FM14: Glasgow Rangers - The teddy bears are on the march!

fuzzrab

Quick update - We saw off Partizan 2-0 at home to qualify for the group stages, which looked very strong this year and we probably got the best draw, even though we are in the same group as Barca, SLB & Steaua. I should get the better of Steaua and at least finish 3rd but if we hold our own against Benfica we have a shot at second place.

So far in season 5 we have played 18 UCL and league games, including a 4-0 away win over Steaua and a 1-0 home win over SLB. We smashed Dumbarton 9-0 i the league cup and put 6 past Hamilton and Partick, to go along with 5 against Shamrock Rovers in the UCL and Hearts in the league.

In those 18 games so far we have only conceded 1 goal and failed to win once and that was a 1-1 Old Firm game at Celtic Park where the Bhoys equalised in 90(+2). :(

Bank balance is now at £53m with the UCL prize money added.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome work davehibb, especially to make a 4-2-3-1 that is solid at the back. How do you line up the player roles? I need to update my 4-2-3-1 due to constant injuries to my DMs. Never sure on the best roles for the front 4 - ST, AMC, AMR, AML, but mainly the ST and AMC. I think it's because I don't know what I want from them, whereas my 4-1-2-2-1 I know exactly what I want each role to do.

It lines up like this:

GK - GK(d)

DR - FB(s)

DL - FB(a)

DC - CD(d)

DC - CD(d)

MCR - DLP(d)

MCL - BBM(s)

AML - W(s)

AMC - AP(a)

AMR - IF(a)

ST - AF(a)

My 4-1-2-2-1 lines up like this

GK - GK(d)

DR - FB(a)

DL - FB(s)

DC - CD(d)

DC - CD(d)

DMC - DLP(d)

MCR - AP(s)

MCL - CM(a)

AML - IF(a)

AMR - IF(s)

ST - CF(s)

I'm amazed too at how stout my 4-2-3-1 is defensively too, especially in the European games. Come to think of it, the equalizer we conceded against Celtic was from a corner too, so no goals conceded from open play yet. Probably just jinxed myself saying that but we'll see.

EDIT: We added a couple of deadline day signings too to bolster our squad. Ross McCormack, who has a decent personality and PPM so will be used mainly as a tutor. Luis Alberto also joined on loan from Liverpool to back up all the AM positions. Oliver has finally stepped up in Maher's injury enforced absence the last few weeks. I was about to give up hope on him, even though he only gets game time sparingly but he's starting to deliver on his potential a little.

Those 4-2-3-1 roles are very similar to mine, but I use a CM(d) and a DLP(s). I also never use two FBs, normally have one set to wingback or complete wingback, but I can't say I notice a great deal of difference between a WB(s) and FB(s/a). Definitely notice a complete wingbacks role as he bombs forward and finds himself in the box more than I'd expect. I might try a few tweaks to my 4-2-3-1, and use a BBM to support the AMC. My guys, as you'd expect stay rather stationary, which I want but can leave the forward men isolated.

In regards to the 4-1-2-2-1, that's why I love using it due to players never being isolated. My midfield trio of:

DM - A(d)

CM - DLP(s)

CM - AP(a)

Together they offer a triangle that leaves passing options for everyone. The AP(a) links up well with the DLF(s) who feed the inside forwards. The A(d) enables my fullbacks to bomb down the wing.

Do you retrain players to fit both formations? Eg. An AMC retrain to play CM, DM to CM, vice versa, etc.

-------------------

On another note Neil Lennon finally left Celtic, spent 11 or so years on a rolling contract but headed to Napoli. So no more facing a 4-4-1-1, as he was replaced by an English manager who prefers 4-2-3-1. As a result a week later we faced them at home. Smashed them 4-0, they didn't have a single shot on target.

Got out of my group yet again but drew PSG for the knock out round. Lame. They have quite the squad and I'm going through a developing period. Every side who get to the knock out round look dangerous these days. Despite the poor squad building at Celtic, sides in Europe are much different. They have some amazing newgens. I think this will be the hardest FM for winning the UCL due to the restrictions I'm putting on myself. Least it will be a challenge as opposed to previous editions. On that note though, I'm delighted by the amount of Scottish players in my squad. Lee O'Donnell (images above) has been promoted as my first team striker and is developing well. Averaging just under a goal a game and holds up the ball well.

I have been debating changing my support duty fullback to wingback as that seems to be the way to go looking at various tactics in the Tactics & Training threads but I always get my fullbacks to learn get forward, hug line and run down side, so they probably play like 'wingbacks' anyway. Also, i did look over the blog posted earlier in the thread by the guy who did a Rangers save with the 'Money Ball' ethos and he mentioned a study where 1 goal conceded is equal to 2 scored. Which I guess makes sense and is probably why we're doing so well defensively this season...

Speaking of which, I didn't see this coming... Rangers 1 (Walsh 77) Barcelona 0. Woooooo! 54% possession and 15 shots to 12, 6 on target to 1. We hit the post too! 9 points out of 9 in the UCL. I doubt we'll get much from the away leg though. :p

Also... Yeah, I do have midfielders that can play multiple positions. Fletcher and MacLeod can both play MC and DMC and Maher and Oliver can both play MC and AMC. I've also got O'Hara and Souttar that can play DMC at a push and Luis Alberto and MacKay can also play AMC at a push too.

