What do y'all want to see removed/upgraded in FM25?

On 17/04/2024 at 08:30, phnompenhandy said:

I have a visceral hated of Steam Workshop. I see tons of great downloads on there; to get them, you click on 'subscribe'. And then what? I waste hours searching through folders within folders - some turn up in random locations, some turn up days later, some never download. I would probably be playing FM24 now if I could download some recent league mods, but I got bored with the old ones and Steam is so damned unfriendly to the user, I've given up.

This seems very much a you issue tbh. I've used mods on 10+ games on Steam in the past year and never once had the problems your describing.

Go into Steam, go to workshop for game, press subscribe, wait for download to finish showing in Steam, play game with mods.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 17/04/2024 at 08:30, phnompenhandy said:

I have a visceral hated of Steam Workshop. I see tons of great downloads on there; to get them, you click on 'subscribe'. And then what? I waste hours searching through folders within folders - some turn up in random locations, some turn up days later, some never download. I would probably be playing FM24 now if I could download some recent league mods, but I got bored with the old ones and Steam is so damned unfriendly to the user, I've given up.

This seems very much a you issue tbh. I've used mods on 10+ games on Steam in the past year and never once had the problems your describing.

Go into Steam, go to workshop for game, press subscribe, wait for download to finish showing in Steam, play game with mods. I can only assume you've some setting that disable downloads in some way and there's a raft of them waiting for your approval then expiring.

I'd just like a bit more randomness in the game and I'd like to see more realism in ownership etc.

For example, I'd like to see a bit more understanding of what an owner is about. Are they ever going to expand the stadium or are they just flat out against it? Are they there to make money so will keep budgets down, or even are they going to almost kill the club by strangling it?  Plus I'd like to see a bit more falling out with owners.

The same with the players really. I'd like to see say Haaland falling out with Guardiola or running his contract down.

And yeah echoing most guys, backroom staff need to be much better.

Gameplay wise I'd like to see a bit more depth to player form.  We get poor goalscoring streaks but no real reason behind it, a bit more about it eg they're just struggling, if they struggle alongside a specific player etc etc.

I guess I'd just like my saves to feel a bit more unique or a story really.  I do think it's almost too predictable what will happen in the Gameworld.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Go into Steam, go to workshop for game, press subscribe, wait for download to finish showing in Steam

I do that. The downloads mostly never happen. If it's 'just me', it will be due to my location. Steam doesn't 'recognise' my country.

5 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I do that. The downloads mostly never happen. If it's 'just me', it will be due to my location. Steam doesn't 'recognise' my country.

I haven't downloaded anything from the workshop for FM through steam, but with other games I've found I've had to subscribe while the game is open, close the game down and then the next time I open the game it is available then. If I do it while the game is closed then it doesn't work with games I've tried.

24 minutes ago, santy001 said:

I haven't downloaded anything from the workshop for FM through steam, but with other games I've found I've had to subscribe while the game is open, close the game down and then the next time I open the game it is available then. If I do it while the game is closed then it doesn't work with games I've tried.

Oh, that might be what I'm doing. Thanks.

On 17/04/2024 at 03:30, phnompenhandy said:

This depends in part on your operating system.

I've never gotten the Steam Workshop to work correctly on Mac computers, for example.  You've got to know where the workshop saves the files and then copy them to the correct directory yourself.

It's not just Football Manager that has this issue.  Every game on Steam has similar problems.

I'm on Arch Linux now, and I've learned to set shortcuts to find the correct Proton folder right away.

1. Streamlining Features:

• Cut out or adjust features that offer little game value like praising players for good training, media conferences, sideline shouts, and pre-game speeches to feel more valuable and less tedious.
    • Make more sense of player interactions
  2. AI Difficulty and Realism:

• Improve overall AI to increase the game's difficulty and realism. Now it feels very hard not to get promoted from lower leagues.
      • Probably partly a problem of free agents and loans to easy to get.
    • Enhance aspects like rotation, squad building, and tactical AI.
  3. Players:

• Adjust physical stats slightly downward and technical stats slightly upward for better balance.
    • Fine-tune pressing mechanics to only work effectively with suitable players.
    • Review the rating system for goalkeepers to ensure they receive appropriate scores for exceptional performances. Feel this is only a problem for your own goalkeeper, save everything, make every pass and get a cleansheet, that's a 7.3!
  4. Newgen Generation:

