[FM11] Cymru fo am byth! (Prestatyn)

DSYoungEsq

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, I lied. Couldn't resist playing out the next draw:

breiablikvprestatynpost.png

ON WE GO!

Of course, Maccabi Tel Aviv await. That's not an easy task! The good news: even if we lose, we are still seeded into the Group Stage of the EURO Cup!!!

PAYDIRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are the best team in Iceland, can you see my challenge?

Flamers

Nice going. Lets just hope the club can keep up with your pace. i.e. Ground development and facilities.

How do you get into the group stage if you lose to Maccabi? Makes the game a bit pointless doesn't it

Also I can't believe how good your youth players are.

At Zulte Waregem I have a youth academy and average youth recruitment in the top Belgian league and I do not get players with any double figure stats. I have very average players at best. My players are more like Morris the second striker

At Zulte Waregem I have a youth academy and average youth recruitment in the top Belgian league and I do not get players with any double figure stats. I have very average players at best. My players are more like Morris the second striker

If there are loads of youth academies then your less likely to get brilliant players. For example: if I set one up in Iceland I would get good kids, mainly, as it would be the only one I think. In England you need it to get average players.

Flamers

Nice going. Lets just hope the club can keep up with your pace. i.e. Ground development and facilities.

How do you get into the group stage if you lose to Maccabi? Makes the game a bit pointless doesn't it

The losers of the Champion's League qualifier playoffs get seeded into the EURO Cup groups. So we crash out of the UCL, but get a nice, soft landing in the lesser competition. Of course, if we were to actually, you know, BEAT Maccabi Tel Aviv, we'd be in the group stages of the UCL...

Phil Morris Y7 is probably as good a player as I've had come up through the youth intake (though I've not compared to see if my old keeper or Aaron Evans Y2 were better at that age). But back when I started in 2010, that sort of player was a 4-5 star potential for the team; now they are lucky to garner two stars in potential. And, of course, the even sadder aspect is that they will never reach their maximum potential at my club, because our facilities won't let them. That's why I have to constantly work to pick off the cast-offs of bigger English clubs if I really want to better the team.
Fantastic work. Group stage even in the Europa League should net you a tidy sum. :thup:
Thanks! I'm hoping so. It's crucial that the facilities keep up with the progress, and that takes moolah, which I don't get too much of at 155 people in attendance at each game.

I must admit that, during the second game away to Zeljeznicar, I had my heart in my mouth! Anthony scored indirectly off a free kick taken from about 35 yards out to the right in the 10th minute. After that, it was mainly a game of hanging on with my usual super-defensive 5-2-1-1-1 tactic. Everytime the enemy had the ball in my half, I almost couldn't bear to watch.

They are the best team in Iceland, can you see my challenge?

Flamers

Trust me, you are taking on a challenge I wouldn't have the patience for! This one I'm working on is enough of a pain! :D

Trust me, it's testing mine. Everyone can score, except me. Now no goals in 4 games...

I prefer to lose 3-2 than lose 1-0...

Flamers

+1 on that. I love when they ask me in the press conference what type of footie my teal will be playing. As if there was ever a doubt (other than when I'm parking a bus and anything else I can commandeer during a European match! :D)!

Prestatyn_Town.png

Europe: What a ride! - Preseason report - 2017/8

17psmatches.png

My squad at start of season.

The Reserves, including those available from the first team and youth squad. My usual approach.

The “Youth”

This is a slightly delayed report. I saw no reason to make it until I had finished the playoff for a spot in the UCL groups. So I've already played two WPL games, but I'll report as if this is still the end of “pre-season”.

First: Europe.

