Tactical Central and Insight: Implementing Tactics for FM09

I have been testing these tactics for a week now with three different

Note: I was going to put in all three of my saves in the above format but i did not want the feed back to be long winded. This conclusion is not just from 18 games, but compiled from 3 different leagues in too different countries. If you would like me to put my other to saves in the above format then please let me know and i will be happy to do so

The midfield issue I think is known to the SI. I also had problems but I think it had something to do with set-piece instructions. I usually had the more attacking midfielder on offensive set piece instructions and I changed a 'go forward' to 'stay back if needed' and he seemed to pick up (before this he would drop from a 7.0 to a 6.1 without touching the ball, in his stats, in any way). Can't be sure this has anything to do with it, but the ones that have downloaded the tactics could report on the +3 Mnt MC how they generally perform (as I have included this small change in them). Usually I would check out how he handles Run With Ball later in matches, because it is not all AMC's that can play well with this setting.

I know that when people attempt The Arsene it won't always work at the start of a season, maybe due to your players match form or to players adjusting to High Pressure settings might take a couple of matches. I think it is important to play with this tactic as a great squad. In a Barcelona game I was playing I lost only once at home (to Bilboa) and it wasn't before the 60-70 minute I actually noticed that it was raining, so at least I knew why (0-1), and the change I was forced to make didn't get me the goal I felt I deserved. I played it pretty much in all home matches the whole season. I think it is necessary to have a Striker set-up that offers some element (swapping postions or free role-hold up ball combination... these type of tweaks) when attacking.

Otherwise I would say by your w/d/l it seems that you are getting close to maximising results. You might encounter a time where the tactics might struggle when the AI attempts to play very tactical against you and I would advise you (as Tottenham and those players mentioned) to keep The Arsene close by for home matches. Remeber that The Capello and The Anchelotti are quite high class tactics (which require a 'gelled' and talented squad) so they might function later on. Even changing a few places on the team might have minor effects but not as much as you would have if you change out your entire midfield, for example. Some individual players take an incredibly long time to 'gell' (style of play, language, adapting atributes, ect) so I would always look at the form of some of the newer players and try to get an idea how they are doing.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've really enjoyed this thread Loversleaper, and the fresh take it has on creating a tactical set. I thought I could return something to the thread with a variation on the Argentina which I've used to great success with middle and strong teams. I pair it with a variation of the Benitez for more difficult games or wet conditions, and with some ingame tweaking, took everything in 9.2.0. Remember, this is a variation of the original Argentina, so ***set up as instructed in the first posts by Loversleaper*** (mentality, etc..) unless otherwise mentioned.

The Argentina of the Ivory Coast:

Mentality: (15)

Creative Freedom: (15)

Passing: (5)

Tempo: (10)

Width: (16)

Closing Down: (20)

Time-wasting: (3)

Defensive Line: (15)

Additional Instructions:

1. Play Offside, Tight Marking.

2. DCs: passing: 12, closing down: 7

3. FBs: passing: 6-7 and

4. Play with power-fullbacks (fwd runs often, run with ball often, cross from byline) if possible.

5. Swap position for 2 MCs, 2 Strikers in a 4-4-2, or just 2 strikers in a diamond.

6. If playing with a 4-4-2, use an MCa and MCd (see notes)

7. If playing with a diamond, drop the AMC's mentality a bit to serve as an MCa of sorts.

8. Strikers: Split strikers (see further notes)

Notes:

Split the MCa and MCd as follows: "The Central Midfielder: In the 4-4-2 I usually implement a more defensive minded player with a Mentality setting of (2) less than the team and a more offensive minded one with a Mentality setting of (1) more than the team setting." Its only 1 more for the MCa because its a very attacking tactic.

MCd: Try Through Balls Often, Mentality: 13

MCa: Mentality: 16

Split the strikers as follows:

FCa: Run With Ball Often.

FCd: Hold Up Ball.

No mentality variation, which is strange, but it somehow works a treat. This is basically LL's initial setup. If you want to experiment with the strikers based on your personnel, I think they are the most flexible of the setup. Free Role, or split mentalities should be fine.