That's good to hear regarding player positions. It's best to have a solid formation in mind as you can then start building for the future. I always knew I'd play a variation of the 4-3-3, so for instance I never need many strikers. In addition those strikers need to be able to hold the ball up, and prefer a DLF over anything. They have to be able to pass, hence why Galbraith (N.Irish newgen above) is so handy to have. To top it all off, they will get far more game time if they can play more than one position. I love strikers who can play both LW/RW.

Doing so means I can get my youh intake retraining in the roles/positions that I need. I'm slightly hampered as my focus on academy players mean I'm often forced to stick with a player, whereas a foreign player would be better suited. I just wish other Scottish teams got more top players through.

Good work on the Barca result. I've found I can beat anyone at home, but away is a different story. Never been really smashed, eg. 5/6-0 though. I'm hoping I can beat PSG, I have before in the group stages so we'll see. Don't know what it is but we dominate the group games, yet never produce to get into the semi finals/final. Maybe something to do with second half of the season.

Only 3 FM days until the winter window opens and Souttar arrives for only €4.8m (contract was running out). Looking to ship out more players which will result in a ridiculously high number of Scots in my side, since Grimmer and McCabe arrived in the summer for a combined £2.5m. I've got to say, I should have bought McCabe earlier. Even at 32 he storms forward and scores goals. Great player in MC-AP(a) role.

Ideally I'd play with a DLF but Walsh doesn't seem to fit the role so I have him as an AF to stretch the defence and create a large hole between the midfield and back for so Maher can exploit the space. Like you I don't have many centre forwards. Just Walsh and Mamaev who also plays inside right. McCormack was brought in on a free to tutor and be emergency cover. I've even had to play McKay up there once or twice over the last couple of seasons.

We lost the away tie against Barca 1-0 and weren't embarrassed at all. We then beat Steaua to book our place in the second round and we'll give our squad men a game in the dead rubber against Benfica in matchday 6. Ross County were the first team to score against us from open play before the Barca game. :p We have a 10 point lead over Celtic after just 15 league games (won 14 Drawn 1) and Walsh has 28 goals in 29 games in all comps, though he's gone a few without scoring so I'll be having a word in his ear.

McCabe is a real work horse for me as a B2B midfielder and whilst he doesn't score loads (4 so far this season) he does chip in. Souttar is an absolute rock and paired with Polenta they are very solid indeed. I've blooded a few of our U19s too, though our promising left back is out for a couple of months so I hope it doesn't hamper his progress too much.

Due to improved finances the board have given me another £10m to spend but Hegarty and Pascazio have agreed contracts elsewhere for next season as they were unhappy about game time. I really wanted to try and keep Pascazio but he's moaned constantly about playing even though he's had 9 games this season. Signed Domej who was on a free and who was really good for my Ajax team last year. He's 21 and hasn't been developed much but Hegarty has been dumped in the reserves and I've got the hump with Pascazio.

Dundee Utd have a Scottish wonder kid MC/AMC who I've tracked for a couple of seasons now and I keep expressing an interest so I might make a move in January and loan him back until the end of the season if I can push something through.

Good luck against PSG! They are absolutely stacked on my save and it's only season 5.

An update on season 5 so far as we are about 3/4 of the way through.

Unbelievably our rotation players won 4-1 at Benfica which meant we actually won the group over Barca on goal difference. We're just about to play our second leg against Inter Milan for a place in the quarter finals of the UCL, having drawn 1-1 away in the first leg.

We've also retained the league cup with a comfortable win over Motherwell, so the 1st leg of the second treble in as many years is still on, with the league a formality (13pts clear with 7 games left) and Hearts coming up in the Scottish Cup semi finals.

I mentioned our defence earlier on but our attack is immense.

Tom Walsh - 49 goals in 50(1)

Barri McKay - 18 goals in 14(23)

David Mamaev - 16 in 22(17)

Adam Maher - 15 in 26(3)

Gerard Deulofeu - 14 in 37(1)

Ryan Gauld - 10 in 28(8)

Another 37 goals have been added by 10 players too.

I ended up signing Dundee Utd's Scottish wonder kid on transfer deadline day. That extra cash given to me by the board was burning a hole in my pocket but it will be money well spent. A bit of a luxury signing as he's a MC/AMC and we have plenty of options there as well as trying to bring on our own MC wonder kid but he's getting decent playing time. It just means that Darren Fletcher will get less games from now on but he is 33.

As a side note, Gordon Strachan has got Scotland qualified for the 2018 world cup via the playoffs. Jordan Rhodes is immense for the national team. Walsh can't get a look in. :(

EDIT: Smashed Inter 6-0 at home to progress into the UCL quarter finals where we've drawn Man Utd who are struggling in 5th place in the EPL. Hopefully this run will boost our coefficient if nothing else and get us an automatic qualifying place next year.

Wow, great result v Inter. You could go all the way with that goal scoring record. How's your tally in the league? Close to breaking Hearts 132 record?

What's Walsh's record in the league? That's pretty amazing for all comps.

You should post a screenie of that wonderkid! Always like to see Scottish newgens from other peoples saves.