As I've shown above, we got lucky, and then were very good, both at the right times. We've reaped a pretty big reward, as a result. And even our failure resulted in a huge payoff

We were very lucky with our draw. FK Željezničar (Sarajevo – BIH) have an inflated UEFA coefficient, courtesy of a lucky run two years ago to the group stage of the UCL (they got drawn on the way against Dinamo (Tirana), Hajduk (Split) and FC Vaslui, not chump change, but not a killer path, either). Their reward that year was a group with Liverpool, Lyonnaise and PSV Eindhoven! But it means that they were seeded higher than they should have been; they really weren't worth being a top-half team in that draw. Then, after we dispatched them, we got Breiðablik, who's coefficient is substantially below ours, but we were “seeded” because the seeding was based upon Željezničar's ranking, since the draw occurs before our tie was decided. So we could easily have had two rounds of MUCH greater difficulty than we did (in the 3rd Qual. Round, Cluj was present, as was Københaven).

Of course, the luck ran out when we got matched with Maccabi Tel-Aviv. It's not that they are better than we are; indeed, they really aren't. But we were in over our head experience-wise, and it finally showed. Tel-Aviv stuffed us 4-0 at their place when my defenders went on an unplanned vacation from their chores; since the ”Super Defense” tactic depends mightily upon the defense doing its job, that sudden capitulation of duty on their part was not a good thing. We did better at home, but were never going to crawl back from a four-goal deficit. We did have much the better of play, though. Lesson learned for the lads. I think that, had we been home first, we'd have taken them down.

Tel-Aviv's reward, btw, for their cheeky dispatch of our lads? A group date with Real Madrid, PSV, and Porto. Hope they enjoy it. :evilgrinsmiley:

Our reward for failing to do what we could have: A group date with PSG, FC Københaven and Belenenses (Lisbon). We have no chance with PSG and Københaven, of course, but I fancy we might manage a draw at home against Belenenses, who are over-achieving to be playing in the EURO Cup (Europa League). And we do want results: any draws or wins we manage in the group add to our coefficient at full value (1 for a win, .5 for a draw). No sharing with the other Welsh teams!

Of course, this means the start of the season is going to be horribly congested. God knows what happens when we start adding in Welsh Cup and League Cup dates. I think it's a good thing I've beefed up the squad a bit, and I may have to go looking for some players to borrow. Otherwise, we're going to be running a really, really light-weight League squad.

Second: Home front.

Which brings up things at home. Not nearly so exciting as Europe, nor even as exciting as last season's pre-season friendlies. We even managed our first friendly loss in I can't recall how long (to Yeovil). But we dispatched Swansea again, and saw off Bristol Rovers as well with the “B” team! Hopefully, that “B” team was getting to know each other, cause they will see a lot of each other in League games to start the season!

The goal, then, is to stay in the top three in the League until we get to the last phase, by which time our silly European adventure will be over, and we can get back to simply playing our best eleven. Having seen how remunerative a group in Europe can be, we do NOT want to fail in retaining our WPL crown.

Finances are awesome. I love it when there is a quantum jump in scale, and the old ups and downs get smoothed out by comparison. I've not decided exactly what I'll ask the Board to spend the money on. I would really, really like an academy for the youth, but that may be a bit far-fetched as a goal, even with $5M in the bank. Meanwhile, the condition of the club is good.

Oh, and I've coached my 300th game with Prestatyn Town FC. Here's to many, many more!

Wow, Iceland is so much worse than Wales..

Flamers

I would've thought that Iceland was actually easier than Wales, since they have a higher European Coefficient and higher League Reputation, although the Winter break is always a killer for me in northern countries.

So close to Champions League group stages :(
Yes. The more I think about this, the more sad I am about the loss away to M. Tel-Aviv. They aren't that good a team. Probably my fault for over-estimating their ability.
Euro Cup groups should soften the blow though :D
Let's just say: "yes" to this. Didn't realize you get paid an added $200K per win in the EURO Cup groups! :eek:
It would've very likely been different if he had the Icelandic Leagues loaded as well, and to be fair his team is the strongest in the Welsh leagues by a signifcant margin. Still this isn't a competition :D so it doesn't really matter
The biggest mistake in this game was running it with as few leagues loaded as I have. It makes the dynamism more difficult to actually achieve, I'm suspecting. And yes, we outperform what we otherwise would be expected to do because we often play teams that are all "greys". I didn't look carefully at the time, but I'm betting that was true of Breiðablik.