The Original Argentina (by Loversleaper):

Mentality: (15)

Creative Freedom: (10)

Passing: (5)

Tempo: (7)

Width: (10)

Closing Down: (16)

Time-wasting: (5)

Defensive Line: (11)

Goal Keeper Distribution 'defender collect'.

Loversleaper's Original Instructions:

The reason I chose this tactic: As Watford I was going to play Fulham on Home Field. Favorite Match-Odds. Sunny weather.

This is the general settings that are good for all those teams out of the *World Class Elite* when on home ground. Even as slight underdog you should be implementing these type of settings on home ground. You can see that you are not too Wide (10) but still Closing Down all around the pitch (16) and the tempo + passing works well together. Creative Freedom (10) holds your team more in position to minimize chances of mistakes, but be aware of weather conditions (as usual when you want to play shorter passing).

General effects on the Match stats: your opposition will get some chances but you should generally be doing better in all departments. A typical 2-1 result tactic, but geneally you should be winning by a goal or two.

So, is this variation of the Argentina for you? I don't know. Here's what I managed with it. Unbeaten run to win the World Cup, including a 5-1 tonking of Mexico and 1-0 over Spain to win it with the Ivory Coast. I played this tactic straight through, except one rainy day where I switched to a variation of the Benitez.

ivorycoast3az8.th.png

ivorycoast3az8.th.png

The usual considerations apply: Increase time wasting towards the end. Tweak tempo and passing length to adjust for opponent strength and weather conditions. Use Power fullbacks at your own risk. Speaking of which, one brilliant thing about attacking fullbacks: Offside. Its easier to prevent the 1v1s when your fullbacks aren't caught 'back', so the tradeoff here may be more defensive than it looks.

I came up with the offside setting by accident actually. Have you noticed how easy it is to click on the checkboxes for offsides, targetman, etc... by clicking anywhere in the region? Well, that's how that happened. But it does work nicely. Dumb luck that. I hardly ever use it ordinarily!

You can play without offside or tight marking, but I'd consider not playing with power fullbacks if you're not going to play with the offside trap. Yet, it is indeed better to give up the tactic entirely if your high line is run ragged, generally. Switch immediately to something counter-attackish if you see more than one or two devastations of your D-Line resulting in a CCC. Like any tactic, if the opposition does get the ball and does escape your tackles, you may well go behind a goal. The Argentina isn't the best tactic for recovering from going down. Its far better at building on a lead and holding it. So you'd do well to pair this with at least one other tactic, or know how to tweak effectively.

Just in case you think this would only work with the Arsenals of the world, I also went 2nd to Boca Juniors in my first year in the Argentine 1st Division using mainly this tactic with Atletico Tucaman. I'd just gotten promoted after being predicted 20th in the 2nd division the year before! So my squad was quite ungelled and full of dottering free transfers from all over S. America. But the table tells the tale:

argentinepremierdivisionq4.th.png

The key with a lower level team and The Argentina is to know just how short a passing game you can get away with, IMO. The more that teams consider you something of a threat, the better it works to keep it short. Once the first goal goes in (for you, presumably!), its something of a lock as most teams cannot disrupt your nonexistent backline. Yes, its one of those "Defend through Attacking" tactics, but it doesn't score bags and bags of goals. It scores enough. :)

Probably I would fine tune the Closing Down a bit more to refine this tactic. It certainly isn't 'finished'. It isn't a panacea either, but that is a good thing.

In closing, one of the most delightful aspects of the Argentina (either variation), besides the beautiful 1-touch football it produces, is the amount of fantastic free-kick opportunities and corners it generates. These in turn produce goals, goal-opportunities, and possibly cards for the opposition (not get well cards either). This 'turns the screw' as the game progresses and may well play into the tactics tendency to be extremely reliable once ahead. As teams try to recover, they foul you... often in their own half (since you're pressing up). Some would say 'Delightful'. A Manager would say 'Devious' I think :).

