSV to be better in future seasons - really no idea what is going on with them this season, Cocu is just having 'mare! :D

As for Europe, aslong as we manage to get through the group I'll be happy, anything after that will be a huge bonus.

Might as well hand the title over to you now ;)

Ca't really disagree!!

Very unusual to see such a big lead this early in any league.

Everyone seems to be beating everyone else. Except us, we're just beating everyone. :p

Ooh getting easy in the leagues :D

Yep, didn't quite expect it to be like this. :D

Both Feyenoord and PSV have a dreadfull campaign. did they suffer from injuries?

Good start in the CL group. 2nd seems upo for graps

Feyenoord have had a few injuries, but nothig out of the ordinary. As for PSV, they've been relatively untroubled by injuries. No idea what's going on with them, but both have now changed managers.

As for the Champions League, second is possible. The game in Rome is probably key.

Looks like a bit of a procession so far :thup:

PSV are also bobbins on my save.

Indeed its been much simpler in the league than I imagined. As I've said before, everyone seems to be beating everyone else while we're just steaming away.

And PSV have been poor yes, but don't worry about them though - you'll see in my next update that they've improved greatly since Phillip Cocu was sacked and replaced by Bert van Marwijk. I'm already worried about what they could do next term.

Thomas van den Leeuwen - AFC Ajax - November/December 2014

Eredivisie

November

AjaxSave-EredivisieFixtures-Nov2014_zps95ef56e5.png

A good month with two wins and a solid away draw.

The month started with a 3-1 win at home to Dordrecht. Davy Klaassen got us off to a great start, hitting the back of the net in the first minute. Dordrecht hit back though before halftime, but in the second half we again got an early goal to go back infront, this time through a smart finish from Richairo Zivkovic. Lasse Schöne sealed the win in the 90th minute. A trip to Utrecht followed, and a fairly even game finished in a 0-0 draw. Both sides had good chances to win, but the goalkeepers and defences won the day. We rounded off the month with an away game at Groningen. We dominated the first half, taking the lead two minutes before the break through Richairo Zivkovic. Lasse Schöne doubled our lead from the penalty spot with nieteen minutes to go, and even though Groningen got a late goal back the points were never in doubt.

December

AjaxSave-EredivisieFixtures-Dec2014_zpsa7a2f10a.png

AjaxSave-EredivisieTable-Nov-Dec2014_zps9997ebf9.png

An excellent finish to year as we won three out three to go fifteen points clear.

We started with a tough game away at FC Twente, but we came out on top. We went behind in the 21st minute, but we equalised just eight minutes later thanks to a crisp fiish from Lasse Schöne. The same man got what proved to be the winner just a minute into the second half, slotting home from the penalty spot. 2-1 the final score, a sound win. NAC Breda then came to Amsterdam, and again it was Lasse Schöne who came up with the goods. In a poor first half Schöne grabbed what proved to be the only goal of the game in stoppage time, curling home a freekick. The second half was much of the same, and the game meandered along until the end with it finishing 1-0. The month and year was rounded off with another good away win, this time at PEC Zwolle. Anwar El Ghazi, recently back from inury, did the damage for us as he netted twice in the opening seventeen minutes to secure all three points.

A terrific first half of the season. Blowing the title from here would be something special.

Champions League - Group Stage

November

AjaxSave-ChampsLgeFixtures-Nov2014_zpsa8c718fb.png

Two damaging defeats, but one gave me alot of hope.

The defeat in Munich was expected, and in a way it was good we didn't lose heavier than we did in the home game. We fell behind in just the fifteenth minute and from then on it was an uphill stuggle. Bayern grabbed a second just before halftime, and sixteen minutes into the second period they ended any hopes we had of getting back into the game. 3-0 the final score, and I couldn't complain. We then went to Rome, knowing that a defeat would really damage our chances of getting through to the next stage. Early on we fell behind, but we responded magnificetly and got on the front foot. We soon forced a penalty and Lasse Schöne fired it home to bring us back on level terms. From then on the game was a real ding-dong affair, with both sides having good chances to score. A third goal did come with twelve minutes to go, but unfortunately it was for Roma. We defended a freekick well, but the ball broke to the edge of the area and was fired home. We couldnt find a second equaliser, and it finished 2-1 to Roma.

December

AjaxSave-ChampsLgeFixtures-Dec2014_zpsbd3da333.png

AjaxSave-ChampsLgeTable-Nov-Dec2014_zpsb2d3a7df.png

We needed a win to stand any chance. We managed that, and thanks to Roma's failure to win in Munich, we made it through to the next round.

From the off we attacked Basel, and evetually we deservedly went ahead in the 25th minute through Ricardo Kishna. Thereafter we controlled the game, but without adding a second. With just twelve minutes to go Joël Veltman fired home from close range to double our lead, and five minutes later Lasse Schöne stroked home from the edge of the box to make the final score 3-0. With Roma drawing 0-0 away to Bayern, we finished level on points with them, going through to the next round on head-to-head record courtesy of the goal we scored in Rome.

