The Scandinavian Shankly: From paupers to kings.

withnail316

A little update...

Typically, as soon as I wrote that I was bringing the thread to an end, I found some time to play FM. I'm still at the club as I saved before hitting the resign button (I've regretted quitting clubs and careers far too many times not to!) so I'm still there. The league has now shot up the rankings to the 13th best competition in Europe, giving us THREE Champions League spots - two of which are automatic entry. And best of all, Rosenborg had a tycoon take over.

Ladies and gents, I have my FM mojo back... Now I just need to find some more time to play!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aam looks a cracking prospect, deep-lying playmaker in the making?

Yeah he does look handy, although his determination is a little lower than I would have liked. I'm planning on loaning him to my Belarusian feeder club next year so he gets some competitive football under his belt, and see where he goes from there.

BodoGlimtlogo.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season summary

League (Tippeligaen)

Media prediction: 1st (of 16)

Final_table_25.png

Cups

Norwegian Cup

Knocked out in the quarter finals

Champions League

2024/25 - winners

2025 - qualified for last 16 as group winners

Champions_League_Group_2025_26.png

UEFA Super Cup: Winners

Club World Cup: Winners (Beat Estudiantes 4-3 on penalties)

Transfers

Transfers_2025.png

Top scorers

Dag Even Sandsund: 40 appearances: 34 goals (23 in the league)

Tord Eliassen: 38 appearances (31 starts): 21 goals (16 in the league)

Kryzstof Lagiewka: 25 appearances (13 starts): 14 goals (10 in the league)

Klaus Eira: 24 appearances (9 starts): 12 goals (5 in the league)

Positives

A good season all in all, although it was disappointing to lose in the cup - albeit that was our first cup defeat for five years! The squad is looking good, with plenty of talent in all areas, although I do have a bit of work to do in the transfer market to bring a few more youngsters into first team contention. As you can see from the transfer screen, we've made a hell of a lot of money by selling players on this year, and I'm considering letting Kryzstof Lagiewka go this winter as he's dropped down the pecking order, and I've a young Russian who can take his foreigner spot instead. Big decision though. That being said, I don't expect there will be any inward transfer deals this window unless it's a player for the youth team.

Concerns

None at all. Plenty of money in the bank, a squad that's only going to improve, and a transfer budget of £40m. Nothing to get concerned about here!

Ambitions

To find a way to integrate more of our youngsters into the first team squad without the team's quality dropping. I'm also keeping my eye on the Norwegian national team job too after another failure in major tournament qualification. Ideally, I'd aim to do both jobs at the same time.

Surprise of the season

A third Champions League in four seasons was great, although a bigger surprise was our defeat in the cup quarter finals.

Player of the season

TBC

Attendances

Lowest attendance - 26,565 v Haugesund

Highest attendance - 30,370 v Man City (a sell out)

Average attendance - 29,579 (29,489 in the league)

Finances

£53,821,220

Your 'surprise comebacks' aren't even a surprise anymore :D

Heh, yeah it's difficult to stay away. I don't think I've ever transformed a club as much as this one, so it's always enjoyable to pick up again...

• 3 weeks later...

Considering I'm still playing this career, I really need to get an update in. One coming on Monday, I think.

Part of me is considering retiring my current manager and taking over at a third tier club, too. Trying to overhaul my club would be a fun challenge, but I'd like to be the biggest club in the world before that happens.

BodoGlimtlogo.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season summary

League (Tippeligaen)

Media prediction: 1st (of 16)

Final_table_26.png

Cups

Norwegian Cup: Winners

Champions League 2025/26: CL_Final_26.png"]winners[/url]

2027 - qualified for last 16 as group winners

UEFA Super Cup: SuperCup_26.png"]Winners[/url]

Club World Cup: World_Club_Final_26.png"]Winners[/url]

Transfers

Transfers_26.png

Top scorers

Dag Even Sandsund: 36 appearances (33 starts): 34 goals (20 in the league)

Kristoffer Lindseth: 34 appearances (28 starts): 30 goals (18 in the league)

Tord Eliassen: 38 appearances (25 starts): 29 goals (9 in the league)

Klaus Eira: 37 appearances (17 starts): 13 goals (7 in the league)

Aleksander Ottersen: 35 appearances (33 starts): 13 goals (8 in the league)

Positives

So this was quite arguably our greatest ever season. We went undefeated* for the whole season (something which I believe is a first for me on FM) and won every trophy there was to offer. Conceding just 8 goals in the league says a lot about the strength in depth we have, especially as I like to make wholesale changes ahead of Champions League games. Our average age is still just 22, and about 90% of the players I'm signing are 18 and under so that average is unlikely to change. Other good news was the stadium expansion finished this year. The stadium is now expanded to it's maximum, which is 40,494, while our facilities have been at the top level for some time now. The board even agreed to extend our youth network, so I'm hoping we may see more than one half decent player every other year through the ranks in future. Very little then for me to spend any money on regarding infrastructure, so I might even offer a few wage rises this winter (for what it's worth, our top earner is only on £28,000p/w. It's no wonder I have a few players interested in moving to bigger clubs!)

