4-2-3-1 Dortmund - posession, winning, highly aesthetic [patch 13.1.3]

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started an Ajax save to try this, Takes a while for the tactic to become fluid and i had some batterings early season (Bayern 5-0 away, and another at man city away, tough group!). Unbeaten in 20 in the league but only 3 pts clear.

Got a title decider at PSV in a few games so will see how it works out away at a decent side

Struggling with this tactic..

As Villa in my 3rd season with a top 6/7 team, it's so unreliable.

I beat Chelsea 2-1 and pick up an away draw with Man United, but then draw to 2-2 to Wolves at home, lose 3-2 to Norwich at home, get tonked. by Southamption 5-2 away but oh I beat Inter Milan 6-3 at home..

Makes no sense. Can't find any consistent tactics this year.

How did that match against PSV go?

For weaker teams the wingbacks seem to be too attacking, which leads to the high results you are reporting. For a v2 I'd try to balance this out a bit, to have more reliable wingbacks without loosing too much attacking intent.

But I'm not working on it at the moment and I am not sure yet if I should take the time to

How did that match against PSV go?

For weaker teams the wingbacks seem to be too attacking, which leads to the high results you are reporting. For a v2 I'd try to balance this out a bit, to have more reliable wingbacks without loosing too much attacking intent.

But I'm not working on it at the moment and I am not sure yet if I should take the time to

won 0 - 5 at PSV, then 1-4 at Feyenoord in the next game.

Struggling in europe again this season. 0-2 up at AC Milan, and drew 2-2. Just lost to Stuttgart at home..

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you're doing fine in the domestic league. A draw against AC Milan seems completely acceptable to me with most any team (Ajax are not really worldbeaters anymore).

But it sounds as the tactic is sometimes a bit too attacking for weaker teams. Maybe you could try and switch the wingback/fullback's mentality to "automatic" for international games

Couple of notes for this tactic - you want your wingback to have decent shooting, as he gets into the box on a mazy run a lot of times a game. Either that, or train him to look to pass instead of attempting to score. For the fullback, some shooting would help as well, but good crossing is a must, since this fullback often advances to the end line on a run, and looks to square it along the box

first game with this- 4-3 against Bayern after a.e. I've never seen my team make 37 total shots at all. Defensively a bit weak, vulnerable to pacy runners.

With the right backs, late in the game, i put one of my wingers- he made the cross that landed towards the striker's head and into the feet of the playmaker, and scored the winner. The point of this, it doesn't really matter who you put in right back.

Just got to say mate well done! It's a great tactic, far superior to anything I've managed to conjure up myself and some fantastic football being played! Seems susceptible to direct football but I guess that's the trade off to playing high up the pitch and I hate having to have two defensive cm's but still congrats

I like the look of this.

I've been very successful with another tactic I downloaded, however whilst providing attacking football and some great goals it is primarily a direct tactic that uses a 4-2-3-1 deep. It works wonders against the stronger teams (beat Man City 4-0 away and 3-0 at home, beat Man United 5-2 away) but I want something else to use against the weaker teams, one I can use to consistently outplay them and put them to the sword. Ideally one that works away from home without any major tweaks - the current home tactic I use is flaky defensively and doesn't work at all away from home.

Anyway, to core of my post, it's to do with the player roles:

1) Do you think this tactic will still prove successful with Wingers instead of Inside Forwards (both my wingers, teenager newgens, have blistering pace and 18 dribbling, 14/15 crossing, only 8/10 Finishing and 13/14 Composure. They score their share of goals but I think they are far better utilised on the wing than cutting inside).

Alternatively, sticking with IF's, could it work with the wingers sticking to their strongest side (strongest foot)?

2) The Ball Winning Midfielder - would it work if I change his role to Support, or alternatively change him to a DLP (defend)? Or is he quite essential breaking up the play? I like to use a defensive midfielder (in this case the anchorman) with a more creative player behind a trequartista type player.

3) Finally, the wing-backs. Both my full-backs are very solid all around wing-backs (14-16 Tackling, Marking, Positioning, Crossing, Dribbling, Pace, Acceleration). One is marginally better than the other. Which one shall I use as the more attacking wing-back, or could it work with both being utilised (I assume that would be way too attacking)?

