Tomtuck's First FM Career Adventure

tomtuck01

200px-Boston_United_FC_logo.svg.png

Thomas Lewis' Career - April 2013 - Boston United FC

Blue Square Bet Premier

bspaprilfixtures2013.png

bspfinaltable201213.png

Absolutely thrilled, to say the least.

A tough last month of the season which saw us play seven games could have proved very tricky, but was infact far less taxing than I thought it would be. Thankfully we got the title, and therefore promotion, wrapped up early in the month, first by beating Woking, and then by rounding it off in style against Braintree away. Following that we negotiated some trickier looking fixtures with the feeling that the season had ended, though still showed our supperiority by winning three of those final five games.

It wasn't a thrilling end to the season against Forrest Green Rovers, but with first place secured three weeks earlier and a hectic schedule throughout the month, I was just pleased the players were fit enough to put up a bit of a performance.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[

Thomas Lewis' Career - 2012/13 - Boston United FC

FA Trophy Final

How We Got To The Final

fatrophy2013runtothefin.png

The Final

vs.Newport County

fatrophyfinal2013.png

Anther trophy to add to the collection! At the start of the season it wasn't a priority, but as we got further in the competition I thought we could really go on and win it. We weren't at our best in the final after a long hard season, but we, (or Aaron Charity), took out chances when they came. The only bad point was them scoring a late consolation.

Brilliant! My fourth trophy as a manager in just under two years in football!

Thomas Lewis' Career - Season 2012/13 Review - Boston United FC

Blue Square Bet Premier

Results 1 - Results 2 - Results 3 - Final League Table (1st, promoted as champions)

Not to blow my own trumpet, but frankly that season is amazing. One of the favourites with the bookies to be relegated, but we showed them! Not only was I pleased about getting promoted, but we did in suxh style, losing just four games and finishing the season as joint top scorers. Just a brilliant effort from the squad. My second league win in my career thus far - superb.

FA Cup

Knocked out after 1st round replay

We didn't get very far, but I was pleased with our little run. We did excellently early-ish on in the season to get past Mansfield, and we were just superb in the two games against MK Dons. We probably didn't deserve to progress, but to miss out after been so close was gutting!

FA Trophy

Winners

Great performance to win the competiton. I would have been delighted at the start of the season to get as far as the semi-finals, but to lift the trophy was a great effort. Even though we did face mainly sides from the divisions below, we did have some great results along the way, inparticular the two legged play-off against Blyth. The final wasn't a great performance, but we just about deserved it on the basis that we took our chances when they came.

Other Info

Transfers - Finances

Alot of transfer acitivty at the club last summer after the teams promtion to BSP, but my did it bring rewards. Couldn't be happier with the boys I brought into the club after I took over. Jake Sinclair, after his release from Suthampton, was particularly a star.

Financially we have done well over the past year. At the minute we ae actually over the wage budget, but since taking charge the club has made an overall profit of jut over £31,235, which for such a small club isn't a bad effort at all.

Squad

We had to rely heavily on tw players, and I think to survive in the football league a few changes wuld need to be made. Having said that, if I was to be in charge for next season I would be inclined to give most of this squad a fair crack of the whip.

Top 3 Players

Aaron Charity

Just unbelievable. Goal after goal came his way. At one stage though he did go 11 hhours without a goal. If it had not been for that run, god knows how he would have done! Think he'd definitely be able to step up the League 2 next term.

Jake Sinclair

For such a young boy he was immense. 17 when he joined, but he really performed like a man. Upfront or outwide, he put in performance after perfrmance. As with Charity, I think he'd be able to make the step up to League 2. For such a young man, surely he can nly get better?

Mamadou Traore

And to think at the start of the season I wasn't even picking him! Assist, after assist, after assit. Traore proved to be invaluable in the middle of midfield, but I'm not sure at all that he'd be able to make the step up to the fotball league.

What Next

Unles I get an offer from the Championship I think I will probably stay. But I'm not making any promises. Hopping from club to club with quick success seems to be what I'm good at., so maybe I should stick to that? My worry with Boston, is that as much as I'd like to go into the football league with the same squad, I think big changes would be needed to survive. Tempting as it is, I'm not sure I'd be up fr the fight.

Would be an interesting challenge at Barnsley. Definitely worth applying for to see what comes of it.

Didn't apply for the job and wasn't approached anyway.

I've been linked with a few other jobs, and even applied for a couple, but as of yet no offers. Reckon I'll stay with Boston for now - there's a new contract on the table just waiting for me to put my name to it.

Thomas Lewis' Career - Season Preview - 2013/14 - Boston United FC

Board Expectations

Legaue 2: Avoid relegation

FA Cup: Learn from the experience

League Cup: Learn from the experience

Johnstones Paint Trophy: Learn from the experience

Personal Expectations

Legaue 2: The same as the board; avoid relegation

FA Cup: A Second Round appearance would be great

League Cup: Same as with the FA Cup

Johnstones Paint Trophy: Just to go as far as we can

Budgets

Transfer: £0

Wages: £17,403 (Currently spending £13,773)

Balance: £-132,529 (Down £175,769 from last season)

The finances are a concern. It is purely the boards fault though for spanding so much on on replacing some of the standing area with seating. Idiots.