In the first knockout round we face a huge challenge - Manchester City. The first leg is at the Amsterdam ArenA.

KNVB-Beker - 4th Round

December

AjaxSave-KNVBFixtures-Dec2014_zpsb6786f3f.png

Very, very disappointing to go out on penalties, but our young side did show alot of guts.

We fell behind after just five minutes, and by the sixteenth minute we trailed 2-0. By halftime we had grabbed a goal back through Anwar El Ghazi to give us some hope. In the second half we hit them hard, and just after the hour mark Queensy Menig struck a lovely equaliser. We had chances to win it before the final whistle, and then also in extra time despite a red card to Jairo Riedewald, but we couldt find the third goal. To penalties it went, and we had a bit of a stinker as we lost the shootout 4-3.

Annoyed to go out, but proud of the charater the young lads showed.

I signed Queensy Menig on a free on my save

Well done on the CL qualification

Thanks alot. I'm pleased with Menig aswell, he's done alright when he has been given opportunities from the bench. :thup:

Well done in getting through that tricky Champions League group.

Tough draw but then they usually are in that.

Cheers. I'm delighted we got through the group stage, and it was my only aim for the tournament. Anything else from here is a bonus - especially now that we're facing such a good side! I just don't want us to get battered! :D

Thomas van den Leeuwen - AFC Ajax - January 2015

Eredivisie

AjaxSave-EredivisieFixtures-Jan2015_zpsaff5b6d6.png

AjaxSave-EredivisieTable-Jan2015_zps701bee32.png

A brilliant three games after the winter break, taking nine points and scoring thirteen goals.

We came back after the break with a thumping win at home to ADO Den Haag, with young lads making big contributions. Anwar El Ghazi and Richairo Zivkovic had us 2-0 up after just twenty-three minutes, and then in first half stopagge time it was 3-0 when Lasse Schöne fired home a penalty. Late on substitutes Riechedly Bazoer and Queensy Menig rounded things off the bench as we completed a resounding 5-0 win. A trip to Excelsior followed, and even though we weren't at our best we saw them off 2-0. Lasse Schöne put us infront in the twelfth minute, firing into the bottom corner from the edge of the box. In stoppage time the returning Viktor Fischer, making his first appearance of the season, sealed the win. The month came a close with another away win, this time at Heracles. Richairo Zivkovic gave us a great start, finding the back of the net in just the second minute. Joël Veltman doubled our lead after just twelve minutes. Zivkovic got his second immediately after Heracles had pulled one back, and then three minutes later he completed his hattrick. Fullback Nicolai Boilesen made it 5-1 before halftime, and then in second half stoppage time Lucas Andersen wrapped up a 6-1 win with a smart finish.

PSV come to Amsterdam next, the first of three home Eredivisie games in a row.

Transfers

It turned out to be a fairly busy window, with two players joining us and one leaving.

The one who left was Thulani Serero. He had done ok in the first half of the campaign, but realistically it just wasn't as good as it could have been. When Newcastle came in with an offer on deadline day of £4million, I negotiated to £6.5million and they made the offer. It was good money for a player who hadn't and wouldn't always be a automatic pick.

Here are the two who came into the club during the window;

João Pedro - £600,000

I couldn't resist bringing him to the club when I saw his name. That and the fact that my scouts reckon he could turn into a really good player. He has a fair way to go development wise, but I'm confident we can turn him into a sound player.

Ganso - £3.7million

A super signing, even if we only own 35% of him. He's on our maximum wage of £25,000p/w and only cotracted until summer 2017, which means he'll have to be sold by January 2017 at the latest. We've given him a minimum release clause of £14.5million and I'd be delighted if we got that for him. For now though he adds real class to our midfield and can really help us to trophies.

Some great result there :cool: Wow Joao Pedro MK II :D Good signing in Ganso.

Can't wait to see what I can make of him, coaches reckon he could be a star in the future. As for Ganso, it won't be a long term deal, but homefully after a good eighteen months or so we can make good profit on him.

Thomas van den Leeuwen - AFC Ajax - February 2015

Eredivisie

AjaxSave-EredivisieFixtures-Feb2015_zps2a9dce81.png

AjaxSave-EredivisieTable-Feb2015_zps120e400e.png

Nineteen points clear with a game in hand- the title's almost ours now.

