Speeding Up The Game, Help?

Ok, ive heard more than a few people say it takes them 4-5 hours to play a season. Typically it takes me 25 hours!

I have a good laptop, 3gb ram, nice video card etc...

Right now im only using one playable country and league (England, Prem). The slowdown seems to be waiting on the news and scores to finish, but I saw a thread here yesterday saying to disable news etc from the details section. I disabled all International and foreign leagues minus England, which I ticked to later stages... is that all I can do to get the game moving along?

Id like to play with more playable leagues and nations but im afraid if I tick those then the games will drastically slow. Ideally I just want to go from game to game until the transfer windows.

Any tips welcomed.

Do you have any other programs running at the same time as FM?

Not beyond my firewall and anti-virus.

Occasionally Ill run Firefox for tactic help or to visit the scouting sections during a transfer window, but generally no the only thing running is FM and my firewall and anti-virus.

As it processes what? If its while it processes score etc that's fine as I never browse around during that anyway.

Yeah scores. If you never browse around then maybe you should set it to fastest which will disable the option to browse around and increases the speed of the processing.

If you have McAfee, turn that off and play off-line. Its background running hogs ram.

Took me 2 years to realise this with FM07/08. Got Norton instead now.

I use AVG and Zone Alarm. I never play online. But, for some reason Steam starts every time I start FM. Whats up with that, why cant we just put the game in the tray and play from the machine?

I use AVG and Zone Alarm. I never play online. But, for some reason Steam starts every time I start FM. Whats up with that, why cant we just put the game in the tray and play from the machine?

You can play without steam running. Just go to C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\football manager 2009 and create a shortcut to your desktop to the fm.exe file in there. Then you can use that shortcut without worrying about steam.

Yeah scores. If you never browse around then maybe you should set it to fastest which will disable the option to browse around and increases the speed of the processing.

Cool I will try that. I never browse during the scores.

BTW, when I disabled the details of Internationals and Foreign leagues, what exactly will be the change? (ie no more waiting for those scores?)

You can play without steam running. Just go to C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\football manager 2009 and create a shortcut to your desktop to the fm.exe file in there. Then you can use that shortcut without worrying about steam.

Excellent. I get ****ed every time I have to start the game and exit out of Steam. Why would they make the game run that way by default?

Cool I will try that. I never browse during the scores.

BTW, when I disabled the details of Internationals and Foreign leagues, what exactly will be the change? (ie no more waiting for those scores?)

It means they will process much faster due to highlights of them not being saved.

Excellent. I get ****ed every time I have to start the game and exit out of Steam. Why would they make the game run that way by default?

That only happens if you chose to activate the game via steam. If you had chosen Uniloc to activate it like I did then you don't need steam at all.

So to what degree does database size, playable leagues determine how fast or slow a game will play?

I have a good system, id like to play with all leagues in England, Spain and Italy and a medium to large database..

Well it plays a big part. What speed processor have you got?

Well it plays a big part. What speed processor have you got?

I couldnt tell you, because this is the first AMD processor ive ever owned and I dont know its conversion as compared to Intel etc. But i cross checked it with a couple of the tech guys in my office and they said its top notch.

You could also change the priority via the taskmanager, in the applications tab select FM09, then right click and select "go to process" Then the process is displayed in the processes tab. Now right click on the process for FM09 (iirc it is called fm.exe) and select set priority, then you can select: normal, above normal, high and realtime.

With these options you will see a increase of speed.

Better not to select realtime, then all your system resources go to FM and you can't basically do anything else. I normally have it set to High and found that my game works better/faster without having my system being crap when browsing the internet during the game.

You could also change the priority via the taskmanager, in the applications tab select FM09, then right click and select "go to process" Then the process is displayed in the processes tab. Now right click on the process for FM09 (iirc it is called fm.exe) and select set priority, then you can select: normal, above normal, high and realtime.

Better not to select realtime, then all your system resources go to FM and you can't basically do anything else. I normally have it set to High and found that my game works better/faster without having my system being crap when browsing the internet during the game.

Awesome! Will try that!

I have 2gb ram & i find the processing of results is really slow.

In my prefs my processing is at fastest (can't interupt)

In the game detail I have selected 'Minimum'

I only run premiership, Championship, L1 & L2

I don't run anything else in the background & I don't even have the internet at the moment

I have also give my computer a defrag

Is it due to the fact I only have 2GB ram that it runs really slow or do you reckon the priority in the task manager will make any difference?

I have 2gb ram & i find the processing of results is really slow.

In my prefs my processing is at fastest (can't interupt)

In the game detail I have selected 'Minimum'

I only run premiership, Championship, L1 & L2

I don't run anything else in the background & I don't even have the internet at the moment

I have also give my computer a defrag

Is it due to the fact I only have 2GB ram that it runs really slow or do you reckon the priority in the task manager will make any difference?

I have a 2GB as well and a Intel Core2 CPU T7600 @ 2.33GHz on a laptop and since I have set the priority to high it runs fine.

Archived