I just cannot understand

Ive been a lover of this game from its beginning, always enjoyed it but this edition has been frustrating. Ive been playing at first with AC Milan and then with Chelsea.

I cannot understand why in the first round of the league i win comfortably and attractive football, then from the second part of the season my team turn into a relegation candidate performances and results. its really frustrating, i dont know what im getting wrong. Its just that all of a sudden no passes connect, nor direct neither short, whatever i do goes wrong.. Lampard shoots in the sky, and the strikers shoot directly in the goalkeeper, and the defence gets beaten too easily...Perheps its just me, but im getting too nervous playing.

anyone else is in my situation?>

That has happened to me too. But I think it is because the AI "cracks" your tactics, or know how to play against it. If you start with new tactics at the beginning of the season no teams have any experience against it so they don't know what to do to counter it. But after you use the same tactic for a long time, they learn or "crack" the tactic thus your performances suffer. But yes it has happened to me too, especially when I find the perfect tactic and always use it, but after half a season or by the end it doesn't work. With Hull beat Liverpool 3-0 in the opening day fixture, but by December I lost to West Ham and Sunderland who were 19th and 20th respectively. I feel your frustration.

I dont understand this garbage game anymore. Why they had to make this game so ****ing hard?? Something really is wrong when you got a world class team and the best tactics at your disposal and also very much patience to boot and still loose to crapteams that score goals for fun against only you in the division. Now i can understand getting beaten in a hard battle against a similar world class team AND i can even take getting beaten by a crapteam but to not dominate against a crapteam is beyond my ****ing understanding.

I really tried my best to not dislike this game but i feel now my patience is running out. In fact, i am not only dissapointed in SI but also in myself for buying this piece of trash, despite this fact i will still keep this game as a reminder to never buy a FM game ever again. Goodbye and a happy new year!

Ive been a lover of this game from its beginning, always enjoyed it but this edition has been frustrating. Ive been playing at first with AC Milan and then with Chelsea.

I cannot understand why in the first round of the league i win comfortably and attractive football, then from the second part of the season my team turn into a relegation candidate performances and results. its really frustrating, i dont know what im getting wrong. Its just that all of a sudden no passes connect, nor direct neither short, whatever i do goes wrong.. Lampard shoots in the sky, and the strikers shoot directly in the goalkeeper, and the defence gets beaten too easily...Perheps its just me, but im getting too nervous playing.

anyone else is in my situation?>

When the formation in your manager profile changes to the formation you are currently using switch to a different formation. IE if you used 4-5-1 for 6 months and now it says 4-5-1 in your profile start using 4-3-2-1 instead.

This is an old trick that was useful in every FM so far. There are tons of players who will claim this has nothing to do with it, but the fact is that the abbrubt midd season slump is a fact and that by doing this you will avoid it.

I can understand your frustration but this is the same old story every year. People struggle, then they say "I never gone buy this game", but then in the end of the year they still bay it. Maybe because they finde out that there is no better football-strategy game out there.

I recommend to keep things simple and dont make this game more complex. Stick with a basics and dont change to much when your struggling. When struggling the best thing to do is to play little more cautious. Maybe 3-4 games just to get some draws, home and away, and you will see morale increase with your players. When morale is up then you can start playing more attacking. The thing is AI starts playing more cautious against you after half season, because you are most likely on the top of the table. Then they drag you out and hit you on the break. Then you feel frustrated and you go even more attacking, wich is wrong. Try playing more cautious in this situations and drag the opponent out of position. Because is hard to score when they park the buss in front of they own goal. It is logical. Also try to read the thread from Cleon and his Sheff U project, lots of good advice there:)

I have found that these slumps can be stopped before they become major with appropriate use of player/media interaction to keep morale high. As Jascko said, I would also play a slightly less adventurous tactic until your players get their confidence back. If there is a particular player who is underperforming - a midfielder missing all their passes or a striker who cant hit the goal for toffee, then dropping them for a few games can work wonders too. What I certainly wouldn't do is make wholesale changes to your tactic. If your team is struggling for form anyway, then trying to get them to play an unfamiliar formation is only going to make things worse

I cant believe you guys sometimes, i never struggled with previous fm's but this one is seriously ****ed up. The match engine is totally unpredictable and at the same time SI is trying there best releasing patches that completely mess up your best tactics wich means you can start from scratch to find a working one all over again. Usually every past fm had a working formula but with this one its as if its impossible to find anything consistent enough.Now if someone at SI would release some kind of guide so that we can at least understand what we are doing wrong then it would all become much cleared but i dont think SI will make that happen, mainly because of fm live no doubt about it.

I cant believe you guys sometimes, i never struggled with previous fm's but this one is seriously ****ed up. The match engine is totally unpredictable and at the same time SI is trying there best releasing patches that completely mess up your best tactics wich means you can start from scratch to find a working one all over again. Usually every past fm had a working formula but with this one its as if its impossible to find anything consistent enough.Now if someone at SI would release some kind of guide so that we can at least understand what we are doing wrong then it would all become much cleared but i dont think SI will make that happen, mainly because of fm live no doubt about it.

What's FML got to do with it? It's 2 seperate teams working on that and FM so it doesn't make no difference to FM. What sort of guide can they do to tell you where you are going wrong? You might be going wrong differently to someone else. However these sort of guides already do exist in the threads done by myself, Rashidi and wwfan. While we are not actually SI staff all three of us are heavily involved with the ME and know what works, what doesn't and why.

We want proper explanation, not just guessings...

