• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season 2016/17

Pre Season Review

Helmond Sport

Dutch Premier Division (Eredivisie)

Helmond_Sport.png

Squad was torn apart again. Unfortunately I couldn't make all the signings I needed before our first game - including no senior left back.

HelmondSport_TransfersHistory.png

I sold Quin Kruijsen to balance the books - and also because our parent club has a "players move freely" clause. I think this may be a bug as Quin Kruijsen was originally transferred for just £5k to VVV - however as I'm unlikely to get any answer from SI anytime soon I decided to revert to an earlier save and sell him for a proper fee. I think it would be incredibly unrealistic for us to sell our best player for the equivalent of his weekly wage so am happy with this - however I will leave when my contract runs out because of this bug/clause.

Key players brought in so far:

Davy Klaassen - free transfer from Ajax to provide some competition upfront

Mats Daehli - playmaker brought in on a free from Man Utd

Artur Braga - excellent young left winger on a free from Porto. Has a min fee clause of £650k though which I expect i'll have to renegotiate during the season.

Finances are decent thanks to the large player sale:

HelmondSport_BoardroomFinances.png

And our friendly performances were acceptable:

Friendlyfixtures.png

First fixture is a tricky home tie to Ajax.

Firstly, we made a few additions to the squad before the transfer window closed, these being the best:

Mohamed Jaadi - young left back on loan from Ajax for the season

Sebastian Boenisch - experienced Polish left back on loan from Feyenoord

Vincent Acapandie - Reunionese right back signed on a free

Paulus Arajuuri - Finnish centre back signed to provide cover

Noui Laifa - Algerian defensive midfielder, signed as we've started playing a 4-5-1 more often.

Ghislain Gimbert - experience French striker signed on a free

We also sold out all our season tickets.

I also have some other interesting news.....

And we've played 3 games so far, with mixed results:

First up a friendly (fortunately) against South Africa:

SouthAfricavParaguay_OverviewOverview.png

Then a good win against Bolivia in 2018 qualifying:

ParaguayvBolivia_OverviewOverview.png

Then a heavy loss against a Suarez inspired Uruguay:

UruguayvParaguay_OverviewOverview.png

So with 10 games remaining we're 8th - I'm aiming for 5th spot and a play off against an AFC team:

FIFAWorldCupCONMEBOL8games.png

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

Founded in 1892, Hertha BSC are a professional German club currently playing in the 2. Bundesliga. The club play their home games at Olympiastadion and possess top training facilities and average youth facilities. The Hertha BSC reserve team play at Olympiapark Amateurstadion. The club also has above average junior coaching and an established youth recruitment network. The club is affectionately known as Die Alte Dame.

As a club which enjoyed its best spell of success during the 1970s and their last competition win coming as recently as 2011, Die Alte Dame are a club with a growing history.Hertha BSC won the German top division in 1930 and 1931 and finished runners-up five times, finished runners-up in the DFB-Pokal in 1977 and 1979, won the German 2nd tier in 1990 and 2011 and finished runners-up once, and won the Ligapokal in 2001 and 2002 and finished runners-up once.

Squad - decent but lacking in centrebacks. That will be my transfer priority when January comes around.

Position - sitting in 15th but predicted 3rd so we should be able to push for promotion this season.

Finances - in a good position, bar the bank loan.

Facilities - brilliant - I have to use young players according to the board so I'm pleased the youth recruitment is at established. A slightly bigger stadium - look at all those seats!

herthastadium.jpg

Decent move to Berlin.

Thanks, I'm very pleased with it.

It's certainly a "sleeping giant" - good youth recruitment and a massive stadium. The squad has some issues (although we have won our first 3 games under my management) which I'll rectify in the January 2017 window. Central midfield and central defence need the biggest overhaul, all the remaining positions are more or less fine.