Regarding your 4-2-3-1 what instructions do you use and mentality/philosophy? I tested mine again recently but quickly reverted back when my players made stupid passing attempts. My 4-1-2-2-1 is well disciplined, so looking to make a free flowing 4-2-3-1.

@ Ryknow - cheers mate.

I play a rigid/counter system. The only individual instructions are for the GK to pass shorter and distribute to defenders.

The shouts I use are - Pass into space, work ball into box, hit early crosses, run at defence, exploit the middle, push higer up & hassle opponents.

With 4 games to go we've scored 101 in the league so Hearts' record isn't under threat. Walsh has equalled Larssons record of 35 goals but he should surpass that. He's also leading the assist chart and avg rating chart too.

We beat Man Utd comfortably 2-0 at home and then clung on for dear life to a 1-0 away defeat to make it to the semis, where we face Real Madrid. PSG and Arsenal is the other semi. I feel that if we don't get battered away in Europr then we have a fair chance of overturning things at home. Having said that, beating Madrid is a huge ask. I'll see what I can do about some screenies later.

EDIT: We actually have 114 league goals. It's our goal difference that's 101. :p Still, a long shot to beat 132 I think.

Thanks for the suggestions re shouts, most are similar to mine. I made some tweaks but still not 100% keen on my 4-2-3-1. Might wait until next season.

Somehow scraped a 1-0 win over PSG away. They had around 65% possession, yet we caught them on the counter late on. Defended so well and reduced them to long shots. I normally play really well at home so I'm hoping we don't concede in the second leg.

Made some more sales in the winter window so now my transfer outs total €95m. Majority is over 12-24 months so we will benefit form it for a while. Basically I want our monthly transfer income to cover the wage bill, which it is as we are bring in €7m per month now thanks to previous season dealings. I've got to make sure I don't become complacent and not invest in saleable assets though, as I don't like selling academy players.

Great result over PSG! :)

I'm not sure those shouts are perfect but seems to work for me and the players I have. I put a lot of emphasis on learning PPMs. I like all my attacking players to have one-two's, wide men to cut insude and dribble, strikers to beat offside trap. One midfielder to get forward and another to play killer passes and fullbacks to get forward down the line.

I switched things up for our away leg in Madrid, reverting to our 4-1-2-2-1 in hopes of grinding out a result. Out went the attacking and also lightweight flair of Maher and Pardo and in came the steel of Fletcher and MacLeod to join McCabe in my midfield triangle.

We secured an epic 2-2 draw. Taking the lead twice but still happy to not be behind and have the benefit of a couple of away goals going into the home leg. Only problem now is, do I stick with the 4-1-2-2-1 to try and sneak the low scoring win/draw or go back to my 4-2-3-1 and get the goals that might take us through..?

A 2-0 win over ICT before the Real game saw us clinch the league for the third time in a row with three games left and also saw Walsh break Larssons scoring record. He now has 37 goals with 3 to play.

What a great record for Walsh! I'm still miles off breaking that record as I constantly rotate my three strikers. It's a record I want to break though, so I'm jealous. Congrats.

Nice work on the Real Madrid result and I'd go with the 4-2-3-1 at home. In my experiences being too cautious at home normally ends in disaster or just scraping through. I've dominated the powerhouses when playing at home.

Just looking over my past results and before the PSG game I was unbeaten in 4 games against them. So that makes it 3 wins and 2 draws. Now I have to win the home leg. So much pressure, better not curse it.

League is all in the bag as we are 20 or so points ahead and meet Celtic next with 8 games left in the season. Knocked Celtic out of the Scottish Cup, needed a replay as we were shocking in the first game at Parkhead. Once at Ibrox we dominated the game and won 2-0. They lost to Queens Park in the League Cup, so hopefully if it all goes to plan we will win another treble. Then I'll continue to clear out the squad to increase the Scottish players. From my last count around 50% of the squad is Scottish now and therefore 70ish% is British+Irish. This should increase slightly with this summers transfer dealings. Not sure if I can make an all academy side, but I'll keep it as a distant goal.

Walsh plays all the time for me. I rarely rest him. I usually rest the other 9 outfield players in between UCL games but Schmeichel and Walsh play every game.

Having said that I almost made a huge mistake for the second leg against Madrid. I'd rested everyone for the ICT game but left Polenta out of the squad and had Domej starting for me at centre half. Added to that, Souttar requested a transfer on the eve of the game too, as he wants to move to a bigger club.

We went with our 4-2-3-1 formation and made a great start to the game, with former Barca man Deulofeu giving us the lead. Benzema quickly equalised and I thought we were going to struggle. We managed to keep it tight until half time and well into the second half. Walsh then charged down a Casillas clearance from a long through ball and then rolled the ball into an empty net. Deulofeu then wrapped it up in the last 5 minutes to give us a 3-1 win on the night and 5-3 on aggregate.

We lose Andrew Robertson for 2-3 months with a torn hamstring though. We'll play Arsenal, who are currently 2nd second but could easily end up 6th it's that tight in the EPL, at the Stade de France in the final.

With the league wrapped up half of what could be a famous quadruple is in the bag.

Walsh finished with a record 40 goals in 38 games. He also had most assists (20) and highest average rating (7.85) both SPL records too.

