FM2012: The West Ham United Thread - Can we Hammer the Championship first time?

any suggestions for a left back?? im trying to sign joe mattock but the scout report said they'd want 4.6mil which i feel is a bit steep....ive also offered 1.7mil for wayne bridge but i think as soon as he tells me his wage demands ill be closing the door on him!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
any suggestions for a left back?? im trying to sign joe mattock but the scout report said they'd want 4.6mil which i feel is a bit steep....ive also offered 1.7mil for wayne bridge but i think as soon as he tells me his wage demands ill be closing the door on him!

This is where I struggled, I've trained Taylor as left back until I can get rid of Ilunga and bring in a new player.

I dont think illumga is gonna be easy to get rid of! Had bids of 1.1mil from rangers and lazio for piquionne! Got macheda on loan! Glad i did cos carew is out for 5 weeks! Trying to sign mcfadden, sol campbell and im looking at a few left backs aswell! Campbell is to cover for faye during the ACN

jeez 5.5 million for a left back with <12 for pace, marking and other essential attributes is awful... i would have bought in someone like Wome for a free in the championship and charlie mulgrew or something as backup.. bad pace but much better everything else...

shame as i really like mattock aswell.. jsut doesnt make much financial sense...

i hope he does well for you though fella... im sure he will, he's been a fave in all previous games

I didnt manage to sell Illunga, refused to go to offer clubs because he wanted better salary! So he's sitting rotting in the reserves! Due to the fact i play wing backs, this allows me to play Matty Taylor there. However, if you're looking for an experienced, cheap DL then my suggestion is Pierre Wome. Free Agent, 32 years of age and 1.8k wages p/w and more then happy to play 2nd fiddle to Taylor. Im not too keen on spending big dollars in the championship, so ill avoid the likes of Mattock etc.

PierreWomOverview_Attributes.png

After my 2 demo saves with West Ham i started fresh with the full database. Trying to implement what i had learned from the Demo's, i went straight after a few players to fit my 5-2-3 formation. Added width in the Inside forward positions and defensive cover for my back 3 and LWB positions. Also added another striker to the squad. Approaching Xmas and im currently 11 points clear, have only suffered 2 defeats and a draw! Hoping that the classy football we have been playing will hold up once the weather turns bad and the pitches start to rip up. Still constantly adding potential stars to the squad, picking up Jack Butland for 1.6m as a long term prospect. With majority of West Ham's senior players running out of contract, and losing 4 players to loan, promotion to the PL will have to mean building a new squad. I have my eye on the likes of Cathcart, Hammill etc. Players who i feel are more then capable of doing a job at PL and ensuring survival. Thats all the future though, im the mean time, back to our promotion charge! COYI!

Started my save doing okay so far couple of poor results amongst some really good results (3-1 away at leicester) only player I signed was lucas digne but have just signed harris vuckic as back up for nolan. 3rd in the league... Millwall top :mad: I dont plan on letting em stay there for long

jeez 5.5 million for a left back with <12 for pace, marking and other essential attributes is awful... i would have bought in someone like Wome for a free in the championship and charlie mulgrew or something as backup.. bad pace but much better everything else...

shame as i really like mattock aswell.. jsut doesnt make much financial sense...

i hope he does well for you though fella... im sure he will, he's been a fave in all previous games

I got him as he was on par with illunga right now and he is young with potential to be good in the premiership so ill just get him to focus training on his quickness!

Right, my games just arrived booting it up now. This is the thing with being a student trying to save every possible pound, i'm a couple of days behind. Still glad to get going, think i'm going to stick to rotating between 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1 depending who and where we're playing. Think we're gonna target McFadden and Wome on frees, probably going to send McCartney back which is a shame as I like him irl. Maynard might be the big money signing to partner Cole/Carew up top.

I am playing a 4-3-2-1. No wingers.

Piquionne - Cole

Nolan

Taylor - Noble - Collison

Ilunga - Camporese - Tomkins - Faubert

Green

I brought in Camporese in on loan, also signed Materazzi as cover on free transfer (not bad for 37 and low wages for 1 year). I have just signed Frimpong on loan so I can rotate the midfielders.

4 league games in and I am top, 4 wins (Millwall away, Leicester home, Coventry away, Bristol City home) 8 goals scored 0 conceded. Also beat Torquay in the cup 2-0 (despite having 8 players on international duty!)

Hopefully I can keep up the current form

Nice to see our thread looking active :thup:

Right lads i'm early doors but i'll post an update.

