2 tactics to conquer your league and CL on 8.0.2 (4-4-2 and Counter)

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello there

Could you just clarify one thing for me.. in your original post where you mentioned the conditions, can you explain the odds bit in the 442 tactic, when should you play them and when shouldnt you

unless ive read it wrong you say between 1.8 and 4.5, but then in (2) it says play counter between 2.2 and 2.7 ?

Thanks- I need all the help i can get!

Originally posted by Jimmy1966:

Hello there

Could you just clarify one thing for me.. in your original post where you mentioned the conditions, can you explain the odds bit in the 442 tactic, when should you play them and when shouldnt you

unless ive read it wrong you say between 1.8 and 4.5, but then in (2) it says play counter between 2.2 and 2.7 ?

No i mean NOT between 1.8 and 4.5 but like for example 1.8 TO 4.5 for you to beat the opp. So if you are clear favourites, play 4-4-2. But slight favourites like 2.2 TO 2.7 , dont risk it, use Counter. The aim here is to finish a season unbeaten, as high as possible and win the CL.

I have to mention that I have spent three years developing a squad and I do believe that you have to have the right players in this game and not every team will be successful with these tactics without good players. I fully believe that if I had a better GK I would have won the race for 3rd place which I have to mention involved 3 teams and went to the last game of the season.

got to agree with this... i'm managing hamilton in scottish div 1 and i think i have a good starting 11 at this level.. this was borne out by us being 5 points clear after 21 games.. but then we started getting some injuries - 6 of our lads went down with broken bones!!! - and so i had to reach into the depths of my squad..

the 5 point lead has gone and now we're only on top on goal difference with 8 games to go.. i now have a few players coming back so i hope we can kick on..

but like GRANTOMAC says, its down to your players... if the players aint good enough, the tactics wont work, but if they are, then you're ok!!

This tactic is awesome,I have won 3 consecutive Premierships and UCL with my Liverpool team but I do have one question. Because of the fact that I have 3 top class strikers I tend to use the 4-4-2 tactic quite often, which is good, the only problem is that due to the nature of the tactic, I keep conceding goals...Can you give me any tips on how to tweak that formation in order to stop conceding so many goals ? Thanks.icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by polat_dgn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimmy1966:

Hello there

No i mean NOT between 1.8 and 4.5 but like for example 1.8 TO 4.5 for you to beat the opp. So if you are clear favourites, play 4-4-2. But slight favourites like 2.2 TO 2.7 , dont risk it, use Counter. The aim here is to finish a season unbeaten, as high as possible and win the CL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for clarifying that for me - tactic working so far! Not used to the decimal odds.

Is there a simple way i can get the players in order in the formation mate - my striker wears the no.3 shirt - just to make it quicker to see how they are doing.

Thanks for your reply icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Jimmy1966:

Thanks for clarifying that for me - tactic working so far! Not used to the decimal odds.

Is there a simple way i can get the players in order in the formation mate - my striker wears the no.3 shirt - just to make it quicker to see how they are doing.

Thanks for your reply icon_smile.gif

to be honest, i dont know mate, But i think someone had asked something like this and another had answered somewhere in this thread..

Polat

I'm having a problem with this tactic. I'm playing as Newcastle. 1 week we played Liverpool at home so I used the 442 (I always use it at home) and applied the opposition instructions you suggested earlier in the thread (to the two strikers and tgheir key man= Gerrard) and we stuffed them 5 nil!

The next week we play Bolton away. I used the Counter tactic and again aplied opp instructions to their two strikers and their key man (Kevin Nolan). They stuffed me 3 nil!

Did I do anything wrong as my team never looked like winning this one and I used counter

1. Becuae we were away

2. because the game classed the teams as more or less even

Can you suggest anything? The same thing happened to me away to Reading.

Against the big 4 always play the 4-5-1. Do u watch the game if u do is the ball being delieverd to your lone striker? if it isnt then look at the MR and ML players also when u play the 4-5-1 tactic are you playing the players in the correct posistion ie the creative player in the right side of the MC

Good post, I'll give it a try

wiht my champions league winning team Salernitana (i'm in season 33 at the moment)

33 years the manager of Salernitana, from serie c to serie A

I'll give you the results.

results:

Away Draw 2-2 friendly (dordtmund)

Away Lose 2-4 friendly (Bayern) red for me in the 20 th minute

Home Win 6-0 friendly (salernitana B)

Home Draw 3-3 Serie A

Away Win 1-2 Cup

Away Draw 1-1 Serie A

Away Win 3-2 Cup

Home Win 5-3 Serie A

Home Win 4-0 Cup

Away Lose 3-4 Serie A

Home Win 4-1 Serie A

Away Lose 3-4 Serie A

decent tactic.

thanks icon14.gif

As Newcastle I managed to create a very strong squad at the start of the game after buying Matis Fernandez, Rafael Van Der Vaart, Lucho Gonzalez Shaun Wright Phillips, Vincent Kompamy and Felipe. It looks like this (442 version) :-

-----------Martins----Owen-------

---------------------------------

Fernandez --Gonzalez -- VDC---SWP

Enrique---Felipe----Kompany--Beye

----------------Given------------

In the Counter version I use Abdoulaye Faye (sp) as my DMC and play only Owen up front.