Prestatyn_Town.png

European Fun - The 2017-8 Mid-Mid-Season Report (Delayed)

17mmmatches.png

17mmwpltable.png

Our position graph. Deceptive, as it doesn't take into account games in hand along the way.

The squad

The Reserves

The Youth.

This report is later than usual. I usually issue this report after the first 11 games of the WPL, that is, after once through each of the other teams. This time, I've delayed until the end of our European group games. This means we've played 14 games in the League. But I simply couldn't see writing a report that would leave everyone hanging as to the outcome of our first ever European group play.

Europe:

We had a VERY good run. The first game against PSG went about as expected (read: they kicked our butt). Then, we went to Lisboa to take on C.F. Os Belenenses. I brought our usual formation of buses, trucks, tanks, etc. to park in front of the goal. However, because I want to eventually break out of that habit, I moved one of the two DMs up to act as a play-making midfielder (Bradley). I don't know if that made any difference, but not long before the end of the first half, some nifty interplay left Alex Nimely with a shot from the top-right of the area, and he blasted it in past the 'keeper, giving us the lead. We managed to hang onto that lead through the whole game, giving us our first ever European Victory!!!!

Three weeks later, FC København brought us back to the ground with a fairly dominant 0-2 drubbing at their place. Two weeks later, we invited them to our home and proved we belong in Europe, with a 2-1 win (Nimely and Fleetwood giving us the 2-0 lead). At that point, we actually stood a chance of making it out of the group! Here was the situation going into match #5 with PSG (at Paris): if we could limit the damage in losing, and Belenenses beat or tied København, then a win in the last match against Belenenses would see us through! We did our part, holding PSG to a 0-1 victory (I had them fly the Space Shuttle in to park it, so desperate were we!). Sadly, Belenenses lost 2-3. This meant we had to beat Belenenses by a fair margin to improve goal differential, then hope that PSG could beat København by enough to matter.

Again, we upheld our end of the bargain. For the first time in Europe against a better opponent, we eschewed the Super Defense® and went with our normal League 4-2-2-2. The 3-1 scoreline justly represents the advantage we had in play during the game. Unfortunately, PSG fielded a weak team, and København took the win at home, ending our run in Europe.

One interesting note I didn't realize before starting the group: they pay you extra ($200K) if you win! That netted us an added $600K for our 3-0-3 record. I wasn't turning it down!

Home Front:

The extended run in Europe forced us to do some creative line-up jiggering. In a way, it was made easier by the fact the WPL requires that I have two U-19s in the lineup. Since none of my U-19s are worth even putting within miles of the field in Europe, that meant I didn't have to worry about their rest. But in order to keep my really important players rested and ready, I had to use lesser-quality players in the WPL games, and it has had its effect upon our results. The most important effect has been our loose defensive play, likely the result of resting Anthony and Tudur-Jones, the heart of our middle defensive efforts.

The situation wasn't helped by some pretty bad injuries to key players. Crawford, the new striker, went down with a torn hammy right before the second København game; Tait was injured early in the first Belenenses game and missed the next 7 matches. Danny Jackson, a back-up left-back brought in early in the season, is out for 5 mo. with a torn calf muscle. And now Tudur-Jones is out for 6 weeks or so with a thight muscle strain (he had to play the last Belenenses game on injections). It's a VERY good thing I have a deep squad.

As deep as it is, it's still got one or two too many. I've listed Thomas Gregg Lopes da Silva for transfer; he's simply superfluous at this point, though in his inimitable fashion, he does still get on the scoresheet. But he cannot keep up with the Euro boys, so he's only worth having for the WPL, where the top teams are now possessed of defenders able to shut him down for the most part. I'm also looking to get rid of some of the grown-up youth who no longer can help me meet the U-19 quota for the WPL and who will never make their way into my first team.

Fortunately, despite playing a secondary team for the WPL matches, we've managed to make our way to the top of the table, with a game in hand. Further, we're still alive in the Welsh Cup, and we are already into the League Cup final. So we've managed to do better than I thought we would, and will now be able to concentrate our efforts on home silver (I hate giving up trophies I already have in my cabinet!).

