[FM11] FC United of Manchester Thread - The Red Rebels!

TacticalGenius

Used FMRTE to build my team basically, got promoted first two seasons and seems I've built a great team. I could post screenshots just not sure everyone will agree with using FMRTE. Bad thing is players don't want to stick around forever when they develop skill..

Get out of my thread.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after starting a career game and seeing FC united get promoted after the first season i quickly applied and was soon signed up.

but they only had one member of the actual team, a DL by the name of Ludovic Quistin and no staff. i quickly had to sign up a few recruits.

a brand new, unfamiliar squad with a set of unfamiliar tactics? this recipe for disaster meant 3 points in the first 9 games. but it's picking up (slowly) which i think is down to the fact my goalie has learnt how to catch, woo!

Anyway, back to the land of no-cheats, its going well in the BSN this time round, currently 2nd, but with a game in hand, after 15 games. Wesley Ngo Baheng is single-handedly winning games, with 18 goals in 15(2) apps. Got all the way to equalling FC's current RL FA Cup run to the 2nd round, being knocked out by Hereford 3-1. The fans complained, AND according to the media, we were supposed to 'mount a real challenge for the FA Cup'. Whatever...

Into BSP playoffs, could've won the league but some strange results. It's strange because I'm near top of league but nearly always the underdog, thought it would change as the season went on, but doesn't seem to..

I would swear, but it's not allowed.. really annoyed with amount of injuries, makes game near enough impossible to play towards end of season

Nearing the end of the 2011-12 season, 1st atm, can I maintain it despite 3 draws in a row? We'll see very soon...

...Promoted as WINNERS! With three games to go! The board have agreed to my requests for more coaches, physios, AND new training and youth facilities too!!!

Hmm... up to the middle of the second season after starting with the database to level 8. Won the Northern Premier Prem and the Northern Prem cup :) At January I'm 8th in the table, hoping to sign a few more free players to push for play-offs.

I'm finding it pretty easy at the moment, I'm not sure if it's the game giving FC a large income through big attendances but even using only scouts I can get top quality players. I think it'll get tougher in the league.

Anyone managed to get into the league yet? Furthest in the cup competitions? I got to the 2nd round of the FA Cup, much like the real FC :)

I have signed an amazing assistant - Gareth Ainsworth! (18 Man Management, 12 Tac Knowledge, 11 JPP/JPA) I made sure I signed him up for as many years as possible!

My former players now coaching at the club:

David Chadwick (ex backup CB) is a 3* Defence coach

Darren Powell (ex CB) is a 3.5* tactics coach

Ade Akinbiyi (ex backup ST) is a 3.5* attacking coach

As they were my former players, the board didn't block it as part of the coaches limit, so I have more coaches than I'm allowed!

And thanks to my asstman and scout, I have signed loads of ex-Premiership Youth players! XD

Hehe. I cba with Dafuges Challenge this year.

I've only done Dafuge's challenge once before, and even then I strayed from the rules in the end. So this is my second attempt at it, and I'm enjoying it so far (even though I'm only a quarter of the way through my first season).

I like my little Colwyn bay team. I've only signed 8 new players, and am trying to use the players that were already there when I took charge as often as I can. It's going well, as I'm currently top of the league.

Done, that was simples thank you TG!

He said simples! KILL HIM... Oh wait, he's a Solskjaer fan. Ignore what I just said :p

any tips on how to get strikers scoring? after a pretty awful first season in the BSN (finished 17th) we have started surprisingly well in the 2nd, top after 7 games.

but so far one of my central defenders has scored more (3) than all of my strikers combined (2) !

at least the defence is sorted, only conceded 3 in 7 :)

The chairman has pulled out of upgrading the facilities. What a c***.

You can't say that - Andy Walsh is a legend! i'm sure it was a democratic decision by all the shareholders blah blah.

Sorry, allow me to introduce myself - as you can see from the left panel, I've been around for years but this is the first time I've ventured into the GPG forum. There's a link to this thread in a post on FCUM in GQ.

I'm managing FCUM. FM11 coincided with me watching them on TV here in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and I fell in love. I intend to continue this single career until FM12 comes out; I'm a ponderous micro-manager so I'm only in Dec 2010. I started off intending to use the original squad, but my staff kept recommending better players - mostly kids rejected by high-rep clubs and wandering aimlessly in the lower reaches. Whilst most of my squad are callow youths who get knocked off the ball rather easily, I did scoop a big Slovakian target man from Nantwich, who's knocking most of my goals in.

I got off to a slow start as all these kids were introducing themselves to each other, but by cranking up the match prep 'team blend' to max workload, they're rapidly gelling and playing increasingly attractive football. I've climbed from 16th in the BSN to just taking 1st position in early December.

The big news is that after being drawn away to Wycombe in the FA Cup 2nd round, I parked the coach, soaked up a hell of a battering, and pinched the game's solitary goal in the 90th minute. The result - an away draw at Bolton Wanderers! So maybe I'LL get the cash to invest in youth facilities and coaches. My whole philosophy depends on nurturing youth (pragmatically, and in keeping with FCUM's distinct philosophy), and it's a bit gut-wrenching to have no staff and no facilities!

So I'm feeling pretty good about getting promotion in my first season, but it might be some time before I report in; it often takes me a month to get through a season.

Hello everyone, I just recently join FC United in the year 2019, i've spent my entire 9 year career in non-league football and was looking for a club that could offer a vehicle for promotion to the football league and i've for sure found that with the board giving me a wage budget of 6k and a transfer kitty of 125k :eek: i guess you could i say we are the Man City of the Blue Square North ;)

Plus i am Leeds Fan, so this feels quite strange, but my career needs it otherwise ill be playing hoofball forever.

