They Come From a Land Down Under

archie#10

And another one of these. :D

Semi finals analysis

Australia vs England

After dispatching one former colony, England will face another in the semis. Australia definitely the biggest surprise in this tournament of shocks so far. Can they do what the Americans can't?

Argentina vs Uruguay

The Argies face another of their fellow Latinos (they would have faced Mexico had they won their quarter final instead of Russia). Uruguay certainly aren't in the same class as the likes of Russia, and only very lucky pairings (Greece and Nigeria?!) have brought them this far. Only one outcome I think.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the business end of the tournament and things will get tough; England seem on form and will be chomping at the bit to try and win another World Cup. Could be a very tough match, but the players are mostly familiar with one another so I expect it to be tight, with a single goal to decide it. Normally I'd say England are favourites, but they're famous for bottling it when it really matters, right? :D

The Argies are going to win it though, I think!

Nathan Burns you superstar!!!

Thinking back to the 3-1 scoreline when we last beat England all those years ago. Harry Kewell, Tony Popovic and I can't remember the third player all scored for Australia while Fran Jeffers scored his one and only goal for England. Wayne Rooney made his debut and England made 11 subs at half-time. I remember far to much!!!

Carn' the Aussies

6 July 2010

WC Semi Final vs England @ Moses Mabhida Stadium, Durban. Crowd: 69992

ENG out: S. Gerrard (susp), R. Ferdinand (groin strain)

GK- A. Federici (6.6)

RB- L. Neill (7.1)

CB- M. Spiranovic (7.5)

CB- R. McGowan (7.0)

LB- L. Wilkshire (5.9)

CM- V. Grella (6.1) (J. Kennedy 91' (6.7)

CM- M. Bresciano (6.9)

AMR- B. Emerton (6.9)

AMC- T. Cahill (7.1)

AML- H. Kewell (6.5) (J. Culina 56' (7.2)

ST- N. Burns (6.8) (N. Rukavytsya 80' (6.6)

Unused Subs: D. Vukovic, M. Schwarzer, S. Stefanutto, M. Milligan, A. Wilkinson,

N. Kilkenny, D. Vidosic, S. McDonald, B. Djite

AUS 2 (T. Cahill 5'pen, O. Hargreaves 56'og)

ENG 2 (F. Lampard 40', O. Hargreaves 79')

PENALTIES (Bold = scored)

AUS 7 (T. Cahill, L. Wilkshire, J. Culina, J. Kennedy, N. Rukavytsya, M. Spiranovic, M. Bresciano)

ENG 6 (G. Barry, A. Cole, F. Lampard, O. Hargreaves, W. Rooney, J. Terry, D. Bentley)

AUS YC: R. McGowan, T. Cahill

MOM: D. Bentley (ENG) 7.7

We went into this encounter the longest of semi-final underdogs and with no-one really giving us a chance. We were playing England though and, as one pundit pointed out, a lot of our players would know the Englisman well. I told the lads that they need not worry about pressure. All of it would be on England. I had pinned up an article from one British paper which constantly said "when we qualify for the final" not "if we qualify". I then pinned up photos of bars and live venues all over Australia full of their proud countrymen and women. It was only a small gesture. But I hoped it meant something to the players.

I teared up as the national anthem was played. I was still wiping those tears from my eyes when the unbelievable happened. Just five minutes in Nathan Burns latched on to a perfect Ryan McGowan long ball, as he was going on on one with David James, was hauled down by John Terry. The penalty was inevitable, we now waited for the red card. Needless to say I was giving the fourth official an ear-bashing and a half as Terry was allowed to walk away free. Tim Cahill stepped up and cooly slotted the penalty. The calmness under pressure from him was remarkable and it was only fitting that it was Cahill that put us in front. He'd been in sensational form. We managed to hold the English to just long range efforts, the best of these coming from the particularly dangerous Owen Hargreaves after 29 minutes. 11 minutes later and England were on terms. Hargreaves involved again, this time picking up the ball in the centre and running to a wide right position. Once there he swung in a perfectly timed ball for the late arriving Frank Lampard to volley home past Adam Federici. It was a huge blow. England had the momentum and the refs whistle couldn't have come quickly enough.

