W-M Discussion Thread. An attempt to recreate the historical formation.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you guys do when you are chasing for the winner. Like just now i had a game against 20th place Reggina, went 1-0 up then gave away a penalty before half time which they score. I was dominating all game, but I just couldn't get through. I felt like I should of gone more aggressive, but not really sure how I would of gone about doing it.

What do you guys do when you are chasing for the winner. Like just now i had a game against 20th place Reggina, went 1-0 up then gave away a penalty before half time which they score. I was dominating all game, but I just couldn't get through. I felt like I should of gone more aggressive, but not really sure how I would of gone about doing it.

Push Up. Play Through Middle. Forward runs to AM and DM's. If that doesnt work then increase tempo to max. Then all out attack team mentality (over-rides invidual mentalities).

My goals are coming from everywhere and no one really leads. Part of that, though, is due to injuries and whatnot my lineup has shifted around each game. Freddy Adu regularly gets free kick goals. The W and the DMCs all get shots in-rarely the other three. Goals I concede tend to come from corners. If my D-line is too far up I might get caught on a break or two.

I don't use OIs at all. Only had a few yellows in all my games so far. At least twice as many plus a straight red from my opponents.

I am getting offers from bigger teams. Gateshead might not be able to keep hold of their youthful American manager for long. I mean, can I really turn down a $3,500 per week extra if Crystal Palace or Bradford come a-calling? Should I?

I am thinking it would be fun to try to try to take the tactic on the road and apply it to a new squad...

Note: I am at the end of season 2 with just the FA Trophy game to play. Crystal Palace will be relegated to League One after the season. Gateshead will be in League Two next season.

Also wanted to mention that I do use the Ass Man to help me see what's going on. Since I don't yet have an eye for the sport and the ME in particular, it is really useful in interpreting what, if anything, I need to change.

If you can read the ME you don't need the Ass Man. If you can't, listen to him.

I have found that my ass man has seemed to get lazy as the season has gone on. Players that in early season games he suggested I force to their weak foot, were not mentioned in the pregame report later in the season. Is this something the game does to keep these guys from seeming redundant and I am supposed to remember that Obscurey McNonleague from Woking is all left-footed? Or is John Morling just becoming jaded at Gateshead?

Haha good choice.

Had a close shave when Roma switched to a 4-2-4... Put all defence and DMC's on Barrows and lowerd the Dline to about 9 on the slider (having previously had it on about 12/14). They did however manage to break me down in the 89th min to get to 1-1. But super Neddy saved me in the 94th min :D

With the 4-2-4, what do you feel is the most effective way to counter it?

Haha good choice.

Had a close shave when Roma switched to a 4-2-4... Put all defence and DMC's on Barrows and lowerd the Dline to about 9 on the slider (having previously had it on about 12/14). They did however manage to break me down in the 89th min to get to 1-1. But super Neddy saved me in the 94th min :D

Mikal, with my Gateshead side, I've taken to dropping my FR and FL back to ML and MR positions when I need to protect a lead against a 424. I happen to have retrained two Forwards from midfield positions so this works perfectly. Your solution might be different.

~Stew

My FR is a natural at MR and my FL is accomplished at both MR and ML, so that would work a treat for me as well... I will try this in future, thanks!

Also just got hammered 4-2 by Man United. Just couldn't handle them.

Haha good choice.

If you're feeling confident, try to push dline to high, set passing through the middle. Then, Set you wingforwards (FR and FL) to tight manmark the opposing fullbacks. Barrow the AMC's to set pressure on the opposing MC players, and you'll restrict your opponent to playing long balls towards your defenders and DMC players.

Using just this formation/tactic, if I win my next 2 game's Bolton (a) and WBA (h) I will have won the EPL after 33 games. This WM has been awesome. I have never gone through a season using one tactic. I used to use different tactics for different opponents, but this is the only one that has coped with them all. Thanks Mag_Man.

I agree, the WM is a brilliant tactic. Just thumped Spartak Moscow 6-0. My striker didn't score though, which was odd... What do you guys reckon are the best attributes for the main striker position? I have Trezeguet and Amauri, but neither can put the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis... They tend to drop quite deep as well, maybe that's something i need to look at.

Tried this tactic out yesterday, and I love it! The play is quite beautiful to watch, and the midfield 'box' functions far better than I anticipated.

And even better, due to the mentality settings (probably), my team forms a tight unit when defending, so 3 defenders is enough, giving the team so many options in attack.