Concerns

Other than the fortunes of the national side, not many. I'm considering moving a couple of older heads on this winter, although I have changed my mind on club captain Hakon Koppervik. I was going to sell him to allow one of my many young central defenders in to the first team, but his form was so good this season I can't let him leave just yet. He isn't even 30 until next May! I'd love to be able to add more Norwegians to my squad, but other than two or three decent youngsters in our youth system, I can't see that happening any time soon. Another difficulty I'll have is finding enough match time for all the players in our squad, which might mean I have to move a few on that I'd rather keep, but no major problem.

Ambitions

We aren't far off the truly great clubs now. Norwegian football is on the climb at club level, with both ourselves and Rosenborg flying the flag in the Champions League, and I'm hoping the league pushes on from it's current 11th placed ranking. I am still pondering the possibility of retiring Andersen and starting with a different manager at a lower league club, but I am yet to decide if I will do that for certain. Now I have loaded all the top leagues to the game, I'm expecting Europe to become more difficult over time, anyway.

Surprise of the season

The re-emergence of Kristoffer Lindseth. He scored 26 goals in 2023 yet only managed 12 in the following two years combined. He really took the chances which came his way, and so has probably saved his career at the club.

Player of the season

Dag Even Sandsund

Attendances

Lowest attendance - 26,367 v Byrne

Highest attendance - 40,494 (sell-out) v Vålerenga

Average attendance - 33,285 (32,986 in the league)

Finances

£61,592,152

I have decided I'm going to try and go back to monthly updates to revive this thread, too. It will take a bit longer than before as I'm not getting a lot of time to play, but it's worth it.

* we did lose one leg of a Champions League tie to Real Madrid, but we came through on aggregate so I'm having it as undefeated!

The arrival of two more youngsters for next season has just been confirmed for £4m apiece. Both are likely to go into the U19s squad for a season, but I expect both to be forcing their way in to the first team soon enough:

Juan_Alonso.png

With Paulo Sergio on his way this winter, Alonso will compete with Danish international Jasmin Kodro to be the understudy for Deiviti Anderson.

Nino_Charpentier.png

We already have a plethora of central midfielders, but I can't resist a bargain. With Arild Hauckland constantly linked to other clubs, he may be a perfect replacement for him in midfield.

Wow! That was a huge huge season! I cannot believe you have won everything on the table with a Norwegian club barely 12 years into the game, absolutely stunning!

Great to see you still improving the squad massively. Speaking of the youngsters, how do you prevent them from losing their heads when losing? My young team always starts sulking when losing :/

Wow! That was a huge huge season! I cannot believe you have won everything on the table with a Norwegian club barely 12 years into the game, absolutely stunning!

Great to see you still improving the squad massively. Speaking of the youngsters, how do you prevent them from losing their heads when losing? My young team always starts sulking when losing :/

Cheers man. A few more years in though as I'm playing 13 still, not 14. My next year will be my 15th season.

As for the youngsters, I'd suggest not being too harsh with them. Tell them you believe in them, use your older players as tutors and never get too aggressive after a defeat. I do have lots of young players, but the core of my side are in their mid twenties, which helps IMO. I can't say for certain though, as we haven't lost too many in recent years! ;o)

BodoGlimtlogo.jpg

FK Bodø/Glimt - Season preview 2027

Media expectation: 1st (of 16)

Board expectation: win the title

Transfer budget: (remaining) £54m

Wage budget: £437,000p/w (£200,000p/w under budget)

Preparing for yet another season in the frozen north then, as we look to add to the mountain of silverware in our trophy cabinet. I'm in for an interesting year I think, with two or three youngsters likely to force their way into the first team picture, and with one or two familiar faces departing from the club.

Financially we're in really good shape, with £50m in the bank and a couple of hundred grand in wage budget going spare, but I'm unlikely to spend any more of that before the transfer window closes at the end of March. I'm trying to ensure all the players I sign can qualify as home-grown in future, which means buying players who are 18 and younger, which of course means transfer fees are relatively reasonable. My strongest area is now centre midfield, I've got eight options for the two spots, with another couple out on loan, and I don't think we have a weak spot as such. My coaches think we're a little weak up front, but goals have never been a problem, so I'm largely ignoring them!

