Ultimate Stars And Legends Game FM14 (1880's - 2014)

Yes, I understand.

I'd take Millar out, he's the least potent of the 3 I mentioned and you already have another forward from that era.

Gary Rowell is very much a striker - nothing else.

I'd give him attributes of - very good pace, acceleration, off the ball, anticipation, finishing.

Very high composure and penalty taking should = 20. I don't think he ever missed a penalty for us.

Preferred moves, if memory serves, breaks offside trap, possibly also moves into channels.

Also good workrate & teamwork, probably about 13-15.

Sadly, he was injury prone and if your database is going to be realistic you should include this. Injury is what certainly prevented him playing at international level - he had the ability of that I've no doubt.

As you like to be creative, he is often known as Lord Rowell in my home part of the world - though that said I'm sure Gary Rowell would be fine :)

Do you know what Gary Rowell's height and weight were?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the problem is you were being rude calling him stupid and totally uncalled for, I'm not particularly fond of the nicknames but it is Fenech's DB to do as he pleases and in his own vision.

umm, yeah. I never actually called him stupid. I offered the opinion that the idea was pretty stupid. There's a difference. It's a pretty big one. I'm not really interested in hijacking this thread for a discussion of semantics and I do apologise if I've offended you in any way (though I have to say that if seeing the word stupid tossed around offends you, I suspect the internet is not for you: there are places around here where people actually swear).

I'd apologise to Fenech too but he seems to have taken the comment in the spirit it was intended.

umm, yeah. I never actually called him stupid. I offered the opinion that the idea was pretty stupid. There's a difference. It's a pretty big one. I'm not really interested in hijacking this thread for a discussion of semantics and I do apologise if I've offended you in any way (though I have to say that if seeing the word stupid tossed around offends you, I suspect the internet is not for you: there are places around here where people actually swear).

I'd apologise to Fenech too but he seems to have taken the comment in the spirit it was intended.

You we're referring to the idea but it came across in the wrong way, it looked like you were calling me stupid which I am not, in actual fact you were calling the idea stupid which I understand and you were not the only person to say that you didn't agree with the idea.

With Hindsight, what seemed like a good idea at the time, was not really the best idea I have ever had! But again, this whole project has been provisional, there was never anything set in stone, and the same goes for the nicknames idea, it doesn't work and the nicknames will be removed in due course.

I probably got caught up in all the research I have been doing and the nicknames caught my imagination and I just thought, where appropriate to use it as a common name, but i am happy to say, we tried it, it didn't work, they get removed and no harm done. It's all trial and error at the end of the day!

Don't worry about it, because you couldn't have been calling me stupid, when you don't know me well enough to make that kind of a call! :lol:

All I would say is when you write something like 'very very stupid' on a public forum, just clarify what is stupid, because otherwise it could be perceived and come across in the wrong way.

But in terms of having ideas and opinions, I welcome them and please keep them coming, they are greatly appreciated and valued. :thup:

Here is Gary Rowell. I will update the team screenshot now.

GaryRowell_OverviewProfile_zps559579a3.png

On the whole a good job.

I would very much increase his dribbling attribute. With what's he's got at present, even with age progression from 17, he's not going to be able to do much. This should probably be about 10-12.

If you need to bring something down, maybe his pace? He's maybe a little too quick here.

I would also improve technique - just a couple of points will do.

I think the rest is spot-on.

A general question for you, Fenech.

How are you deciding what PA to give each player?

I am actually doing a lot of research and looking at all sorts of things like stats, records, international caps, reading reports on the players, lots of different articles, quotes from public and inside knowledge, online sources and generally a lot of common sense. comparisons to similar players etc etc.. I am looking for what they could do as a player, success achieved, background, teams they played in, I wouldn't say there is any one factor but a combination of many different areas before deciding. I am very much taking the players current age into account as well and how long i think they will have to develop to their full potential and am being quite mathematical about it all. I am using my own knowledge of football and players, especially the ones i remember to compare and decided upon. Hope that makes sense!