Season 2016/17

Mid Season Review

Hertha BSC Berlin

2nd Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

2nd Bundesliga: 5th

Unbeaten in the league since my arrival, although still 6 points behind 3rd placed 1860 Munchen (who we hammered whilst I was serving a touchline ban!)

German Cup: 2nd round

Knocked out at home by Koln, only by a dodgy penalty.

Key players:

Sami Allagui - the much-capped Tunisian international is our top scorer so far

Ronny - the Brazilian left back continued to be as important as I thought he would be

Bjarni Viarsson - Icelandic midfielder performed better than I expected him to, given his moderate attributes

Christopher Quiring - impressive performances on the right wing

Peter Pekarik - consistently strong from the Slovenian right back

Old club news:

Was pleased to see Pors Grenland going straight back up. :thup:

Season 2016/17

End of Season Review

Hertha BSC Berlin

2nd Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

2nd Bundesliga: 2nd

Couldn't catch Nurnberg, and we just about made 2nd on goal difference to 1860 Munchen, whom lost in the play offs.

German Cup: 2nd round

Key players:

Ronny - consistent throughout the season, but I expect I'll have to sell up in the summer to balance the books

Christopher Quiring - our best performer with goals and assists in double figures

Charles Yeboah - bargain £350k signing in the January transfer window, also won his first senior Ghana caps

Giray Kacar - £180k January signing to sort out the defence along with...

Roger Carvalho - Brazilian centre half signed on a free

Finances: Pretty dire, i'm going to have to offload some players in the summer I think to offset this.

Season    Club                 Division                           Position                Notes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012       Pors Grenland         Norwegian 2nd Division        4th         Joined 16th August 2012   
2013       Pors Grenland         Norwegian 2nd Division        1st          Champions, Promoted
2014       Pors Grenland         Norwegian 1st Division        2nd         Promoted
2015       Pors Grenland        Norwegian Premier Division    12th        Resigned 31st May 2015
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16   Helmond Sport      Dutch 1st Division              1st          Champions, Promoted
2016/17   Helmond Sport      Dutch Premier Division         Left 10th October 2016         
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17   Hertha BSC Berlin   German 2nd Division          2nd          Promoted                

Thanks all :thup:

The attendances dipped by about 10,000 from the year in the 2nd division (they rarely sell out the full stadium....yet!) so I expect this will be a slightly better season as far as that goes. The problem I'm having is player recruitment though - I've signed a load of youngesters on Bosmans but I need a bit more quality than we have at the moment.

Season 2017/18

Pre Season Review

Hertha BSC Berlin

Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

Transfers: as usual I had a bit of a clearout, but due to the financial situation I've largely had to sign promising young players. Key transfers when the season started:

Fabrizio Landi: Italian striker on a free after his release from Serie B Grossetto

Alexandre Duchene: French attacking midfielder on a free from Sedan

Malik Caillaud: French striker on a free from Nantes.

Finances: Still awful, but hopefully will clear up once we start having a few home games.

Friendlies: not great but could be worse.

A Note on Format

I'm going to move to monthly updates from this season so this flows a little better.

Season 2017/18

Hertha BSC Berlin

Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

August/September 2017

League

HerthaFixturesAugSept_zps69de86d3.png

A poor run of dreadful, but perhaps not surprising results.I'm largely disappointed with the Koln loss, if anything.

We're just outside the relegation places:

1Bundesliga_AugSept_zpsa7c9980d.png

German Cup

HerthaFixturesCupAugSept_zpsc34858f4.png

Easy win over non league opposition.

Transfers

I picked up a few more players before the window closed:

Gregory Michel

Amaury Lacazette

Rodrigo Abuarre

Jean-Marc Marion

Jordan Loties

Season 2017/18

Hertha BSC Berlin

Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

October 2017

League

HerthaBSC_FixturesOct_zps7dd2aa5c.png

Considerably better, unbeaten in October.