This means we've only signed two players this summer, both of whom's details are a couple of posts up the screen. The exit door has been somewhat busier, however:

Transfers_Winter_27.png

Notable players out (transfers)

There's a few decent fees in there again, with a couple of players also having sell-on clauses in the contract, so we may yet make even more money from them. In total we've now made £178m from transfers over the course of this career, and have spent £94m over 14 years. I'm not sure if that also includes sell-on clauses as it seems a little low, but that's a big reason why we've been able to progress. The most notable player to leave this winter is arguably Christos Nioplias. He's been a very handy left back for us, but with two other excellent young options in that role, I simply couldn't refuse Liverpool's offer. Roberto Wolff had been complaining about not being first choice, so I was quite happy to get £4.6m for him as well. The fans weren't happy to see Sondre Tronstad go, who we signed in my first season back in 2013. Still, he had slipped down the pecking order and it made sense to let him go for a decent price, too.

Notable loans out

Youth academy graduate central defender Molan_27.png"]Jason Molan[/url] is out to feeder club Malmo for a second season in a row. He's a potential star for the future, but I know he'll play every game in Sweden, as he did last year. Considering they have top training facilities and will be involved in Europe, I think that will benefit him a lot more than making 8-10 appearances for us. Joining him in Sweden are midfielder Aam_27.png"]Vermund Aam[/url], goalkeeper Buvik_27.png"]Frank Buvik[/url] and winger Paulo Sergio. Aam and Buvik, who also came from our youth academy, are unlikely to be as good as Molan should become but both could be very useful for us in 18 months or so. As for Paulo Sergio, I had agreed deals to sell him but they fell through. He's in the last year of his contract, so he's now unlikely to play for us again. One of my best signings, I just wish he was a bit younger. Midfielder Maxim Moerman was also scheduled to be loaned out, but as Marius Helfjord Jacobsen broke his leg, he was immediately recalled.

Also out on loan until the summer is Kryzstof Lagiewka, but I'm desperate to get rid of him permanently. I'd hoped he'd be the new Dario Torres, hence why we signed him twice, but he's horribly inconsistent.

Right then, friendlies have been played. On we go with the last 16 of the Champions League...

Gah. Really annoying error on my part.

I sent one of my young midfielders out on loan to Real Sociedad towards the end of last season, and at the start of this season he went on loan to Leverkusen for a few weeks. After Jacobsen broke his leg, I recalled the youngster - only to find him ineligible from every competition after playing for two clubs in the same season. As our season is a summer campaign, the thought of this happening didn't even enter my head, but it means he's basically useless to anybody right now.

Highly frustrating.

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UEFA Champions League- Last 16

1st Leg: Juventus 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

Juve are enduring a tough season in Italy, and actually offered me the job two weeks before this tie. Their squad is pretty weak right now, and we were largely in control throughout the match. Dag Even Sandsund bagged his 73rd goal in European football with a thumping header just after half time to put us in a great position for the second leg.

2nd Leg: Bodø/Glimt 0-0 Juventus

An extremely average performance in the home leg sees us scrape through, but only just. Juve created many more chances, but thankfully we held firm thanks to solid performances from Djedovic, Koppervik and Plazonic.

I sent 2 very talented youngsters on loan to Genk, but then I realised I have the same bug as many people where there are no competition games in the Jupiler Pro League after a couple of seasons. So they are now playing only International games, Cup games and European games. And I can't call them back :(

Close games with Juventus!

Too close flirting with Juve! Get your form together, man! dw about the loans we all make such mistakes..,

Heh, yeah possibly. I'm normally more of a Trapani man on FM too!

It was tough, but those last 16 games always are as we're not match fit since the league hasn't started. Still, not as tight as last year's semi where it took a 93rd minute goal at Real Madrid to take us through on away goals!

I guess the loan is most annoying for me as it is over two of our seasons, so I hoped it wouldn't be an issue. Lesson very much learned.

I sent 2 very talented youngsters on loan to Genk, but then I realised I have the same bug as many people where there are no competition games in the Jupiler Pro League after a couple of seasons. So they are now playing only International games, Cup games and European games. And I can't call them back :(

Close games with Juventus!

I've got a half decent striker on loan in Russia with the same issue, only this is my fault as I forgot I hadn't loaded the league and just accepted the best offer for the club. Schoolboy error!