Squad

squadstartof201314.png

Not many numbers at the minute, but it is only early July and that will n doubt change before the start of the season. I have a few players in the pipeline and hpefully they will decide to join us.

Key Players

Aaron Charity

Last season he was unreal in helping us get promoted. If he does half as well this term, I think we could easily manage to stay in the division.

Jake Sinclair

The same as with Charity really. Last season he was excellent in the BSP. Hopefully this season he can do ok aswell. For such a young lad it will interesting to see if he makes the step up.

Rob Kiernan

Young central defender brought in on a free. Looks like he could be very good at this level.

Given the date that I have taken over this job, I will be combining a New Club/Season Preview Post all into one, with the exception of a transfer update, which will follow before the start of the season or after the end of the transfer window - it just depends what I can be bothered doing at the time!!

------------------------------------------------

150px-Swansea_City_AFC_logo.svg.png

Thomas Lewis' Career - New Club/Season Preview 2013/14 - Swansea City A.F.C

Name: Swansea City A.F.C

Nickname: The Swans

Year Founded: 1912

Stadium: The Liberty Stadium (20,520)

swanseabackground.png

Well I absolutely loved my season with Boston, but once I was approached by Swansea there was really no choice, and I readily accepted their offer. The only unfortunate thing about it is the timing; it's the 4th of August and there are only two weeks to go until the start of the Premier League season, and less than four weeks until the end of the transfer window.

Despite that I can't get wait to get stuck into what is my fourth job in management already. My time at Boston was my longest at any club by some way, and even that was only 394 days. At this moment in time I haven't even reached 100 games in management yet!

Finances

swanseafinancesupontaki.png

The finances aren't in the greatest shape, but the club will earn a lot of money throughout the season from TV rights, which why I guess they offered me such a massive transfer budget. Still, they will need to be stabilised at some point, becuase there is no guarantee that we will not be relegated this term!

Board Expectations

Premier League: Stay clear of relegation

FA Cup: Reach the 5th round

League Cup: Reach the 4th round

Personal Expectations

Premier League: If we finish in the top 14 spots I'll be delighted

FA Cup: A quarter final appearance wuld be unreal

League Cup: Just to go as far as we can

Budget:

Transfer: £20,155,190

Wages: £397,279 (Currently spending £446,066)

Balance: £2,371,850 (Full overview above)

The wage budget needs looking at, but I can always adjust the transfer budget if needs be. The transfer kitty is excellent, and I can't wait to get active in the market.

Squad

swanseasquaduponjoining.png

There are some very good players in the squad, and the age of it is good. Some of the players though are on very big wages and that will need to be addressed. I will certainly be looking to bring in a new central defender before the transfer window shuts.

Key Players

Michel Vorm

Superb goalkeeper. His wages are an issue but I'll be keeping him and trying to shift wages from elsewhere in the squad. He'll be crucial to our campaign.

Jay Rodrigiez

A new signing from Burnley this summer befor I took over. A good goalscorer is always useful and Rodriguez has some very good stats. He'll certainly be spearheading my attack this term.

Scott Sinclair

Was very surprised to see this man still at the club as on my other saves he has usually left in the opening transfer window! Hoping he cane reproduce the real life form that helped Swansea to promotion in 2011. His pace will be a terrific asset to us.

Rodriguez looks good I have always wanted to sign him. Any decent players available on frees or for loan?

So far i've got Henri Lansbury in on loan, and i've agreed a loan deal for Josh McEachran - he just has to put pen to paper. If he joins, then these two, along with Joe Allen, will form a very interesting looking all British midfield three.

I may have a couple of a good strikers at the club already, but i'm also in negotiations with a fairly big name who would smash the clubs transfer record.

Watch this space!

Looking forward to seeing who it is, Allen was pretty good for my Wales squad.

Well i'll have to keep you in suspense until later today when i can post screenshots and unveil him properly!

Excellent move there Tom. Really looking forward to seeing you get stuck in at Swansea.

Cheers. :thup: Still cant quite understand why they were so keen on me. Credit to the chairman for giving young managers a chance!!

Thomas Lewis' Career - Transfer Window Update - Swansea City

Transfers In

transfersinaugust2013.png

A fair bit was done throughout the window, but only the bottom four players on the list joined after I had been appointed as manager. The two players signed on loan before my appointment had their deals terminated, and altogether only three of the nine players signed before my arrival are wanted at the club.

Henri Lansbury

Will be a creative force in the middle of midfield this term. Hopefully I can get him to join permanently come the end of the season, but there is no fee agreed.

Morten Skjonsberg

A central defender was urgently needed, and althiugh this player isn't sensational I'm sure he'll prove to be steady enough for a season or two.