Up next was the Scottish Cup Final against Celtic. I spoke to Souttar before the game and having already won the league I told him we could win the UCL this year (50-50 chance with us being in the final) and he agreed to stay, for now. In the game itself we started badly. Bendtner gave them the lead after a mix up in our defence but Maher equalised before half time.

The second half was very tight and just what we didn't want before the UCL, the game went into extra time and seemed to be headed to penalties too, when in the final minute of added time, Jon Flanagan burst down the right wing and delivered a deep cross to the far side of the penalty area where Gerard Deulofeu ran onto it and hit it first time and arrowed his shot into the far corner of the net to give us a last gasp victory and secure our second domestic treble in as many seasons.

What could top that?

Well, Souttar demanding another transfer on the eve of the UCL wasn't a great start to things. I've listed him at £30m and Man City are interested. I hoped he'd be my Richard Gough and be a pillar at the back for years to come but it seems like he's going to be a mercenary little **** and force a move away. :(

Unless, somehow we can win the final, convince him to stay and tie him down to a longterm deal...

That didn't look likely when Yarmolenko gave Arsenal the lead after just 2 minutes... But we managed to hit back 10 minutes later through Gauld and even take a 2-1 lead into half time after Deulofeu added another 7 minutes later. Yarmolenko equalised early into the second half and the rest of the game was a tight, cagey affair and finally went to penalties... LOTS of penalties. 28 in fact.

Perhaps predictably, Souttar missed his spot kick for us when he had the chance to win it in sudden death after Schmeichel had saved Caulker's attempt. So we kept going... And another 9 successful penalties later, Schmeichel saved from Ayew and Rhys McCabe showed Souttar how it is done to win the UCL for Glasgow Rangers... Wow!!! :)

5 seasons, 5 titles (3 in a row SPL), 4 cups, 3 league cups and 1 challenge cup... And 1 UEFA Champions League! :)

I forgot to check what my bank balance was but the board have given us £32m to spend and a wage budget of £775k p/w.

A few key contracts have been renewed and guys have got paid. Gauld, McKay, MacLeod, Mamaev, Flanagan and... Souttar amongst others. Hopefully he'll stop angling for a move after penning a 4 year £30k p/w deal with a 1 year option at the end of it.

I don't really have any transfer targets at the moment. I might scour around for some 17 year olds that show promise so that they'll be home grown by 21. And perhaps a backup keeper as Kardu wants away, though my Serbo-Scot regen keeper could possibly be our backup this year. Just wouldn't fancy him in Europe if called into action. Perhaps a young forward to wait in the wings behind Walsh.

Scotland's world cup performance was the usual (almost) sublime to the ridiculous display. Having gone 4-0 down to much fancied Uruguay, they stormed back to 3-4 and absolutely battered Suarez and co. but couldn't find an equalizer. They then drew 0-0 with a strong Ukraine team and needing a win to qualify, they went down 3-1 to... New Zealand.

Not sure what Strachan's position will be when the dust settles but becoming Scotland manager is certainly one of my goals.

Still can't get a feeder team for love nor money, hopefully the UCL win will help with that.

Congrats on your success! Where now? Looking towards European dominance? Must be roll in' in the dough.

---------------

Got past PSG after a poor showing from my team. Our forwards just didn't click but we won with a penalty to win 1-0, therefore 2-0 agg. Defended like champs yet again though. Got Barca in the quarter finals so that should be interesting.

Won the league at Celtic's ground after a 2-1 victory to make it 9 in a row. Smashed Aberdeen in the league cup and have Scottish Cup in line. League record is now 54 games unbeaten. Got a fairly decent intake with another CB and already arranged a structured €12m deal to bring an 18 year old Portuguese DM in. Wouldn't normally pay that money but he would already be first team material and I need to address that area as there isn't any top class Scottish DMs atm.

I have no idea... :p I really didn't expect that kind of success so soon. I really just hoped for the quarters this year and maybe push for the final in another couple of seasons.

Still in preseason 6. Not bought anyone but constantly fending off interest in Gauld, O'Hara, Souttar, Polenta, Oliver, Walsh and Maher. I don't really -NEED- anyone and I'm struggling to find any youngsters that I like. Sent some of our youngsters out on loan to get some football and plodding along through preseason.

I feel a little bogged down and to be honest, the Roma and Southampton threads have me tempted too. I keep plugging away. The Scotland job is still something I want, as is bringing through Scottish youngsters through. I'll keep plugging away though. ;)

If in doubt go the HG route. Sell off any foreigners over the next few seasons and push youngsters into your side. I'm enjoying my save much more as I wanted a long term save and to develop players. By putting a handicap on myself it makes it harder to get success.

Having said that, we beat Barcelona 3-2agg in the quarter finals to get Arsenal in the semis. Other semi is Chelsea and Man City. Going to be difficult to get past gem, luckily the first way is an away leg.

No matter what you do winning the league is going to be easy. I'm considering starting up a Bundesliga save but I know I'll have to spend 5-6 seasons before I start enjoying it, as I prefer newgens. I might as well stick with this save.

Congrats on the Barca result and good luck against Arsenal mate.

I'm going to keep playing but I'll probably start up another save alongside this, as it's the first save on FM14 where I've got past a couple of seasons. Southampton is tempting though and I do like Serie A too.

Finally did it! Not sure whether my players sensed your success Davehibb, but we somehow won the UEFA Champions League.

