Sacre bleu! It's the Ligue Une 08/09 thread! featuring much Lyon dominance

Orzelek

Originally posted by Meitheisman:

And with Aulas in that form they should win it in 08/09 and 09/10 quite easily too, can they make it 10 in a row? icon_biggrin.gif

Nah, they'll be stopped by PSG icon_wink.gif

But seriously, they are in a league of their own compared to the rest of the French clubs icon_frown.gif. I think it's crap, and not that I don't like Lyon, but I remeber how class Ligue Une was before Lyon's dominance started. Nobody knew what team would win the league and we had suprise champions like Lens, Bordeaux or Nantes

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this thread needs upping to have a good old laugh at psg icon_biggrin.gif

no wins, 4 points and 6 goals from 9 home games and in the relegation zone icon_biggrin.gif. and please may they stay there.

and please may marseille join them again soon in it icon14.gif.

and saw that nancy lost yesterday as well icon_frown.gif. looking at the teams closest to lyon, there is simply no way they can't win the title again.

Müller resigned to missing finals

Switzerland central defender Patrick Müller looks set to miss UEFA EURO 2008™ and the rest of the season with Olympique Lyonnais' with a serious knee injury.

Serious injury

The 30-year-old left the pitch 40 minutes into a reserve team game at the weekend with scans revealing a complete rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. A statement from the French champions said: "The player will undergo surgery by the end of the week. His will not be available again for six months."

'A 0.00001 per cent chance'

The 76-times capped international is resigned to missing UEFA EURO 2008â„¢ in his home country, saying: "I have written off this competition. I'm out for six months - it starts in early June. I have a 0.00001 per cent chance of being ready. I'd so much have loved to be able to play in front of my home crowd." Switzerland will kick off UEFA EURO 2008â„¢ against the Czech Republic in Basel on 7 June 2008. They will then face Turkey on 11 June and Portugal four days later, also at St. Jakob-Park.

Earlier injury

Müller played in only two competitive games this season before club medical staff detected a problem with his right knee, but the former FC Basel 1893, RCD Mallorca, Grasshopper-Club and Servette FC defender seemed to be on the road to recovery prior to the new setback. To add to his anxieties, his contract with Lyon is set to expire in June. Without him, the French side need a win against Rangers FC on Matchday 6 to progress to the UEFA Champions League Round of 16. If the Ligue 1 leaders fail, they will move on to the UEFA Cup Round of 32 in the new year.

Unlucky icon_frown.gif

And ghostwriter-PSG has been crap in years now, nothing new

Originally posted by Orzelek:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meitheisman:

And with Aulas in that form they should win it in 08/09 and 09/10 quite easily too, can they make it 10 in a row? icon_biggrin.gif

Nah, they'll be stopped by PSG icon_wink.gif

But seriously, they are in a league of their own compared to the rest of the French clubs icon_frown.gif. I think it's crap, and not that I don't like Lyon, but I remeber how class Ligue Une was before Lyon's dominance started. Nobody knew what team would win the league and we had suprise champions like Lens, Bordeaux or Nantes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah because virtually every team in the league was crap so it was impossible to predict which one would suck less. It's the same fight for second place now tbf. Nancy 2nd, who would have predicted that?

Originally posted by ghostwriter:

this thread needs upping to have a good old laugh at psg icon_biggrin.gif

no wins, 4 points and 6 goals from 9 home games and in the relegation zone icon_biggrin.gif. and please may they stay there.

and please may marseille join them again soon in it icon14.gif.

and saw that nancy lost yesterday as well icon_frown.gif. looking at the teams closest to lyon, there is simply no way they can't win the title again.

I wouldn't want either PSG or OM relegated, the League 1 is already poor enough, we don't need the big teams to go down.

• Administrators

tbf the league needs a strong PSG and Marseille, Lyon about to run away with it again without Cris and Coupet and their youngsters and depth has them looking at a very realistic ten titles in a row, especially as the competition is horrendous right now.

Would love Le Mans and Nancy to make a right go of a CL chase though, Nancy are a really lovely team to watch and a nice story as well.

Originally posted by Satan, look at my pert arse!:

Rennes on a bad run of form now. Haven't won in any competition since October, last 7 matches in all comps have been losses, apart from the one UEFA draw, and lost their last 4 Ligue matches. FS. Dropping down the table now. Really need to beat Strasbourg next, who affffffc.