Slowly moving up the table now:

1Bundesliga_Oct_zpsefd537ef.png

Transfer News

I'm selling Ronny for £3m in January to PSV - his contract was running out and there's no way I'm paying £49k a week for a 31 year old left back.

Season 2017/18

Hertha BSC Berlin

Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

November 2017

League

HerthaBSC_Nov_zps7ace8825.png

An excellent away win at Schalke followed by two disappointing defeats, and then a hard won 3 points against fellow relegation contenders Nurnberg.

Still treading water:

1Bundesliga_Nov_zpseba6214b.png

German Cup

CupNov_zpsa22a2637.png

Straightforward away win at 2nd Division Cottbus in the 2nd round.

Season 2017/18

Hertha BSC Berlin

Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

January 2018

League

LeagueJan_zpsbdd2fd95.png

A good win at away at Dusseldorf, and a hard fought draw at home to Dortmund.

Getting some breathing space between us and the relegation spots now:

1Bundesliga_Jan_zpsda374d73.png

January Transfer Window

As noted before, I had to sell Ronny for £3m to PSV for financial reasons. I bought this chap as a replacement for £600k:

KostasKoukakis_Transfer_zpse1293da1.png

Finances

Unfortunately these have deteriorated dramatically - hopefully when we get prize money at the end of the season this will put us in the black.FinancesJan_zpsaa5f13b3.png

Season 2017/18

Hertha BSC Berlin

Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

February 2018

League

FixturesFeb_zps75681aa8.png

Two great wins against bottom club Koln and HSV, and a draw against Stuttgart from 2-0 down. The Bayern result was predictable.

13 points clear of the relegation play off now - we should be fine.

1Bundesliga_Feb_zps42c017d4.png

Season 2017/18

Hertha BSC Berlin

Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

March 2018

League

Leaguefixturemarch_zpsd8904bc8.png

Poor defeat at home to Hannover to start with, then two good wins and two decent enough draws.

Getting a bit of a nosebleed now:

1Bundesliga_march_zps737f50d2.png

German Cup

Cupfixturemarch_zps7f4f2e85.png

Inevitable away defeat at Bayern Munich - not helped by having seven of my first team on international duty :mad:

Season 2017/18

End of Season Review

Hertha BSC Berlin

1st Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

1st Bundesliga: 8th

A good first season back in the top tier - we could have had a stab at the European spots until losing 3 of the last 4 games.

German Cup: Quarter Finals

A good run until the inevitable defeat at Bayern Munich.

Key players:

Jordan Loties - veteran French centre back did his best

Christopher Quiring - strong as ever on the wing

Charles Yeboah - top scorer but could have done a little better

Bjani Vidarsson - our best central midfielder. Bizarrely joining relegated Nurnberg on a bosman though.

Amaury Lacazette - young midfielder on a season long loan from PSG kept some of the older players out the team.

Finances: Thanks to the excellent prize money of approx £15m, now comfortably in the black after being insecure for a large part of the season.

Season    Club                 Division                           Position                Notes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012       Pors Grenland         Norwegian 2nd Division        4th         Joined 16th August 2012   
2013       Pors Grenland         Norwegian 2nd Division        1st          Champions, Promoted
2014       Pors Grenland         Norwegian 1st Division        2nd         Promoted
2015       Pors Grenland        Norwegian Premier Division    12th        Resigned 31st May 2015
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16   Helmond Sport      Dutch 1st Division              1st          Champions, Promoted
2016/17   Helmond Sport      Dutch Premier Division         Left 10th October 2016         
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17   Hertha BSC Berlin   German 2nd Division          2nd          Promoted    
2017/18   Hertha BSC Berlin   German 1st Division           8th           Qualified for Europa League

Future

I have a year left on my contract, so it depends on how the next season will go. We need to strengthen in the summer, and I already have some excellent free transfers coming in.

Season 2018/19

Pre Season Preview

Hertha BSC Berlin

Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

Transfers: usual turnover - largely replaced with better quality and cheaper players.