I'll do a season summary later when I have time but what a run. Decided to play a few games tonight, which turned into finishing the season.

Arsenal was surprising. They controlled possession but we came away 1-0 victors. Not bad bagging an away goal, then came the game at Ibrox and it was our turn to control the game. Had so many chances, around 7 CCC but it finished 3-1, iirc. In the end we went through comfortably. Either 3-1 or 4-1 agg, can't remember now as the final took everything out of me.

In the other semi Chelsea went through 6-2 on agg v Man City, and having a look at their squad I thought it would be curtains. Of our previous meetings 3x in the 1st Knockout Round (so 6 games) we had won 2 drawn 1. Some hope.

With the league still going we finished with a record 106pts, unbeaten season. The invincibles only conceded 14 goals, and tbh only 1-3 were against my first team. My backup/rotation side which plays before a UCL game conceded the most of those 14. My best 11 was incredible this season, defensively mainly. Didn't have a striker or midfielder consistently score goals, yet scored over 100 in the league.

With our final SPL game out the way we had to play a Scottish Cup final on Wednesday then the UCL final on Saturday. Nice planning guys! The rotation side played the final and beat Dundee 2-1 to claim the treble.

Anyways, onto the UCL final. With my key first team rested and no injuries I was able to field my best side. Things went pear shaped after 10 mins though when Chelsea's world class Argentinian striker smashed the ball past Williamson. I thought I was in for a spanking so made some tweaks and started playing on the counter. After some amazing chances we just couldn't get past Courtois until he made a point blank save on the line, only for O'Donnell to pick up on the rebound. From then on we had the better chances but it ended 1-1. On to penalties and a near heart attack later it we won 10-9.

Instantly got Untouchable status and the club and my two main CMs (Russell and Bahnsen) got Worldwide rep status. Finally.

Now, after all the money we took in this season I might have a shot at getting a new stadium. Also after achieving Worldwide rep for the club I will sell off more foreigners to promote Scots/Brits.

Awesome!!! :)

9 in a row and UCL champs too!

Call that a heart attack? I had to sit through nearly 30 spot kicks to finally win it. :p

Great season. I think I got to 40+ SPL games unbeaten, overlapping from one season to the next but never invincible. Well done mate! :)

Just completed my first season with Rangers. It's currently the beginning of June 2014 and the transfer window has just opened. I've managed to sign 8 players so far who are all 4.5 or 5 stars for potential ability, the oldest player being Tom Eaves from Bolton who is 22 who I managed to sign for £45k.

I made a huge decision at the start of the game and sold Black, Little, Cribari and Foster all for the grand total of zero. It was huge to get them off the wage bill though. I then sold Jig and Peralta in January for zero money too. Shiels left too which was a bonus.

Youth got their chance and scooshed the league at a canter setting a new points and goals scored record. The domestic cups were disappointing. I changed tactics after Celtic hammered me 5-0 in the 5th round of the Scottish Cup.

I've decided to keep the wages low and sell any players who request astronomical wages which will probably mean the likes of Wallace and MacLeod will go soon. I'm wanting to sign Gauld and Souttar from Dundee United but their wages could see that idea kicked out.

Like everyone else, young Tom Walsh was a star. Goals and assists galore although his stats haven't improved much. Law has also been fantastic since the change of formation and won POTY. Barrie McKay is back from Morton and will be pushing Law for starts.

I don't envisage many problems in The Scottish Championship but I'll be aiming to do a lot better in the cups.

My game's a far cry from what you guys are doing but hopefully I'll get there. It's been the best game so far of FM14 and one which has kept me interested and entertained.

Starting XI for last season was:

Bell

McAusland

Wallace

Faure

Gasparatto

MacLeod

Hutton/Crawford

Aird

Law

Templeton

Walsh

I'll need to thoroughly evaluate the new signings before integrating them into the team.

Staff wise, I sacked Durrant, McDowall and Jim Sinclair and brought in better coaches which can only benefit the team.

Looking forward to reading more posts from the players who are 5 and 6 seasons in.

Cheers guys.

Nice work Buddy, but I have a few concerns.

Firstly, you weren't able to get any bids for those players? Especially Black who I got a few hundred thousand for, and Little who attracted interest. I am aware I started on a different patch but I would have expected to get something for those players. If I remember correctly a few of those demanded us to continue paying some of their wages for them to leave. Hence why I needed to recoup some money to cover those wages.

Secondly, don't put too much of an emphasis on player wages. I know I have, but I capped players at €40k pw once in the SPL and UCL group stage. After 12 or so seasons I'm happy to say I've maintained that philosophy, ofcourse it just means more players reach that cap, therefore increasing the overal wage bill. However it's supportable due to our increased income. Anyways, getting more to the point you will struggle to keep wages down purely due to Rangers' reputation. Being a high rep club means any player will naturally ask for more than at a lower rep club. You can't avoid it so don't miss the chances and let Wallace and McLeod go. They will be important for you for many seasons until you push onto the next level.

For starters Wallace is a great player capable of playing further up the pitch. I'd focus on Bell and Templeton from my experience. Those are both on large wages compared to their ability. Templeton wasn't great for me in this version so was offloaded fairly quick.

Either way we all play the game differently but try not to be so strict on player wages. Sometimes it's harder getting a replacement in, plus you'll need HG players for European competition in a few seasons. Something newly signed youth won't have by then.