Therefore I think my team should be considered better than the likes of Bolton even when playing away.

Would it be a good approach to play the 442 version against teams that are more or less level but apply the opposition instructions to their strikers and key man to keep it tight and only play the counter against the top 6 away (Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Everton)?

Originally posted by CREW:

As Newcastle I managed to create a very strong squad at the start of the game after buying Matis Fernandez, Rafael Van Der Vaart, Lucho Gonzalez Shaun Wright Phillips, Vincent Kompamy and Felipe. It looks like this (442 version) :-

-----------Martins----Owen-------

Fernandez --Gonzalez -- VDC---SWP

Enrique---Felipe----Kompany--Beye

----------------Given------------

In the Counter version I use Abdoulaye Faye (sp) as my DMC and play only Owen up front.

Therefore I think my team should be considered better than the likes of Bolton even when playing away.

Would it be a good approach to play the 442 version against teams that are more or less level but apply the opposition instructions to their strikers and key man to keep it tight and only play the counter against the top 6 away (Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Everton)?

Yeah mate i think that approach seems good because i see you have a pretty solid team and definitely it will reflect into the odds so go for it.

If anybody needs convincing about these tactics, then here you are!!

Just finished my league season with hamilton in Scottish Division 1...

I used the tactics exactly as polat_dgn said in his first post, changing the Opposition Instructions as described throughout this thread and the results I've had have been nothing short of incredible...

We've won the league and so promotion to the premier league - we needed a draw at home in the last game of the season, went 3-1 down after 70 minutes because of poor team selection on my behalf and after i changed it, we scored 6 in the last 20 minutes to win 7-4 (they got it back to 4-4 immediately after they went 4-2-4 and before my changes went through)

We won the League Challenge Cup

We are in the Scottish Cup Final against Celtic beating 2 Premier Division sides en route..

Since Celtic have won the Premier Division, we've qualified for Europe!!!

My reserves and under-19s use the same tactics (my Ass Man looks after these teams) and they've had great success as well..

Reserves won their league with 2 games left and the U-19s won their league by 15 points and they also won the U-19 Cup...

So like i say, if you're unsure about these tactics, then hopefully this will convince you!!

Cheers very much polat_dgn!!!!

Great tactics! The best I have tried so far. And if you combine polats tactics with Loversleapers excellent tips in this thread link

(the 7th reply) you will get the knowledge how to use polats tactics to its very best.

KUTGW icon14.gif

just tried this tactic with my birmingham side(second season)lost both games away from home.lost 3-2 to arsenal in the league cup and 1-0 to paok in the uefa cup.i have a good squad containing the likes of briand,gignac,asharvin,robert,cabanas,diarra,mathieu,zarate,bellaid,pasenen,fellaini,muamba,samba,coman,arango and itandje and walcott on loan what would you say it best line up for this tactic beacause i just cant win at the moment

Originally posted by artspraken:

I have tried most tactics on si forums.

This is the best tactic so far.

Many thanks.

With your tactic, I bought all the raw young players and won La Liga with a team that had an average age of 21. Hee hee hee.

Yeah mate you reminded me my Palermo days winning SeriaA with players like Kamil Grosicki, Issiar Dia, Briand on patch 8.0.1. icon_smile.gif i had used only Counter tactics on that game with Amauri lone striker upfront. What days they were.. i think Counter was much more effective in 8.0.1, it could win the matches alone without a need for another tactics.

hi

im loving these tatic sets , mainly using the 4-5-1 with arsenal my question is i have rosicky and fabregas in the centre who should i put on the more creative right slot?

when rosicky is on the left wing i use diaby in the middle :

should it be like this:

rvp----rosicky----fabregas----hleb

or

rvp----fabregas---rosicky-----hleb

when diaby is in the middle i obviously use fabregas or rosicky on the right centre

cheers

Originally posted by gunnermitch:

hi

im loving these tatic sets , mainly using the 4-5-1 with arsenal my question is i have rosicky and fabregas in the centre who should i put on the more creative right slot?

