Playmaker

Well I do - but I have no idea how your team plays - can you give us some information on your team instructions, play instructions and style - then we can help you work it out. It depends on what you are trying to achieve - a DLP selected is a great idea if you play a counter-attacking style - similarly, an advanced playmaker or trequartista can really help focus your attacks in the final third, especially in a possession-side.

in that situation, yes he is appropriate choice - you are playing a possession orientated game, so the AMC is a good choice for playmaker, ensures he is involved in key moves. If you were playing a counter-attacking style, your DLP would be the better choice.

in that situation, yes he is appropriate choice - you are playing a possession orientated game, so the AMC is a good choice for playmaker, ensures he is involved in key moves. If you were playing a counter-attacking style, your DLP would be the better choice.

So you would say my AMC should be set as playmaker?

I currently have the AMC and DMC playing playmaker roles but the DMC is set in team instructions.

i personally do the opposite to above. Dlp for possession and amc for counters.

But i'm no expert.

If your team plays bad with the amc as playmaker maybe they are trying to force the ball to him when he isn't in a good position to recieve it and that causes turnovers. Whereas the dlp for me has more time & space.

this is why i have it the way i do but what works for one might not work for another.

A DM is a good playmaker as they are usually in a lot of space. Although against teams with an AMC he may find himself more restriced and to be honest you dont want your team looking ot pass to the player who is being closely guarded by the oppositions most creative player. As a general rool of thumb Id say make your playmaker the player who will find himself in the most space centrally, you dont want your team looking ot always pass to a player who is being closely marked. Its why Busquets is so vital to Barca, he always puts himself in space to receive a pass when Xavi,Iniesta run into trouble and need a quick easy ball that will retain possesion. I agree with piratesarecool somebody in the DM strata for possesion someone further forward for counters. Could even try setting a winger up for counters as they are usually in a lot of space when the full backs have pushed on.

I very very rarely set Playmaker or Targetman.

re: playmaker you're better off just restricting through balls from all other players' instructions, and having your playmaker make loads of them.

Targetman-wise, I just set that player to hold-up ball.

I rarely play with a playmaker as I like the team to play how they want, HOWEVER if I want the play directed a certain way or down a certain path, then that is how I use it.

I'd be very carefull about building a formation around a fixed position playmaker.

Example: If you have an AMC and the opposition have set up without a DMC, then setting your AMC as playmaker might work nicely, however if they are setting up with two DM's then settings your AMC as playmaker is just wrong (in my view). He will have no space and will likely be marked all the time. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule! If both of those DM's pick up early yellow cards, then it might be fun :)

When I do use the PM, its gererally to exploit a weakness rather than focus on one of my players. As above, If there is space for my AMC then I might set it to him, if they are 2xDM's and no MC's then I may set it to my MCD.

That said... there is no 'right' way to play this game.

Every time I switch to AMC as playmaker, my team starts playing awfully. Any idea why?

(Tactic still the same as posted above).

Do you by any chance have him on Forward Run Often?

Bear in mind that a playmaker needs to be IN SPACE to receive the ball. If he isn't and your team keep directing the ball to him he is going to lose it way to much if he doesnt he will be under pressure a lot.

If you want him to receive the ball when he is under pressure then it's not so much his creative play that needs to be taken into account its his control and mental attributes..... strength, first touch, bravery, determination etc etc.

I think you really need to look at WHY you want a playmaker? What are you actually trying to acheive? Is it simply having one that you want or are you trying to direct play?

If you are not watching the games (in full for me) then those questions are going to be very hard to answer.

As my previous post said, I will rarely choose a playmaker who is not in space. Unless it's for a very specific reason (think yellow/red cards).

Regards

LAM

I think playmaker is actually the wrong word because id consider a top playmaker to be somebody who gets lots and lots of assists and strings together everything. whereas if you set a playmaker in the team instructions it is more of a "your players will look to pass to him more than any other player".

Archived