Ultimate Stars And Legends Game FM14 (1880's - 2014)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Clough was a great player too. He was a prolific goalscorer in his day.

His goalscoring record per game is frightening, though the blot on his copybook is that he didn't do this at the highest level. If he hadn't got injured then maybe he would, we'll never know sadly.

I almost suggested him for Sunderland but you've got enough players. If you decided to do one for Middlesboro he'd be an obvious entry for them.

I am doing Charles Buchan Now.

This guy is an absolute legend in terms of football history. He goes on to co found the FWA and produces the first ever football magazine that apparently everyone used to read, he was a pioneer in the game. He also creates the famous: Footballer of the Year Award.

Also played a part in conceiving, along with the great Herbert Chapman of course, the WM formation and the "stopper" centre half.

I did read about his heroics with Northern Ireland! I didn't make the link between being a great manager and being a great captain. I can see how he was obviously a leader though.

I would always make that link tbh. Even if they weren't captain in their playing careers (perhaps simply because someone else was and there can only be one captain at a time) the fact they've moved into management suggests they had leadership skills all along.

This is excellent research! You don't win 3 league titles for no reason! I am sure they will be very competitive too. It will be very interesting to see where the are placed in terms of media prediction. :lol:

If you do have more time, I am looking at the 25 best ever Rangers and Celtic players of all time. So you can work on those, if possible.:thup:

Thanks, Yea I'm more than happy to continue helping with this project. I will begin my research into both squads later on tonight and post my findings.

His goalscoring record per game is frightening, though the blot on his copybook is that he didn't do this at the highest level. If he hadn't got injured then maybe he would, we'll never know sadly.

I almost suggested him for Sunderland but you've got enough players. If you decided to do one for Middlesboro he'd be an obvious entry for them.

Also played a part in conceiving, along with the great Herbert Chapman of course, the WM formation and the "stopper" centre half.

I would always make that link tbh. Even if they weren't captain in their playing careers (perhaps simply because someone else was and there can only be one captain at a time) the fact they've moved into management suggests they had leadership skills all along.

Yes I agree, there is always a link between a great leader and a great manager. I should of made that link with Bingham. He was very well respected in his career as well.

I am not bringing back Middlesbrough so luckily I don't have to consider that! Besides, I have brought back the hatred between him and Don Revie so I am looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds!

I have no doubt he would of done it at the highest level as a player. He was special all round, I read reports that he had no fear at all on the pitch and used to go past players like they were not there, and scored prolifically.

Yes I read about his part in the WM Formation (Buchan) He has had a massive effect on the game overall.

Kevin Ball and Charlie Hurley are spot-on now :)

Charles Buchan - I'd maybe just nudge down his jumping & heading, so the emphasis is more on skill than power - unless you're found otherwise in your research?

Raich Carter, I'd still bring flair down to about 14, otherwise he'll be doing Messi-like stuff and I would still take away those midfield positions - he was a forward.

Thanks, Yea I'm more than happy to continue helping with this project. I will begin my research into both squads later on tonight and post my findings.

That's great. I look forward to the updates! This will save me a lot of time as well.:thup:

BobbyKerr_OverviewProfile_zps0334e441.png

I've met Bobby Kerr, he's a tiny little bloke (the "little" general is literal) who isn't going to outjump anyone so I'd go for a very low jumping stat. Probably also bring heading down a bit to about 10.

He needs much higher decisions, again he was the little "general". Ditto creativity so he can see the full picture. Could also complement with the preferred move "dictates tempo".

2-3 points improvement to first touch, passing, and crossing (he could whip in a ball).

Very slight nudge to technique, 1 or 2 points. 3 points to anticipation & concentration.

I would bring down by 3 points marking, tackling, and positioning. The increase in concentration will help him to mark as a midfielder would, without him ending up with attributes that make him look like a defender.

Corners should be about 14 - I think he was our regular corner taker at that time. It was his corner that led to the goal in that 1973 game.

