To play short passing retain possesion tactic, what's the important attributes ?

I personally have no success with Short Passing + Retain Possession as the basis of any tactic. You simply keep the possession only, and do nothing with it. Your player will refrain from making 50/50 thru passes due to retain possession and indirectly get forced to play nil chance clears from back as the opposition closes you down. Get a few lucky breaks every now and then, but these are due to opposition errors and not really "created" opportunity.

As a recommendation, just use Short Passing and turn on Retain Possession when your players are being ran over in the match. First 5-10 min of game play will reveal this immediately, as your possession is constantly being flipped unforced. (This is just a guideline suggestion, how exactly you wanna do this...depends on your overall tactic setup)

Anyways, back to your question...

I recommend looking into the mentality attributes. Teamwork, off the ball, decision, composure...this help your player from being "shocked" on the field...

happened way too often for me when I ran those two shouts...player receive pass and stands there looking around dumb folded +_+"

Besides passing, the other obvious technical one is first touch, since your players will be receiving a lot of passes in tight spaces.

I agree with the above post that mental attributes are particularly important for a possession style. Creativity and anticipation to see passing options, decisions to pick the right option, composure to not panic if pressured, off the ball to keep moving and getting open, teamwork to pass instead of dribbling or shooting when it's not on.

Play with Real Madrid, now 10 first games without conceding, very impressive but possesion still cannot reach more than 65% even against weak opponent :(

Play 3cb-1dm-2cm-2winger-1am-1striker formation, Retain Possession, Work Ball Into Box, Exploit The Flanks, Play Wider, Hassle Opponents, Much Lower Tempo, Be More Disciplined

Just checked real life stats: 65% possession is only surpassed by Barcelona (68.8%). All other teams are (well) below.

Bayern: 63%

Lille: 59.4%

Man City: 59.4%

Liverpool: 59.3%

Juve: 58.8%

Arsenal: 58.7%

Man U: 58.4%

Lyon: 58.1%

AC Milan: 58.0%

Real M.: 57.9%

Just checked real life stats: 65% possession is only surpassed by Barcelona (68.8%). All other teams are (well) below.

Bayern: 63%

Lille: 59.4%

Man City: 59.4%

Liverpool: 59.3%

Juve: 58.8%

Arsenal: 58.7%

Man U: 58.4%

Lyon: 58.1%

AC Milan: 58.0%

Real M.: 57.9%

Only reason Barsa is so high is because the boring style of play with too many unnecessary passes.

Archived