Cheap laptop to play FM 2014?

Here's the thing, I had a SONY VAIO laptop (bought in 2010) and it ran FM 2013 but was realllllly slow.

Tbh I hardly ever use my laptop now, just use the internet on my phone so normally wouldn't want to buy one!

Can anyone recommend me a cheap laptop that will play FM for the next few years? I'm torn between getting a cheap one and going all out and buying a mac, then using it more regularly but will see which cheap options are about first.

Cheers guys.

Going cheap is never a good idea with laptops. You might get away with it in a desktop, but with a laptop, you go cheap, you'll get burned eventually. Finger in the air, you'd probably need to go to around £500 to really get a future proof one. I spent 600 about 6 months ago, although I went a bit further. If you shop around, you might get a good deal, but there's a lot of rubbish ones out there that will just rip you off in the long run. There's no point buying something cheap now, then having to replace it in a year or so.

I find that anything carrying the Sony brand has a ridiculously high price. You can get the equivalent spec for hundreds cheaper in some instances. Of course some will say that better components are used etc etc, but in this day and age and with the amount of good cheap quality about, I can't really see how that argument stacks up.

I think forameuss is right too. £500-£600 will get you a laptop which will be good for 4-5 years. By which time you'll probably want to update anyway because of all the stains on it.

Haha cheers guys, yeah I thought my Sony one was decent when I bought it in 2010 but it's slow as now :confused:

I'll have a look round. Just bad that 90% of the reason I want a new laptop is to be able to play FM. So basically FM 2014 will be costing me £500+ :D

Haha cheers guys, yeah I thought my Sony one was decent when I bought it in 2010 but it's slow as now :confused:

I'll have a look round. Just bad that 90% of the reason I want a new laptop is to be able to play FM. So basically FM 2014 will be costing me £500+ :D

But a more expensive one will be future proof, so barring any calamities, you'll be playing FM2015 and probably FM2016 on it too. Buy a cheaper one, and you might be looking at wanting a new laptop for 2015, and then 16...

I got one of these a couple weeks back........

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1416222.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

I am running FM14 on it and it's fine. I’ll be honest and say I don't know loads about laptops, but it's got an Intel Core i3 dual core processor (1.8GHz) and 8GB of RAM. I am not sure how ‘future-proof’ it will be, but at £350 I don’t think you can really go wrong. Obviously, the graphics card isn't the best so you won't be able to play COD on it, but it's working fine for FM14.

I got one of these a couple weeks back........

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1416222.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

I am running FM14 on it and it's fine. I’ll be honest and say I don't know loads about laptops, but it's got an Intel Core i3 dual core processor (1.8GHz) and 8GB of RAM. I am not sure how ‘future-proof’ it will be, but at £350 I don’t think you can really go wrong. Obviously, the graphics card isn't the best so you won't be able to play COD on it, but it's working fine for FM14.

Wow, that looks a good deal to my relatively untrained eye. I've been wanting a new laptop for FM14 as mine could barely cope with FM13 but couldn't justify spending £500. Can anyone verify if this is a good deal or not? The graphics thing isn't really an issue for me as I tend to stick with commentary...

I would never touch an HP Pavillion again personally. The last one I had had a confirmed production defect which affected cooling. They had a nice double whammy by bugging the hardware so that it couldn't switch itself off when it got dangerously hot. This caused the graphics card to melt onto the motherboard gradually.

I'm not saying this suffers from the same problem, but I would recommend scouring the web for reviews in case of any problems. Specs wise, I would also be wary of the processor. It's not particularly fast, or particularly future proof. You get what you pay for though I suppose, although given that full price it's £500, I'd say that's robbery.

I would never touch an HP Pavillion again personally. The last one I had had a confirmed production defect which affected cooling. They had a nice double whammy by bugging the hardware so that it couldn't switch itself off when it got dangerously hot. This caused the graphics card to melt onto the motherboard gradually.

I'm not saying this suffers from the same problem, but I would recommend scouring the web for reviews in case of any problems. Specs wise, I would also be wary of the processor. It's not particularly fast, or particularly future proof. You get what you pay for though I suppose, although given that full price it's £500, I'd say that's robbery.

Ah ok, cheers for that. I was wondering if it was a £500 laptop for £350 or a £350 laptop that had been ripping people off when priced at £500 - seems the latter sadly!

Ah ok, cheers for that. I was wondering if it was a £500 laptop for £350 or a £350 laptop that had been ripping people off when priced at £500 - seems the latter sadly!

A little of each I think. It's probably being sold as a Uni kind of laptop. For £350, it's pretty good for that. For £500, you could get much much better. But for FM, I don't think it's powerful enough, and I would encourage spending a bit more to try and future proof things a bit more.

An i3 processor will run FM well for a good couple of years into the future, but I agree that ideally you should find something with an i5 processor or equivalent for better performance with more leagues.

I only use my PC for FM and web browsing, but spent £700 on my new tower to run it for as long as possible. Works out cheaper to pay out once, rather than several times over the years.

I think it all depends on what you want/ can afford. If you have £500, I would recommend searching for a ‘gamers’ laptop on the web. You can pick up some really good deals.

Sadly, I didn’t have £500 to spend so it was about trying to get something that I could use for work. And as I say, its running FM14 fine

All you are paying for on the second one is the touchscreen. 4GB RAM is not great these days, most laptops/PC's ship with 6-8GB now.

Archived