Steam Problems FAQ and Basic Crash Troubleshooting

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just downloaded the Demo, but when I try and run it i get the following error message:

"warning: rule_group_manger::load() - cannot find rule group"

Seems a bit wierd and havent seen anything on here that would help, although given the fact I've just finished work may have something to do with it - anyone able to help?

I have verified the cache.

Running FM2012 on XP on a Boot Camp'd Macbook Pro - FM11 runs with no issues...but thats standalone, not linked to Steam

its an issue with Bootcamp SI doesn't support that you can try erasing the cache and settings folder

Cache and settings folder are on the same place so only one instruction is fine

How do I delete my Cache files?

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders.

XP:

My Computer

'Tools'

'Folder Options'.

The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

My Computer

'Organize'

'Folder and Search Options'.

The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Once this is done, follow the instructions below:

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Go to the “Football Manager 2011” Folder.

5. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Go to the “Football Manager 2011” Folder.

6. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

more info http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/276833-Error-while-trying-to-start-a-quick-start-game.

Are you guys all running a Windows operating system on a Mac? We don't officially support that and have not tested in that scenario. We are looking into the issue, but we don't suggest running in this way as it may cause issues we are unware of. Thanks.

It was once possible to play games in offline mode on steam, but now its only for up to a month that is if there are no up dates needed. most uni's and some other open network places have a block on steam so no point in even having steam if your going to uni.I have a very bad internet connection that drops out for a fraction of a second every 6-10 seconds and that stops me using steam as well, i hate not being able to play what i have paid for!

It seems a few people are having the same issue, has anyone figured out a way around this:

picture2od.png

This happens whenever I try and launch the demo. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, etc, to no avail. Is this a game issue, or a steam issue?

It seems a few people are having the same issue, has anyone figured out a way around this:

picture2od.png

This happens whenever I try and launch the demo. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, etc, to no avail. Is this a game issue, or a steam issue?

I have the exact same problem. I am on Mac, i've never had this issue with previous Football Managers. Until I can get the demo running I'm not even considering purchasing this game. Is this a well known issue that is being worked on at SI?

It is. Can't hurt to head over to the crash section of the bugs forum and open a thread there though and someone from SI will assist you. On the off chance it's something other than the known Intel GPU issue for you.

Hey there,

I'm having some massive issues with my new laptop and steam.

I have used Steam for the last few years and it has worked fine. However I recently got a new laptop over the summer and I have encountered some issues. When I try to play FM11 or the FM12 demo Steam just says "preparing to launch FM...." and nothing happens. What makes it wierd is that the first time I launched FM11 it worked fine, and ever since then I've had the symptoms I've just described.

I have had a look through here and tried verifying the cache (twice) and that hasn't worked.

I have tried typing in the small window thing in the launch controls.

And I have also tried downloading the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Redistributable Package, but I get this message when I try installing it:

"An error occured during setup. Installed files have been removed from your computer. For known issues and torubleshooting inofrmatoin, see the online Readme. for error information, see Error log."

I've had a look through, but it doesn't seem to be too helpful.

I'm not a computer genius, but I'm not a technical **** either.

Not to sure what to do now, really frustrating as I have always liked steam.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5742Z

Processor: Intel Pentium P6200 @ 2.13Ghz

RAM: 4.00 GB

System type: 64-bit operating system

Running Windows 7

Really appreciate any help right now :)

320 GB HDD

Oh and after I close steam after attempting to start an FM game, the following message comes up quickly before steam closes:

"Finishing Steam Cloud Sync"

I have no idea what that means and have never seen it before, until I started having the issues described in the post above.

Sorry about the double post.

picture2od.png

What version you running? I am running on 10.7.1 iMac and never had any problem with the demo at all.

Archived