@buddy - I have to agree with Ryknow with regards to Wallace and MacLeod. They should be starters for you all the way back into the SPL and with MacLeod being a youth product, why would you want him to leave, especially with home grown quotas to fill for European football? :)

I have something of a self regulated wages cap too at the moment (preseason of season 6) no player is on more than £39k per week and I have the likes of Gauld, Souttar, Polenta, Maher, Pardo and Deulofeu. My ceiling is going to be £50k p/w max but I've got everyone comfortably under £40k so far.

Congrats on your success so far and hopefully continued success in the Championship. try not to hamstring yourself too much though. But like Ryknow says, we all play the game our own way, so as long as you're having fun, who cares! :)

Nice work Buddy, but I have a few concerns.

Firstly, you weren't able to get any bids for those players? Especially Black who I got a few hundred thousand for, and Little who attracted interest. I am aware I started on a different patch but I would have expected to get something for those players. If I remember correctly a few of those demanded us to continue paying some of their wages for them to leave. Hence why I needed to recoup some money to cover those wages.

Secondly, don't put too much of an emphasis on player wages. I know I have, but I capped players at €40k pw once in the SPL and UCL group stage. After 12 or so seasons I'm happy to say I've maintained that philosophy, ofcourse it just means more players reach that cap, therefore increasing the overal wage bill. However it's supportable due to our increased income. Anyways, getting more to the point you will struggle to keep wages down purely due to Rangers' reputation. Being a high rep club means any player will naturally ask for more than at a lower rep club. You can't avoid it so don't miss the chances and let Wallace and McLeod go. They will be important for you for many seasons until you push onto the next level.

For starters Wallace is a great player capable of playing further up the pitch. I'd focus on Bell and Templeton from my experience. Those are both on large wages compared to their ability. Templeton wasn't great for me in this version so was offloaded fairly quick.

Either way we all play the game differently but try not to be so strict on player wages. Sometimes it's harder getting a replacement in, plus you'll need HG players for European competition in a few seasons. Something newly signed youth won't have by then.

Black was only attracting loan bids but clubs kept rejecting my offer of a future fee. I don't rate the guy IRL or like him so punting him for nothing was an easy decision. As for Little, there wasn't any interest at all in him. None. He's another player I don't rate IRL either so I eventually showed him the door.

I'll keep your advice re wages in mind. St Etienne have just offered £2.5m for Gasporatto. He's a great player but I can see him getting annoyed if I reject this. My scouts continually mention Danny Wilson who's available at Hearts so he could be Gasporatto's replacement.

If I sign Gauld I'll be listing Templeton.

I need to buy an experienced player to help the younger players in the team/squad. I reckon the average age of my starting XI is about 9. Haven't a clue who to sign or what position. Possibly a goalkeeper.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys.

Darren Fletcher could be a good leader, both davehibb and I signed him. He should normally ask for lower wages once released and then approached on trial.

£2.5m for Gasparrato is good but if you tie him down to a new deal you should get a far better sum once in the SPL, considering he plays for you all the time. Could always bring Wilson in aswell, as Hearts are poor in early game due to points deduction and financial problems, iirc.

I went into my first 3-4 seasons with no real team building, which I regret now. I signed talented Scottish newgens, but I mainly only brought in bosmans. Some served me well, others only for a season, but it gave me a feeling that it was all just mercenaries. If I was to do it again I'd get the right balance and sign Gauld, Souttar and O'Hara from the start. Luckily now I've gone the opposite way and heavily favoured Scottish newgens/academy players, which I find far more enjoyable.

O'Hara left Kilmarnock early doors for the English Premier League and I didn't think Souttar or Gauld would be interested in signing for a League 1/Championship club.

Faure was excellent for me last season. Dropping him wouldn't be fair especially when the coaches are commenting on how well he's playing and progressing. I may still sign Wilson and rotate the pair of them. Gasporatto is under contract until 2018 so plenty of time to get back to the big time and persuade him to stay. He's only on £1.1k a week so offering him a new contract might change his happiness.

I'll have a quick search for Fletcher and see what happens. There's no need for me to be splashing out big time on wages when I'm competing in The Scottish Championship.

Hopefully cram a couple of hours of FM in this morning before work.

Agreed. I was able to keep my wages down for a quite a few seasons and rarely paid for a player. Even now, in my long term save I wouldn't contemplate having over €1m pw wage bill. It would be manageable but I doubt there be much of a profit come the end of the season.

Last season I made a €50m profit, after a €22m dividend payout and a large tax bill. However, I sold over €100m worth of players and have done the same this season. Majority was over 12-24 months to spread the wealth and not get hit too hard with tax. Now that we have money the board have taken a different approach regarding a new stadium. Previously they said it would be a good idea but we don't have he money, now they say we don't have the demand, yet we average around 95% capacity. Maybe one day I'll get a new one named after me, but no real rush.

Just sold Gasporatto to Inter for £5m. His morale was abysmal after I rejected offers from Marseille, Lyon and St Etienne. I upped his asking price to £5m and when 5 different teams bid that for him I decided to let him go. I signed Danny Wilson as his replacement for £800k.

Souttar has signed for Man City.

Can't seem to find a decent GK. Any suggestions?