Off the ball I'd nudge up by 2-3 points otherwise he'll be too static in midfield when he was quite dynamic.

Pace, I'd bring down 2-3 notches, with very slight increase in acceleration (1 or 2, no more than that). Again, that theme of slightly nippy, but not quick.

Balance is maybe a little too good, bring down by 1-2.

Re. his position, I'd be pretty confident you could put M® as competent or accomplished - but not AM®. That said, he might warrant a high versatility stat - he'd willing play anywhere you wanted him to and would do a job for you.

What other teams are you thinking of creating Fenech?

I've already brought most of the top teams back. I wont be bringing back many more now. I just want a full premiership which I have but if someone put together a top 25 themselves, I will always consider it. Here is a look at what the teams in the premiership which are coming back will be. I will also possibly bring back Portsmouth and either they or Wimbledon will have to start in the championship depending on which club ends up with the better team.

In terms of Europe and rest of the world, im bringing back legends and stars for all clubs around the world but in terms of bringing back 25 player teams, only the top top clubs in the world will be brought back in that way. e.g Bayern, ajax, psv, Milan, juve etc etc.

I have 780 legends and stars in this game so far (and counting) and I fully expect there to be at least 1000 by the time the game is released.

Game__UntitledGame__GameAddNewManager_zps19428108.png

Kevin Ball and Charlie Hurley are spot-on now :)

Charles Buchan - I'd maybe just nudge down his jumping & heading, so the emphasis is more on skill than power - unless you're found otherwise in your research?

Raich Carter, I'd still bring flair down to about 14, otherwise he'll be doing Messi-like stuff and I would still take away those midfield positions - he was a forward.

I do have a picture of him scoring with his head. :lol: Back when he played for the Gunners.

I am nudging down his heading and jumping and will post shortly (Buchan)

Not sure if you would remember this one, but i'll try you anyway. :lol:

JohnAuld_OverviewProfile_zps4c6b4700.png

Just a bit before my time lol

I don't know much about this guy. I'm guessing powerful defender in which case this looks good.

The only thing I'd tweak, and this is really based on my experience of how the ME works, is that anticipation is really important, especially for defenders (and strikers) so I'd nudge that up by 2-3 points.

You could easily lose 2-3 points from Off the Ball to compensate.

RaichCarter_OverviewProfile-2_zps248c8355.png

I hadn't noticed before, but his free-kicks are at "1" which I can't believe to be the case. As an all-round skillful player, he'd at least be competent at these, around the 10-12 mark.

Also as a team player, probably nudge marking up by 3-4, at least then he'll be good enough to have in the box to defend against corners.

If its a case of CA / PA maxing out and you need to reduce things elsewhere I'd reduce the following.

Corners - you could bring this down a lot as I very much doubt, in his day, he ever took them.

Probably 1 point from any number of the current blue ones - he'll still be very good / amazing.

Just a bit before my time lol

I don't know much about this guy. I'm guessing powerful defender in which case this looks good.

The only thing I'd tweak, and this is really based on my experience of how the ME works, is that anticipation is really important, especially for defenders (and strikers) so I'd nudge that up by 2-3 points.

You could easily lose 2-3 points from Off the Ball to compensate.

This has now been completed!

Looks like there should be slight changes from my previous Wolves submission. Based on opinion of the supporters after I showed them the final 25, ill post the updated list in a minute.

Great. I look forward to the updates! :thup:

GK

Bert Williams

Matt Murray

Malcolm Finlayson

CB

Stan Cullis

Billy Wright

Frank Munro

Joleon Lescott

John Mcalle

RB

Bill Slater

Geoff Palmer

LB

Derek Parkin

Bobby Thomson

MR

Norman Deeley

Johnny Hancocks

ML

Dave Wagstaffe

Jimmy Mullen

MC

Kenny Hibbitt

Peter Broadbent

Ron Flowers

Mike Bailey

ST

Steve Bull

John Richards

Derek Dougan

Peter Knowles

Dennis Westcott

The main debate has been over the Strikers, since Wolves has quite a few great strikers in the clubs history. I have removed Robbie Keane (st) and Alex Rae (cm) and Andy Thompson (lb) for Knowles (st) Westcott (st) and Bobby Thomson (lb)

I have also posted them the revised list, so hopefully this now won't be far of the final submission.