Pesky transfer deadline day.

Just when you think you're more than happy with your squad, you see a player you've been tracking for ages become available... and despite the fact I'm really strong in his position and he'll cost £9.25m, you bid for him anyway....

Lukatic.png

March

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Byrne

A perfect start to the new season, although we had to be patient. All three goals came in the second half, with a brace from Eliassen and Lindseth's rocket deciding the destination of the points.

TL: Aalesund 1-3 Bodø/Glimt

Another good win, which came just days after knocking Juve out of the Champions League. I'd made 10 changes from that side, and strikers Eira and Lindseth both found the net. The other scorer was Jean Carlos, just three days before the defender was sold to Brann for £3.3m.

Sandefjord 0-4 Bodø/Glimt

As convincing as it gets. Sandsund bagged a hat-trick, while Nicolas Follet scored the goal of the game with a winding run and rocket strike from 20 yards.

You seem to be very serios with your scouting, if you've been tracking 18 year old player for ages. :)

Yeah, scouting young players has been the secret to growing the club. Players of 18 and under become "home-grown" and so won't count towards the foreign player count after a couple of years (we can only have 7 who haven't trained in Norway between 18-21). Considering the only decent young Norwegian players are coming from my academy, we'd be going downhill rapidly without adapting this policy.

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Quarter Final

1st Leg: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Manchester City

Pretty much the perfect first leg display. We've only lost one European game on home soil since we moved to the new stadium, and we were far too good for City. Dag Even Sandsund had us in front after just five minutes, bundling home from Anderson's corner, and from there we took control. Ottersen beat three men and picked out a perfect far post cross for Anderson to volley home on the hour, and Hauckland sealed it late on from close range.

2nd Leg: Manchester City 3-1 Bodø/Glimt

My nerves are shredded to pieces, but we did enough on the day. City were on top from the whistle, forcing Djedovic to make one save after another, and after 20 minutes we were behind. Will Hughes ghosted in behind our back four to nod home from close range, and 10 minutes later it was two. We failed to clear a corner decisively, and the second cross was smashed home. We did respond straight away, with Anderson, Franca and Hauckland combining to set Sandsund clear, who made no mistake from 18 yards. City grabbed another in the second half, but we defended manfully and progress 4-3 on aggregate.

April

TL: Molde 1-1 Bodø/Glimt

I rested all my key players for this to ensure they were fit for Europe, and I'm relatively pleased with our performance. Klaus Eira scored a thumping header in the first half, and although we did enough to win it, a point will do.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 4-0 Haugesund

Again, this was mostly our second-string, but they were excellent from the first whistle. Franca scored a thumping volley to open the scoring, and then Lindseth grabbed a couple of tap ins. Klaus Eira's rocket sealed it late on.

TL: Viking 0-2 Bodø/Glimt

Lindseth was the star here, smashing home from close range to put us in front, and then creating a first ever goal for winger Jasmin Kodro.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Strømsgodset

Very routine victory, but I'll take it. Eliassen and Dag Even Sandsund with the goals.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 3-0 Kvik Halden

Another second-string side put out ahead of a European tie, but we were in total control. Kleiva, Eira and an OG secured the points.

April_27.png

Decent start considering you are putting reserve sides out. Good luck in the semi.

I think that just demonstrates our relative strength in depth. I wouldn't like to put that side out in Europe, but I would expect it to beat everybody bar Rosenborg at home.

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League- Semi Final

1st Leg: Bodø/Glimt 2-0 Chelsea

I thought the only chance we had of going through was if we kept a clean sheet, so I didn't want to be too gung-ho in the first leg. We did start the brighter side though, and with les than five minutes on the clock we were in front. Right-back John Wold won the ball inside the Chelsea half and fed Aleksander Ottersen, who found a perfect near post cross. Sandsund met it sweetly from close range and we were in front. I got us to sit back a little and crowd out Chelsea's midfield, and from one of our rare ventures forward we grabbed a second. Luka Plazonic powered home a header from Anderson's corner to give us a very handy lead to take to London. The only down point was an injury to winger Anderson, which ruled him out of the second leg.

2nd Leg: Chelsea 1-0 Bodø/Glimt

Chelsea played us off the park, but a man of the match display from 'keeper Darko Djedovic kept the score to one, and saw us into our fifth Champions League Final.

We'll play Real Madrid in the final in Lisbon...