4) Would it work with a Trequartista instead of Advanced Playmaker and a Poacher instead of DLF?

I know these are most of the positions in the squad! I ask because I have limited knowledge of tactics and I'm not sure how essential these roles are to the tactics, or what the effect would be of tweaking them to fit my players.

Thanks for the help.

I try to answer your questions the best I can:

1) You can try to use wingers instead of inside forwards. I haven't tested it myself, but cannot see any reason why it shouldn't work. However, if you do this, use a striker who is good in the air. So it wouldn't be a good idea to use wingers instead of inside forwards and at the same time switch the strikers role to poacher.

2) You can try this, but you need players in the middle that bother with winning the ball back. The attacking midfielder helps, but only higher up the pitch. The anchorman on the other hand stays deeper and provides much needed cover for the defense (rembember the wingbacks are very attacking and sometimes out of position to help defending). So if you change the BWM to something too much concerned about build-up play, you'll be missing a battler in the middle of the pitch (which might result in a reduction of possession). Plus you already have a creative player in the attacking midfielder. Another one right behind him probably wouldn't add much to the creation of chances but only rival the AMC, who in turn will get less time on the ball.

3) I think you can use both against weaker opponents or bring the second one on if you need to score. It's actually quite fun to watch when you have wingbacks who are skilled offensively. It's all about balance though, so choose the player according to circumstances (opponent, ingame situation etc.)

4) Depending on your player it is good to switch the AMC to trequartista. But I'd advise to increase his closing down setting to the same mark he has now (again, it's essential to have central players challenging for the ball). I tried the tactic with a poacher-setting for the striker and it was slightly less effective than it is now. The striker was a bit less integrated into the game. But it might have been due to the fact, that my striker was only halfway suited for a poacher-role. So just try it out, but NOT together with wingers instead of inside forwards.

Hope that helps

It definitely does, thanks!

I've been using it so far as you originally created it (only reversing the wing-back to the opposite flank, and swapping the BWM and Anchorman to cover for that).

I really like it so far. Beat Liverpool 5-0 in the Community Shield (I'm only Leeds, and although we won the league last year (lords knows how, went on a really good run) we have a very young team and have often struggled against the top teams, unless we play a direct, defensive tactic (and where's the fun in that)? Unfortunately we could only muster a 2-2 draw a week later in the same fixture (first match of league) but that's mostly down to Finishing. The build-up play looks really good and we're generally passing it round well, dominating possession against the weaker sides and creating lots of chances.

The best thing about it is that it works just as effectively away from home (against the weaker sides at least)! It's not quite 100% fluid yet and once it is I can focus match prep on Defensive Positioning so I'm hoping it should really click.

Anyway I sold my Poacher and signed a guy I've been chasing since the previous summer (Carlos Fierro - absolute machine). The guy has amazing Poacher stats but also makes a great DLF and fits the tactic perfectly. I've swapped my wingers to the opposite wingers and had them cutting inside onto their strong foot and it seems to be doing ok so far, although I think this is part of the reason for squandering so many chances. Fierro has a good Heading stat (although Jumping is only 10), so tempted to try Wingers and maybe Drill crosses and see how that goes - scared to temper with it though!

I will stick with BWM then. My creative centre mid has decent defensive stats anyway, just a piddly 4 Aggression which is something of a worry. Will try having both wing-backs alongisde the Anchorman against weak sides at home and see how that goes! I agree, it is great to watch when you have two full-backs who are also great going forward and get involved in attacks.

I will try making my AM a Trequartista then (his attributes are perfect for both roles really) and see how effective he is. I can always switch back if he's not getting as involved as I'd like or struggles.

Thanks a lot for the response!

Edit: Just beat Juventus 5-1. Very impressive stuff.

