Tomtuck's First FM Career Adventure

tomtuck01

200px-Emblem_of_FC_Seoul.svg.png

Thomas Lewis' Management Career - October 2011 - FC Seoul

K-League

leaguefixturesoctober20.png

finaltableoctober2011.png

After our little dip in September we finished the season well with three wins in a row to finish second in the K-League. The results were even better in my eyes because we did it without either of the teams best two strikers; Lee Seung-Ryul and Dejan Damjanovic.

Our second placed finish has meant that we will go straight into the semi-final of the Championship Playoffs, and Suwon will go straight into the final.

The playoffs work in a funny little way, here is how it happens;

Match 1 - 4th vs. 5th

Match 2 - 3rd vs. 6th

Match 3 - Winner Match 1 vs. Winner Match 2

Semi Final - 2nd vs. Winner Match 3

All of the above ties are played over one game. Finishing second not only means we are straight into tje semi-final, but also means that we play that game at home.

Final - 1st vs. Winner Semi Final

The final is played over two legs, with th team that finished top of the league being away from home in the first leg.

Asian Champions League - Semi Final

asianchampsleaguesemifi.png

Although we didn't win either of the games against Al-Hilal, we did give two terrific performances. At home in the first leg we were excellent, but losing Lee Seung-Ryul to injury early on was a blow - especially when after the game he was ruled out for 2-3 months. The man who can on for him [Dejan Damjanovic] put us ahead, but after that we couldn't get another goal and Al-Hilal equalised late on, getting what could have been an all important away goal.

The second leg started brilliantly when after just eight minutes Mauricio Molina curled in a freekick and canceled out their away goal from the first leg. Al-Hilal pressured us after that and equalised on the half hour mark, but just four minutes later we retook the lead. In the 86th minute though they hit back, and it lead to a nervy few minutes thereafter. We held on however, and secured a place in the final of the Asian Champions League.

In the final we face Saudi Arabian opposition again in the form Al-Ittihad. It is a one off game played at the ground of one of the finalists. The venue is decided by a draw, and Al-Ittihad won the draw and will therefore be at home.

------------------------------------------

Time for the final of the ACL then and the K-League playoffs. At the end of this I could have won three trophies in just five months in football management!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a bad place to finish in the league,hopefully the playoffs will go your way.Congrats on your ACL semi-final win,hopefully you can overcome Al-Ittihad on their ground.

Thanks alot. :thup: Going to be tough in the ACL, AL-Ittihad are strong favourites for a reason I suupose.

Thomas Lewis' Management Career - FC Seoul - Season 2011

Asian Champions League Final

How We Got To The Final

asianchampsleaguefixtur.png

The only games I was in charge of were the two legs of the quarter finals and semi finals. Previous to that the side had a comfortable run in the cmpetitions, winning all of their games. As for the games I was in charge for, the win away at Gamba Osaka really sticks out. The perfect away performance from us.

The Final

aclfinal2011.png

In the final when it mattered the team came up short. Shorn of our top scorer, (Lee Seung-Ryul), and a barely fit Dejan Damjanovic only fit enough for a place on the bench, I had to field a striker who had started just six games all season. We Kept the ball well, but they created more chances and took them when they came. The goal that made it 3-1 came when we were throwing men forward late on. I can't complain about the result, they were more clinical than us on the day.

Not a nice feeling to lose in such a big game, and to be a little selfish victory would have probably done my reputation wonders. Still, there is the league championship to play for. Time to pick the players spirits up!

You'll need to after that.

Thankfully before the playoffs get underway a few of the players are going on international duty, so hopefully their morale will improve a bit then.

Good luck in the Play-Off's & such hard luck in the Final mate!!

Well I don't know, we had more possession than them but couldn't do anything with it. The result was fair enough really.

Well from winning a cup in your 3rd match to not winning a couple of things and a fall out isn't great relatively, though you're right, perhaps a bit of an extreme term and things aren't that bad on their own. Fair comment.

K-League Semi-final Playoff

After finishing second in the K-League we were automatically in the K-League semi-final playoff. The playoffs, as explained in post 48, work in a strange way. After the rounds one and two of the playoffs, it was Ulsan who prevailed and would be the team we faced for a spot in the championship final against Suwon Blue Wings.

Since I took the reigns at Seoul we had faced Ulsan once before, and convincingly beat them 5-1. In semi finals though, anything can happen.

The Match

kleague2011playoffsemif.png

A solid enough win, and a really good performance from third choice striker Kang Jeong-Hoon. It may not have been as spectacular as the 5-1 win, but in a semi-final I dont care how we do it aslong as we win. The worry though was that despite having more of the possession again, it was the opposition who created more chances. Something to ponder.

On to the two legged final then, with the first leg at home. Wish me luck, against Suwon I may need it!