Rennes also conceded 3 goals in most of their last games... something's definitely wrong out there but they should be able to beat Strasbourg as they are absolute crap and lost 5-0 this past WE to Lyon.

Sochaux hand Hantz his cards

FC Sochaux-Montbéliard have dismissed coach Frédéric Hantz after a series of poor results left the French Cup holders second from bottom of Ligue 1.

Temporary appointment

The 41-year-old Hantz joined Sochaux last summer after a successful spell at Le Mans UC 72. Assistant coach Jean-Luc Ruty will now take the reins until the winter break, between 23 December and 5 January, as the club seek a permanent replacement. Sochaux are the third French side to change coach this season following Olympique de Marseille, who brought in Erik Gerets to replace Albert Emon, and RC Lens, where Jean-Pierre Papin replaced Guy Roux. Sochaux bowed out of the UEFA Cup in the first round with a defeat against Panionios GSS.

Sochaux has been very disappointing this season, so I'm not suprised

Lacombe in for Dréossi at Rennes

Guy Lacombe has replaced Pierre Dréossi as coach of Stade Rennais FC as the Brittany team look to reverse a dramatic slump in form.

Losing run

Rennes have turned to Lacombe after losing six successive Ligue 1 games, dropping from third to 13th in the process. Their latest defeat came 2-1 at home to SM Caen on Saturday and prompted the club to take swift action. "In agreement with the shareholders of Stade Rennais FC, general manager Pierre Dréossi has suggested to president Frédéric de Saint-Sernin that Guy Lacombe should be appointed coach to revive the team's fortunes," the club stated on Monday evening. Dréossi had been working as both coach and general manager and will retain the latter role.

Lacombe experience

Lacombe is back on a bench for the first time since being dismissed by Paris Saint-Germain FC eleven months ago. A French League Cup winner with FC Sochaux-Montbéliard, the 52-year-old former striker has coached 293 top-flight matches in France with AS Cannes, Toulouse FC and EA Guingamp as well as PSG and Sochaux. Rennes are bottom of UEFA Cup Group D and must beat NK Dinamo Zagreb by a three-goal margin to finish third and progress from the section.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Pedro Beda scores 1-2 for Mengão. The 3-2 is coming.

Wrong thread... icon_biggrin.gif

As I am here, it seems Fred is closer to PSG than to the English teams. At least, this is what the media said here.

Originally posted by PMLF:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pedro Beda scores 1-2 for Mengão. The 3-2 is coming.

Wrong thread... icon_biggrin.gif

As I am here, it seems Fred is closer to PSG than to the English teams. At least, this is what the media said here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's also what I've heard. Don't know what he wants in Paris though. Maybe Ronaldinho has told him the nightlife was good there?

• 1 month later...
Bordeaux bask in record-breaking night

Goalscorer Johan Micoud looked back on a "a great night" after FC Girondins de Bordeaux's 6-0 win at AS Monaco FC etched a new mark into the club's record book and kept them in contention for the Ligue 1 title.

Goal rush

After Olympique Lyonnais went down 1-0 at Le Mans UC 72, Bordeaux knew a win at Monaco would move them to within one point of the leaders. On 51 minutes the game was still level, but then in-form Fernando Cavenaghi opened the scoring and later claimed his eighth goal in six games. Playmaker Micoud also chipped in with a double and Marouane Chamakh and Gabriel Obertan were also on target against a Monaco team reduced to ten men when Diego Pérez was sent off with his team 3-0 down.

Records tumble

It was Bordeaux's biggest ever away league win, not to mention Monaco's record home top-flight defeat, and the first time in 50 years that a Ligue 1 team has scored six second-half goals. "I would never have guessed that was going to happen at half-time," said Ricardo, who left Bordeaux to coach Monaco in the summer. "I don't know what happened to my players. They suddenly looked like they were playing in the dark."

Delight

Micoud, who struck his 50th Ligue 1 goal, naturally had a different view. "It was a great night," he said. "We felt we would score every time we had a chance." Bordeaux coach Laurent Blanc, who had bemoaned his team's lack of a cutting edge in their 2-1 UEFA Cup defeat at RSC Anderlecht on Thursday, said: "Hopefully it will impress our opponents. It's funny because I said to my players after the Anderlecht game that they were not efficient enough. Their response gives me total satisfaction."