should it be like this:

or

when diaby is in the middle i obviously use fabregas or rosicky on the right centre

cheers

Fabregas is created for that position mate icon_smile.gif

I am quite often the underdog so use the counter tactics alot.. i find i always concede late goals when i have taken the lead to end a draw, any suggestions?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but theres alot to read on this topic and im lazy icon_wink.gif

And also btw very nice tactics, its got me scoring anyway! Wahay!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnermitch:

hi

should it be like this:

or

cheers

Fabregas is created for that position mate icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok thanks, im only asking because fabregas is yet to score for me in that position after 24 games, and ive played rosicky in both the left and right centre places and he has scored 7 goals so far for me ib the first season????

@ gunnermitch

Its not all about scoring its what he can do for the teams if he lays the ball off to an open striker or an open player

@ Alexove

When you concede is the AI playing 4-2-4 ? if so in the OI menu close down and tight mark and hard tackle the 4 strikers and MC's

HELP ME POLAT.... icon_frown.gif

I found your tactics here and read the replies and I thought I finally found the right

tactics for my poor Sunderland team.

I read very carefully everything you've written in the first post and applied it.

The first game against Chelski was amazing! I won it 5:2!!! I couldn't believe it!

The next one against Arsenal I managed to draw which was great for me.

But from then on, nothing worked... I have managed to pull surprising victory over Liverpool

but that was it....

I can't understand why I'm losing to weaker teams. I would rather get hammered by the top

teams but win or even draw against all the others...

Here's a screenshot of the last 8 games:

my.php?image=sunderlandep3.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by olina100:

Oh man that's so annoying with the pictures not displaying...but at least let me delete the posts!!

anyway, Polat, you can view the picture here: Sunderland Picture

Thats interesting, mate. i will tell you two more things, i hope these will help you .

First: Use opposition instructions.

Apply "tight marking", "close down" and "hard tackling" with the "always" setting to your opponents' strikers and to their key man (if they have, like Kaka, Fabregas, Cristiano Ronaldo etc). Doing this will more reduce the goals you concede.

Second: Team Talks:

Before match: For the fans

After first half---

if you are losing: Team's pride is at stake or expect better performance

if you are winning: Pleased

if draw: You expect them to win the match (of course not against strong teams like ManU,Liverpool etc icon_biggrin.gif )

After the match:

if you had lost: Dissapointed

if won: Pleased

if draw: (unless you were underdogs, dissapointed )

i hope these help..

Thats interesting, mate. i will tell you two more things, i hope these will help you .

First: Use opposition instructions.

Apply "tight marking", "close down" and "hard tackling" with the "always" setting to your opponents' strikers and to their key man (if they have, like Kaka, Fabregas, Cristiano Ronaldo etc). Doing this will more reduce the goals you concede.

Second: Team Talks:

Before match: For the fans

After first half---

if you are losing: Team's pride is at stake or expect better performance

if you are winning: Pleased

if draw: You expect them to win the match (of course not against strong teams like ManU,Liverpool etc icon_biggrin.gif )

After the match:

if you had lost: Dissapointed

if won: Pleased

if draw: (unless you were underdogs, dissapointed )

i hope these help..

Well, I already tried OI. I told to always mark tightly and hard tackle the best players of the other team

and about the team talks, I do almost exactly as you described...

The thing is that I lose away games almost all the time but at home it's strange because sometimes I lose

and sometimes I win by 5 goals.... I just had 7:2 win over blackburn but lost the next 2...

Maybe Sunderland is too weak for these tactics to work... icon_rolleyes.gif

polat

What should I do when playing against Man Utd away as Newcastle? I will obviously apply opposition instructions to their strikers Rooney, Tevez or Saha but I'm confused about the key man part. Where you just refering to each teams most creative midfielder?

I mean in real life Ronaldo would obviously be their key man even though he's a winger but comapred to Newcastle they have about 4 key men i.e. Giggs, Scholes, Anderson, Ronaldo. Should I use the counter tactic and apply opposition instructions to all of these players or just one and if so which one player should I choose?

I'm just a little confused about this thats all

Originally posted by CREW:

polat

What should I do when playing against Man Utd away as Newcastle? I will obviously apply opposition instructions to their strikers Rooney, Tevez or Saha but I'm confused about the key man part. Where you just refering to each teams most creative midfielder?

I mean in real life Ronaldo would obviously be their key man even though he's a winger but comapred to Newcastle they have about 4 key men i.e. Giggs, Scholes, Anderson, Ronaldo. Should I use the counter tactic and apply opposition instructions to all of these players or just one and if so which one player should I choose?