I hope the above is something of a contribution Loversleaper. If its just a distraction PM me and I'll put it in its own thread. I really like the 'spine' of your tactical set and have had many good hours improvising from there....

-Smack

Smac: I would like to thank you for sharing your insight and you (as all others) can easily contribute to the post, regardless. When you look at the tactics one will see almost immediatly the simple methods I used to create them and test them. I took the first step and from here they can be modified but the reason I didn't is because I could go on for ever making tactics suit the teams more on a personal level and decided to leave them to the user which could help them understanding building tactics in the long run.

The idea behind the post was to illustrate more how to start out basic and at the same time by showing the 'variety' that can be used to create workable tactics. It is not a magical combinations we are dealing with and I am glad you took the time your insight as it varified exactly this point. You can easily make your own post with better tactics and even though you have used this post as a 'platform' you don't have to give any credits as long as it helps the new 'generation' of FM Gamers, which is the main issue behind all of us that take time to write tactical threads.

As long as people take the small 'tactical rules' into consideration and have understood how to deal with 'mentality' then I think it would only benefit the whole community. You can always use me as a 'sparing' partner as long as you need me, and you can contact me one way or the other. Thanks again and keep up the good work...

@Smac

good post smac. your tactic is almost exactly the same as my own, and it worked apart from the tricky away games. but loversleaper's guide helped me sort that out aswell.

only difference is i started off with 'staggered mentality', or the role theory as it is know. then switched to global. which i find helped the most as it keeps the team tighter which is better for short passing.

from what i understand is it only your strikers and mc's that have individual mentalities?

as for offside, i think if you are using a high d line, then it works well with it.

have you tried it out with any other teams? in tougher leagues like premiership.

Asim,

I've tried it with Barcelona, Man U, Ivory Coast, Sabadell (Spanish 3rd div), and Atletico Tucaman. But I've not spent whole seasons with it in the top leagues yet.

I only split mentality on the MCs

The strikers just have other variations like HUP, runs with ball, free role, etc., depending on their talents. The reason for this I think is that this provides a tradeoff. By having equal mentalities either striker may be the threat, target, etc.., which puts the defense in a dilemma occasionally. So I view this as actually something of a variation on striker roles rather than an abdication of the theory.

How does your tactic differ?

sorry i must have misread your post, in my tactic i have both mc's on same mentality as team, and i have them both on Hold up Ball and try and make then sit in the middle and use the wingers to attack more. i have made sure they have the right attributes. as loversleaper suggested, i have dc -3 mentality and strikers +3. as for the striker settings, i use the same as LL suggested, except i like 1 fast striker, who is decent in the air to play with a more skillfull and creative player. for the creative player i have set to free role and run with ball often, he usually scores 25 goals.

as for team settings, i use a bit less creative freedom, less closing down and a bit more time wasting, i find with a normal or slow tempo this helps to control the game more. i also have the passing on shortest (1).

away from home i play narrower and a bit more mixed/direct passing.

i also like my full backs to attack, i usually set forward runs often and run with ball mixed, this usually makes them overlap wingers.

Brilliant post and brilliant tactics. The best I have seen on FM 09. They are successful and a joy to watch. Thank you very much Loversleaper. You are in the same mould as WWFAN, and an old tactician called George (something), who used to post CM tactics several years ago.

From your passing setting Asim, I'd guess you're playing with a top side?

And I tweak tempo and width, d-line, and closing down as well for away/hard games. But generally I switch to another tactic entirely if I'm not getting a good passing rythm going before 20 minutes.

Loversleaper, I'm using the benitez framework more or less every game with Sheffield utd, I noticed when using the kilgallon/morgan partnership I would ship goals with a high DL, unfortunately the way I also concede now is from a ball over the top to a quick striker. Any ideas?

CB's are on loose man marking, fullbacks are on tight zonal.

Loversleaper, I'm using the benitez framework more or less every game with Sheffield utd, I noticed when using the kilgallon/morgan partnership I would ship goals with a high DL, unfortunately the way I also concede now is from a ball over the top to a quick striker. Any ideas?