Hello papamogl, thanks for your great tactic! I tinkered with it a bit to suit my team and now I'm on a roll since the start of the season and haven't lost after 22 matches in the EPL. Although my save is as far in the future as 2025 and of course AI teams are getting weaker, I am still fully satisfied with a tactic for the first time this year. Here is a table (note: scored more than 3 per game and player ratings!)

league.jpg

and some remarkable results (within first half of the season):

Tottenham (H) 5-0

Liverpool (H) 5-1

Barcelona (A) 2-0

Barcelona (H) 4-1

Arsenal (H) 5-1

Manchester City (A) 6-0

results.jpg

Here are my team instructions and player roles:

tactics.jpg

The front 5 are instructed to dribble often (as it seems very effective in the current M.E.) and the wing-backs get a lot of useful crosses in despite their mediocre attributes because the opposition can't cope with the amount of players and leaves them with acres of space.

I don't use shouts, match prep is done by my AssMan, I always give a "have faith" team talk before a match, and "not happy" at half-time if not leading, "don't get complacent" with a 1-goal lead and "keep it up" when ahead 2 goals or more.

Once again, thanks a lot for your great tactic!

Just finished the season, won the treble (League, FA, CL). League without losing a game and 102 points and 123 goals. The CL sounds tough but I never had to be nervous: Real, Bayern, ManUnited and Barca in the final. I will upload screenshots tomorrow. Terrific work, papamogl!

Some feedback on my experience:

Started off using the tactic exactly as you had it. My inside forwards only have 11/15 and 8/13 for the Finishing/Composure attributes respectively, and I found that although we usually dominated possession and created a ton of chances, we barely created any CCCs and really struggled to find the net.

So I made a couple of tweaks, as you recommended above. I switched the inside forwards to wingers, and switched the Advanced Playmaker to Trequartista. Also switched my wing-backs over (well, which one was more attacking), as I realised although one was marginally better, the other had much better Decisions and Composure attributes. He's doing quite well there now, and indeed scored a bleeding hat-trick against Huddersfield (a great run across the defence before finding the bottom corner from 18 yards, a close range finish from about 8 yards and a penalty).

Lo and behold, suddenly we were scoring for fun. Although not many goals were scored directly from wingers beating their man and getting a cross in, the main reason (I think) is that our wingers are now not giving the ball away as cheaply. Instead they're using their strengths (dribbling, pace, decisions, crossing) and squaring the ball to my two best players - the trequartista and DLF, who are fantastic at finding space for themselves and each other. As a result those two can't stop scoring, whilst the wingers and centre-backs (set-pieces) pop up with the odd goal.

Take a look. The red box is the results after the tweaks, the results above it were with the original, unchanged tactic.

n5k83p.png

I think the main part is adjusting the roles to fit the individual players. It's a bloody fine tactic and does what it says on the tin. But to be most effective, it has to play to the player's strengths (or else buy players to fit the tactic!). By creative midfielder is decent in the BWM role (his defensive attributes range from 12-14), but his aggression is a pretty measly 4, so he does often duck out of tackles, which is the only shame. Not sure what to do with him. Going forward he's still a great asset and generally does ok with interceptions and whatnot, but I think as a result defensively we are a bit prone. Oddly he fits the anchorman role far better as it has less reliability on the Aggression attribute. Dunno. Will get back to you.

My trequartista has scored 12 goals in the 9 games since tweaking (having scored 7 in 13 before), and the DLF has scored 8 in 9 (having scored 6 in 14 before).

Great feedback, thanks a ton. Indeed it's important to use your players according to their strengths, which means changing certain roles is a good idea. Your current run of form is a fine example for that. So thanks for showing how the tactic can (and should) be tweaked to suit your team best

Haven't played FM13 for weeks and weeks. Partly because I haven't found a tactic that works, partly down to time but mainly due to the fact that NUFC have been so poor 'in real life' I just avoided anything remotely football related!

Anyway, after we have evolved in to the French national team I have got the love back, added the new players and started a game earlier this afternoon. Haven't played too many yet, in fact just the pre-season games but it is playing well so far. In particular the left back (Santon) has been out of this world, he is up and down the wing and scores every game, which is odd as it is the right back as a wing back?

The only change I have made is to stick the AML in as a second AMC on the left hand side, mainly due to not having a decent AML in the side - perhaps that gives Santon more space? I'm semi tempted to stick my AMR (Ben Arfa) in the centre too and put Debuchy back as a DR to see how that goes?

Team is...