On the whole a good job.

I would very much increase his dribbling attribute. With what's he's got at present, even with age progression from 17, he's not going to be able to do much. This should probably be about 10-12.

If you need to bring something down, maybe his pace? He's maybe a little too quick here.

I would also improve technique - just a couple of points will do.

I think the rest is spot-on.

GaryRowell_OverviewProfile-4_zpsab107d0b.png

GaryRowell_OverviewProfile-4_zpsab107d0b.png

Almost perfect - I do seek perfection for Sunderland for obvious reasons ;) ... not perfect cos of MY bad.

I didn't notice the crossing stat before, sorry. I would put this to about 10. While he ain't no David Beckham see the vid link I posted - he provides a very decent cross for our 4th goal.

If you need to reduce attributes elsewhere, you could bring natural fitness down by 3-4 points if you needed to, and shaving maybe a point or two of both teamwork & workrate wouldn't do any harm.

I'll have a look at the other player attribute pics you posted tomorrow :)

Almost perfect - I do seek perfection for Sunderland for obvious reasons ;) ... not perfect cos of MY bad.

I didn't notice the crossing stat before, sorry. I would put this to about 10. While he ain't no David Beckham see the vid link I posted - he provides a very decent cross for our 4th goal.

If you need to reduce attributes elsewhere, you could bring natural fitness down by 3-4 points if you needed to, and shaving maybe a point or two of both teamwork & workrate wouldn't do any harm.

I am looking for perfection too! With all the teams. I'll update him now as suggested. :thup:

After all with Newcastle media prediction 4th, you will need as much perfection as possible. :lol:

Fair play to Sunderland coming in above them in 3rd place though.... That's the difference, when you consider that Sunderland have won 2 more league championships than Newcastle... It stands to reason that they would have a slightly better team over the course of 100 odd years...

GaryRowell_OverviewProfile-5_zpsde22759a.png

is there a Portsmouth side n the database I can easily give you the top 25 players with a nice mix of the championship winning sides of the 50's, the jim smith/alan ball era I grew up with and the cup winning side of the premier league era

If you compile the top 25 players, I'll do the rest. :thup: We can't have Southampton getting it all their own way either! I'm thinking Harry Redknapp as the manager but we will see! :lol:

Could you also give me an idea of the manager and chairman you want from the last 100 years as well please?

Update: In line with my policy of removing nicknames and ensuring the very top players are aged between 22 - 24 and coming into their prime, The following clubs have now been updated.

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Blackburn

William Henry "Billy" Walker (29 October 1897 – 28 November 1964) was a prominent English footballer of the 1920s and 1930s. He is considered by many to be the greatest footballer to ever play for Aston Villa Football Club and one of the greatest players to have played for England.

Billy had a very successful career at Villa. He was an all-round sportsman of tremendous ability. He captained Villa for six seasons (1926 - 32) and played 18 times for England, also captaining his country. Those caps represent a time when few internationals were played, and in to-day’s game would probably have become 100 caps or more. His number of caps for England was a club record until it was surpassed by David Platt in 1991. He masterminded the Villa attack and was renowned for his long sweeping passes to either wing. His 478 League games were then a club record (and is still the club’s record for games in the top-flight)

In his memoirs, he said, "The playing years with Aston Villa were the happiest of my whole life. About Villa Park itself hung an aura that seems almost to be visible. Most certainly it is there to be felt and I know of no other ground that has the same effect on one. Almost it seems to be peopled by ghosts - amiable ghosts whose job it is to breathe the great Villa spirit into generation after generation of ambitious youngsters who pass through the great gates to achieve a life's ambition; to wear the famous claret and blue of the great club."

BBC Sport named Billy Walker as the one man Aston Villa need the most, if they could bring back one player today to help them out.

We welcome back the truly inspirational England International! William Henry Walker

BillyWalker_OverviewProfile_zpsb230e9c4.png

Have a look at the Sunderland team again, as I have removed the nicknames now from that team.