K-League Championship Final

So after just a few short months in charge of FC Seoul here I was on the brink of winning the K-League Championship. After winning our semi-final against Ulsan we faced Suwon Blue wings, automatically in the final after finishing top of the regular season table.

Since taking charge at Seoul we had faced Suwon twice before, one resulting in a 3-0 win ad the other in a 2-0 defeat. As the side that topped the table at the end of teh regular season Suwon were favourites for the 1st leg, even though it was at my ground.

1st Leg

kleague2011final1stleg.png

A top performance from us, especially in the first half. Mauricio Molina really stepped up to the plate after some less than brilliant performances in the last few games of the regular season. This put us in a very commanding position heading into the second leg. Surely we couldn't throw this away?

2nd Leg

kleague2011final2ndleg.png

Absolutely brilliant. Just 151 days in charge and I had lifted a second trophy, this time the league championship. It was was an extremely controlled performance from us, even though I went in with the usual 4-2-3-1 system. Lee Seul-Ki put in one of his best performances since joining us, and Kang Jeong-Hoon was excellent again, grabbing his sixth goal in his recent run of eight starts. They got a goal back on the stroke of halftime and in the second half things were a little shakey. We held on though to win 2-1, and take the championship 5-1 on aggregate. Amazing!!

Well what an amazing few months it has been in South Korea. A full review of the season since I took charge will be posted tomorrow or Wednesday. Hopefully tomorrow, but it is my girlfriends birthday!

Excellent work. Congratulations on the double :applause:.

Thanks alot. Not sure what to do now though to be honest!

Happy Birthday tomtucks girlfriend.

Haha I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

Anyway no update until tomorrow, I'm heading out very soon so don't have the time!

Before diving into my season review, I'll let you know that I'll only be posting results, etc. from when I took charge. This is my career, not some useless manager before me who left with Seoul in sixth place!

Oh and thanks/sorry to SRL88, I have once again taken my idea of how to do this post from his thread.

Thomas Lewis' Management Career - Season 2011 Review - FC Seoul

K-League

Results - Final Table

Finishing second in the table and going straight into the semi-final of the championship playoffs was a great achievement after

where we were when I took over. In twelve games the team collected 29pts which is very good indeed. I was also pleased with how we did in the last month without either of our first choice strikers.

K-League Playoffs

Brilliant achievement from the players. To say I was thrilled is an understatement. The performances against Suwon were awesome, and given the form of the team since I took over the championship was richly deserved.

Domestic Cups

KFA Cup - Peace Cup

The result in the KFA Cup was very disappointing, but it was in and around other important games in the league, so they had to take priority. The Peace Cup was sensational. The semi-final was on the first day incharge, and the final just my third game. To win a trophy so early in my tenure was fantastic.

Asian Champions League

Results

To take the team so close to winning the ACL for the first time in their history and fall at the final hurdle was disappointing, but I was so proud of the players. Against Gamba Osaka they were unreal, and even though we didn't beat Al-Hilal in either semi, (won on away goals), it was a great achievement to knock them out as they were such strong favourites. In the final we just didn't do enough with the ball despite having more possession, and I couldn't really complain with the result.

A great experience for the players, and I'm sure it can be won by the side in the future.

Other Info

Transfers - Finances

The players brought in all served their purpose. Lee Seul-Ki performed very well, getting three goals and seven assists in his 19 appearances. Lee Young-Pyo proved t be an excellent back-up, stepping in six times and getting an average rating on 7.00. And Lee Beom-Soo came in as second choice GK and wasn't required.

Financially the club are in a good position. Overall a profit has been made this season, and the clubs involvement in next seasons ACL will really help them even more.

Top 3 Players

Lee Seung-Ryul

Not player I identified at the start of the season as one of my three key players, but he really performed once he got a starting spot. An injury curtailed his season though, and who knows how he would have done had he not missed the last two months of the season.

Mauricio Molina

A top player, and without a doubt the clubs best player. His set pieces alone are worth their weight in gold. His age though means his stats will soon start declining and the club needs to get the best out of him while he is still at this level.

Choi Tae-Wook

Spectacular from the moment I took over. I moved him from the right wing to the left wing, and his performances were much better than before I was in charge. As with Molina though, his age is a negative.

Overall it was a very good few months after I took the reigns from the previous management. Two trophies in just a few short months was an excellent return.

What Next

It is just a day after the K-League Championship final, and after just five months in charge I am considering leaving Seoul. There is little money in South Korea, and with the player restrictions, (just three foreigners in the match day squad), it will be very hard to kick on at all. I can't attract the best South Koreans as they either play abroad or for my rivals, and I already have my foreigner quota.

Of course I could stay and probably repeat this seaons success and maybe even win the ACL. But even at this early stage of my career I think there are better things, or atleast bigger challenges, out there for me.