Transfers in:

Matt phillips - Blackpool, 1mil upfront + 3 mil over 48 months. (a player I reckon can perform at the top level + young and English/British will be my main focus)

Ryan Bennett - Peterbourgh, 1mil upfront + 1 and a Half Mil over 48 months.

Graham Shinnie - Inverness C, 950k ( LB, a position I struggled to strengthen. This guys young, British and commands a low wage at 3k p/w)

Macheda and Danny Wilson in on loan.

Transfers out:

Freddie Piqisnose - Palermo 950k

Linda Mac's Loan cancelled.

Overall I'm pleased enough, Bit gutted that I've kept Illunga but i'll re-assess come January! I fully expect a good contribution from Matt Phillips this year as good cover for Taylor and Bentley.

2011/2012 Season Review:

Players in:

Danny Wilson - Liverpool - Loan

Pierra Wome - Free

Hogan Ephraim - QPR - 1.2m

Glenn Loovens - Celtic - 180k

Johnny Russell - Dundee Utd - 900k

Wilfried - Vitesse - 2.5m

Shane Sutherland - Inverness CT - 875k

Jack Butland - Birmingham - 1.8m

Rafael Toloi - Goias - 2.5m

Players Out:

Jordan Brown - 20k

Peter Kurucz - 28k

Frederic Piquionne - 1.1m

Christian Montano - 50k

Sam Baldock - 975k

John Carew - 200k

Matt Fry - 65k

Glenn Loovens 250k

Future Transfers:

In:

Tom Cairney - Hull - 1.1m

Out:

Bentley (loan return)

Lansbury (loan return)

Wilson (loan return)

Faye (contract expire)

Julien Faubert (contract expire)

Diop (contract expire)

Wome (contract expire)

Stand out Performers:

Carlton Cole - 7.63 - 33(6) apps - 30 goals

Wilfried - 7.50 - 21(6) apps - 20 goals

James Tomkins - 7.47 - 37(1) apps - 6 goals

Hogan Ephraim - 7.29 - 37(3) apps - 12 goals

Recommendations:

Hogan Ephraim - picked this guy up from QPR reserves at start of season. Revelation in an inside forward position.

Rafael Toloi - potential superstar. picked him up at the end of january window.

Wilfried - 2.5m release clause. absolute superstar. Biggest recommendation.

Few Screenies:

npowerChampionshipOverview_Stages-2-1.png

WestHamUnitedTactics_Overview-1.png

WestHamUnitedTactics_Overview-2-1.png

OllyKenneyOverview_Attributes.png

Last image is a regen that entered the youth system towards the end of the season. 4.5 star potential rating. 5 others with 4 star ratings and 3 with 3.5 so quite a good youth intake. Looking forward to the off season and bringing in some talent that will ensure we avoid the drop.

aha. well i dont reckon i will go for him (wilfried) yet, as we managed to beat arsenal 2-1 in a friendly and their goal was only scored because sol campbell was the last defender and he was too slow to get back in time to make the tackle.

i got joe mattock as i feel that investing in him will mean that i have a defender who is ready for the premiership when I (hopefully) get the team promoted. im looking to sign mcfadden for left mid and so hopefully the team will be ready for the premier league.

i managed to sell piquionne for 1.1mil but have to pay 10.5k per week for the rest of his contract, which i suppose had to be done.

also sent ilunga out on loan with a future fee of 500k and 40% of his wages paid by leeds. got macheda on loan for 5 months, so he will provide a bit of a change for the strikers!

all in all i feel I have a team capable of making a good attempt to win the championship and to carry on through to a good bottom half first season in the premier league! BUT i am only in pre season, so I guess a lot could change.

WATCH THIS SPACE! :)

aha. well i dont reckon i will go for him (wilfried) yet, as we managed to beat arsenal 2-1 in a friendly and their goal was only scored because sol campbell was the last defender and he was too slow to get back in time to make the tackle.

i got joe mattock as i feel that investing in him will mean that i have a defender who is ready for the premiership when I (hopefully) get the team promoted. im looking to sign mcfadden for left mid and so hopefully the team will be ready for the premier league.

i managed to sell piquionne for 1.1mil but have to pay 10.5k per week for the rest of his contract, which i suppose had to be done.

also sent ilunga out on loan with a future fee of 500k and 40% of his wages paid by leeds. got macheda on loan for 5 months, so he will provide a bit of a change for the strikers!

all in all i feel I have a team capable of making a good attempt to win the championship and to carry on through to a good bottom half first season in the premier league! BUT i am only in pre season, so I guess a lot could change.

WATCH THIS SPACE! :)

Sounds like you've started well. Dont forget you have a few bright stars in your u18 (Dominic Vose in particular) that are worth giving a game or two.

matty 2323, in the start of your first EPL season, did you get to pick who joined the club at youth level? and what was your transfer budget like?