RaichCarter_OverviewProfile_zpsc23f829e.png

A big part of Raich Carter's game was his ability to bring others into play so I would make big improvements to stats in these areas.

Similarly, while he could do the unexpected, he wasn't a Matthews, Finney, Maradona, Shack etc. so I would bring Flair down to about 14.

If I could make a general observation, I think sometimes there is a temptation to overcook Flair across the board when creating "legends" - but I would reserve the highest flair ratings for those players who really do change games on their own and do the things that no-one else can.

Going back to Raich Carter, from some keywords I noted when doing my own research a few years back.

"Ice cool, impeccable control, either foot, great vision, complete forward, one of England's finest."

So, you want very high composure, touch & technique, creativity.

Leadership, I would improve to 14-15. Influential player and he did go on to be a manager after playing.

Then, add the stuff from your article and I'd give a big lift to attributes such as decisions, teamwork.

Significant lift to heading, moderate lift to jumping, aggression and strength, he could put himself about.

Preferred move = shoots with power

Edit: I've just noticed his positions. I really would put top position as forward, 2nd position AMC and leave it at that. He wasn't a winger. He was an IF or Striker, but an IF back then isn't the same as an IF in current football.

I wonder if you've given him a high versatility rating and its done this automatically? If so, might be worth lowering it.

Also, if IIRC, you said in another post that you would put the very top players in the 22-24 age range? If so, then Raich Carter should be in this range.

KevinBall_OverviewProfile_zps797a253d.png

I did have him down as 'dive into tackles' :)

I'd bring a lot of these attributes down. Legend = yes :) , but not a great player in many respects, he's no Duncan Edwards.

Crossing and Dribbling should come down to single digits - probably put dribbling higher at about 8, otherwise he'll have trouble functioning in the ME.

Nudge both of first touch & technique down 1-2 points - technically he was more comfortable at Championship level, but his other attributes carried him through.

Composure & Decisions both down by a couple of points. Off the Ball down to about 9-10.

Marking and Positioning, keep them high but not this high because, again, I think those levels should be for the finest defenders, so probably bring each down by a couple of points.

I would increase Agility by a couple of points.

Two more preferred moves -

1. Marks opponent tightly

2. Shoots with power. That's what he did, sadly because of his lack of technique they went up over the Roker End and caused hazard to geostationary satellites! :D

You've got all the teamwork, workrate, mental stuff spot on :)

CharlieHurley_OverviewProfile_zps3fd32eec.png

I think you've got this one very close.

I would improve dribbling to about 12. He's no Maradona, but he could bring the ball out from the back and this would enable him to do so.

Also, boost creativity to about 14-15 as this means he will be able to "see" the available passes and hence construct the play.

Preferrred move - stays on feet - opposite to Kevin Ball. Hurley was a class act.

Positions - probably worth enabling him to play as a sweeper as well.

I'm curious why you've got Free Kicks at 15, which seems very high? Yet something in the back of my mind is telling me you're right... have you read this somewhere?

As before, if you're wanting the top players to be 22-24 yrs old then Hurley has the strongest case of all, having been voted Sunderland's greatest ever player.

So here is the 25 man Wolves squad:

Wolves 25 Man Squad

GK

Bert Williams

Matt Murray

Malcolm Finlayson

CB

Stan Cullis

Billy Wright (Also can play CF and Captain Material)

Frank Munro

Joleon Lescott

John Mcalle

RB

Bill Slater (also Inside FW)

Geoff Palmer

LB

Derek Parkin

Andy Thompson

MR

Norman Deeley

Johnny Hancocks

ML

Dave Wagstaffe

Jimmy Mullen

MC

Kenny Hibbitt

Peter Broadbent (also right sided inside FW)

Ron Flowers

Mike Bailey

Alex Rae

ST

Steve Bull

John Richards

Derek Dougan

Robbie Keane

A big part of Raich Carter's game was his ability to bring others into play so I would make big improvements to stats in these areas.

Similarly, while he could do the unexpected, he wasn't a Matthews, Finney, Maradona, Shack etc. so I would bring Flair down to about 14.