Team USA Tripped Up by Mexico

It was a long day for Team USA at Estadio Azteca. Johnny Spector's controversial foul in the box at the 50' mark gave Mexico a penalty which they duly converted. That proved the difference as USA is dealt their first defeat in World Cup qualificiation at the hands of their bitter rivals 1-0.

If one was provided only the final score, they might be mislead to believe USA was in the game. All who watched the game, especially in person, know that USA did not belong on the field with Mexico today, and that is reflected in the statistical details. Manager Rick Dawson's unconventional throwback W-M formation, which had so far led USA to a near perfect record and a lofty #8 world ranking, was shredded by Mexico's 4-5-1. With six players positioned in the attacking half of the field to USA's five, Mexico bombarded USA's goal. Tim Howard is one of few USA players who deserves praise for holding the hosts scoreless in open play.

Here's a look at the key stats from the box score (I don't have image hosting services).

Mexico-USA

Shots 19-5

On Target 8-2

CCC 2-1

Possession 48-52

Corners 10-2

Free Kicks 18-12

Offsides 3-9

Passing % 62-62

Tackling % 93-87

Heading % 55-63

Possession breakdown

Mexico's third 8-14

Middle third 17-23

USA's third 24-14

When asked to comment, Dawson replied, "I don't understand. In real life, Mexico is a mess. They never play up to their talent. I made all the slider adjustments that normally fix our problems, but nothing changed. I even went to a 4-2-4 at the death to try and pull out an equalizer to no avail. I mean, why not? It always seems to work for the AI."

Members of the press were baffled by Dawson's comments and concerned that the heat had gotten to him.

USA currently stands at 4th in the Hexagonal after three games. The top four teams all have 6 points, but USA has the shortest goal difference at only +1.

Tried this tactic out yesterday, and I love it! The play is quite beautiful to watch, and the midfield 'box' functions far better than I anticipated.

And even better, due to the mentality settings (probably), my team forms a tight unit when defending, so 3 defenders is enough, giving the team so many options in attack.

Well there we go another convert....LOL. Heron who are you playing as?

I don't want to overreact, but that wasn't just a loss. I had the everloving tar beaten out of me. How am I supposed to reach World Cup glory if this is how I play against the good teams? Heading saved me. If I didn't win every header in my defending third, it would have been 4-0 easy.

The main problem, according to the ass man, was "misplaced way too many short passes." He was right, many of our passes seemed aimed at Mexico players. Mexico also closed down fast and won most every challenge. When they had the ball, they had no problem running up into attack and making a go at goal. I resisted closing down harder, because that's a philosophy point for me. I feel that OIs and high closing down compromise the integrity of the formation.

To correct the passing, I reduced tempo (and reduced and reduced, eventually ending up about halfway). At first I also instructed the players to play longer, but then the ass man told me I was misplacing too many long passes, so I stuck to tempo reduction.

He also commented about Mexico pushing forward. I moved my D-line farther back throughout the game but it didn't matter.

What do I do when an individual is said to be "getting burned all too often," or, "missing crucial interceptions?" Is my only option to substitute him? I had to use my subs for an injury and for two really tired midfielders.

I hope it's just a bad game exacerbated by injury and we return to form. I'm worried about what's going to happen in South Africa 2010 if this is an indicator of what to expect against quality opponents.

Well fdawsoniv, I would be proud of what you have achieved so far, it is harder to manage an international team than a club side as you cant go out and buy the best players and you are not working with them 24/7. As for your game against Mexico, it took a penalty to beat you, so you must be on the right track tactic wise. Keep up the good work, I think it will pay off.

Mackemforever posted on here a while ago and said that he put his tempo up to 18, I tried this and was very impressed with it. My players dont get caught in possession to much now, I also get the ball to my forwards quicker. So perhaps you can arrange some friendlies for the USA and test some of these theories. I had a problem with my full backs now and again punting the ball upfield when there were players around to pass to. Then I looked at my passing, yes it was on short so what was the problem, BUT, on the slider it goes from 1 (far left) to 6 and then goes to mixed, so I thought if it is on 6 then it will mean that the passing must have short with some mixed tendencies...I may be wrong...so I put the passing for my defence to around 3 and found that they did not punt it upfield and possibly lose me possession. Also how have you got your marking and closing down set as well. What formation did Mexico play against you?.