May

Norwegian Cup 1st round: Junkeren Bodø 0-8 Bodø/Glimt

Nice to play a local club in the cup, a club who play their matches at our training ground. We were far too strong for the amateurs, with young striker Stefan Van Der Linden bagging five. Lindseth helped himself to a brace, while there was a debut goal for Argentine winger Juan Alonso.

TL: Sarpsborg 0-1 Bodø/Glimt

Not a good performance, but Sandsund's goal on half time ensured we took the points.

Norwegian Cup 2nd Round: Mo 0-2 Bodø/Glimt

Not the strongest of displays at 3rd tier Mo, but we got the job done. Kleiva's free kick put us in front, before Lindseth thumped home on the break with 10 minutes to play.

TL: Bodø/Glimt 5-0 Brann

Brann are looking forward to a crack at the Champions League in the summer, but they'll need to improve drastically on this performance. Koppervik, Hauckland, Plazonic, Eira and Lindseth with the goals as we tore them apart.

TL: Start 0-2 Bodø/Glimt

My former feeder team were promoted again last season, and they had no answer to us here. Eliassen ended his relative goal drought inside 7 minutes, before Sandsund marked his return from injury with his 10th of the season.

Norwegian Cup 3rd Round: Bodø/Glimt 4-1 Hønefoss

This game was to be played three days before the Champions League final, so it was a second string again, but we were always in charge. Lindseth put us in front after 6 minutes, and Eira made it two soon after. Winger Jasmin Kodro grabbed a scorcher from long range in the second half, before substitute Dag Even Sandsund smashed home from close range. We conceded late on, but it mattered for nought.

May_27.png

logochampionsleaguek.jpg

UEFA Champions League Final

Saturday 29th May 2027

FK Bodø/Glimt v Real Madrid

Estádio da Luz, Lisbon, Portugal

Da_Luz.jpg

Bodø/Glimt run to the final

Run_to_CL_final_27_1.png

Run_to_CL_final_27.png

Real Madrid run to the final

Real_Madrid_run_to_final_27.png

What a final. Real Madrid are looking for their 11th Champions League title, their first since 2014, and appearing in their first final for a decade. We're looking to win it for a fifth time, and a third time in a row. This will be our seventh meeting with Real, after meeting them in three semi finals, all of which we came through on aggregate. They had endured a tough season by their own standards, finishing 4th in La Liga. Interestingly, I expect to see a familiar face in their line up too, with 2022 Champions League winning midfielder Neofytos Tarasidis now plying his trade in Madrid.

We were largely at full fitness thanks to being able to rotate for the cup tie 3 days before, although John Wold didn't recover from injury in time to start at right back. Simen Kleiva took his place in a 4-4-2, although I must admit I was tempted to play three in midfield. No matter, on we go...

First half:

Real started brightly, and Djedovic was forced to make a sprawling save from a rasping drive. The challenges were flying in, and Tarasidis picked up a yellow for trip on Ottersen as we broke, and it wasn't to be his only card. Eight minutes before half time and the deadlock was broken, Deviti Anderson's corner was floated in and met by Koppervik's head, and although it was heading wide, Dag Even Sandsund reacted quickly and nodded home. Pandemonium. Things got worse for Real two minutes later, as Tarasidis picked up his second yellow for a needless foul, and that's how things stayed until half time.

Second half:

I told the players not to get complacent, and sent out the same side who had started the game. We were largely in control of the game without really threatening, but Real started to throw players forward and the 10 men grabbed a deserved leveller 20 minutes from time - from our corner. They broke quickly, and despite the fact we had FOUR chances to clear our lines, their Colombian winger punished us. We responded quickly though, and just four minutes later we were back in front. Deiviti Anderson won a free kick 25 yards out, dusted himself down and took it himself. He unleashed a rocket into the top corner, and this time we hung on to our lead.

Dag Even Sandsund has now scored in three Champions League finals... no wonder he's a club legend!

5CLIAR.png

Brilliant work :thup: Looks like Rosenborg may keep you on your toes this season though :D
Amazing! Brilliant achievement to win 5 CLs with a club form Norway! Speaking of Norway, Rosenborg is giving you a run for money this season!

Cheers both. I may have a couple of days off it now though as I'm getting itchy feet, but I don't want to race into a decision I may regret.

After reading back through the thread and reminding myself where the club was when I took over, I've decided to stick around. I'm being linked with big jobs in Germany and Italy though, which is always nice.

Interesting. Before the Champions League final, my most valuable player was worth £4.9m. Two key players have just signed contract extensions... and take a look at what's happened to their values:

Djedovic_new_value.png

Ottersen_new_value.png

Perhaps we really are becoming a "big" club now...

Archived