If I could make a general observation, I think sometimes there is a temptation to overcook Flair across the board when creating "legends" - but I would reserve the highest flair ratings for those players who really do change games on their own and do the things that no-one else can.

Going back to Raich Carter, from some keywords I noted when doing my own research a few years back.

"Ice cool, impeccable control, either foot, great vision, complete forward, one of England's finest."

So, you want very high composure, touch & technique, creativity.

Leadership, I would improve to 14-15. Influential player and he did go on to be a manager after playing.

Then, add the stuff from your article and I'd give a big lift to attributes such as decisions, teamwork.

Significant lift to heading, moderate lift to jumping, aggression and strength, he could put himself about.

Preferred move = shoots with power

Also, if IIRC, you said in another post that you would put the very top players in the 22-24 age range? If so, then Raich Carter should be in this range.

Firstly, So far I have only updated Blackburn, Arsenal and Villa to bring them completely in line with the policy of bringing top top players coming into their prime. This won't take long, But I have not done that for Sunderland yet, however I am doing it now.

In line with this policy, the following Sunderland players are about to be updated:

David Halliday: He is 24 years old and in my opinion was equally your best player alongside Raich Carter.

Raich Carter I am doing him now in line with your suggestions, he will be 23 years old.

Warneford Cresswell Top Top Player, he is also 24 years old and has already been put in his prime

Johnny Campbell Top Top Player, he will be about 22 years old.

Geroge Holley Top Top Player, he will be 22 years old.

Bobby Gurney Top Top Player, he will be 22 years old

John Doig Top Top Goalie, he is already in his prime at 24 years old ( I loved the story about how if his cap fell off, he would chase after cap rather than concentrate on the goal!

I did a lot of research on the team of all talents and went into a lot of depth so I know that they were all top top players.

Now: I had Charlie Hurley down as a top top player but (only just) out of the range where I would bring him into his prime. Are you confirming he should amongst the bracket above?

Stanley Anderson was captain of a young side in the second Division and it was his foresight that led to the sending of centre half Charlie Hurley up field for corners and free-kicks, a revolutionary move that helped turn Hurley into a hero amongst the Sunderland faithful. Wikipedia on Stanley Anderson.

I am currently doing Raich and will post him once he is completed.

So here is the 25 man Wolves squad:

Wolves 25 Man Squad

GK

Bert Williams

Matt Murray

Malcolm Finlayson

CB

Stan Cullis

Billy Wright (Also can play CF and Captain Material)

Frank Munro

Joleon Lescott

John Mcalle

RB

Bill Slater (also Inside FW)

Geoff Palmer

LB

Derek Parkin

Andy Thompson

MR

Norman Deeley

Johnny Hancocks

ML

Dave Wagstaffe

Jimmy Mullen

MC

Kenny Hibbitt

Peter Broadbent (also right sided inside FW)

Ron Flowers

Mike Bailey

Alex Rae

ST

Steve Bull

John Richards

Derek Dougan

Robbie Keane

Many Thanks for This, Wolves are high on my agenda and will be brought back. I really appreciate your help with the Wolves team and will mean I can release the game quicker, many thanks on this and you have any further updates on Wolves let me know.:thup:

CharlesBuchan_OverviewProfile_zps98d2a9e6.png

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/charlie-buchan-sunderlands-greatest-ever-player.751933/

^^^

Interesting post on a forum about Buchan.

Mostly this is good.

I would nudge up his first touch, to make sure the skillful player he was comes across in the game.

Agility and balance I would also improve - as a general rule, in the ME, these are very important for the best strikers.

As per the article I linked to, I would increase bravery based on his war record. If he was brave on the battlefield he's likely brave on the pitch.

You could bring teamwork down by a few points, also minor revision downwards to workrate - this was someone who scored goals for himself to some degree.

Professionalism and Sportsmanship should be very high.

Positionally again, he really should be, first and foremost, a striker IMO.