• Review the generation of newgens to ensure more realistic stat lines. Often really good in a few things and totally terrible in others, very rarely balanced.
    • After a few years it always seems that newgen wonderkids takes over the world, with totally unrealistic attributes
  5. Transfer and Scouting Mechanisms:

• Incorporate current form and performance metrics into transfer value and scouting evaluations, reducing the reliance on reputation alone.
      • Reputation mechanics being weighted so heavy and updates so slowly creates problems. I've won the EPL and CL multiple times and my star players wants to go to teams that did not even qualify to the CL because they have higher reputation and would be good for their careers.
    • Address the issue of clubs not paying for loans of your players while demanding high fees for AI players on loan. I guess this is an issue of players creating loan farms by signing a lot of free agents and then loaning them out for a profit and selling them the next season. Also something that need to be looked at, so it is solved in a way that does not disturb normal loaning and free agent signing behaviours
  6. Visualization:

• Improve data presentation with enhanced graphs and information to facilitate strategies like "moneyball" or obscure attributes for added challenge.
    • Provide clearer explanations for the necessity and benefits of various staff roles, avoiding redundancy.
    • Enhance the mentoring system with clearer explanations and guidelines on group benefits and participation.
    • It can be a bit unclear when a young player benefits from a loan or can still play in the youth leagues. Sometimes I even wonder if u21 and reserves fills any meaningful meaning in FM24, more than keeping a few of your emergency backups match fit.
    • I would want a more dynamic tactic view where I could adjust where and when players actually moves, which players to mark on defensiv or offensive etc. Get better feedback from the data analyst/hub if they notice clear weaknesses in the current tactic, like a certain player always losing possesion, a specific position in the opposition always scoring or progressing the game etc

I think the manager job history page should have a better look and the trophies should be aligned in a place beside the current/ former club in a shelf- like style 

I'd like some kind of non-adversarial mechanics beyond the awful praise being a good boy stuff. 

I've got a 21-year old striker I signed when he was 18, he's been my #2 for two years, now has 12 international caps and could start for most clubs outside the biggest. I wish I could have a dialogue to ask him if he wants me to be open to selling him to a club where he can start (explaining that he's stuck behind a 24 year old Ballon d'Or winner), instead of waiting for a contract renewal and then throwing a fit because I won't make him a starter. 

Actually, 99% of the interaction mechanics are too adversarial - I pour points into man management/being a motivator, never yell at halftime and only remember to criticize bad performances sometimes so I end up with "very close" relationships with almost all my players. Why does every contract impasse or reaction to a lowball offer have to be WW3?

Edited by mlpowell

On 22/04/2024 at 08:37, Iro said:

2. Newgen Generation:

3. Transfer and Scouting Mechanisms:

• Address the issue of clubs not paying for loans of your players while demanding high fees for AI players on loan. I guess this is an issue of players creating loan farms by signing a lot of free agents and then loaning them out for a profit and selling them the next season. Also something that need to be looked at, so it is solved in a way that does not disturb normal loaning and free agent signing behaviours
  4. Visualization:

• It can be a bit unclear when a young player benefits from a loan or can still play in the youth leagues. Sometimes I even wonder if u21 and reserves fills any meaningful meaning in FM24, more than keeping a few of your emergency backups match fit.
    •  

re: 3, this is to force you to use the negotiation screens IMO. I get swamped with Championship clubs who offer $0 and 0%, they will almost always go to paying 100% the salary but never a dime on top. But then if I reject those the Belgian/Italian/French teams start coming around - they'll offer money but no salary. I can almost always push them to pay the initial loan fee plus 100% salary. 

The biggest trouble with loans is when clubs don't play your loanees even after promising starter/important player - there needs to be a coach blacklist that reminds you who's screwed you before.

re:4, yes there's absolutely a benefit to U21 and reserves even after they're 18. They get more experience points (or whatever the internal mechanic is) for playing senior matches but they still grow. If you make CA visible you can see it - and in the youth setup, matches still matter as far as I can tell. An U21 or U18 player who's not put in a position on the tactics screen develops slower than one who does.