CB's are on loose man marking, fullbacks are on tight zonal.

I don't think it is advisable to use only one mentality-framework for home and away. For me, tight marking is something the whole team must do (or not do) together so not to unbalance the formation. I don't like the effects of man marking and have chosen to avoid it. Ball's over the top can be due to several things. At home you could experience this because you are not 'attacking' enough (Mentalities, Closing down, ect...) and away you might be too far up the pitch. I don't know if you made your own version or if you have downloaded the one in this post. If you didn't download then you could always compare them and see if you have 'over-advanced' a setting somewhere as I think you have done with the Defensive set-up you explained.

Very true, but the reason I don't change it is because we still make plenty of good chances, and I don't want to go to attacking and push even further up.

I've since narrowed the width to about 9 and started using short passing. I've had 3 wins and 3 clean sheets so its not going to bad at the moment.

I found this post very helpful .. I am playing Boston United in defuges challenge. I have use TT&F, both i think a couple points you have made have been helpful. I have used the Benitez, Milan and Anchelotti to a great effect. One change I have made is going away for the global mentalities and have used TT&f mentalities (bands of 2) and I have got good results. Alot more chances. I think having a consistent passing and limiting forward run has given me better quality chances.

With a 4-4-2 One difference is a two strike combination with one strike set to mixed Fwd runs/often run with ball and the other strike often Fwd Run/Mixed run with ball have been a good combo.

I tried the athletico and I got killed with that tactic, took on way too much pressure.

so this is how i have used them :

Anchelotti: away from home, big underdog at home 4,4,2 -- 5,3,2 (w/sweeper) very effective this way, a close up shop variation 4-1-4-1

Benitez: 4-4-2 or occasionally 4-1-4-1 basic default at home, favored away

Milan: 4-4-2 big favorite at home, or behind and need a goal

again using TT&F mentality rather then the Global

I deffinatly improved in The CC2 this last season going from 18th to 10th

Loversleaper - I've just seen your post and it got me thinking about knowing when the ai is attacking or defending, so i started my save game with crystal palace and i had a league cup final against portsmouth to play. I'm using the tactical presets that cleon made but what i've done is put everyone's mentality the same. In the last 5 games before the final i hadn't conceeded a goal which is good. Back to the final - i took the lead on 25 mins and i kept attacking and creating chances which was good. I came in at half-time 1-0 up. The second half started and i noticed that portsmouth was having more shots and possession (attacking) so i remember what you were saying in your post and i decided to put the mentality of the players up to notches to 13 ( 40% def and 60% attacking) and the def line up 2 notches to push up on them. The good news is - straight away i stopped them creating their second wind, i regained control of the match again and i even scored another goal!! end result 2-0 and another clean sheet.

Conclusion - I'm pleased because i saw the problem, done something about it with your help and most importantly in played out in the match engine (The players done what i asked them) So thankyou very much. Also my star striker that has all the stat but couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo is finally started scoring for fun!!!

Okay, started reading this and was highly intrigued half way through, so figured I would give it a go. Downloaded the tactics, loaded them in and started with Chelsea for the sake of trial and error at this point.

So far I am 16 game's into the season and have gone clear at the top by 4 points with 12 win's and 4 draw's so far. What is getting to me is the lack of goal's coming from the striker partnerships I've been trying (playing off the 4-4-2). At this point I'm mostly relying on my wingers pulling in and getting a decent shot of with my strikers only sometimes coming right (even though I generally give them the same instructions all the time).

Only really wanted to ask how you would set up an attack with Drogba, Anelka and Paloschi (substitute mostly). Because at the moment I have Drogba playing the target man role, holding the ball up and have Anelka/Paloschi set to free role around him. If I am using Paloschi and Anelka I generally have them swapping positions with the one on a free role.

Now is it just them taking time adjusting to the formation still or is it a sign of me needing better players that they aren't scoring? Or should I look into changing the instructions they have?

Loversleaper the work you have done here is awesome.