The month started with De Topper derby, and despite their recent good form we blew them away. It took us nineteen minutes to take the lead through Queensy Menig, and just six minutes later a second arrived via a smart finish from Davy Klaassen. Lucas Andersen made it 3-0 before halftime, and then five minutes into the second period Klaassen got another to seal a 4-0 win. We then faced Cambuur, again at home, and we really didnt put in a good display. We had all the play and all the chances, but our finishing just wan't good enough and the game finished in a drab 0-0 draw. A third home game in a row followed against Vitesse, and we had to keep fightig right until the end to take all three points. Vitesse went infront ten minutes into the second period, but we equalised five minutes later thanks to Ganso's first goal for the club. Both sides had chances to win it, but in stoppage time Lasse Schöne bent home a freekick to give us a 2-1 win. We rounded off the moth with a terrific away win, as we thumped Willem II 5-1. Mattheus got us off to a great start, firing us ahead in the eleventh minute. A penalty from Lasse Schöne doubled our advantage four minutes before the break, and then the same man made it 3-0 after eleven minutes of the second period. Queensy Menig fired us into a 4-0 lead, and got his second of the game with nine minutes remaining to make it 5-1 after Joël Veltman had scored an own goal. A resoundig away win.

Just six points needed for the title. Next we have Go Ahead Eagles at home.

Champions League - 1st Knockout Round, 1st Leg

AjaxSave-ChampsLgeFixtures-Feb2015_zpsfabad95a.png

Pleased that we didn't concede an away goal, and we still have a chance going into the second leg. City were much better side and created the best chances, though we did look dangerous when we went forward. Jasper Cillessen was man of the match, making some great saves to keep it at 0-0.

The second leg will be tough, but who knows if we get an away goal early on.

Wow PSV are rubbish, but it certainly makes your job alot easier in the league since PSV are your only outright opponents in terms of quality :D

To be fair they've done alot better since Philip Cocu was sacked after eleven games, when they were down in seventeenth. I've n doubt they'll come again in the future.

Thomas van den Leeuwen - AFC Ajax - March 2015

Eredivisie

AjaxSave-EredivisieFixtures-Mar2015_zpsf83213d3.png

AjaxSave-EredivisieTable-Mar2015_zps08d32d9e.png

A sticky patch at the start of the month, but the title was secured nonetheless.

We suffered our first Eredivisie loss at the start of the month, going down 2-0 to Go Ahead Eagles. We domianted the first half but failed to create decent chances, and early in the second period we were punished for that as we behind. Just after the hour things got worse as we fell two behind. In the end it could have been even worse as Go Ahead hit us on the counter time after time as we pushed to get back into the game. A humbling defeat. We bounced back with a good 2-0 away to Heerenveen. At halftime it was 0-0, but in the space of thirteen second half minutes we'd made the game safe thanks to goals from Anwar El Ghazi and Ganso. De Klassieker followed, and we failed to get the win we needed to secure the title, but we took another step closer with a 0-0 draw. Defenses won out on the day, and neither side deserved to score, nevermind win. We finally secured the Championship with a 1-0 win at home to AZ Alkmaar. We again weren't at our best, but we got the points we needed thanks to Richairo Zivkovic header ten minutes before the break. Jobh done. The month was rounded off with another 1-0 win, this time at home Utrecht. Similar to the AZ game, we didn't perform to our best, but we got the only goal of the game, this time thanks to an own goal with just twenty-four minutes to go. Three more points, so I wasnt complaining.

Four games to go, starting with a trip to Dordrecht.

Champions League - 1st Knockout Round, 2nd Leg

AjaxSave-ChampsLgeFixtures-Mar2015_zps504a3ca3.png

Well we gave it our all, but we came up short.

The first half was very even, with City having good chances but also us creating chances on the counter. Indeed we hit the woodwork twice and I feared we'd live to regret doing so. City came out strong in the second half, and in the 58th minute we fell behind thanks to a piece of magic from Sergio Agüero as he dribbled past three men before firing home. Hope sprang just six minutes later when City were reduced to ten men, but a few minutes later the game was all over after Yaya Toure bent in a super freekick to make it 2-0. Game over.

Proud of our efforts, but in the end City had that bit of extra class.

Nice read up till now :D I see PSV recovered under new management and ended up in 4th place.

Ow i saw that 0-0 home against cambuur. What i always do at home against much weaker sides is set my team instruction to "Counter". It draws the weaker sides out when they park the bus.

Good season mate!

25 wins, and the next best team has only 15. You have a 23 point gap between yourself and Utrecht in 2nd, Utrecht have about the same gap to 15th. Is the Eredivisie having a free-for-all open season? :lol:

I've said a few times that it has simply been the case of everyone beating everyone else rather than any side being particularly consistent. (Apart from us, of course).

Nice read up till now :D I see PSV recovered under new management and ended up in 4th place.

Ow i saw that 0-0 home against cambuur. What i always do at home against much weaker sides is set my team instruction to "Counter". It draws the weaker sides out when they park the bus.

Good season mate!

Still a few games to go, PSV can finish as high as second yet.

And as for the draw against Cambuur, it was just one of those days when you just don't hit the back of the net. At the end of the day you can't win every game no matter how you play.

Such a shame you didn't go unbeaten in the league.

It's really neither here nor there to me. :)

You lost a league, I'm disappointed in you tom :(

Should be sacked. :(

Archived