Was a bit shocked. Was only given a transfer kitty of 1.2m and a wage budget of 575k. With a vast majority of my first team from the season before leaving on free contracts or loans expiring, i was a little worried. However, ive managed to acquire some quality experience as well as promising youth. (including 2 gem regens! OMG!)

2012/13 Ins:

Steven Fletcher - Wolves - 2.2m

Joe Mattock - West Brom - 800k

Liam Lawrence - Portsmouth - Free

Adam Hammill - Wolves - 425k loan fee (1.2mill purchase)

Matthew Upson - free (welcome back)

Ryan Bennett - Peterborough - 1m (highly recommend)

Owen Hargreaves - free

Cuma Aydinus - Genclerbirligi (regen) - 3m

Emin Karatas - Genclerbirligi (regen) - 1m

Out:

Pablo Barrera - loan fee 750k

Faye - free

Faubert - free

Diop - free

Wome - free

O'Brien - free

Boffin - free

Nouble - 200k loan

Illunga - free

Stech - free

Nolan - 775k loan

Sears - 850k

(cant get rid of O'niel which is a pain!)

TIP: anyone experiencing LB issues i highly recommend Lee Wallace from Rangers! he joined Sunderland over me, but his stats are all class! was absolutely gutted i missed out on him! anyways, few regen pics:

EminKaratasOverview_Attributes.png

CumaAydnusOverview_Attributes.png

Just got to the end of the 1st transfer window and things are going well so far.

Nicky Maynard (£3.8 million + Peter Kurucz), Ryan Bennett (£1 million + 1 over 48 months), Pierre Wome an James McFadden all came in. Julien Faubert (£1.2 over 48) and Freddie Picquionne (850k) left. Was pretty pleased with the transfers in and out really, will maybe start looking at new contracts in the next month or so.

The results so far have been:

Coventry 0-2 WHU - Taylor, Carew

WHU 3-0 Northampton (cc) - Maynard, Tomkins, Lansbury

WHU 3-0 Crystal Palace - Taylor, Maynard x2

Millwall 0-1 WHU - Carew

WHU 2-0 Leeds - Carew, Faye

WHU 2-0 Preston (cc) - Cole, Taylor

Bristol City 0-0 WHU

Pleased with the results so far, defence has been brilliant. Last game was a little disspointing, I started quite caustiously as they were in 3rd but we were the better team by far and should have one. Needed Maynard really but he picked up a knock against Preston and is missing for a couple of weeks. I'm also still getting used to the new team talk system and have managed to upset Matty Taylor but i'm sure he'll get over it.

2012/13 Ins:

Owen Hargreaves - free

Cuma Aydinus - Genclerbirligi (regen) - 3m

Emin Karatas - Genclerbirligi (regen) - 1m

Out:

Pablo Barrera - loan fee 750k

Faye - free

Faubert - free

Diop - free

Wome - free

O'Brien - free

Boffin - free

Nouble - 200k loan

Illunga - free

Stech - free

Nolan - 775k loan

Sears - 850k

(cant get rid of O'niel which is a pain!)

OUCH!! maybe i should have waited a year to sign him! :o was he of a first team level when you bought him? and hope hargreaves doesnt get injured too much! youve got a good capture in upson there too! and liam lawrence!!

@matty2323

Just saw your Cuma Aydinus..... WOW!!! i can only hope and pray i get a regen like that!! tackling 20, jumping and heading all great, reasonable pace and passing/crossing! and all that potential in him! Karatas looks great too.

I wish i knew how you managed to get those regens! did you get to pick them to come to your youth team as was now suggested in the new features? or did they just appear?

OUCH!! maybe i should have waited a year to sign him! :o was he of a first team level when you bought him? and hope hargreaves doesnt get injured too much! youve got a good capture in upson there too! and liam lawrence!!

He was unhappy, placed in the reserves, and actually got offered to me! had scouted him at the start and got lucky, no-one else actually bid for him. Yeah, he will be my rotating LWB with another youngster as i have no experienced LB. I mainly got Hargreaves to tutor, aswell as play the anchor man role against superior teams. Upson is also tutoring, and an experienced CB amongst mainly 20-25 yr old CB's. Portsmouth got demoted from Championship so got lucky with Lawrence! Had to settle for alot of freebies and Leicester got promoted aswell and splashing the cash! over 30mill spent! and all players i wanted: Spearman, Berra, Cathcart etc.

