What qualifies someone to be 'foreign' in the Russian Premier Division?

Hi all,

I am the new manager of CSKA Moscow and I was just wondering what a 'foreigner' is because you are only allowed 5 per match squad and I currently have a lot of them, which is not good for the balance of the squad. Does foreign mean anything outside of Russia or does it mean a 'non-EU' person?

Cheers for your responses,

pcmeister

I just looked at my squad and it appears that non-Russian means 'foreign', as I have a Pole, a Czech, and a Ukranian in my squad who I would not call foreign (just because of the close proximity of the nations) but they are.

It would be Non EU player, if Russia were in the EU.

As far as I'm aware, Foreign in the Russian leagues means not a Russian. This might not apply to former Soviet territories, such as the Ukraine.

Ukrainians are foreign in Russia. In real life, ethnic Russians in various former Soviet states probably qualify as Russian, but I don't know if SI have incorporated this. Also, if you happen to have a player from Abkhazia or South Ossetia (which are technically in Georgia), they would have Russian passports. The only countries that matter for the game really are Russia and Belarus. If you don't have nationality for those two countries, you'll be foreign in Russia.

Latvia, Lithuania .. they clame to not be Russian any more so i guess they would be foreign also?

They are completely independent countries, and EU member states. They are foreign in Russia. In real life, there are ethnic Russians in both countries who probably don't qualify as foreign, but I don't know if the game would reflect that. As I keep saying, a player wil be foreign in Russia unless he has Russian or Belarussian nationality.

Anybody who isn't Russia, or has Russian as a 2nd nationality.
This is the correct answer. I'm also managing in the Russian Premier League at the moment :p

It's close to being the right answer, but it misses out the fact that people from Belarus aren't foreign in Russia.

If you load Belarussian players, you should get a few who are good enough for the Russian league. Quite a few Belarussians do ply their trade in Russia.

On FM07, when I managed Dinamo Moscow, my best player was a Belarussian.

When I played as Zenit we were only allowed five foreign players. However, Lokomotiv Moscow regularly played seven foreigners. I checked every non-russian player for 2nd nationality and none were Belarussian. I think you should check this if you are playing in Russia as this seems to be very unfair. P.s. Lokomotiv were top and Zenit were second when I stopped playing.

When I played as Zenit we were only allowed five foreign players. However, Lokomotiv Moscow regularly played seven foreigners. I checked every non-russian player for 2nd nationality and none were Belarussian. I think you should check this if you are playing in Russia as this seems to be very unfair. P.s. Lokomotiv were top and Zenit were second when I stopped playing.

That seems very strange because in my game some teams are fielding grey players to stay under the foreigner limit.

BTW, it needs to be fixed that foreigners in Russia "see no benefit" to apply for Russian nationality. It will help you get playing time FFS!

I just looked at my squad and it appears that non-Russian means 'foreign', as I have a Pole, a Czech, and a Ukranian in my squad who I would not call foreign (just because of the close proximity of the nations) but they are.

How can somebody not be foreign when they are from a different country?

(Discounting second nationalities)

How can somebody not be foreign when they are from a different country?

(Discounting second nationalities)

Archived