Caution

After the visit of Anderlecht on Thursday, Blanc has another big game on the horizon - the trip to Lyon on 8 March. However, for now he is keeping calm. "I won't say that we want the title," he said. "Just that the further we go clear of the teams behind us, the more chance we have of catching the leaders."

icon_cool.gif

Would love to see them win the league

Niang commits to Marseille cause

Olympique de Marseille striker Mamadou Niang has signed an extended contract to commit to the UEFA Cup contenders until June 2012.

Fresh terms

Niang's previous deal at the Stade Vélodrome was due to expire in 2009, but both parties were happy to prolong the 28-year-old's stay with the Ligue 1 club for another three years. Niang scored twice in six UEFA Champions League group-stage appearances and was also on target in last week's 3-0 first-leg defeat of FC Spartak Moskva in the UEFA Cup Round of 32. The Senegalese international has also been in fine form domestically, sitting second in the Ligue 1 scoring chart with 12 goals, the latest of which came at the weekend against Paris Saint-Germain FC.

Caution

After the visit of Anderlecht on Thursday, Blanc has another big game on the horizon - the trip to Lyon on 8 March. However, for now he is keeping calm. "I won't say that we want the title," he said. "Just that the further we go clear of the teams behind us, the more chance we have of catching the leaders."

And he's playing mind-games... wp Laurent Blanc although I'd of course rather see Bordeaux finish 2nd.

• Administrators

Who would like to bask in some reflected Benzema glory? More and more of Europe are gonna start recognising what followers of L1 have seen for the last 18 months/2 years or so. Unfortunately for Lyon, basically leaves them no chance of keeping him in the summer. £20m absolute minimum though I feel.

So then, an update. Starting with the table and leading scorers.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Team P W D L F A GD Pt

1 Olympique Lyonnais 25 15 4 6 48 24 24 49

---------------------------------------------------

2 Girondins de Bordeaux 25 14 6 5 43 26 17 48

3 AS Nancy Lorraine 25 10 11 4 27 17 10 41

4 Olympique Marseille 25 10 8 7 35 27 8 38

5 Nice 25 9 11 5 23 18 5 38

6 Le Mans 25 11 4 10 30 33 -3 37

7 Lorient 25 9 9 7 23 25 -2 36

8 Valenciennes 25 10 5 10 31 25 6 35

9 AS Monaco 25 10 5 10 28 27 1 35

10 Caen 25 9 8 8 27 31 -4 35

11 RC Strasbourg 25 8 8 9 26 25 1 32

12 Saint Etienne 25 9 5 11 27 27 0 32

13 AJ Auxerre 25 9 5 11 22 32 -10 32

14 Lille 24 6 13 5 26 22 4 31

15 RC Lens 24 8 7 9 27 28 -1 31

16 Paris S.G. 25 7 9 9 23 23 0 30

17 Stade Rennais 25 8 6 11 25 33 -8 30

18 Toulouse 25 6 9 10 23 30 -7 27

19 Sochaux 25 5 9 11 21 32 -11 24

20 FC Metz 25 2 6 17 14 44 -30 12

</pre>

Top Scorers

16 Karim Benzema

12 Mamadou Niang

10 David Bellion

10 Tulio de Melo

10 Johan Elmander

9 Daniel Niculae

9 Djibril Cisse

9 Bafetimbi Gomis

8 Fernando Cavenaghi

8 Rafik Saïfi

8 Bakary Kone

8 Steve Savidan

Right now it's entirely about Bordeaux. They're absolutely flying and playing glorious stuff, last weekend they went to Monaco, 0-0 at half time, and won 6-0. A red card for Monaco helped but they just mauled them with sensational football. Micoud, Wendel, and Obertan pulling the strings, Bellion and especially Cavenaghi scoring. The latter has 8 league goals, all since the return from the winter break. Watch the fun here

• Administrators

Last few years, yeah, because Lyon have been miles out ahead at the top but then save one or two teams who can challenge for CL and one or two who will be blatant relegation fodder, you've got 15 teams who are all pretty similar in terms of beating eachother, and they do. Makes it a bit interesting, even if at the end of the day the likes of Nancy and Nice will slip out of the reckoning and the established order like Marseille and Monaco will snap those spots up.

Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Is there anyway to see any Ligue Une games (or lower) if I don't have Sky etc.

Been "following" Paris FC (yes FC, not PSG) for a few years, but "following" is basically just checking their website every few days icon_frown.gif

I doubt you'll be able to follow Paris FC from outside of France tbh. It's already pretty hard to catch Lyon abroad, let alone lower division teams but if you do find something please let me know.