BillyBingham_OverviewProfile_zps5e4533c5.png

This is very good and feels like Bingham.

Just a couple of changes but they are big & important.

1. Off the Ball needs huge improvement otherwise he's going to be static - he was far from that. I think 15-16 is justifiable.

2. Leadership - you've got this very low. Did you know Bingham went on to manage Northern Ireland, taking them to the 1982 and 1986 World Cups? In 1982, they famously beat the host nation Spain and qualified for the R12 (yes it was a weird format that year) and only lost one game out of 5 played in the tournament. They were one game away from the semi finals.

3. Finishing - 122 goals in 479 games, playing as an outside right! He knew where the net was, so this needs significant improvement.

I would nudge agility up by a couple of points for general reasons I've said before. I would also massively improve his stamina , he was someone who kept going.

I'd bring a lot of these attributes down. Legend = yes :) , but not a great player in many respects, he's no Duncan Edwards.

Crossing and Dribbling should come down to single digits - probably put dribbling higher at about 8, otherwise he'll have trouble functioning in the ME.

Nudge both of first touch & technique down 1-2 points - technically he was more comfortable at Championship level, but his other attributes carried him through.

Composure & Decisions both down by a couple of points. Off the Ball down to about 9-10.

Marking and Positioning, keep them high but not this high because, again, I think those levels should be for the finest defenders, so probably bring each down by a couple of points.

I would increase Agility by a couple of points.

Two more preferred moves -

1. Marks opponent tightly

2. Shoots with power. That's what he did, sadly because of his lack of technique they went up over the Roker End and caused hazard to geostationary satellites! :D

You've got all the teamwork, workrate, mental stuff spot on :)

I don't have him down as a 'great player' lol

I do have him in his prime though at 26 so he wouldn't be getting any better than he already is, if you know what I mean....

I am working on him now based on your suggestions and will post him when he is done.

Many Thanks for This, Wolves are high on my agenda and will be brought back. I really appreciate your help with the Wolves team and will mean I can release the game quicker, many thanks on this and you have any further updates on Wolves let me know.:thup:

Cheers, It was very interesting researching past players and the history of Wolves who have had some great players. Broadbent is particularly interesting he was George Best's idol and Ferguson admired him alot. Finlayson described him as probably the best player to wear a Wolves shirt, saying the only thing he couldn't do was head the ball.

Then you have, Stan Cullis, Billy Wright who was described as a rock at the back, Bert Williams known as "the cat" for his lightning reflexes and considered world class in the 50's along with Steve bull and John Richards who both have an excellent goal return for Wolves, should make them a very competitive team to play.

I'll be happy to help out with the research of other teams, just let us know.

John Doig Top Top Goalie, he is already in his prime at 24 years old ( I loved the story about how if his cap fell off, he would chase after cap rather than concentrate on the goal!

Now: I had Charlie Hurley down as a top top player but (only just) out of the range where I would bring him into his prime. Are you confirming he should amongst the bracket above?

Doig is a great call and I agree with you. On his name, while his proper name was John, he was known as "Ned Doig" and this is a case where you absolutely should use "Ned Doig" as a nickname.

I can't reference this, as one of the sites I used when I did my own research doesn't have the historic player profiles it used to. But, from what I recall, he was known for doing strange things sometimes (think of Bruce Grobellar) so it might be worth giving him high eccentricity.

Again, there is no question whatsoever that Hurley should be in the highest bracket. Voted Sunderland's greatest ever player. Came 2nd in the Football Writers awards only behind Moore - and this while playing for a 2nd division club.

When you talk to people where I'm from who are old enough to remember him, to say he is revered is an understatement.

You also mentioned the great Bobby Gurney - this might help from my own notes.

"Enthusiasm, consistency & quality to all positions. Seems versatile. Primarily a striker with an impressive goalscoring record. Longevity in service, so high professionalism & fitness? Most deadly striker of all time. 10 hat tricks. Deadly finishing."