GK

Bert Williams

Matt Murray

Malcolm Finlayson

CB

Stan Cullis

Billy Wright

Frank Munro

Joleon Lescott

John Mcalle

RB

Bill Slater

Geoff Palmer

LB

Derek Parkin

Bobby Thomson

MR

Norman Deeley

Johnny Hancocks

ML

Dave Wagstaffe

Jimmy Mullen

MC

Kenny Hibbitt

Peter Broadbent

Ron Flowers

Mike Bailey

ST

Steve Bull

John Richards

Derek Dougan

Peter Knowles

Dennis Westcott

The main debate has been over the Strikers, since Wolves has quite a few great strikers in the clubs history. I have removed Robbie Keane (st) and Alex Rae (cm) and Andy Thompson (lb) for Knowles (st) Westcott (st) and Bobby Thomson (lb)

I have also posted them the revised list, so hopefully this now won't be far of the final submission.

That's great. I really appreciate all your help with this team. :thup: They are a massive club and this gives me such a big head start in bringing them back. Many thanks!

That's great. I really appreciate all your help with this team. :thup: They are a massive club and this gives me such a big head start in bringing them back. Many thanks!

I'm looking into Celtic and Rangers tonight and will probably compile and submit something tomorrow. this shouldn't be to hard a task. They're fan-bases are so big that this question has been asked time and time again, from what I have found through searching so far.

I'm looking into Celtic and Rangers tonight and will probably compile and submit something tomorrow. this shouldn't be to hard a task. They're fan-bases are so big that this question has been asked time and time again, from what I have found through searching so far.

That's great, and the main thing is that you can find the top 25 players, 2 for each positions, so the hard part won't be finding the players but trying cut it down to the top 25 players that ever played from those clubs from 1800's - 2014 will be challenging. It's important that each squad has its 25 best ever players in each position back and ready to play. I think you will find them very interesting clubs to research, there was a lot of talent in Scotland at the turn of the century so I am really looking forward to the results!

They had a rule in Scotland back in the day, that unless you played in Scotland, you could not be called up to play for Scotland National team, so e.g. there were a lot of great talented players playing in England but never got an international cap because of that rule! so they would go to rangers and celtic / other Scottish teams, just to get picked for the national team.

Also if a player at the turn of the century has even a small amount of international caps, that probably translates into a lot of international caps today because they had so few international games back then so only the crème de la crème was picked...

Burnley Football Club is a professional Premier League club based in Burnley, Lancashire. Nicknamed the Clarets, due to the dominant colour of their home shirts, they were one of the founder members of the Football League in 1888. The club colours of claret and blue were adopted in 1910 in tribute to the dominant club of English football Aston Villa. It was thought the colours might lift and inspire Burnley too. Their home ground since 1883 has been Turf Moor.

The team of the 1950s revolved around the midfield duo of Jimmy Adamson and Jimmy McIlroy (a new stand was named after the latter in the 1990s) and these two were key to the championship-winning team of 1959–1960 managed by Potts (who now gives his name to the road which Turf Moor occupies). After a tense season in which Tottenham Hotspur and Wolverhampton Wanderers were the other main protagonists in the chase for the league title, Burnley clinched the championship at Maine Road, Manchester with a 2–1 victory on 2 May 1960 with goals from Brian Pilkington and Trevor Meredith. Although they had been in contention all season, Burnley had never led the table until this last match was played out. The following season Burnley played in European competition for the first time beating Reims and losing to Hamburger SV.

We bring back a mixture of the 20's and the 50's championship winning teams. You may remember Mike Phelan from his Manchester United days, or Leighton James, another welsh left winger from days gone by! We welcome back Burnley! This might not be the final Burnley team, but It is very close to it.