Sorry guys, I think a lot of us are just not so convinced of your "great tactical knowledge"... ;)

More fool you then, as us 3 know exactly how the ME works :)

Good for you...

But as you're not an official source, I don't really care...

We are though, apart from Paulc himself you want get any higher up response. We just confirm what we know from him.

We want proper explanation, not just guessings...

Sorry guys, I think a lot of us are just not so convinced of your "great tactical knowledge"... ;)

To all my fellow gamers, please don't jump onto eachother's backs over a computer game. I understand a lot of what is being said, but at the same time if you are aware of what is going on in the game itself, things will be much clearer to why these types of instances happen. Now let's just take a step back for a second and look at things from an outside point of view.

The main topic is that when playing the big teams you win easily first season and you crash the second (or second half). Now, today's AI has developed 'behavior patterns', so they have the chance to change things around which offers a little more 'realism' then previous versions. When you come to a new league oppositions managers attack you more which is easy to combat against because normal-good tactics can over-power their 'defending capability'.

So let's say that you swap places, for a sec, with the opposition manger (the one who's bun you just kicked) and I think your outlook on events would be: "ok folks (team talk), we attacked this team last time and got our 'buns' in a spanking machine, their manager is a competent opponent so lets play more tactical so this time so we don't make the same mistake". Now this is when things become incredibly tactical and you need to find out which settings actually break down these types of opponents.

The AI changes things as real managers do so they minimise the threat of defeat. When you are the champions and are beating opponents left and right, you can be sure that the next time you meet them you will be playing against a much more defensive team then you did the last time...so if your attacking settings don't overide the opponents defensive settings in these instances you can see the problem.

I am just a gamer like you guys and, personally, the only way I can get around this is by going almost 'gung ho'...

We are though, apart from Paulc himself you want get any higher up response. We just confirm what we know from him.

Well, I've read your thread, Cleon, and countless others, but I must say I still struggle badly anyhow. The way one interacts with the game is just so complex now and the ai so sophisticated, that it's really hard to know when you are on the right track and when you aren't. I've loved FM for a long time, but like many others, I'm beginning to question if it's for people like me anymore after the last two editions.

Sometimes it feels as if some events are just bound to happen, as if the AI thinks to himself now i am gonna score and there is nothing you can do about it and picks then a random player with random stats and let him score a 30 yarder against world class defenders and keeper lmao.Seriously it can happen but its happening way to many times.For example last night i was playing a match vs man united with my man city side, ok now usually these matches are hard fought battles so anything can happen.Anything you think? listen to this ****, with 15 minutes left on the clock cardozo scores a trade mark free kick from the edge of the box, i thought by myself its 2-1 vs man united so i better go more defensive and attempt to control the game with my usual timewasting tactic. So i click the tactic change button and start doing the necessary adjustments while at the same time substituting 2 players to suit the tactic.I press confirm and first thing i see is Man united kicking off and they keep passing the ball around the pitch, this goes on for a good few minutes with my tactic changes still not loaded, and i think you can now gues what happened next, the god AI manages to find an opening and scores a miracle 30 yarder equalizer out of nowhere. After the goal my players got subbed and the timewaste tactic was in place. Now i can live with this draw against united but the way they pull off such an equalizer was a bit suspicious to say the least. Now if a crap team would pull **** like that i think i would have broke my keyboard in half ffs.

Good for you...

But as you're not an official source, I don't really care...

There are very few people who really 'know' the ME. PaulC, as he programmes it, is the only official source of information. Outside of him, there are certain other people who are heavily involved in the reporting and developing of the ME. None of these are SI employees, but they all understand the ME and the tactical sliders better than any SI employee other than Paul, and perhaps MV.

I would listen to the following people as they know their onions:

Rashidi

Cleon

Millie

isuckatfm

Leroy1886

LawMan

If you are not going to listen to them and are waiting for official explanation from an SI source, you will have a long, long wait. TT&F was endorsed for a reason. Tactical moderators were appointed for a reason.

Hey, with all respect, but isn't it a bit strange for a computer game to get info from about seven people to play it properly? Please do not take this as an offence.

There are lots but not all post in this forum and remember that tactic's are just 1 area of the game.

"Now if a crap team would pull **** like that i think i would have broke my keyboard in half ffs."

Crap teams keep doin' it to me... (I'm Man United by the way)

Agree with your comments, it just seems like if x slider is not set to y value and y to x and so on... so if you can't get the magic formula, the AI will decide you have to loose, no matter how s.hit they are themselves...

Glad I'm not the only one to have notified it...

Why do people post on these forums asking for help, and then when they are offered help they start hurling abuse at the person trying to help them?

Cleon, Rashidi & wwfan have been on these forums for a long time now and certainly know their stuff. I would take notice of what help these guys offer you and I would also check out Cleon's Sheffield United thread as it is very helpful for users who are struggling with the game.

There are other things to look out for as well as tactics. For example, do you have the right type of player playing in a certain role? It's about setting the right instructions for the type of players at your disposal

I always get surprised at how things get translated in this forum. Suggesting who to listen to when you are struggling with the tactical side of the game equals 'you must listen to these 7 people to be able to play FM09' and is an example of a 'power crazy' mod. The people I mentioned simply provide more input to the development of the ME than any others and thus can explain, in detail, how much of it works. If you are struggling and frustrated, they are worth listening too. If, however, you want to continue with the small-minded view that the ME has 'magical' slider combinations and there is nothing the user can do about it, then there's not much point in your continuing to visit the tactics forum.

Archived