Lastly, although I've been keeping an eye out for additional talent to acquire, I'm dropping my tactic of the last three years of hiring anyone really good, regardless of need, to keep them out of the hands of my opponents in Wales. Frankly, we need the WPL teams to get better, so they, too, can do well in Europe. Indeed, this season Carmarthen won its first European qualifying tie (over FC Neftçi Baku), which is the first time since I started in Wales that any of the Welsh teams other than Prestatyn won a stage (FC Wiener Neustadt took them down the next round 2-5, but Carmarthen did draw the home leg 2-2). To get better, the WPL teams need access to players other than my rejects and cast-offs, and I don't need to stockpile players.

Club is doing well, and everyone is confident in me.The club's finances are in great shape!. Indeed, we're so well off, the Board have agreed to plan a Youth Academy.You can see the planning progress here. I didn't even have to stomp my feet and whine, like I expected.

In other news: The Wales Nation Team job opened up finally. I immediately applied. In a fit of stupidity, they went with someone else. Guy's never coached before, go figure. And I've had my first showdown with an agent for a player of mine. He thought Djillali's play in Europe entitled him to more money; I showed him that the door works as well going out as in. I then told Djillali personally I would work on a new contract. It's not the money I object to; it's the cologne of the agents.

Finally, some news about the upcoming World Cup 2018: Here are the European Qualifying Tournament results: Groups 1-3, Groups 4-6, and Groups 7-9 (The Playoffs). Note that Wales won its group (over Turkey, Austria and Scotland!).

Here are the drawn groups for the WC: Groups A-D, and Groups E-H. Wales are in with Egypt, Belgium and the USofA. That means we should qualify easily for the knockout rounds. Note that England have Honduras, Chile and Qatar. If they don't progress from THAT group, well, that would be sad, really sad. :evil grin smiley:

Indeed, we're so well off, the Board have agreed to plan a Youth Academy.You can see the planning progress here. I didn't even have to stomp my feet and whine, like I expected.

What I would give to have a youth academy

Very impressive group stage you certainly showed you were no pushovers :D. Looks like your league form has taken a slight hit because of it though

Prestatyn_Town.png

Setting things aright - The 2017-8 Mid-Season Report

17msmatches.png

17mswpltable.png

Our position graph.

The Squad.

The squad's overall stats.

The Reserves.

The Youth.

This will be very short. We have righted the ship, to the extent it was in danger. We stand 11 points clear, going into the split-table phase. No one is going to catch us; the nearest teams have all failed as we went 6-2-0 coming down the stretch to the split.

This is attributable mostly to being able to use our top players in the League (when healthy). Indeed, Alex Nimely has gone on a rampage. He's scored in seven of the nine games we've played since ending our Europe group, tallying 13 in that stretch. Given that both Fleetwood and Crawford were injured for much of that time, it's a darned good thing he caught fire.

I've started strengthening the squad, signing two back-up players who will replace current back-ups.

Grant Basey – DL:

Though listed as a DL, he's got the ability to play almost every position from midfield back and from left to center. Much more versatile than the currently injured backup (Jackson), he'll probably take over the S2 spot from Dan Wylde (that's my jack-of-all-trades defender sub spot).

Scott Daniels – DM/D/M ©:

Intended as the replacement for Aaron Evans Y2 in the S4 spot (defensive-minded midfielder). He's not as fast or as good on attack as Evans, but he's a better defender, and is more determined.

Of course, this is all just penny-ante stuff. Come this summer, things may really start happening. When I got my modified salary and transfer budgets in Jan., I was pleasantly surprised to see they had gone up a wee bit. After I picked my jaw up off the table (ouch!), I started planning for down-the-road needs, and scouting accordingly. Byron Anthony is 33; he wants replacing soon. Assuming I can get someone worthwhile to accept a contract with us, we're gonna replace him with real talent at the back.

Finances. No use talking about these much, now. The Board REALLY likes me now, too.

I think you may have a job for life there- you may even make Prestatyn a cosmopolitan lifestyle area eventually, up there with the likes of Milan, Madrid and Milton Keynes!