Cheers, It was very interesting researching past players and the history of Wolves who have had some great players. Broadbent is particularly interesting he was George Best's idol and Ferguson admired him alot. Finlayson described him as probably the best player to wear a Wolves shirt, saying the only thing he couldn't do was head the ball.

Then you have, Stan Cullis, Billy Wright who was described as a rock at the back, Bert Williams known as "the cat" for his lightning reflexes and considered world class in the 50's along with Steve bull and John Richards who both have an excellent goal return for Wolves, should make them a very competitive team to play.

I'll be happy to help out with the research of other teams, just let us know.

This is excellent research! You don't win 3 league titles for no reason! I am sure they will be very competitive too. It will be very interesting to see where the are placed in terms of media prediction. :lol:

If you do have more time, I am looking at the 25 best ever Rangers and Celtic players of all time. So you can work on those, if possible.:thup:

KevinBall_OverviewProfile_zps0349ef62.png

I must of removed that Nickname - I'll put it back in.. RE: Doig.

It's not a massive change to put Hurley in the top bracket, he was practically there, so that will be changed.

I will update Hurley next...

p.s: I still think halliday and raich were slightly better than hurley. :lol:

:p :p :p :p ;)

Keep the profiles coming. I can give you a bit of help with Stan Anderson, a good amount of help with Bobby Kerr and a lot of help with Kevin Phillips in particular.

Actually, from my notes if its a start.

Stan Anderson

"Accomplished right-half. Began attacks from deep. Crouched running style. Passing to make Beckham envious. Captained Sunderland. Scored some important goals. Lots of appearances.

Nippy but not necessarily quick."

Some of that is from a friend who watched him in the flesh. By "nippy not quick" I would implement as high acceleration, agility, balance, but pretty average pace (about 12).

Bobby Kerr

"Small. The 'little general' for his leadership, vision, tactical awareness, tenacity, bravery, all-round contribution. One of SAFC's greatest servants. Shrugged off injuries. Longevity in career. In the Cup Final, Kerr and Malone marked Eddie Gray out of the game."

Leadership should be very high. To get across his tactical awareness, attributes such as decisions and teamwork should be high. He would run around all day but was absolutely not a power player. Stamina should be high, agility & balance quite good but not execeptional, keep the other physical stats very average.

:p :p :p :p ;)

Keep the profiles coming. I can give you a bit of help with Stan Anderson, a good amount of help with Bobby Kerr and a lot of help with Kevin Phillips in particular.

Actually, from my notes if its a start.

Stan Anderson

"Accomplished right-half. Began attacks from deep. Crouched running style. Passing to make Beckham envious. Captained Sunderland. Scored some important goals. Lots of appearances.

Nippy but not necessarily quick."

Some of that is from a friend who watched him in the flesh. By "nippy not quick" I would implement as high acceleration, agility, balance, but pretty average pace (about 12).

Bobby Kerr

"Small. The 'little general' for his leadership, vision, tactical awareness, tenacity, bravery, all-round contribution. One of SAFC's greatest servants. Shrugged off injuries. Longevity in career. In the Cup Final, Kerr and Malone marked Eddie Gray out of the game."

Leadership should be very high. To get across his tactical awareness, attributes such as decisions and teamwork should be high. He would run around all day but was absolutely not a power player. Stamina should be high, agility & balance quite good but not execeptional, keep the other physical stats very average.

I will keep them coming, but only giving you some of them at a time--- so that I can keep up with you! :lol:

Have to say Fenech that you've done a great job with this. However, a few changes are required to be made to the Forest squad imo.

Shaun Wright-Phillips shouldn't be anywhere near the Forest squad. He was released at a young age as he was considered 'too small'. As I'm only 22, I haven't been around too long I can't give too many ideas to who a decent replacement could be.

Stan Bowles shouldn't be in there either. Especially a quick check on Wikipedia. Again, I'm limited to who I could give to replace them. I'd possibly suggest Jack Burkitt in place of Bowles.

Reasons being as we haven't been that successful over the past 15 or so years and most of those players wouldn't come close.

