When to stop training new position?

I had a player (Tom Ince) who I wanted to play as ML but he was only competent there. Through training and playing him there I've managed to get him to natural. A few questions:

If I take him off new position training but keep playing him there will he drop to accomplished?

If I take him off new position training but he doesn't play for a while (e.g. injured or between seasons) will he drop to accomplished?

If I keep him on new position training but he doesn't play for a while will he drop to accomplished?

If I keep training and playing here will he get to a point where he is automatically taken off new position training and stays natural permanently?

I don't think they ever get natural permanently, and I have two players trained to play on their non-natural positions and not training anymore, the only drop I saw was when one of them was out with an injury for a month or so.

My experiences is that once a player is natural he will stay natural without further training if he plays in that position regularly. It depends a bit on the players as wel though. There's a hidden attribute versatility, a player with high versatility will become natural quicker, is likely to maintain that without further training, even if he isn't played in that position very often. A player with low versatility needs to both training and playing time in that position to maintain his familiarity.

Although versatility is a hidden attribute, there are a few indicators. Listed from quick and dirty to slow but accurate:

- Players who are already natural, accomplished or competent on a range of positions are usually more versatile than those with just one natural positions and not much else.

- Versatile players are more likely to get a decent rating if they're played in an unfamiliar position than players with low versatility. Some experimentation in friendly matches could give you an insight here.

- Versatile players will gain familiarity with new positions much quicker and loose it much slower. I've trained one of my central defenders to right back with sole purpose of gaining a good tutor for that position. I never played him in that position and he started with 0 familiarity, still he had already gained accomplished level when I did a checked his progression 3 months later. He's of positional training over a year now, isn't played here but still accomplished. I've had an other player who took better part of a season to raise a position from competent to accomplished.

I disagree, I have a player who lost his trained natural DL position quite quickly once I stopped training him for it. And he gained it quite quickly too so there's gotta be a high versatility rating there.

I stand by what I said.

Archived