Chairman Bob Lord

Manager Harry Potts

Burnley_SquadPlayers-2_zpsc762a861.png

BobbyKerr_OverviewProfile-2_zpsb2e609b8.png

Tbh I think he might be overpowered now, but I'll add details later. :)

At the end of the day it depends what you want to achieve. Do you want "scale" i.e. Cruyff to be better than Kerr, or for each team to be competing on a level playing field?

BobbyKerr_OverviewProfile-2_zpsb2e609b8.png

As you're still up at night, I did say crossing = 14 I'm sure.

Nudge down those blue attributes except for teamwork & workrate.

Esp. bring decisions down. He was great at that but not a 20 - reserve that for the likes of Cruyff, Pirlo. 14-15 will be fine for Bobby Kerr.

Oh and please feel free to tell me to p*** off - I am taking way too much of this thread now :( and I need to stop.

As you're still up at night, I did say crossing = 14 I'm sure.

Nudge down those blue attributes except for teamwork & workrate.

Esp. bring decisions down. He was great at that but not a 20 - reserve that for the likes of Cruyff, Pirlo. 14-15 will be fine for Bobby Kerr.

Oh and please feel free to tell me to p*** off - I am taking way too much of this thread now :( and I need to stop.

No, Keep them coming, its great having an expert on Sunderland to help out. I want to get the team as good as possible, so feel free to continue take over the thread!

In regards Kerr, when you said he was a general, I thought he must of been a great decision maker!

Also I have him down for some reason as a very dirty player, can you confirm if this is the case?

I will update soon.

No, Keep them coming, its great having an expert on Sunderland to help out. I want to get the team as good as possible, so feel free to continue take over the thread!

In regards Kerr, when you said he was a general, I thought he must of been a great decision maker!

Also I have him down for some reason as a very dirty player, can you confirm if this is the case?

I will update soon.

His decision-making, as per a general, certainly should be very good - I just don't think it should be 20.

Btw I would nudge his dribbling down a couple of points.

This does depend on how you're doing this. If you want most players to be broadly comparable then lots of 20s are fine. But if you want scale, then the likes of Cruyff, Zidane etc. should be 20, with the likes of Kerr at about 15-16 - if that makes any sense. Thats a decision for you though obviously :)

I don't recall him being dirty at all. He was known as a sportsman and good all-round egg. He could look after himself though so keep the aggression stat as it is, maybe a little higher so that he's combative & competitive. But not a dirty player.

http://www.thestatcat.co.uk/Player.aspx?PlayerID=503

^^^ 433 appearances, 10 yellows, only 1 red.

Chairman: Milan Mandaric

Manager: Jack Tinn

Assistant: Jim Smith

Backroom: Joe Jordan, Mark Chamberlin, Eddie Howe, Kit Symonns

Squad:

Keepers: David James, Alan Knight, John Milkins

LB: Jimmy Dickinson, Hermann Hreidersson

CB: Noel Blake, Sylvain Distin, Linvoy Primus, Andy Awford

RB: Jimmy Scoular, Glenn Johnson

RW: Vince Hilare, Darren Anderton

CM: Robert Prosineki, Lassana Diarra, Pedro Mendes, Alan McLoughlin, Paul Merson

LW: Jack Froggatt, Duggie Reid

CF: Guy Whittingham, Paul Walsh, Peter Harris, Steve Claridge, Kanu

Squad:

CM: Robert Prosineki, Lassana Diarra, Pedro Mendes, Alan McLoughlin, Paul Merson

25 is so few to choose from, yet im stumped for a manager!!! Maybe I should forgive old redknapp after all but he did walk out on us twice and once to the scummers, so im open to suggestions!

I think your choice of Jack Tinn is a good one. After all, he is credited with building the side that won the title in 1949 and 1950, though of course the manager who delivered those titles, Bob Jackson, is also worth a shout.

Redknapp doesn't even come close to those achievements.

His decision-making, as per a general, certainly should be very good - I just don't think it should be 20.