Are you listed as favoured personnel yet? Icon? Legend?

I think you may have a job for life there- you may even make Prestatyn a cosmopolitan lifestyle area eventually, up there with the likes of Milan, Madrid and Milton Keynes!

Are you listed as favoured personnel yet? Icon? Legend?

I am "favored personnel" (note the American spelling (!)). One of the strikers I brought into the club is an icon, but not me. No legends yet at all.

I can only hope to aspire to be not far from having the potential to be up there with Milton Keynes! :D

I would bug the board for more scouts!! I have 7 in Icelandic tier 3, they are all awful except one but I don't get a huge scope quickly :)

Flamers

No point in more scouts. With only the home nations loaded + Ireland, and limited by my board to scouting those places, I can usually manage to scout the entire area within a year, and have him go back through Wales a second or third time. And as it is, RARELY does anyone pop up in either Scotland or N. Ireland. :(

Another season, another easy run in the WPL. It seems like Prestatyn is becoming a Welsh titan. Congrats on the European run as welll, I've had a very similar run in Europe, oddly enough losing to another Israeli team in the Champions League 4th round and I'm just starting the games of the group stages. I really hope that I can achieve similar success in the Europa League. 3 wins and 3 losses is absolutely incredible for the players and resources you have available!! :). KUTGW :thup:. I'm having similar problems with scouting, although I do have more leagues loaded. It's simply difficult to find players in any country who wants to come to the lower home nations league! :(

Prestatyn_Town.png

Triple Double! - The 2017-8 End of Season Report

17eosmatches.png

17eoswpltable.png

The Position Graph.

The Squad.

The Squad's stats (combined).

The Reserves.

The Youth Rated.

As expected, the final stage of the season was a cake-walk, mostly. We even had room for some slippage near the end; as it turned out, although we could have clinched with 5 games left, we needed two added efforts to seal the deal. Complacency in the League is starting to creep into our mindset. I guess that happens when you are champions five times out of six.

The only other WPL drama was whether or not Cambrian & Clydach would stay up, having been forced to go semi-pro upon promotion this season. Bangor City gave them a run for their money, but sadly, the “Citizens” managed to do a better job on goal differential, and won an extra game in week 31 to doom C&C. Poor team; they had it all this year: not one, not two, but three chairman shakeups, in addition to an almost top-to-bottom revamping of the squad. All for nothing.

The cups were relatively easy, though hats off to non-League side Goytre for taking us to extra time in the Welsh Cup final. Of course, at that point they ran out of gas, and we swept them away. They did a much more credible job than Carmarthen, who basically capitulated from the start in the League Cup final.

We managed another goal-scoring record this year, with 74, but it came at a price at the back, though only one other League outfit gave up fewer goals. Attendance was up marginally (we fill 11 percent of our seats now, on average, instead of 10!). We should have the hands-down WPL PoY this season; won't know for a few weeks. Not much else of note to talk about, really.

I did manage to bring on board two more players:

Sam Taylor – ST/AMC:

This is Thomas Gregg Lopes da Silva's replacement: the striker who can play in a reserved position. He's as good as any striker I've got, and he's still only 21, so he can improve. Lopes da Silva's contract expires this season, so it's a good thing Taylor came along.

Gary Carr – ST:

Yes, another striker, but he's only 17(!) and he's not English. My new scout found this guy on his first time scouting Ireland. I had him in for a trial, liked what I saw, and signed him. He's going to make the WPL squad next season as the S5 (striker sub), since he'll meet the U-19 criteria. I won't see a youth player of this caliber out of my new academy for a few years.

The break will see me try to shed some dead weight. Too many players in the squad, and I cannot count on getting $5M+ payoffs every season to pay for them. I'd love to use the fancy transfer budget to improve the team, but anyone worth more than about $50K is going to decline to sign for me, so it's not worth trying. If I can find a decent DC to replace Anthony (who, at 33, was a bit vulnerable this year), I'll be satisfied.

Finances.

Club overview.