I knew the English would come out firing. They'd want the lead as soon as they could and would go for it. But they would still be disciplined in defence and we needed to make the most of any potential gaps they left. I resisted the temptation to make a change however.

The second half began exactly as I predicted. England stroked the ball around and got into good areas but couldn't really capitalise. Their best chance in the early parts of the half came from a corner. Luke Wilkshire, who was struggling, had his clearance charged down by Gareth Barry. The ball squirted out to Wayne Rooney but he shot straight at the grateful Federici. Owen Hargreaves had been in everything that was good for England. On 56 minutes he was in something fantastic for us. Mark Bresciano swung the corner towards the dangerous Cahill. Hargreaves got his head to the ball to clear, but instead powered past the stranded David James. Australia 2 England 1, 34 minutes to go. I immediately made a change. The more defensive Jason Culina came on for the ineffectual Harry Kewell. 11 minutes from the end, as I was giving final instructions to my second sub Nikita Rukavytsya, Hargreaves was in the action once more. Frank Lampard had made a promising run to the edge of the penalty area and was about to unload a shot on goal. Vince Grella's tackle forced the ball back away from goal. The first to react was Hargreaves who hit the ball first time from about 25 yards, right into the top corner. I couldn't believe it.

To extra time we went. The English were buzzing. They wanted the game over in extra time without the need for penalties. My players seemed down. I just needed a half-hour more. This was our second extra time in a row. Some players were tiring. I made a change right at the start. The giant Josh Kennedy came on for Grella and we went from having two DM's and one striker to two strikers and one DM. Kennedy partnered Rukavytsya who also had fresh legs. To be honest extra time provided little talking points. England's best chance came from Ashley Cole's miss-hit cross that looked like looping in. Ours was a 30 yard speculator from Culina. Penalties were inevitable. I knew they'd be worried.

We won the toss and shot first.

Tim Cahill, who scored from the spot in regular time, had little trouble sending James sprawling the wrong way. 1-0

Gareth Barry stepped up for England, and despite Federici going the right way, found the top corner. 1-1

Luke Wilkshire had had a shocker of a match. His penalty though was cool and composed. James didn't move, Wilkshire found the bottom left corner. 2-1.

It was Federici who played statues next, as Ashley Cole smashed home high and right as our keeper stood still. 2-2.

Jason Culina was clearly banking on the keeper diving as he blasted his penalty straight down the middle. Luckily James went sprawling to his left. 3-2.

Frank Lampard was coolness personified as he calmly sent Federici the wrong way whilst side footing into the bottom left corner. 3-3.

Josh Kennedy was next, and whilst he sent James the wrong way, he needed the upright to help the ball into the net. 4-3.

He'd been a hero and a villain for his side. Owen Hargreaves stepped up and gave the ball everything. It found the back of the net, but lucky it did, otherwise the ball would still be travelling. 4-4.

The young gun Nikita Rukavytsya was up next. He was our fifth taker but finished calmer than any others. His left foot shot perfectly placed and out of the reach of the flailing James. 5-4

Wayne Rooney was up next and in typical Wayne Rooney style he didn't hang about. He placed the ball on the dot, walked to the top of his run, turned and smashed the ball the opposite way to Federici's dive. 5-5. Sudden Death.

Matthew Spiranovic had the first sudden death kick. He scored the winning penalty in the quarter final shootout against Ukraine. Last time he went right. This time he went left. So did James. Despite getting a hand to it the keeper could only help the ball into the net. 6-5.

The pressure was all on John Terry. He had to score. And he did. Just. Taking a massive gamble the England captain blasted straight down the middle. Unfortunately for us Federici had commited left. 6-6.

Mark Bresciano had the next kick. He too had to score. He'd been quieter than normal today, but stood up when needed and calmly beat James who dived the wrong way yet again. 7-6. Pressure back on England.

David Bentley took the pressure filled kick. Just prior to the shoot out he'd been named man of the match. A puzzling selection I thought. He was pretty quiet. He stepped up needing a score for the shootout to continue. Bentley ran in. Federici signalled right. He dove left. Bentley shot left. We were in the World Cup Final.