@matty2323

Just saw your Cuma Aydinus..... WOW!!! i can only hope and pray i get a regen like that!! tackling 20, jumping and heading all great, reasonable pace and passing/crossing! and all that potential in him! Karatas looks great too.

I wish i knew how you managed to get those regens! did you get to pick them to come to your youth team as was now suggested in the new features? or did they just appear?

No, i have scouts continuously scouting and they managed to find them. purchased them on the cheap, but like brazilian kids, they cant go abroad until they are 18. so still 2 years before i get to have them. Painful, i know, but im happy to wait considering how top class they are. In that time experienced players like Upson can fill the void.

is pablo barrera any good in comparison to liam lawrence and jack collison? i cant decide if i should recall him from his loan or not...the main thing stopping me is his wages in that they are £35k i believe and are being paid in full by the team that has him on loan.....

After getting frustrated with my hammers save I drifted and tried out a few other teams before returning and starting a new West Ham save. Choosing to build the side to fit a solid 442.

Players in -

Lucas Digne - LB - 1.3m

Olexiy Gai - LB - 1.6m

James McFadden - ML - Free

Jamie Murphy - ST -1.3m

Wilfried - ST -2.5m

Gregory Cerdan - CB - Free

Players Out -

Freddy Piquionne - 925k (have to pay 4k per week of his weeks which was an improvement of the usual 10k)

Marek Stech - 50k

Peter Kurucz - 30k

(best till last) Hertia Ilunga - 275k (Ipswich took him, which was a great relief, need to pay him 4k a week)

Results - so far

West Ham 4-1 Hull

West Ham 4-0 Barnet

Blackpool 0-0 West Ham

West Ham 3-1 Boro

Pompey 1-0 West Ham

Peterborough 0-1 West Ham

West Ham 7-0 Watford

Southampton 0-2 West Ham

West Ham 3-2 Burnley

Bolton 0-1 West Ham

Liecester 1-0 West Ham

West Ham 3-2 Crystal Palace

Made a decent start. 2nd in the league but confident of winning it. Cole & Noble both got ruled out for 4 months which is a blow. Carew, Wilfried & Murphy have been amazing up front, with left back gone from a trouble position to a strong point in the team, with a more than capable bargin buy from Shatkar and a hot young prospect with massive potential. Tomkins has been perfect at the back. will post an update and screenshots at the end of the season. Good to see everyone seems to be doing well with the mighty Irons :)

i have now put a 2.5mil offer for wilfried. that was accepted. offered contract and just waiting to hear back. sent nouble on loan to swindon. sears is out for 2 months. quite proud of my team. macheda is doing well. i was set to "professional" when i started the game. i saw in the match prep screen that carlton cole is finding it hard to motivate himself playing for me because of this.....my heart sank when i saw that as i thought i may have to sell. what do you guys reckon? i cant hold a team meeting yet, so cant resolve it that way, and cant do it in a one to one with him. my reputation is national. i can only hope that when we get promoted, my rep increases and he becomes more motivated, but i dont want to wait that long as it may be too late.... :-S

First game of the new season, and the PL decided to reward my return with an away fixture against Spurs! Considering they had splashed 85m on transfers in the off season, i wasn't too confident. However, the boys got up for the Derby, and well ill let the screenie speak for itself! COYI!!!:cool:

TottenhamvWestHamSplitView.png

Ok, so the transfer period has officially ended. The main focus was bringing it experience and youth who have applied their trade in the UK. Complete Transfer ins:

Owen Hargreaves - free

Gareth Barry - loan (1.6m buyout)

Darren Gibson - free

Overall i think theres some solid additions, with Barry, Hargreaves, Gibson, Upson, Lawrence and Fletcher all bringing PL experience. Mattock, Hammill, Bennett and Cairney are all promising youngsters capable of taking the step into first team football. Also, dont know about anyone else, but i had 4-5 absolute potential superstars injected into my youth academy, all with 5 star ratings. Teams like Liverpool, United etc have been offering upto 8m for my 15 year old striker!

Season has started well; Away win over Spurs 2-1, 1-0 home win over Newcastle and a 2-2 away draw with Sunderland. Also progressed in the cup.

Matty2323, seems you are flying faster than the rest of us! :-P I am still in pre-season of the first season! got about 3 friendlies left to play before the championship kicks off! but good to see that it IS possible to gain promotion! i'd settle for 2nd place, just as long as i get promoted! just a shame that the prize money for first and second place is only in the tens of thousands!