I was struggling hard with FM09 being new to the FM series... there is just so much to take and although I love watch football I am no where near being a tactical guru. Reading your thread has help me grasp the basics and now I can watch a match and understand where the AI (ME) is changing their tactics.

I am playing a Cambridge United season and following your simple instructions has seen "The U's" win 6 straight, often not dominating the entire match but converting real chances into goals.

I do have one questions...

Do you have one ST holding up the ball... its not selected in your tactics but is does mention it in the first post? I have been playing around with HUB but I cannot see and real change in performance when selected.

Intercept: I don't know how well Anelka can handle a free-role, because usually it requires a more Forward type. You could try and swap positions in the Anelka/Drogba concelation and see if they pick up. Somehow it is usually the strikers and the attacking midfield (flair players) that play under-standard at times and you need to go to the press (player-interaction) and tell them that you are disappointed with their form. This usually picks up their game...

Deano: I left things basic so that the User can choose a Striker set-up that fits the team. Hold on ball requires a lot of strength, but at that level you are playing I generally wouldn't give players too many instructions. Maybe you have to take away Run With Ball from the left Striker and play generally more simple instuctions. It is important to give the Striker the right instructions that compliments the type he is...

Very true, but the reason I don't change it is because we still make plenty of good chances, and I don't want to go to attacking and push even further up.

I've since narrowed the width to about 9 and started using short passing. I've had 3 wins and 3 clean sheets so its not going to bad at the moment.

Make that 8 straight wins!

Seriously, that tactic is good both home and away. Stuck with direct passing in the end though.

here's a quick update on my game. As i said i used the templates that cleon gave out but what i did was just change everyone mentality to team. I can't believe it. I won the league again, the league cup and the champions league against arsenal. The only changes i made in match were mentality and defensive line. Stunning!!!

achivementslv3.jpg

leaguetablemk3.jpg

I also had the best defensive record in the league only conceeding 34 goals.

firstteamsquadep6.png

It's not a world-class squad as you can see. I think global mentality really works.

This guy has been scoring goals for fun tbh. Great goalscoring.

ederhg8.jpg

As i've said all i've done is changed mentality and defensive line when the opposition were either attacking too much or defending too much.

here's a quick update on my game. As i said i used the templates that cleon gave out but what i did was just change everyone mentality to team. I can't believe it. I won the league again, the league cup and the champions league against arsenal. The only changes i made in match were mentality and defensive line. Stunning!!!

What templates from Cleon are you speaking of?

Hi Loversleaper!

Im a big fan of this thread and your tactics made fm09 enjoyable for me. :thup:

But i have a big problem. Im playing with Roda Kerkrade in my second season in eredivisie. I always dominate my matches. But my wins are always 1:0, 2:0, 2:1. Even if i play in matches where i am really big favorit with 20,0 quote i cant get great results. :(

Problem is in matches where i dont score, the opponent only needs 1 good chance to knock my team out. It dont count that i have 12 chances with 7 on goal, they get the 3 points and i cant do anything against it.

Something that i realised: My winger often cross the ball from one side of the penalty area to the other. They cross the ball over my strikers away. I only score after crosses when the other winger goes into the box and get the ball. Is it because of the tactic or my players.

Sorry for my school-english. Im from Germany. ;)

I've posted this in the Tacgrabber thread, but with hindsight this thread would have been more suitable -

Can someone please tell me, in managers stats, how to interpret these fields -

use of playmaker, offside, mark and free roles?

I assume up to a certain level means yes or no, but what about marking (zonal/man, tight/loose) and free roles (how many)?

And, lastly, if 0 is entered in one of the fields does that mean random?

Thank you for any help.

achivementslv3.jpg

leaguetablemk3.jpg

firstteamsquadep6.png

It's not a world-class squad as you can see. I think global mentality really works.

ederhg8.jpg

As i've said all i've done is changed mentality and defensive line when the opposition were either attacking too much or defending too much.