Very good first few months,you did very well to get to the final of the ACL and were unlucky in the final.

Cheers. The problem with the final was that they (Al-Ittihad) seemed fresher than my side. Plus they have more quality foreigners in their squad, pressumably because of their league rules, whereas I only have three because of the K-League rules.

Runners up, winners, runners up, winners, runners up.

Not to shabby at all :thup:

Thanks alot. Still considering resigning though.

resignedfromseoul.png

After 171 days, two trophies, and a cracking experience, I have called time on my reign as manager of FC Seoul.

As I outlined in my season review post, I don't think I can do much more with Seoul with the restrictions on foreign players. Winning trophies in South Korea would be eaiser I feel now that I am use to the league. But I don't see how I could take it quite far enough in the Asian Champions League seen as other clubs in countries, such as Saudi Arabia, allow more foreigners in their teams.

I am now unemployed and seeking work.

Dont blame you for leaving and a nice addition to your CV. Any news on where you could be headed next?

Well as of yet there aren't many jobs I feel I could actually get. Most of them are top division jobs in England, Italy, and Spain. As of yet I don't feel that I'd have a good enough reputation t be landing thse jobs.

125px-Brist_Badge.png

Thomas Lewis' Career - New Club - Bristol Rovers FC

Name: Bristol Rovers FC

Nickname: The Gas

Year Founded: 1883

Stadium: The Memorial Ground (11,717 - 2746 seated)

bristolroversbackground.png

After just a few short months at FC Seoul, I resigned on December 24th 2011. Since then I have been unemployed. I have actively been seeking employment, but not many jobs came up that would fit my reputation - as in my reputation is still relatively low. This was until Bristol Rovers sacked their manager Paul Buckle after a run of just one win in five games. On Friday March 2nd 2012, I was hired as Bristol Rovers new manager, signing a contract worh £1,000 p/w until June 2013.

Here is how the table looks upon my arrival;

league2tablewhenappoint.png

The club are in a good position to go up, it just seems that the recent run under the former manager was too worrying for the board not to act.

Board Expectations

At the start of the campaign the expectation was for the club to get promoted to League 1. I join with that still on the cards. The board however say that I won't be judged on how I perform at present in League 2.

The club went out in the first round of the FA Cup, Calring Cup, and Johnstones Paint Trophy, so naturally I can't be assessed on those competitions!

Personal Expectations

League 2: Promotion - anything else I will see as a failure

Budget:

Transfer: £16,750

Wages: £32,389 (Currently spending £35,536)

Balance: -£1,034,280

Squad

I can't currently post a report on the squad on the basis that I have no assistant to provide one for me. I can however run through who are the teams key players;

Rhys Taylor - GK

Without a doubt my best goalkeeper. The young man has a tough job on his hands as my defence isn't the best.

Wayne Brown - MC

Great stamina and determination, at this stage of the season those will be crucial. Looks a decent player for this level.

Scott McGleish - ST

At 38 he is my oldest player, yet worryingly my best striker. His form hasn't been geat this term, but if I can get him scoring he will be crucial.

There you go then, my new club. Thirteen games to get through and a very realistic chance of promotion. My first game is Torquay at home on Saturday March 3rd - the day after my appointment.

Should have a good promotion charge.
Good luck with Bristol, promotion should be on the cards.

I quite agree, though it will be tough. As I said my defence doesn't look the best!

Nice little challenge there Tom :thup:.

Challenge? Pffft! I have won the South Korean League, it should be no challenge! ;)

Finances could do with promotion.

Definitely. Can't believe they're in such a mess. The best thing that can happen would be a takeover, but I don't see it happening.

Good luck at Bristol Rovers,automatic promotion could possibly be on the cards!

Without a doubt it's possible. A five point gap with 13 games to play is nothing really.

125px-Brist_Badge.png

Thomas Lewis' Career - March 2011 - Bristol Rovers FC

League 2

league2fixturesmarch.png

league2tablemarch.png

Very strange month really. The team remained unbeaten throughout, but it wasn't satisfying. I have said on a couple of occassions before, my defence really is poor. We keep letting in very sloppy goals, and at the minute this is holding us back. However, we are still very much in the picture for automatic promotion. All we have to do is keep a couple of clean sheets and we could be there, because goalscoring doesn't seem to be an issue. The most saatisfying result so far was the point away at Rotherham.

Here are our remaining fixtures in our quest for promotion;

remainingfixtures201112.png

With this run of fixtures I really think we can do it. Four out of six are at home, and if we win those then we'll be in a terrific position. I just hope Scott McGleish stays fit!

I have the utmost confidence in you to gain promotion :D.

Now that's more like it!

You might be best positioned, if no one is watching you.

That's true. Like I said, the home games will be the key, especially with two of them been against sides who are currently just a bit below me.

Archived