Beginning of Feburary and I'm 1st in the league by goal difference, with 3pts separating 1st and 6th place. Hampered by injuries, with Wilfired out for 6 months, Cole & Noble are finally both fit. Carew has signed a pre contract with Napoli and isn't interested on the field anymore. Tompkins, Faubert & Collison star players. Sold Dioup for 100k and now have O'Brien, Baldock, Sears & O'Neil on the transfer list, unable to offload them during January. Got to the League Cup quarters putting out Bolton and Stoke before losing to Wolves away, and lost to Stoke away FA Cup 3rd round. Worried for next season as I'll have a small squad and am currently making a 3m odd loss every month so doubt I'll be able to spend much to strengthen it.

In the middle of My 2nd Season with West Ham.

My First Season Saw me get rid Faubert, Piquionne and some Reservces to begin with. I dived into the transfer market, getting Fredrico Macheda from Man Utd and Frimpong From Arsenal On loan. I also went onto the option of Wilfried, but could only get him on loan.

I played a 4-5-1 Away from Home, 4-4-2 at home.

My team looked like this for away games

Green

Demel Faye Tomkins Illunga

Diop

Nolan/Lansbury Colliosn/Noble

Bentley Taylor

Cole/Wilfried

At home it was

Green

Demel Faye Tomkins Illunga

Bentley Nolan/Collison Noble/Diop Lansbury

Cole/Wilfried Macheda/Carew

I finished the Season top with a record of 110 points. As previous Posters, i have had the problem of losing half of an ageing team.

2nd Season Next post.

To Start my 2nd season, i relised i needed to get in a centre back to replace the departing Faye. I used 11 million of my 16 millions transfer budget on Ryan Shawcross, who has been a revelation, scoring several goals so far.

I managed to get Gago on loan from Real, and Sully Muntari on a free aswell. I also brought Joe Cole in from Liverpool on a free transfer.

My strike options were thin, with Macheda and wilfried going back to there respective clubs. With lack of funds, i managed to get Gignac on loan, who has hit 8 goals in 15 appearances. Carlton Cole has been injured for 4 months.

Im just starting January, where i am currently 5th in the league. I originally put my expectations to Aviod Relagation, but will hopefully be changing this, so i can get another striker and Defender in.

My Team this year is 4-2-3-1

Green

Demel Tomkins Shawcross Spence( a revelation)

Any 2 of Noble/Gago/Muntari

Collison Nolan Taylor

Gignac

I use Joe Cole in any of the attacking positions.

I managed to get Emre Can from Bayern and Vitaly Kondaurov on a free, to bolster my Youth team, as both look exciting products,and with having a weak reserve 11, have got several games so far this season.

just finished pre-season of the first season....and i managed to sign wilfried for 2.5 million, which is excellent timing as i only have macheda and cole available as the others are injured! just hope he fits in well! :-S

just finished pre-season of the first season....and i managed to sign wilfried for 2.5 million, which is excellent timing as i only have macheda and cole available as the others are injured! just hope he fits in well! :-S

Goals and assists are garenteed he is a revelation in Championship if you play him as a poacher. His season for me has been ruined by injury though :(

10 games left and despite only dropping 2 points at home all season I'm only 7 points clear at the top. My away form is a worry for me. James Tompkins is having an incredible season, anyone any Premier league reccomendations for a partner for him at the back?

10 games left and despite only dropping 2 points at home all season I'm only 7 points clear at the top. My away form is a worry for me. James Tompkins is having an incredible season, anyone any Premier league reccomendations for a partner for him at the back?

If you are looking to Spend Money, i have Shawcross to be a good partner with him once you get promoted.

Just got my youth candidates in and amongst them is 8 players who will progress to become leading Premiership players. Unbelievable!

yeah, i had something like that. bout time they made it realistic, West Ham has produced half the players playing at top clubs! lol. In terms of CB partners for Tomkins, i only got given a 1.2m transfer kitty (cant beleive the other bloke got 16m!!!!) so i went with a few free signings. Picked Matty Upson back up and also highly recommend Craig Cathcart (went to villa instead of me for 2m).

First season back in the PL and we've been a revelation;

EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages.png

Currently sitting 3rd. Some solid results include away wins over Tottenham, Liverpool and home victories over Man Utd and Chelski! Currently hit some real bad form, having won in my last 5. 3 draws and 2 defeats. Conceded late goals in every game, including 3 in 3 minutes to lose 3-2 to Villa! 88th, 91st and 92nd! crap! haha.

Just about to start my second season in the prem.. Got quite lucky and got Adam johnson for 4.8m from city (only wanted 25k pw) Adebayor (had to pay 50% wages) loan and got Pedro from Barca for 4m loan fee and 50% wages! i think its going to be a good year for the Hammers

Archived