Gently puts up a picture of Don Revie on the Boardroom wall.

P.S Bury are in the Blue Sqaure North now and you never guess who there manager ....... PN

My squad resembles an Arsenal under-18's squad. I have 7 of them in my first-team squad...

in my whole squad of 40 or so, only 6 are 25+. My captain and vice-captain, in their 30s are absolutely crucial to us.

I always check the histories of recommended players. Quite a few started life at Man U. I always take them in the romantic notion that they have a special reason to succeed at FCUM.

phnompenhandy, Good luck. Keep us all updated with your progress, no matter how slow or fast it is. I'm floating between this thread and the Dafuge's challenge thread, as I'm switching between FC United and Colwyn Bay saves. I'm playing both saves my Dafuge's rules, but I'm going to post my FC United updates in here, and my Colwyn Bay updates in the Dafuge's challenge thread.

E.Gray, good luck to you as well. 125k is a nice transfer budget, but if I were you I'd adjust the budgets so there was more for wages. I'd do this because at BSN level, you won't be spending much, if anything at all on transfers.

Now I got a few of my exams/presentations/essays out of the way with I finally managed to start my FCUM game. Minor-way through the season but I'll post up how i'm doing and how pre-season went, too.

So start off with the transfers;

INS

Lukas Prerost - Assistant Manager (like the only person who would join me!)

Ellis Deeney - Free, 19yo LB

Sabri Gharbi - Free 23yo AMC ... Will be a key player for me this season if I can use him right.

Michael Daly - Free, 22yo MC

Mark Duggan - Free, 25yo MC

Scott Marshall - Free, 25yo DMC (regret this signing, hasn't really been needed)

Peter Hoy - Free, 29yo DC/R

Dene Cropper - Free, 28yo ST

Tommy Mooney - Free, 40yo ST

Peter McMahon - Free, 22yo ST

Danny Fitzsimons - Free, 19yo LB

Luke Rowe - Free, 20yo LB

James Gilpin - Free, 21yo GK

I also had 13 players leaving the club, 11 due to contracts running out and 2 I wanted to ship out to make room for my new signings.

A lot of ins, but this gives me a chance to see which type of player fits best into my tactic and also gives me decent cover to last me over the long season. Tommy Mooney has been a great signing even at the grand age of 40. He's netted me 5 in 7 so far and doesn't look to stop yet! (Norton has been injured otherwise I would probably be starting him).

On to the league, predicted 21st, so finishing anywhere above relegation seems like a good result! 9 games in and i'm sitting 8th with 16 points, W5 D1 L3, 2 points off 3rd. Also in the FA Cup 3rd qualifying round.

Think that's all for now, shall try and get a bit further tomorrow. Good luck to the rest of you with your games!

phnompenhandy, Good luck. Keep us all updated with your progress, no matter how slow or fast it is. I'm floating between this thread and the Dafuge's challenge thread, as I'm switching between FC United and Colwyn Bay saves. I'm playing both saves my Dafuge's rules, but I'm going to post my FC United updates in here, and my Colwyn Bay updates in the Dafuge's challenge thread.

Okay then. It's a holiday today as 3 million rice farmers have poured into the city to enjoy the Water Festival. I'm holed up in my apartment with FM for 3 days!

I've just completed December - boy! Is that a toughie! Snow and sleet (which I've never seen in FM, nor in Cambodia) which my callow kids can't cope with. Games called off left, right and centre due to waterlogged pitches, leading to massive fixture congestion; could've been worse if I hadn't gone out of the FA Trophy in the first round. However, after my lead in the BSN slipped away, Santa brought me a blender for Christmas - in the Boxing Day fixture i stormed back to form with a 6-1 victory over Stafford which the commentary described as 'liquid football'.

Now 2011 beckons and the auspices are good. I trust the 3rd Round Cup game at Bolton will be a good experience and payday without hitting morale, and our fortunes will rise as the temperatures do.

Good stuff so far then phnompenhandy. The December fixtures are always a bit congested, especially with cup games and even cup replays sometimes. In my first season of FM10 (in my only save) I had seven games in two weeks, which nearly destroyed my team. Have you purchased any good players that are worth telling us about?

BTW, was it the OP that convinced you to play as FCUM?

Nope :p

BTW, was it the OP that convinced you to play as FCUM?

Yeah :D someone directed me here from a "which team should I play in BSS/BSN" thread.

So, I've started my season and went through the first few matches. I basically bought over a whole new team, with Daryn Hennessey and Michael Ricketts being the particular highlights. The first one is a great prospect, kudos to my scout in Ireland for finding him :thup: Ricketts was recommended by the Ass Man and he is far superior to Mike Norton in so many levels. I would have signed Wesley Ngo Baheng, he's a no brainer signing on anywhere at or below League 2, too bad some other team had him and was unwilling to sell him to me for the little transfer budget I had.

The Squad

With only 5 matches in the BSN, I'm 11th on the table with 7 points. Something that really intrigued me was this incident, I seriously don't know how could we miss so many CCC's, anyone got an idea?

Assistant just suggested two brilliant players: Gilles Sunu (ST, ex-Arsenal Reserves) amd Jacopo Sala (AMR, ex Cheatski Reserves). Trialled them, signed em. £350 a week each :D

EDIT:

Debut goal for Sala in a 1-1 draw with AFC Telford.

Debut brace for Sunu in a 2-0 win vs Forest Green.

Archived