OTHER SF RESULT
Argentina 2:0 Uruguay

WORLD CUP FINAL
Australia vs Argentina

Final analysis

(Let's do the third place playoff first shall we? :p)

Third place playoff:

England vs Uruguay

England to knock the Uruguayans and pick up third place. Their best showing in 20 years.

Final:

Australia vs Argentina

Australia have done exceptionally well to reach the final. Can they do the improbable and complete the biggest fairy tale of all time? Don't count against it.

Good luck archie. All the best. :D:thup:

Hahaha, England do indeed bottle it when it counts, and on the dreaded penalities no less! Still, two full sets of extra time, two close penalty shootouts, and certainly a big slice of luck against the Poms, I think topping Argentina, who have had a comfortable run to the final will be, unfortunately, an objective too much for the valiant Aussies.

Still, brilliant job to get to the final against the odds, and some excellent writing, had me on the edge of my seat! :thup:

Thanks everyone for your continued support. It means a lot.

11 July 2010

WC Final vs Argentina @ Soccer City, Johannesburg. Crowd: 87599

AUS out: N. Burns (neck strain), H. Kewell (groin strain)

ARG out: S. Aguero (twisted ankle)

GK- A- Federici (6.5)

RB- L. Neill (6.9)

CB- M. Spiranovic (6.2)

CB- R. McGowan (6.6)

LB- L. Wilkshire (6.9)

CM- V. Grella (7.0) (S. McDonald 96')

CM- J. Culina (6.9) (J. Kennedy 96')

AMR- B. Emerton (7.5)

AMC- T. Cahill (7.5)

AML- M. Bresciano (7.9)

ST- B. Djite (6.6) (N. Rukavytsya 88' (6.6)

Unused Subs: D. Vukovic, M. Schwarzer, S. Stefanutto, M. Milligan, A. Wilkinson,

H. Kewell, N. Kilkenny, D. Vidosic.

-----------------------------------------

My first game in charge was nearly two years ago. We played South Africa in a friendly in London and were beaten 2-1. Now, two years on, I stood as manager of the Australian national team, singing the national anthem moments before a World Cup final in the country that has bought me my only defeat. I'd attempted to calm my nerves by watching England's 2-1 win over Uruguay in the 3rd Place Play-Off. It didn't work. Both sides went in missing key players. For Argentina, they were missing young striking sensation Sergio Aguero through an ankle injury. On our side, Harry Kewell's suffered another cruel injury blow, missing the final with a groin strain. Nathan Burns missed with a neck injury.

The game was cagey as expected early on. Argentina seemed to employ a policy which involved shooting at any opportunity, no matter how far out they were. Their best effort came in the 12th minute when Carlos Tevez's shot from 30 yards had Adam Federici making a quality save. The breakthrough in the final came 10 minutes later though. Maxi Rodriguez dispossesed Jason Culina in our defensive half and in a blink of an eye picked out young gun Federico Laurito with a clear run at goal. The 20 year old Fiorentina striker delicately chipped the ball over the advancing Federici to give Argentina a 1-0 lead. Our best opportunities of the first half both cam from set pieces. In the 35th minute Mark Bresciano swung in a free-kick which was met by the head of Tim Cahill. With his header on target, the Everton midfielder would have been excused for thinking he'd scored. Instead at the far post, Javier Mascherano hoofed the ball away. Just before half time and with the ball a good 35 yards from goal, Luke Wilkshire attempted to catch Argentine keeper Juan Pablo Carrizo out and had him scrambling but not to worried. 1-0 to Argentina heading into the break.

The second half was completly different. Our midfield got on top and dominated possesion and were really starting to upstage Argentina at their own style of game. Although we were still down we had a small victory in the 54th minute. Vince Grella's man marking job on Lionel Messi was so effective that the brilliant Argentine was replaced due to his ineffectiveness. Seven minutes later we had even more to cheer about. Grella combined with Brett Emerton on the right. Emerton side stepped Gabriel Heinze and whipped in a teasing cross which was only partially cleared by Martin Demichelis. Bresciano made the late run from midfield and powered a shot towards goal. Carrizo leaped high to his right and got his fingertips to the ball, but it wasn't enough. Australia 1 Argentina 1. In the World Cup Final. There was still half an hour to go but the Argies seemed resigned to extra time. We kept pressing though. In the 87th minute we were so close to holding that trophy a loft. We'd resorted to long ball to save some energy before extra time. Matthew Spiranovic pumped a long ball forward. Bruce Djite who was struggling badly, jostled for possesion with Heinze, and won out. The ball was bouncing, Heinze was on the turf, Carrizo was advancing. Djite went the lob over the keeper, the right idea I might add. The connection however was poor and the ball trickled, literally, past the left upright. Oh so cruel. The lads confidence was shot and he was replaced with Nikita Rukavytsya. "Go make a hero out of yourself" I told him. For the third time in a row, it was extra time. Did we have enough left in the tank?