Ron, what skin is that mate?

achivementslv3.jpg

leaguetablemk3.jpg

firstteamsquadep6.png

ederhg8.jpg

Of course it may be my maths, but the league table suggests that the second placed team actually scored more points than the first placed team - check out the number of wins and draws. I make it that Palace only got 80 points, not 85. So may not be the tactic that is so successful!!

Guest josh9393
Of course it may be my maths, but the league table suggests that the second placed team actually scored more points than the first placed team - check out the number of wins and draws. I make it that Palace only got 80 points, not 85. So may not be the tactic that is so successful!!

you are dead right, how did that happen?

Had great success with Liverpool.

Had the midfield problem with the MCa. Simply put him (Gerrard/Diarra) on RWB Often and the performances picked up alot.

I use Torres and Bojan, both on RWB Often and they are averaging 7.3/7.4. Have them swapping about.

Only issue is the Big Striker/Small Striker combination !

Loversleaper. I would like to try and make a tactics set specifically for Hull City. I have gone into the editor and I find that there are not any tactical settings at all, they are all on zero. The formation settings are at "not set". Manager Phil Browns settings have attack,depth and flamboyancy all on 0. can you advise on how best to proceed, please? Kind regards.

Loversleaper. I would like to try and make a tactics set specifically for Hull City. I have gone into the editor and I find that there are not any tactical settings at all, they are all on zero. The formation settings are at "not set". Manager Phil Browns settings have attack,depth and flamboyancy all on 0. can you advise on how best to proceed, please? Kind regards.

ok i have created phil browns tactics for ya

phil brown global tactic

Loversleaper, I have made tactics based on the 4-3-3/4-5-1 (AMR-AML version) where I set your tactics (every single one of them) in to this formation. I have uploaded on mediafire but are not sure whether the link works.

I wonder if you have time to test these and see if they are in relation to your preferences. They worked well the time I tested them but we are talking about limited testing in one season. I would like some feedbacks from you, or with anyone else who finds desire to try these tactics. I repeat this is 4-3-3/4-5-1 based on Loverspeapers tactics but with some tweeks so that they are more suited to 4-3-3/4-5-1.

Upload link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?rmrz2nqg4zj

no worries dude, let me know how you get on with it

Loversleaper and yourself have really got me into making my own formation/tactic. I intend using my second choice game team, which is Chester City. I have gone into the official in game editor, not the FMRTE editor, and found Chester's team tactical attributes. Also, I have found Mark Wright's tactical attributes. These two items have given me some questions to ask.

1. Do the team tactical attributes represent a "defensive", "standard" or "attacking" mode?

2. Mark Wright's tactical attributes have no value for "def. line", "creative freedom", "tempo" or "width". Is there a set procedure for inserting the missing values or is it guesswork/trial and error? The same question applies to ascertaining the three tactical settings in question one. I am assuming that the Chester team tactical attributes are for the "standard" setting. They are : Ment. 12. D.L. 5. P.S. 16. C.F. 4. C.D. 9. T.W. 15. Tmp. 14. and Wdth. 14.

I am assuming that by looking at other tactics within the forums, I could "borrow" some of their settings to logically and sensibly fit in with Mark Wright's missing ones. His tactical attributes are: Ment. 11. D.L. 0. P.S. 20. C.F. 0. C.D. 11. T.W. 14. Tmp. 0. and wdth. 0.

Any and all assistance from you pundits will be gratefully received. Kind regards.

I was thinking of showing some images from a Watford game which I have been playing during the whole tactical set-up part. I will post some examples but if there are any games from my fixtures list that anyone would like to see/discuss then feel free to ask. This is a 'raw' version and I probably could have done some things better, but went though a lot of trial/error to get where I am at.

Leagues: England, Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Portugal, Holland, Denmark

Season1:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5391/season1watfordco3.jpg

Season2:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8756/season2watfordps1.jpg

Season3:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5975/season3watfordkv0.jpg

Season4 (so far):

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5172/season4p1watfordzc8.jpg

As you can see I have been slowing building my team up and it looks like this season I will become a stabil top side. This season I only have two new players in the team (Felliani & Song) but both of them have been in England for a while so they quickly gelled as match stats are getting better.

