Young newgens not interested in singing for my team

I'm in my third season as Celtic manager, and currently have 10 scouts employed. As I'm playing a long term game, I'm trying to sign some talented youngsters. However, I've noticed in FM14 that I am having a lot more difficulty enticing these young players to sign for me; in previous versions of the game, it was a lot easier.

I can understand that young players at bigger clubs would not want to make the move. However, some of the young players that I want to sign (they are aged 18 or over) are at clubs with smaller reputations. For example, I have tried to sign 6 or 7 young players from "small" South American clubs but they have no interest in discussing a contract with me. While the club they are at is a favoured club, this did not prevent them from moving in previous versions. No other clubs are interested in signing them. I've managed to get Celtic to the knock-out stages of the CL in the two previous seasons, so I don't think it is Celtic's rep that is the issue.

Anybody have any advice?

Well unless they have EU second nationality they would need a work permit which is unlikely to be granted for a lot of them.

Then you have the issue of moving halfway round the world when they won't be first team players to a country that has a lower rep than their own country. Add in their loyalty to their current clubs and their preference to stay in their home country/continent and you have a lot of work involved in getting them to move to Scotland.

Personally my advice would be target players with EU nationality and look closer to home. England, Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland & the nordic countries will provide players who are much more likely to sign.

I think you've sort of answered your own question in a roundabout way :)

It shouldn't be this easy for us to hoover up 18 year olds from around the globe, finances aside, youngsters were just too willing to jump ship and move continents in previous FM's. I assume you've discounted the theory that the Scottish Premier might not be an attraction for them?

It may be a bit too restrictive in FM14 and need bringing back a touch, but it's a step in the right direction.

I think you've sort of answered your own question in a roundabout way :)

It shouldn't be this easy for us to hoover up 18 year olds from around the globe, finances aside, youngsters were just too willing to jump ship and move continents in previous FM's. I assume you've discounted the theory that the Scottish Premier might not be an attraction for them?

It may be a bit too restrictive in FM14 and need bringing back a touch, but it's a step in the right direction.

This.

At a later age they would move I imagine, but if they are quite young (say, 17, 18, even 19 at a push) they should stay with their club.

This.

At a later age they would move I imagine, but if they are quite young (say, 17, 18, even 19 at a push) they should stay with their club.

Except they don't, really. To pick a club at random, Metalist Kharkiv has nine South Americans in their squad, with another five out on loan. To pick another, Mainz has one player each from Japan, Cameroon, South Korea, Colombia, Macedonia, Costa Rica and Bulgaria. Videoton from Hungary has two Spaniards, one American, four Brazilians, four Portuguese and four Africans. The supply of reasonably talented South American and African prospects is gigantic, agents have a vested interest in moving them around, wages in their home countries are terrible and there aren't enough spots to go around anyways. If they move to Europe and maybe catch someone's eye they and their families can be set for life. There's TREMENDOUS incentive to move.

Are you going by scout reports alone? Eg. Player X has no intention of joining your club"?

I'm at Rangers and I recently setup a Japanese feeder link, so I decided to scout for a Japanese player. Nearly all based in Japan had no intention of joining, yet one that I could approach ended up giving me his demands. I think there might be an issue with the scout reports.

However, they still might ask for €3-€10k pw from you to entice them to move. So most of the time it's not worthwhile unless its an exceptional talent.

As a test try and get an free accepted for a youngster and see if he negotiates. Make sure he isn't under 16 as he probably won't enter talks anyway.

Certainly a lot harder in this version. I cant even get players coming through my own youth system to sign for me!

Playing as Degefors in Sweden, I had an English lad come through, he was decent but not outstanding but he wouldnt sign the youth contract, so he was released at the end of the initial youth trial period. He subsequently retired at the age of 16 2 months later. I don't think he had the mentality to player professional football!

Hi guys, thanks for replying and for the advice.

I haven't played in Scotland, but it's possible that it's bugged like Germany is. Try scouting, say, the Ghanaian u20 team. If they're all not interested, I suspect it is

That's the problem I'm experiencing. For example, I've recently scouted the Ghanaian, Nigerian and South Korean youth teams. None of the players at all are interested in signing for me, even the ones who are not contracted to clubs.

I appreciate that players may not want to move to Scotland etc, but surely they would even listen to what I have to offer in terms of a contract? For example, there is a young Chilean newgen who is highly rated by my scouts and who plays for Santiago Wanderers. He is on £300pw but won't even talk to me regarding a contract.

Archived