GK - Krul

RB - Debuchy

LB - Santon

DC - Coloccini

DC - Mbiwa

DMC - Tiote

MC - Strootman (only signing)

AMR - Ben Arfa

AMCC - Cabaye

AMCL - Sissoko

FC - Cisse

Hi I have been trying out your tactic , seems very good , I am playing as Arsenal my team is still not fully accomplished with the formation yet but its looking good.

I tried changing the inside forwards and amc to wingers and Trequartista but its not been that great for me so I switched it back , it may be just that I need to give the tactic longer for my team too adjust.

My only problem so far is I'm conceding at least a goal a game

@geordietodger if you decide to try the tactic with three AMCs, please let me know if it worked well - I haven't tested this myself.

@gunnermitch I don't know who your wingers are, but it seems to be very important that the players fit the roles they have to interpret. Seftinho is having great success with very similar changes to those you made.

I know about the defense being vulnerable on occasions. Usually the attack can make up for it though. But if I should decide to work on a v2, tightening up the defense would be a main focus

Hi

Thanks for the response , on the subject of player roles , where would you suggest Fellaini plays ?

At present he plays the anchor man role as I use Arteta and sometimes Wilshere in the ball winning midfield role as I don't have many defensive minded midfielders at present. Something I may invest in once Arteta retires.

Also is it ok to play a more attacking player in the central midfield bwm role Im fairly certain Wilshere and Arteta have good defensive stats as well as attacking

cheers

Wilshere should do fine as BMW, Arteta maybe a bit less, but he's still ok for the role. In my opinion Fellaini can play both, the anchorman and the bmw. So adding a real anchorman might be a good idea at some point (but then again, as Arsenal you could needa classy left wingback too)

Wilshere should do fine as BMW, Arteta maybe a bit less, but he's still ok for the role. In my opinion Fellaini can play both, the anchorman and the bmw. So adding a real anchorman might be a good idea at some point (but then again, as Arsenal you could needa classy left wingback too)

call any suggestions on a good anchorman?

As for leftback I signed Neil Taylor so may will stick with him for now.

Also I have just signed Admilson , I noticed you got him as well , how do you find him on the dlp/s role?

cheers

Mitch

Actually Ademilson might be better as a Poacher. I bought him just to see how he develops. So far he played well enough for me.

As anchormans, if you can spend big, Felipe Melo, Lassana Diarra, Nigel de Jong (if you can stand his personality), or Javi Mascherano should be great

cheers papamogl , Felipe Melo may be the best bet as he is 29 and may cost a little less but maybe getting someone with a few more seasons in them may be better.

playing the standard philosophy in last 2 games against Chelsea(H) and Spurs(A) which I won both 5-3 and 4-3 at spurs , the problem I'm getting is conceding goals still?

Playing Chelsea I was cruising 3-0 until they went level at 3-3 but eventually came out 5-3 winners , the same at Spurs I was cruising at 4-1 until they pegged me back to 4-3.

I like to use the counter system when holding a lead but prefer to only employ it in the later stages of a match otherwise I feel its just going to put more pressure on my defence if I employ it to early.

Do you use any shouts? When your holding on to a comfortable 3 goal lead, you can alter the wingbacks instructions to play a bit more cautiously. While this might reduce the chances you're gonna create, it most probably also will theirs. No problem with three goals ahead. I think this is the quickest way to tighten up the defense and quite a natural one as you don't need to be overly attacking at this stage of a match

Do you use any shouts? When your holding on to a comfortable 3 goal lead, you can alter the wingbacks instructions to play a bit more cautiously. While this might reduce the chances you're gonna create, it most probably also will theirs. No problem with three goals ahead. I think this is the quickest way to tighten up the defense and quite a natural one as you don't need to be overly attacking at this stage of a match

hi

No shouts used , I may try the wingback advice.

cheers

Won the PL and CL double as Spurs in my third season, using this tactic. Only drew one league game all season, think my record was 30 wins, 1 draw, 7 losses, but this includes two losses near the end where the league was won and I was resting people for the CL, and also one loss was against another human player ( Newcastle ).

Seemed to start a bit ropey for me this season ( start of season 4 ), so I've decided to switch up for a while, but this tactic served me extremely well for almost two full seasons !

• 4 weeks later...

Archived