Club Information Overview. I'm “favored personnel”. Notice that Stuart Fleetwood is an “icon.” Heck, folks, who HIRED that guy to put the biscuit in the basket for us??

Another season, another easy run in the WPL. It seems like Prestatyn is becoming a Welsh titan. Congrats on the European run as welll, I've had a very similar run in Europe, oddly enough losing to another Israeli team in the Champions League 4th round and I'm just starting the games of the group stages. I really hope that I can achieve similar success in the Europa League. 3 wins and 3 losses is absolutely incredible for the players and resources you have available!! :). KUTGW . I'm having similar problems with scouting, although I do have more leagues loaded. It's simply difficult to find players in any country who wants to come to the lower home nations league! :(
Thanks, Matt! You'll enjoy the experience, I'm betting. And your money woes are gone for good. :) The recruiting doesn't get much better, though.
It was an example

Flamers

Hehehe, I know. Yanking your chain, mate. ;)

Still only 1 EC place?

And I know about the icon stuff, I have overachieved for 5 seasons now, not even favoured... Yet a Ukrainian who has not even been here two years is favoured, cheers!

Flamers

No, we get 1 ECC, 3 EC. But the EC places depend upon playoffs, so the table won't show that for another couple weeks. And since one EC place goes to the losing Welsh Cup semi-finalist, who was non-League this year, that won't show on the table anyway. :D

Prestatyn_Town.png

The Year End Summary - 2017/8

Results:

WPL: 1st 18 pts. ahead of Aberystwyth

WC: Winner 4-1 aet v. Goytre

LC: Winner 4-0 v. Carmarthen

Europe: Won 1st tie v. FK Zeljeznicar Sarajevo (BIH) 2-1 2nd Qual Phase UCL (Champions)

Won 2nd tie v. Breiðablik (ISL) 5-1 3rd Qual Phase UCL (Champions)

Lost 3rd tie v. Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR) 0-5 Qual Playoff UCL (Champions)

Finished 3rd Group F W3 D0 L3 Pts 9

0-0-2 v Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 0-3 H, 0-1 A

1-0-1 v FC København (DEN) 0-2 A, 2-1 H

2-0-0 v FC Os Belenenses (POR) 1-0 A, 3-1 H

Prestatyn Town FC Honors

WPL Manager of the Year

Douglas Young (lost count of how many in a row that is)

WPL Team of the Season: Only 5 this year: – James Bloom, Josh Kay, Michael Bradley, Alex Lawless, Alex Nimely.

Fan's Player of the Year: Alex Nimely, to no one's shock. He was totally shafted out of the WPL PoY award (given to Ibrahim of Carmarthen).

News for Prestatyn Town FC:

Prestatyn are now 204th in Europe!. That's up almost 140 places! We picked up 6.5 coefficient points from this last year's run in Europe.

A lot less of our name on here than there should be. We'll probably have the YPoY next year in Joe Morris Y5.

The club's profits were $5M. That's on turnover of about $6M. Will pay for some nice things.

The club is breaking ground on the promised Youth Academy. Starting next season (2019), I hope to be getting some significantly improved youth players.

News about Wales and the World:

The WPL makes a big move up in Europe. Up to 258th, which was barely beaten out by North Ireland's move. This puts the WPL roughly at the level of secondary Eastern European leagues. It also puts it one slot behind the FA Trophy. :p

Wales has the same European slots. Wales is getting close to an improvement (only needs to move up two more ranks in coefficient ratings. Notice you have to be 14th or better to get a second UCL place.

Here are the WPL Euro place results from last season. Goytre get the last EC spot (as losers in the final to the winners (us), who qualify for the ECC as well).

Wales are ranked 24th in the world. Good results lately have paid off.

In other news of the world:

Wales still have not filled the U-19 or U-21 slots. I'm seriously unhappy at this snub.

Prestatyn_Town.png

...and on ... - 2018 Initial Report

The Board demand first place. No option given! Notice the nice transfer kitty...

The 2018 Season Squad, at present, Ass Man ratings included. No signings as yet since end of last season.

The "reserves." For a change, I'm showing those who are not youth or first team. Most of them leaving 6/30/18.