Key signings:

Gao Shuchun: Bargain £200k signing, the Chinese international will largely play at centre back, alongside...

Corentin Masson: free transfer from Auxerre to marshal the defence

Gonzalo Castro: £600k signing from Leverkeusen, to provide an experienced presence in midfield

Alexey Koblov: Russian international keeper signed on a free from Krasnodar

Timo Gebhart - experienced versatile attacking midfielder, on a free from relegated Nurnberg

Finances: Comfortably in the black now

Friendlies: not many of these due to the Europa League, although some good results. Away at Palermo was an impressive one.

Expectations: I said we could get to the Europa League this season, which I think is fair given our solid performance last time around.

Europa League

The early entry cut our pre-season short, however it was useful to have early competitive matches.

Europaqualifiers_zps33c360fb.png

Drawing at home to an Armenian side in the 1st qualifying round was a tad disappointing, but at least we had done a good job away in the 1st leg. The Djurgarden result was fine, and we just about made it past Polish runners-up Slask Wroclaw with a professional away performance.

Next up is a tough tie in the play off round against Standard Liege.

• 2 weeks later...

Season 2018/19

Hertha BSC Berlin

Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

August/September 2018

League

Fixturesaugsept_zpsb45e00ac.png

Utterly dreadful start to the season sees us in the relegation places already. I have no idea what has happened, although the fixture list has been a little unkind.

1Bundesliga_Sept_zpsb5ea9fd5.png

German Cup

Cupfixturessept_zps6957f4a1.png

Decent result in the first round

Europa League

Europefixturessept_zps0c7d0641.png

We overcame Standard Liege on penalties in the play-off round, to qualify for the group stages where we face Dnipro, Ajax, and Aab. A decent draw in the Ukraine started the group stages off.

Europaleaguesepttable_zps84de8c56.png

Season 2018/19

Hertha BSC Berlin

Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

October 2018

League

Leaguefixturesoct_zps710d8623.png

Much better performances this month move us away from the relegation spots

LeagueOctober_zps2cccc115.png

German Cup

Cupoct_zps5f75cc26.png

Absolutely dreadful performance in an admittedly thrilling game at home to 2nd Bundesliga side Dusseldorf. Not helped by playing most of extra time with 9 players after late injuries.

Europa League

Europaoct_zpsb1c464ef.png

Two decent draws keep us in the hunt for the play off rounds.

Europatableoct_zps505d64b4.png

Season 2018/19

Hertha BSC Berlin

Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

November 2018

League

Leaguefixturesnov_zps52852ac5.png

Two wins bookended 3 losses, with all winning goals coming in the 86th minute or later :mad:

Leaguenov_zpsd9b9e284.png

Europa League

Europaleaguetablenov_zps3d0b4645.png

Great win against Aab puts us in a good position to qualify for the knockout stages, provided we win at home to bottom club Dnipro.

Europaleaguenov_zps072841cb.png

Season 2018/19

Hertha BSC Berlin

Bundesliga

Hertha_Berlin_SC.png

December 2018

League

Leaguefixturesdec_zps82edca6b.png

An excellent month with 3 wins from 3.

Leaguetabledec_zps95f0a7b1.png

Europa League

Eurpefixturesdec_zps8335d5ac.png

We beat Dnipro to qualify for the knockout rounds with a game to spare. The last game against Ajax was thanks to my second string keeper having a nightmare.

Europaleaguedec_zps3e91934e.png

Update on Players

Just an update now on our best performers now it is the midseason break

Corentin Masson - excellent performances from the centreback

Amaury Lacazette - strong in the middle of the park from the young Frenchman

Ben Sahar - 2nd top scorer with 9 goals in all competitions

Charles Yeboah - top scorer with 14 in all competitions, although about to head off to the African Cup of Nations

Christopher Quiring - nice work from the experienced winger

Alexey Koblev - the young Russian keeper has now claimed the No.1 jersey

Archived