Papiss Cisse

The clubs record signing and I'm hoping for big things from him. So far he hasn't quite clicked into gear, but I'm sure that will come with time.

Younes Kaboul

A great signing I hope. He's easily my best central defender and will slot straight into the side after the international break.

The annying thing about the transfer window was that first Josh McEachran, and then Jacob Mellis, both rejected loan moves to the club.

Transfers Out

transfersoutaugust2013.png

Just the bottom five deals were after my arrival. The two key departures were Lass Schone and Steeven Joseph-Monrose. Schone's wages were far too high (£36,500 p/w), and Joseph-Monrose was on £20,000 p/w. He joined just last season for £90,000, so a great profit for the club.

Thomas Lewis' Career - August 2013 - Swansea City

Premier League

augustplfixtures2013.png

pltableaugust2013.png

A very solid start to life with Swansea. The first two games were better than the third against Bolton, even though the game at Man City ended in defeat whereas we took a point off Bolton. Our opening game was infront of the TV cameras, and we gave a great performance against Aston Villa, thumping them 5-1. After that was a very god performance at City. We defended well, and nearly snatched a point at the end, but it wasn't to be and all we took from the game was pride in our resillient peformance. The Bolton game at the end of the month was dissapointing though. After taking the lead early, Boltn then went down to ten men. However, we couldn't get another goal and then gave away a penalty. They equalised and the game petered out after that. Still, not complaining with four points from ur three games thus far.

League Cup

carlingcupaugust2013.png

Not a great performance against the Championship strugglers, but a controlled one. The real positives were the good performances of players who stepped into the side such as scorer of the opening goal, Jazz Richards.

In the third round we face anther Championship side; Hull City.

I know the feeling, took me 5 years.

Blimey and i thought i'd taken my time!

Great start to life at Swansea.

Thanks, though i think it could be better. September isn't going great thus far, and i'm struggling to implement the tactical system i want to use. The victory over Villa may have been a bit of a false dawn.......

Thomas Lewis' Career - September 2013 - Swansea City

Premier League

septemberplfixtures2013.png

pltableseptember2013.png

We were poor at Wolves, but credit goes to the players who came from behind twice. Against Liverpool we put in a really good performance, and had we nicked it then it would have been deserved. And in the final game of the month at QPR we got a well deserved first away win of the season. Papiss Cisse still hasn't scored, but he did assist Danny Graham's goal that gave us victory. Also that clean sheet makes it three in a row now in all competitions.

League Cup - 3rd Round

carlingcupseptember2013.png

As with the second round, not a great performance against Championship opposition, but with a changed side we got the job done. In the fourth round we travel to Wolves, and seen as it is Premier League opposition I will probably field a strong side.

Still going well in the league. Nothing to be concerned about yet. Decent signing in Bostock :thup:.

I was just getting a little worried about the run of draws and the lack of goals since the opening day of season. So far though October has served us well!

As for Bostock, i may have trouble developing him as no one is willing to tutor him, therefore i cant get his determination up.

Thomas Lewis' Career - October 2013 - Swansea City

Premier League

octoberplfixtures2013.png

octoberpltable2013.png

Well what can I say? Another couple of cleansheets kept, my big money signing getting amongst the goals at last, and a victory over the side that at the time topped the table. We started with a pretty drab 0-0 draw at home to Blackburn, but after the internatinal break we got a great win at Fulham, with Papiss Cisee grabbing his first goals for the club. We followed that with a brilliant win at home to Arsenal.

Overall we're still not quite playing the football I want, but we're getting results and I can't really complain about that!

League Cup - 4th Round

octoberleaguecupfixture.png

It doesn't look spectacular, but in a way it was. Trailing 1-0 at half time, I sent the side out with a bit of a bollocking, but we then went 2-0 behind. We hit back though to level at 2-2, and eventually take the game on penalties. As with the previus rounds, not a particularly good perofrmance, but we got the job done.

In the quarter finals we have been drawn at home to Arsenal.

Thomas Lewis' Career - November 2013 - Swansea City

Premier League

novemberplfixtures2013.png

novemberpltable2013.png

Well our amazing start to the season goes on. We started the month with a terrific win away to Birmingham where Papiss Cisse kept up his brilliant recent form with a stunning hattrick. If I thought that was good, then the win infront of the Sky camers against Manchester United was even better, and the match report said it all. After the international break we kept things up with another win and another clean sheet, this time at Wigan. The month though finished disappointingly when we lost at home to West Brom - Peter Odemwingie capitalising on a rare defensive error.

Still, we sit in sixth place after thirteen games, with the best defensive record in the league. Having said that, had we beat West Brom we would have been up in second - beyond my wildest dreams.

Brilliant month, such a pity about the West Brom result but the other results more than made up for it.

I did think that aswell. Normally I'd have been really frustrated about the loss, but to have won the other three without conceding made it less of a problem.

Archived