This does depend on how you're doing this. If you want most players to be broadly comparable then lots of 20s are fine. But if you want scale, then the likes of Cruyff, Zidane etc. should be 20, with the likes of Kerr at about 16 - if that makes any sense. Thats a decision for you though obviously :)

I don't recall him being dirty at all. He was known as a sportsman and good all-round egg. He could look after himself though so keep the aggression stat as it is, maybe a little higher so that he's combative & competitive. But not a dirty player.

I am not looking to make most players comparable, I am looking for common sense more than anything else and I don't think there is a massive difference between the different grades, but there is a massive gap between say a Maradona and a Bobby Kerr! :lol: If a striker scores, 508 goals in only 521 games back in a time when the offside rule was harder and more defenders needed to be between you and the ball, then that was one hell of a player in my eyes, must have been more stars back in the day and I think one of the reasons, although I can't prove it is because of the massive amounts of money that players earn nowadays compared to back in the day! If you ask me was there much difference between Maradona and Messi, then of course the answer is no, but you can't compare players in different positions, because you can have a great midfielder like Maradona and a great striker like Ferenc Pusckas. I would consider them to be very comparable in terms of ability and potential but both in different areas because they played two completely different positions.

I will lower Kerrs dirtiness stat. :lol:

Squad:

Thanks! This is a great help, I will bring back Portsmouth Back.. I appreciate all your effort with this... If you have any further updates, let me know :thup:

25 is so few to choose from, yet im stumped for a manager!!! Maybe I should forgive old redknapp after all but he did walk out on us twice and once to the scummers, so im open to suggestions!

I don't want to bring harry as a player because I don't think he would be a very good one! Can you have a legends games without Harry?! I am not sure and where else would he fit in.. ?? If I am bringing back Portsmouth, then I would think he should be the manager.. :thup:

But I will research Jack Tinn and if he achieved outstanding results with Pompey, then I might just put Harry at West Ham! lol

I am not looking to make most players comparable, I am looking for common sense more than anything else and I don't think there is a massive difference between the different grades, but there is a massive gap between say a Maradona and a Bobby Kerr! :lol: If a striker scores, 508 goals in only 521 games back in a time when the offside rule was harder and more defenders needed to be between you and the ball, then that was one hell of a player in my eyes, must have been more stars back in the day and I think one of the reasons, although I can't prove it is because of the massive amounts of money that players earn nowadays compared to back in the day! If you ask me was there much difference between Maradona and Messi, then of course the answer is no, but you can't compare players in different positions, because you can have a great midfielder like Maradona and a great striker like Ferenc Pusckas. I would consider them to be very comparable in terms of ability and potential but both in different areas because they played two completely different positions.

I will lower Kerrs dirtiness stat. :lol:

Just on the scoring thing. It's true the offside rule was tougher, but a lot of other factors compensated in the other direction to make goalscoring easier e.g. lack of well-organised zonal defensive systems, relative lack of size of keepers to goalmouths (the people playing football are bigger now, the size of the goalmouth is still the same). Football used to be a higher scoring game than it is now.

Just on the scoring thing. It's true the offside rule was tougher, but a lot of other factors compensated in the other direction to make goalscoring easier e.g. lack of well-organised zonal defensive systems, relative lack of size of keepers to goalmouths (the people playing football are bigger now, the size of the goalmouth is still the same). Football used to be a higher scoring game than it is now.

I thought about that as well, and I think it's also because they used to play the 2-3-5 formation, I would imagine it was more emphasis on Attack! :thup:

The formations of teams meant it was a higher scoring game, and because of the toughness of the offside rule, teams were set up more to attack. I still don't think it was easier to score though. I think having more defenders between you and the ball made it roughly the same, I am sure the defending was easier too because they could tackle harder without being sent off for it! :lol:

Update: In line with my policy of ensuring the very top players are aged between 22 - 24 and coming into their prime, The following clubs have now been updated.

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Blackburn

Burnley

Chelsea

Everton

Archived