Argentina's energy conserving tactics of the last half hour of regular time was working a treat for them. I looked at my bench. All I saw were blokes who were either injured, unfit, or lacking match practice. Argentina were Argentina. And four minutes into extra time they did what Argentina do and unlocked our defence with a fluid passing move. It was Angel Di Maria with the final pass through to Tevez who slid the ball across the keeper and into the net for the goal. Australia 1 Argentina 2. I sensed that was it. I didn't want it to be, but we had nothing left to give. I swapped my two holding midfielders for strikers as Culina and Grella made way for the limping Josh Kennedy and exhausted Scott McDonald. The move resulted in even more midfield domination from Argentina. It resulted in a third. The Argies are well known for their beautiful team goals. Laurito scored a cracking solo goal though that would be a worthy winner of goal of the tournament. He recieved a pass from defence in the centre circle and ran at our defence, which no longer had the two man shield. He managed to step past the exhausted Ryan McGowan before sliding the ball under the diving Federici. That was it. World Cup over.

AUS 1 (M. Bresciano 61')

ARG 3 ( F. Laurito 22' 110', C. Tevez 94')

MOM: F. Laurito (ARG) 8.4

To say I was proud would be an understatement. What we'd achieved was incredible. With a group of players many predicted to come last in our group, we'd beaten Mexico, Portugal, Holland, Ukraine and England. We'd twice come from behind to draw with Brazil. We'd taken Argentina to extra time in the World Cup final. What more could you say.

Ah, a cruel way to lose given the momentum swing in the second half, but alas, my prediction was right in that after 2 matches going to extra time and penalties, Australia simply didn't have enough energy to see out this match against quality opposition.

Tough luck, but still a fabulous performance. :thup:

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Means a lot knowing so many enjoyed this story. Once again thanks

12 July 2010

The World Cup Awards were announced today and the only Australians recognised was Tim Cahill.

WORLD CUP GOLDEN BOOT

1- Ikechukwu Uche (Nigeria) 6 goals

2- Tim Cahill (Australia) 4 goals

3- Carlos Tevez (Argentina) 4 goals

Tim Cahill was named in central midfield in the Team of the World Cup

I thought it was a bit of a disgrace that once again we were overlooked but it seemed to reflect the overall tone of the touranment.

14 July 2010

The first post World Cup rankings figures were released and we rose 8 places to be in 9th following our runners up finish. The big climb came from fourth place at the World Cup Uruguay. They moved up 38 positions to be in 14th place. The team that fell the most were two smaller nations in Congo and St. Vincent who both lost 27 places to fall to 135th and 126th resectively.

TOP 3

1 - Argentina (2)

2 - England (5)

3 - Spain (3)

----------------

9 - Australia (17)

After leaving this to a side and concentrating on my Fulham game, I finally decided to go back and to push on tho the Asian Cup and then further still to the 2014 World Cup. Unfortunately, due to the save becoming corrupt in some way shape or form, it is the end of one of my most enjoyable saves. Thanks for everyone's support and advice, particularly during the World Cup. Here is a final stats round up from my time in charge of Australia. My attention will now swich to my Fulham career entitled The Future Kings of London. Your ongoing support there would be much appreciated

P	W	D	L	F	A	GD
26	21	3	2	78	23	+55

T. Cahill	20
M. Bresciano 	10
B. Emerton	6
J. Kennedy	5
J. Culina	5
L. Wilkshire	4
N. Burns	3
N. Rukavytsya	3
J. Aloisi	2
L. Neill	2