Schmeichel from Leicester City has been awesome for me. I think Ryknow had him early in his save too.

I was lucky enough to be able to sign Souttar, Gauld and O'Hara as soon as we earned promotion to the SPL. Fletcher is a great tutor with his Model Professional personality and he's still a good player at SPL level. I managed to get Scott Allan on a free and he was really good in the Championship and 1st season back in the SPL for me in midfield and another midfielder I would recommend would be McCabe from Sheff Weds. I think I signed him the first season we got into the SPL or maybe even in our Championship season. I know Ryknow likes him too.

Nice one davehibb, thanks for the recommendations.

I signed (no laughing please) Pope from Charlton who's a 22 year old 4 star current ability and 5 star potential ability GK for £1.9m. 6 games played with him as GK and none conceded.

Can't decide whether to play Aird or McKay on the right wing as an IF. Both are fantastic.

Early signs in the Scottish Championship are promising although I'm not scoring as many goals as I feel I should be.

Another thing I just realised is that Templeton is on £10.5k a week. I don't think he's worth that to be honest so I'll evaluate his performances until the January window and take action if needed.

Apart from that, it's all good.

Well, having flirted with preseason on a Southampton save and having been overwhelmed at the squad size in a Boca Juniors save I fired up my Gers save and kicked off season 6 with a comfortable 6-1 win over Hamilton. Walsh picked up where he left off last season with a hat trick, Maher, an own goal by their keeper and a strike by Kinnie, with wonderkid we signed from Dundee Utd last season were the scorers.

I've resisted the urge to splash the cash so far. The squad looks like it might be stretched if we have another good UCL campaign but it means I'll have to give more playing time to the youngsters coming through, so the league may well be a little tighter this year and the treble, treble might be a challenge too.

I've made a little headway into season 6.

Won 6 out of 6 league games so far, averaging about 5 goals a game. My front 3 of Gauld, Walsh and Deulofeu are on fire. And to prove that the Champions League success last season wasn't a total fluke we beat Spurs 1-0 to win the European Super Cup.

We went straight into the UCL groups (Inter Milan, Monaco and Olympiacos.) so I haven't had to rotate my squad much yet, so we'll see how that goes and whether we'll need reinforcements on the winter window.

Team for season 6.

GK - Schmeichel, MacDonald (newgen)*, Kardu

DR - Flanagan, Hateley, O'Hara

DL - Robertson, Maxwell (newgen), Wallace

DC- Souttar, O'Hara, Domej, Bento (newgen)

DC - Polenta, O'Hara, Domej, Bento (newgen)

MC - Pardo, MacLeod, Fletcher, Oliver, Newgen (wonderkid from Dundee Utd - forgot his name), Clark (newgen)

MC - McCabe, MacLeod, Fletcher, Oliver, Newgen (wonderkid from Dundee Utd - forgot his name), Clark (newgen)

AML - Gauld, Mamaev (newgen), McKay

AMR - Deulofeu, Mamaev (newgen), McKay

AMC - Maher, Oliver, Newgen (wonderkid from Dundee Utd - forgot his name)

ST - Walsh, Mamaev (newgen), Hardie

*Serbian believe it or not. Like our owners. I guess one of them must have had ties in Glasgow previously :D.

So, usually we only have 5 Scottish starters (Flanagan has been capped by Ireland) and only Walsh in the starting lineup who was with us in League 1. Though a few more are still in the squad like Wallace, McKay, MacLeod and Hardie.

Nice work on the Super Cup win. Unfortunately I'll need to win the UCL again to win a Super Cup trophy. We met PSV who I expected to beat. Started strong and things went astray from there. Our keeper made some fine saves and it was a pretty even game. They scored to make it level then as I was preparing for extra time a cleared corner was met by a 90+4" thunder strike outside the box. Not sure why we didn't turn up, but either way I was kinda annoyed even though it's a nothing comp, it's still a trophy. Not a great deal difference in prize money, but still...

In the league we strollin' along, big and dominant win. Had over 30 shots v Motherwell to their 1. Few 3-0s and 5-0s in a season I've promoted more of the academy players.

All that aside, got politely reminded I had requested a feeder last time I played. Got to pick from a Croatian side, Villareal and Ajax! Yes, Ajax! So not only can I poach their players I also have a team that plays in a league with limited restrictions on loans. Looking forward to externally turning them back into a UCL team.

Are My New Signings Any Good?

Im in the 2nd season at Glasgow Rangers and have just got the following players in...

Alexey Eremenko Bosman signing from Kilmarnock

Bongani Khumalo Bosman Signing From Tottenham

Federico Macheda Bosman Signing From Man Utd

Curtis Nelson Bosman Signing From Plymouth

Cammy Smith 400k From Aberdeen

Do you think these players are any good? Have you had any of them in any of your saves? I reckon i have done a nice bit of business here.