Fixture-list (season4 so far):

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2056/season4p1fixtureswatforue3.jpg

A couple of matches to start with and I will explain what I did during the match:

Aston Villa - Watford :http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7733/avwfcseason4kb1.jpg

Dry weather, slight under-dog. Started out with The Capello but I went behind quickly, so I changed up to The Italy. We controlled the game and equalised, I was so pleased with how we played that I let them carry on playing The Italy. We went 2-1 up on the 37 minute mark and started out with no changes in the second half. I noticed, pretty quickly, that Aston was trying to put me underpressure so I changed down to The Capello again. This wasn't having the effect that I wanted so I felt forced to go down to The Athelitco(6), gained total controll once more and scored twice in the last ten minutes on counter-attacks.

Watford - Milan :

Fomations:http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/460/wfcacmformationviewac5.jpg

Match-stats: http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/548/wfcacmmatchstatsyu1.jpg

Dry weather, slight-underdogs. I started with The Argentina and since Milan are playing a 4-3-3 with pushed-up wingers I have started the game with the Defensive Fullback (no FwR, no RwB, cross=deep). I went in front after 5 minutes and then I noticed Milan wanted to get back in the game and they have quality to do so. I changed down to The Italy and scored emmediatly to 2-0, and from then on I didn't need to change a thing and kept on punishing them, pulling off the best result of the game yet.

I feel that this team is going to get stonger and stronger, and I have been through all the Manager Stages (explained in the Tailoring-Tactics post#2). I, of course, have done plenty of mistakes along the way and am still learning but recently I feel that I am in total controll. I will be playing mostly attacking fomations from now on, and if I can keep the stabilty in the club I will soon be pressing for honours. Any game now or in the future (I will update the fixture list and throw in a game now and then) people wish to discuss or a current game you would like to have advice on please feel free as I have some time on my hands the next couple of days or so...

1. depends where the mentality slider is 4 would be defensive while 18 attacking

2. i cant get him in my game setup ?? is he still a player at beginning of game.

I am indebted to you once more, stvndysn, thanks. Mark Wright is the Chester manager only. I just went into the in game editor and clicked on his name within the City team.

I am now assuming that the Chester team tactics attributes represent the "standard" setting. I shall now attempt to make the other two settings based upon that, using as much information as I can find within the forums. After I have done them, I may even try to post screenshots for appraisal. I should add that my previous attempts at screenshots have been woeful, to say the least. Kind regards.

Hi guys!!

First of all i want to say thank you to Loversleaper for his very intersting guide!! i really agree with you when you set to all team forward runs on mix for not lose the team unit.

Anyway i have some doubt about the strikers. Probally i do some mistakes to choose the right tactic for the matches, but my strikers don't score more goals like yours specially away from home.

Another question is about your match with Watford versus Aston Villa.. you say that when you go under by one goal, you change tactics from Capello to Italy and i can't belive you control the game after this change. Yes, the width of the team influence a lot about the performance of the team, but the mentality also. So i want some explaination about this change.

Thanks a lot!

bye ;)

Hi guys!!

First of all i want to say thank you to Loversleaper for his very intersting guide!! i really agree with you when you set to all team forward runs on mix for not lose the team unit.

Anyway i have some doubt about the strikers. Probally i do some mistakes to choose the right tactic for the matches, but my strikers don't score more goals like yours specially away from home.

Another question is about your match whit Watford versus Aston Villa.. you say that when you go under by one goal, you change tactics from Capello to Italy and i can't belive you control the game after this change. Yes, the width of the team influence a lot about the performance of the team, but the mentality also. So i want some explaination about this change.

Thanks a lot!

bye ;)

The point of me showing season 4 with Watford is that I am showing the transition from a normal-good team into the World-Class status. The last three seasons I was changing players frequently but here in season4 I finally have the opertunity to stabilise the squad.