That's a good way to look at it. Even though we played fairly poorly in my estimation and were statistically dominated, the bottom line is Mexico needed the penalty to win. Was it good last-chance defending or poor finishing by Mexico? Does it matter? If we play our worst game and only lose by a penalty on the road against a Top 20 in the world opponent, can I really complain? Maybe there weren't any adjustments I could have made to lead to a win on this particular day. Maybe the adjustments I made saved me from losing 3-0. No way to know.

Responding to your direct questions . . .

I tried tempo 18 once and thought the team got sloppy on me, so I went back. Can't hurt to try again.

Didn't think of using friendlies. Can I just up and play a friendly in the gaps between qualifying games? Will I get anyone but minnows to play against? If it's not at least competitive, how can I truly test changes? How can I be sure my players will be available?

Did you move up to 3 or down to 3? My FBs are on 4 now. Is it possible they're looking for short passes only and will punt if no one's close, even if someone is wide open for a medium pass? I don't recall this being a specific problem but I do know my FBs aren't usually part of a building attack for me, so maybe it is.

Marking is zonal tight across the board. Closing down is 14 for the defense, 15 for the AMCs and wings, and 11 for the center ST.

Mexico played a strange formation that I'm not sure how to identify. It looked something like this:

------ST-----------

-AML-----AMC-AMR-

------MC--MC------

--------------------Center Line

--------------------

--DL--DC--DC--DR--

--------GK---------

I would think there should have been space for my attack to work with behind their midfield, but in practice they had so much possession in attack (seeing as I was outnumbered in that area) that I spent most of the game clearing danger.

It looks like 4-2-3-1, and normally I would play with tight marking and hard tackling on ST, and the 3 AMC and push up to around 15-16. When changing something like passing etc you have to give the players a few matches to get used to playing differently, usually around 5-10. As for your FB's if there is no team-mate close enough they will sometimes just punt it upfield. In a counter attacking side and this is a naturally counter attacking tactic, nearly all attacks start from defence. My goalkeeper is set to distribute to full back. I also have my DM/R as my playmaker, because this is Fabregas' natural position as a deep lying playmaker and this suits him very well. Check your mentality settings between your defence and DM's

Well there we go another convert....LOL. Heron who are you playing as?

Playing with Villa, second season. Acquired some new attacking talent, so my first choice team is:

GK Asenjo

DR de Silvestri

DC Curtis Davies

DL Molinari

DMC Veloso

DMC Beckham

AMC Guilherme

AMC Marquinhos

FR Alexis Sanchez

FC Rossi

FL A. Young

Hi Heron, I also have Asenjo, brill keeper and apparently gets better after a couple of seasons. I have Veloso and I play him with fabregas at DM. I play Rossi as an AMC as I have Adebayor as FC. If you want a brilliant DM that plays as a DC as well go for Fredrico Fazio from Sevilla. I have Fabregas as my DM/R and playmaker, I also have my goalkeeper to distribute to my FB/R and then my attacking play starts with Fabregas. Keep an eye on your throw in takers as these are set to your FB's and when you get a throw in by your oppomemts goal-line your FB's will take them and so will be out of position.

Fazio is a bit expensive, but we'll see how my budget is set if I make the UCL.

I haven't figured out the best set pieces instructions yet for this formation, especially the defensive ones. One thing I did do is set my goalie to distribute the ball to the defenders, so the DMC playmaker can start the play, instead of my quick (and small) strikers have to challenge for the ball.

Ernest, there is no download link for the tactic... People have just been uploading screenshots of how their team is set out to give others a base to work with really... Scrolled up the page and if you look at the post numbers from these quotes it should help you get started.

Post #268 and #426...
Thanks Toin, I have also found the following posts 97, 98, 105, 140.

I do not use a target man, but mag_man did and I think he set it up to run onto ball. I know his post is on here somewhere.

I do use a target man :) I was using run onto ball a lot but have switched into to feet. I find this brings my striker into play more and he releases the AMC/wingers.

fdawsoniv The problem with internationals only is that you are not getting very many games to tweak your tactic, what I sometimes do is just have a save for tactical creation and then transfer the tactic into my proper career game.

If I make a change it can take me about 5 games sometimes more before I decide I am happy or not with it.

GK is set to dist to DMC I think. I don't have playmaker at this time because no one stands out as deserving to have it. When I have used PM in other brief experiements with other teams with standout DMCs it seemed to be effective. I just need a better player to use it with.

Pushing up to 15-16 seems counterproductive to me. My d line was getting stretched thin and the ass man always had at least one comment about needing to pull back.

Archived