Oh and great summary of these past few seasons Philip Rolfe icon14.gif

Originally posted by Eddie Boop:

is Le Guen still at PSG? Was really impressed by them at the Emirates tournament in the summer, surprised they've done so badly.

Yes, he's still in charge and PSG looks quite good away from home (I think they're leading the league in away games) so I'm not surprised you were impressed by them at the Emirates. Too much pressure in the city of lights apparently.

Bordeaux was impressive today winning 3-0 against PSG to remain 3pts behind Lyon.

I don't know if I'm more worried about playing at Old Trafford on Tuesday (and most likely getting kicked out of the CL) or next week-end's home league match against Bordeaux. It'll be a very important week for Lyon's season.

And we have had a record for Ligue Une:

Record crowd sees Lyon triumph

A record Ligue 1 crowd of 77,850 watched Olympique Lyonnais stretch their lead to six points with a 1-0 win against LOSC Lille Métropole at Stade de France.

Fred winner

Lille were staging the game at the national stadium to mark its tenth anniversary and the crowd was more than 20,000 greater than the previous league best for Lyon's 2005 visit to Olympique de Marseille. With second-placed FC Girondins de Bordeaux not in action until Sunday at home to Paris Saint-Germain FC, Lyon had the chance to double their advantage as well as boost morale ahead of the midweek UEFA Champions League trip to Manchester United FC. And a goal from Fred on 32 minutes ensured they did just that, although Patrick Kluivert did hit the crossbar for Lille just before the hour mark.

OM rise

AS Nancy-Lorraine in third are now ten points behind Lyon after being held 0-0 at FC Lorient. That allowed Marseille to move to within three points of Nancy thanks to a 2-1 win against AJ Auxerre with early goals from Lorik Cana and Djibril Cissé decisive, and the result also took OM into fourth place as Le Mans UC 72 lost 1-0 at home to RC Strasbourg, Wason Renteria claiming the winner in the 22nd minute. OGC Nice will attempt to overtake Le Mans themselves when they face AS Saint-Etienne on Sunday.

Metz victory

Strasbourg climbed four places to eleventh with their result, but only one other side in the bottom half won. They were basement team FC Metz, who defeated SM Caen 2-1. They are now 13 points adrift of FC Sochaux-Montbéliard, who drew 0-0 with Stade Rennais FC. Toulouse FC remain in the bottom three following a 1-1 result at RC Lens, who like Lille are three points clear of the drop zone, and one ahead of PSG. In Saturday's other game, AS Monaco FC held on to seventh position after a 0-0 draw with Valenciennes FC.

• 3 weeks later...

Up by 9pts after this WE's 4-2 home win to Paris and Bordeaux's 3-1 loss at Valencienne. Marseille also lost while Nancy won and are now 6pts clear of Marseille for the last CL spot. Oh and let's not forget PSG are now 18th and need points more than ever, the League 1 without PSG would be really sad.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Club Pts J G N P BP BC Diff

1 Lyon 64 30 20 4 6 62 28 34

2 Bordeaux 55 30 16 7 7 52 33 19

------------------------------------------

3 Nancy 52 30 13 13 4 34 20 14

4 Marseille 46 30 12 10 8 42 32 10

5 Nice 43 30 10 13 7 27 23 4

6 Le Mans 43 30 12 7 11 34 37 -3

7 Lille 42 30 9 15 6 34 24 10

8 Lorient 42 30 10 12 8 26 29 -3

9 Valenciennes 41 30 11 8 11 36 29 7

10 Rennes 41 30 11 8 11 33 35 -2

11 Saint-Etienne 40 30 11 7 12 33 31 2

12 Caen 39 30 10 9 11 33 42 -9

13 Monaco 37 30 10 7 13 30 37 -7

14 Auxerre 37 30 10 7 13 27 39 -12

15 Strasbourg 35 30 9 8 13 29 34 -5

16 Sochaux 35 30 8 11 11 27 34 -7

17 Lens 34 30 8 10 12 34 39 -5

-----------------------------------------

18 Paris-SG 32 30 7 11 12 27 34 -7

19 Toulouse 31 30 6 13 11 26 34 -8

20 Metz 18 30 4 6 20 21 53 -32

</pre>

Originally posted by Meitheisman:

Why the hate on Strasbourg?

I don't care for Metz but I'm pretty happy about Toulouse going down, the way they qualified for the CL preliminary round last year ****ed me off too much.

I'd also would like Toulouse to go down, never like them. And hopefully either Lens or Sochaux gets the last relegation spot then

Archived