The Aston Villa game I was slight underdog, but wanted to show that I should have played The Anchelotti instead and before I could change I went down 1-0. The Benitez and The Italy are attacking tactics away from home for good teams (I have qualified for CL) so this was my natural choise, and I took control if the game. I just wanted to point out that my team is on the verge of having the quality to play more attacking football. I think soon (a month or so) my team will be ready to play mostly The Arsene for home matches and The Italy away, but the transition periode is a little tricky and I wanted to experience this with some of the people following the post. I usually always go more attacking during matches when I feel that I am not getting enough out of the current tactic (match-stats). But The Italy only worked until Aston Villa really pushed forward and forced me to play The Athletico(6), which helped me gain controll of Aston Villa's attacking mechanism (settings/capability) which they didn't really implement in the first half.

I don't have problems with my strikers scoring, but I am generally more harsh on them in the press and team talks. I have them swapping positions to get away from the oposition man marking, and this works fine. My strikers usually score a little over 20 League goals a season, and I haven't had any real World-Class quality yet. I had a Barca game where Bojan/Etoo were just wild, and the set-up was the same.

I have read many guides and tactics , used many, some work, others don't. Some guides are more helpful than others.

Well this guide is one of the best and has helped me understand the FM game more.

On top of that the tactics work too.

Well, I have used Athletico 6 and Athletico 11 in FM 2008 (yes, 2008) and they have been a revelation. An average Scottish 3rd Div side (Stenhousemuir), are unbeaten in the league (4 wins in 5 games but we only won 9 in the whole of last season).

Thanks

A couple of more matches:

Manchester City - Watford: http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5428/mcwfcmatchstatss4tt9.jpg

Downpour and was slight underdog. Due to the Aston Villa game where I felt that I wasn't attacking enough (used The Capello) to over-ride the opponents defensive capability (settings) I have decided to see what effect The Anchelotti tactic would have for my team. It was a back and forth game until I scored and then I knew that Man C would really have a go at me. Rode the rest of the game out with The Athletico(6) tactic and punished them on the counter.

Watford - West Brom: http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3366/wfcwbas4matchstatspx0.jpg

Dry weather and was clear favorites. Now I am gearing myself up to start using The Arsene (High Pressure) but started the game playing The Argentina just to be safe and check progress in the match stats. Went 1-0 up already in the first 5 minutes and didn't need to make any changes rest of the game. When I went 2-0 up I knew I didn't have to worry about WBA using the 4-2-4.

Sporting L - Watford (CL): http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6952/slwfcs4clmatchstatsne0.jpg

Weather was shower and I was slight underdog. Now, this is the first season for Watford in the Champions League (CL), so naturally I am bottem of the pecking order. This has been the case in previous versions and I have decided to follow the trend. I started with The Athletico(6) and controlled the match going up by one. They scored on two set-pieces and turned the game on it's head (so to say). I changed up to The Benitez (better for wet matches) and got one back just before I was going to change to The England '66. They were lucky but still I am overperforming so far, I just have to remember to be more cautious tactically in the CL then I would be in the Premier League.

Future fixtures and possible tactical outlooks: http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6684/season4p2fixtureno9.jpg

Against Wigan at home weather should be dry and I will be clear favorite. Again I will start out with The Argentina and will look for the possiblity of implementing The Arsene. Generally with these type of opponents this will be the case.

Away to Fulham the forecast says most likely dry weather and I will be large favorites. Here I will look to play The Italy first most but will keep The Anchelotti close by just in case. I hope soon I will play as offensive as I can.

Home to Wolves in the League Cup I will be clear favorites. The weather should be fair and dry. If I decide to play the normal first team players I would definalty see how my team can deal with The Arsene (High Pressure) tactic. If I decide to rest most of the regulars I will definatly start with The Agentina and see how things go from there.

Home to Sporting L: Dry again and am slight favorite. The Argentina tactic presummably whole match.

Home to Arsenal: dry weather and slight underdog. I will most likely play The Argentina and possibly switch down to a Italy/Benitez if I go in front. It will be a season or two before I can play The Arsene against these type of opponents...

Archived