I'm just a little confused about this thats all

i think applying against all would be safer mate. When i am playing against Barca, i use OI against Etoo, Messi, Iniesta and Ronaldinho , it could be a tiring process though icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers. What I'm planning on doing is making saves before matches and then testing the tactic/s on each one.

For example I have made a save game before we play Man Utd away (a much stronger team and a very hard game) and Bolton away (a more or less level team to Newcastle and one we should win with the correct tactics).

What I'm going to do is test the tactics in these games by replaying the same game with my team fully fit 10 times with each of the two tactics and opposition instructions applied. If we win 8 times out of ten against Bolton for example then I would consider that particular tactical setup a success.

I really think it's possible to win the premiership with newcastl with these brilliant tactics in the first season and it's just about deciding which ones to choose which is what I'm going to attempt to test.

This sound good to you?

I've just tried the counter tactic away against Man Utd. I applied the opposition instuctions to Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo, Giggs, Anderson and Scholes.

They beat us 6 - Nil icon_frown.gif

I want to try and get a tactic to work for a mid to high level team like Newcastle that gets results against the top teams away from home. Obviously it's Hard against Man U but I want to try and hold out for a draw there.

Just to let you know I am still using these tactic and have finally finished the season.

I manage two teams at the same time in the 2014/15 season.

Aston Villa, these are the shining stars of the premiership, predicted to win the title. We finished top, only 2 points clear of second place but a massive 25 points ahead of 3rd. Our home record was 19 victories from 19 games, away was a little worse with 6 draws and 1 loss, the loss came against the second placed team Arsenal in a gripping 4-3 game. Goals scored were at an average of 3.1 per game, conceded is at 0.8. We only let in 7 goals at home in the league.

The team spends 80% of its games playing the 4-4-2, I have found that the 4-1-4-1 is less successful for them. I have actually created a second version of the 4-4-2 for the closer games. All I did was reduce the mentality, passing, tempo and width sliders down to mid point or slightly below and ticked counter attack.

For a top flight team this is an excellent set of tactics.

My second team is Bristol City in the Championship, predicted for mid table obscurity, we scrapped a decent run towards the end of the season to get 8th place, although we were 14 points behind the first play off place. 90% of the games were played as the 4-1-4-1. We exceeded our target placement with a team that is far below the standard of most of the league. Again the switch to 4-4-2 caused them problems and i found my self leaking goals when we should be favourites.

In conclusion:

Both tactics are sound tactics that give you far better results than you would expect your team to achieve.

4-4-2 based teams:

99 points for a top placed team is not to be sniffed at, the single loss and 3 of the draws came early in the season, the other 3 draws came in the Christmas break. To put it into context of how well Arsenal played, at the Christmas break they had a 5 point lead over me, as they had not lost by that point. They also knocked me out of the FA cup.

Most games the opposition was limited to long range shots and several games I restricted them to 3 or less shots on goal while having over 30 myself. The 4-1-4-1 works well for a top team away, but at home I had to use the modified 4-4-2 to get better results, otherwise I would leak an early goal.

4-1-4-1 based teams:

If you are not in the top few teams in your league you will spend a lot of time playing this. I tended to get hammered pretty badly by the top 5 teams, often loosing 4-1 or there about, but they are mostly teams that have dropped out of the premiership and are vastly supperior to me. Morale seems to have a huge impact on this tactic and I found that I would lose or draw a few in a row before i turned it around.

TIPS:

1) If you can get yourself a good two AMLR, play them both and set them to swap wings, the AI does not like this.

2) Set both tactics up on the tactics screen so that you can switch between them with out the players moving position. You do this by dragging the players on the pitch representation and not in the list. Save them when your happy, I do this for all my tactics so I can flit between them in match and not worry that my DR and DL suddenly swap positions.

Experiments to try and things to improve:

1) Against teams playing lone strikers I am currently looking at making one of my defenders more defensive to pick the lone striker up, this frees the other one to contain the midfield.

2) Set pieces, I conceded a fair amount of goals from set pieces, I need to understand where they are going wrong so i can alter them. Corners, both me and the AI scored a similar amount of goals from corners, so even though this tactic exploits the defender challenging the keeper bug, i don't think it is a problem that I need to address.

3) I am looking at creating a slightly more offensive version of the 4-1-4-1 for those games that you are almost favourite, but not just there.

Sounds like you're doing something seriously wrong CREW, against top teams that you would normally lose or draw you should use the counter, I normally apply OI on wingers and strikers.

Use the 442 against teams such as bolton at home when you expect to win.

Archived