The youth intake for the year. One player of note, see below.

I wasn't given much choice about my aims this year. The Board are insistent we win the WPL. Can't blame them; that's my goal, too. I guess they think if they are going to offer a couple million bucks to me, I'd best make the result come about.

Sad part is, all that money is really meaningless. I've targeted a couple possible transfers that would help, but they turned up their nose at Prestatyn Town FC. So I'm going to have to be patient. Trouble is, Anthony isn't getting any younger, and I need someone at least as dynamic at the back to replace him. Patience isn't something I can have a lot of there.

I've let Elliott Chamberlain go to Newport Co. for a fee of $24K. Probably could have gotten more, but I don't care. He was superfluous to our needs. Of course, I've got both Nimely and Djillali agitating for a move to better clubs (or in the case of Djillali, a seriously improved contract). Soon, I'm going to have to upgrade the amounts I pay players here significantly, or they will be looking to move on.

There was one decent youth player:

Darren Andrews Y8 – DM/MC:

My Ass. Man., Phil Catlin, thinks this lad is pretty good. My best defensive coach, Lee Jenkins, doesn't really agree. On paper, with proper coaching, he might be as good as Aaron Evans Y2. We'll see.

Speaking of Aaron Evans Y2, I've decided to let him fight with Scott Daniels for the S4 spot (defensive minded midfielder). Evans has more ability to attack; Daniels has a better head on his shoulders. They will spend pre-season duking it out, then we'll see who gets put up for grabs.

Since we need to maximize the value of our youth (especially with an upcoming Academy), I've decided to hire another youth coach. I've also decided to get a fitness coach for the first time. And, since the Board graciously decided to let me have a wider area to scout, I'm hiring a new scout. Heady times at Prestatyn Town FC!

My Finances. This coming year, I'm budgeting for about $500K in prize money, and a loss of no more than $200K. The Board's situation is decent; youth Academy will be done in Nov. I've been granted permission to scout the entire continent!

And in the most important news: The club have decided to go completely professional. No more semi-pro part-timers. I've been signing all players and staff to full-time contracts for a couple years, now; at least now I won't have some of them wrangling to be allowed to stay part-time.

Another great season - particularly the impressive European run! :thup: And good to see that once the adventure was over, you started destroying the opposition domestically again.

I know I had previously reassured you that there was still hope for the Welsh youth team jobs... well, at this point, I've changed my mind. I'm pretty sure it's a deliberate snub. We're going to have to start working on getting the powers-that-be at the Welsh FA replaced so that they can see sense and appoint the most impressive manager in Wales! :D

Another great season - particularly the impressive European run! :thup: And good to see that once the adventure was over, you started destroying the opposition domestically again.

I know I had previously reassured you that there was still hope for the Welsh youth team jobs... well, at this point, I've changed my mind. I'm pretty sure it's a deliberate snub. We're going to have to start working on getting the powers-that-be at the Welsh FA replaced so that they can see sense and appoint the most impressive manager in Wales! :D

From an OOC standpoint: it's pretty clear that the mechanism for filling these jobs is a bit broken in the game. Sad, in a way; it's an easy way into eventually managing the full national team.
There aren't many Professional teams in Wales are there?

Gratz on the whole continent! I suggest East Europe as a start ;)

Flamers

Actually, I'll probably mine Portugal, first. Tends to have lovely Brazillians there. :D

Yeah, that game had everything. We went in thinking: "Just hold them to a goal more than us." Then, we go up by 6-2 on aggregate, and I'm thinking, "It's in the bag!" But, as a famous line from a Star Trek eposode said: "Wrong thinking will be punished!" Bam! I watch and exchange of goals that leaves us 3-3 for the game, and 7-5 on aggregate. We limp into halftime and I'm thinking, "Geez, can we even survive this game!?" So we come out and put two in the basket and I'm thinking thoughts of joy again. Then they get the penalty, and miss it, and I'm thinking, "It's a done deal." Wrong! Thank goodness the referee finally ended the match, or goodness knows what would have happened!

Archived