Have to say Fenech that you've done a great job with this. However, a few changes are required to be made to the Forest squad imo.

Shaun Wright-Phillips shouldn't be anywhere near the Forest squad. He was released at a young age as he was considered 'too small'. As I'm only 22, I haven't been around too long I can't give too many ideas to who a decent replacement could be.

Stan Bowles shouldn't be in there either. Especially a quick check on Wikipedia. Again, I'm limited to who I could give to replace them. I'd possibly suggest Jack Burkitt in place of Bowles.

Reasons being as we haven't been that successful over the past 15 or so years and most of those players wouldn't come close.

Hi Forest,

I agree at first hand. SWP won't be there when the squad is finalised. I also agree with Stan Bowles, he should be at Q.P.R and I will just put him there even though, they are not coming back! lol

If you do come across potential replacements, then please let me know...

As you can imagine, back to back European cups and they will have an excellent team! What a great management team as well.

Thanks

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/charlie-buchan-sunderlands-greatest-ever-player.751933/

^^^

Interesting post on a forum about Buchan.

Mostly this is good.

I would nudge up his first touch, to make sure the skillful player he was comes across in the game.

Agility and balance I would also improve - as a general rule, in the ME, these are very important for the best strikers.

As per the article I linked to, I would increase bravery based on his war record. If he was brave on the battlefield he's likely brave on the pitch.

You could bring teamwork down by a few points, also minor revision downwards to workrate - this was someone who scored goals for himself to some degree.

Professionalism and Sportsmanship should be very high.

Positionally again, he really should be, first and foremost, a striker IMO.

I am doing Charles Buchan Now.

This guy is an absolute legend in terms of football history. He goes on to co found the FWA and produces the first ever football magazine that apparently everyone used to read, he was a pioneer in the game. He also creates the famous: Footballer of the Year Award.

He was indeed, however a knee injury ruined that.

Jack Burkitt might be a decent shout as a replacement for Bowles. I'm not sure whether he'd be a direct replacement but he was our captain in the 1959 FA Cup Final. He also made a fair few appearances for us.

I wouldn't say that Dryden would be the right chairman for us either. I'd say it would either be Doughty or dare I say it, Fawaz Al-Hasawi.

He was indeed, however a knee injury ruined that.

Jack Burkitt might be a decent shout as a replacement for Bowles. I'm not sure whether he'd be a direct replacement but he was our captain in the 1959 FA Cup Final. He also made a fair few appearances for us.

I wouldn't say that Dryden would be the right chairman for us either. I'd say it would either be Doughty or dare I say it, Fawaz Al-Hasawi.

The only reason I plumped for Dryden was because that was your chairman when you won back to back European cups. He was also Brian Cloughs Chairman.

Who do you think is the greatest ever Nottingham Forest Chairman?

This is very good and feels like Bingham.

Just a couple of changes but they are big & important.

1. Off the Ball needs huge improvement otherwise he's going to be static - he was far from that. I think 15-16 is justifiable.

2. Leadership - you've got this very low. Did you know Bingham went on to manage Northern Ireland, taking them to the 1982 and 1986 World Cups? In 1982, they famously beat the host nation Spain and qualified for the R12 (yes it was a weird format that year) and only lost one game out of 5 played in the tournament. They were one game away from the semi finals.

3. Finishing - 122 goals in 479 games, playing as an outside right! He knew where the net was, so this needs significant improvement.

I would nudge agility up by a couple of points for general reasons I've said before. I would also massively improve his stamina , he was someone who kept going.

I did read about his heroics with Northern Ireland! I didn't make the link between being a great manager and being a great captain. I can see how he was obviously a leader though.

Wow, yes that's a lot of goals for a right winger! totally missed that..

BillyBingham_OverviewProfile_zps2b704274.png

Either Nigel Doughty or Fawaz Al-Hasawi. Both saved us from financial ruin and bankrolled us throughout time to keep us competitive.

If you could have one chairman back and you had to make a decision, which one of those two would you choose?

Archived