Thanks for reading everyone.

only 6 games back in the top flight won them all including an old firm and one against champions dundee utd, won back top back promotions, with back to back ramsden cups, got put out the league cup in the semis my first 2 seasons by c*ltic, my team looks like

Gk - Bell - Fulton

Fb - Hutchinson - McAusland

Cb - Soutar - Regen

Cb - Luca G - Pascazio

Fb - Wallace - Hendrie

Dm - Jamie Hamil - Perelta

B2B - Macleod - McCabe

Ap - McGinn - Jordan Hamil

If - Law - Mckay

If - Temps - Aird

F9 - Walsh - Regen

I tend to keep my money to buy bigger young players and focus on youth development, my wage bill is still unbelievably low, then again so is my wage budget 7.9million, im letting some players contracts run down like peralta, good performances but the guy gives me a squeaky bum, dont even want him near my team when im in europe

* Both regens have come through my youth system, so no money spent exluding wages

Welcome to the thread, looks good. I think Soutar and Walsh are real players though, unless they just happen to have the same name and position. ICT won the league in my save, nice to see someone else win (apart from when Rangers are in the top flight!)

they are the real ones the regens are brian dowie ( F9 ) and dougie gormley ( Cb ) both came through the youth ranks, forever rejecting bids for them from the championship and lower end premier league, united ave really sunk this season, im surprised they have managed to keep gauld and mackay-steven, im gonna take gauld and robertson from them once i get some cash, got players like daly and deano who dont play in the top league for me, after they leave i will have around 18000k spare for wages

im always doing it lol, yeah hopefully il get some more for january, i wont be signing anyone tho, just waiting until the summer, i think teams tend to ask for more in january, i sold on faure to let the young regen get some game time the team gets rotated every game apart from fulton, just give him the cup games and put out a full stregnth team against c*ltic

update -

lost the league on the last day, c*ltic lost 2 of there last 3 games, i needed them to draw at the least to win tho that never happened. won the league cup ( eventually ) was beaten by c*ltic in the scottish cup final, gutted i never won the league but then again 1st season back in the topflight so cant really complain, signed a young mexican striker for 8million, 2.5 up front then the rest in add ons and what not, not won a single game in pre season until my last one against man utd at home, morale is high so hoping for a good start, got euro cup playoffs to look forward to also :)

Had to start a new save after laptop had the blue screen of death. But I'm using El Ricardo's Scottish Alternative setup 16-16-16 and u20 leagues.

Going well so far 10 wins from 10, only thing I have found with this setup Lee Wallace and Lewis McLeod both want to play at a higher level. Told them both I aim to win the league

this season so next season be back in the premiership but they both said they still want to leave :(

Is the league any better with 16 ? still 38 games ?

Halfway through the season and did something totally out of character, started planning for the champions league in january, was put out the euro cup playoffs by swansea 0-0 at ibrox and 1-0 away, bought a solid 18 year old defensive midfielder from belgium, bought a 16 year old one from sweden, he has some work to be done tho i have both training schedules set up, missed out on gauld in the summer he picked wigan, got mackay-steven on a free and he has been gash, injured a lot, 12 points clear at the top of the league, hopefully a good second half of the season ahead,

Hi guys, I was looking for a save which I could enjoy with my cousin who is 9 and wanted to have a go at Football Manager, and decided that Rangers would be a fun choice. We're both really enjoying it so far, frustratingly we were knocked out of all three cups fairly early, but are comfortably top of the league as you'd expect. We are yet to make any signings, but can anyone recommend any second season buys? We're particularly looking for a new right back. Thanks.

there are some good right backs to be found in this, i went for a free transfer for sam hutchinson from chelsea, i wish i had gone for stephen o'donnel from partick tho, he joined bournemouth in my save and they are in the prmier league doing not too bad, have been trying to get him for a few seasons but he just wants too much, if you get him before he goes to england make sure its a long term contract

there are some good right backs to be found in this, i went for a free transfer for sam hutchinson from chelsea, i wish i had gone for stephen o'donnel from partick tho, he joined bournemouth in my save and they are in the prmier league doing not too bad, have been trying to get him for a few seasons but he just wants too much, if you get him before he goes to england make sure its a long term contract

Thanks mate, had a look at them both but in the end he picked Luke O'Neill from Burnley in the end. 2* current ability, 4.5* potential.

We won the league with 4 draws and 1 loss, which was more than we wanted but at least we won the title comfortably.

My cousin is loving it so far, and is also insisting that we play the youngsters with high potential ratings (particularly Tom Walsh, who is his favourite player) over the likes of McCulloch and Daly. Bring on the Championship!

Good stuff mate, love it, i thibk it would be boring if everyone signed the same players, i let daly stick about until my first season in the top flight had finished tho tom walsh was my first choice striker, quality isnt the word, hes wortg 3.1 million in my save, eventually won the top flight, got off to a terrible start, got bayern lyon and paok in thr champions league, i have lost aloy of goals games and players through injury this season so i dont think il win the league sadly meqning i will nred to sell some lads

An update from my second season, we were less convincing in the league but still managed to win it. The Challenge Cup was a breeze and we won that, as well as the League Cup in which we knocked out Celtic in the 3rd Round. Sadly the quadruple didn't happen, and we ended a fantastic season on a very sour note as we were thrashed 5-0 by Celtic in the final. Tom Walsh refused a new contract as well as my talented regen target man, and we are now lining up with Adam Le Fondre and David McGoldrick up top, not as strong a partnership as Walsh and Bob Reid however they are thankfully scoring plenty of goals. 32 year old Hugo Viana has been fantastic since joining on a free, we are 2nd in the league with 6 wins and 2 draws, only behind Celtic on goals scored.

Archived