The Rotated Crystalline With An Enganche! Juego de Posición

Regarding Expect Goal per Shot, I think I found the "issue" which isn't completely a tactical thing.

Using the default Near Post (inswing) routine, we have the most shooting actions from corners. They won't generate a high xG. I mean, I could remove the routine and just have one player in the box or something, but that'll feel wrong so will probably change the delivery type or something. 

We get fouled the most, too. So generally, we are involved in a lot of attacking set-pieces. Raphinha probably a bit too strong on those set pieces lol

image.png.91a8168331f7cf52687fd98515719aa9.pngimage.png.78488d9469852c133733ace738b554c8.png

• RDF Tactics changed the title to The Rotated Crystalline With An Enganche! Juego de Posición

Love your stuff RDF - and this is really interesting. Anything related to Juego de Posición always catches my attention, and the Enganche makes this all the more intriguing since it's become a bit of a forgotten role! 

You inspired me to use traditional Fullbacks on Support in my own system, especially when facing a back five so I can create a natural 2v1 overlap. 

I think with the introduction of the new roles like IFB (or the improved positioning of the IWB), which are really cool, I feel like I have to use them to create the 3-2-5 or 2-3-5 attacking shape.

However, having FB's wide helps stretch a defence, they can also tuck in and form a back three or midfield three in certain phases/transitions. 

I tried this out in my recent game away to Roma with Atalanta, winning 3-1 and I'm now seriously considering adopting something like this long term. 

For example, here we have just scored, after our right full back (#5) joined the attack venturing into the box and played it back to the edge where Emerson played our striker in. But look at the 2-3 shape we have formed, with the #23 being our left back playing as a FB(S):

And now in this attack, for our second goal, there are three things I've highlighted. First, the pink lines show our rest defence, which the right FB(S) is helping us to form. You can then see the 'Crystal' as you called it (the blue lines) with our midfield trio. And lastly, the left FB(S) has advanced forward with the ball and created a 2v1 against Roma's wingback (yellow circle). 

Sorry for hijacking the thread, and the star of the show might well be the Enganche role, but it's the versatile fullback on support which has given me so much food for thought! 

Keep up the good work! :)

Edited by Fantasista10

Matias Almeyda (River Plate legend and former Lazio and Inter player) is using kinda this formation and idea on his game. But he is using man-mark at his defensive part for AEK Athens. They was on the group of death in Europa League with European giants like Marseille,Ajax and Brighton and lost the third place on the last game. At the moment they are the double champions in Greece and currently sitting first place at +1 from PAOK and +3 from Panathinaikos that is coached by Galatasaray legend (Fatih Terim.
 You should look them up. They look really exciting and have the most xG and xP in Greece atm. 

Okay, so I've gone for a more narrow formation with an AM and a Treq either side of the Engance and the RB as an IWB on support. Wondering what PIs if any I might need to give the CM and AM.

58 minutes ago, Wavelberry said:

Okay, so I've gone for a more narrow formation with an AM and a Treq either side of the Engance and the RB as an IWB on support. Wondering what PIs if any I might need to give the CM and AM.

6e686a1b50b81a54670a9ab662662b2e.png

This is what I've gone for thus far. Am not sure am getting the best out of my striker tho.

1 minute ago, Wavelberry said:

6e686a1b50b81a54670a9ab662662b2e.png

This is what I've gone for thus far. Am not sure am getting the best out of my striker tho.

I think you're on the right/better track than I was on.

So now I'm thinking of switching to a narrow 4231 as my Enganche is failing to put pressure on the opposition and can't tell if it's because he needs more support around him and/or an attacking duty helping with putting pressure on?

I am currently too easy to play through - closing that width between Wingers and Enganche may help the CM a lot more, too. It's currently the struggles I'm having. With a top side in their respective league like Rangers in SPL, it's fine as teams look to play direct anyway and won't play through me as much. Better when I played in certain other leagues, the so-called smaller sides weren't afraid to just play through me.

I also HATE the low ratings my Enganche gets for not assisting or scoring. He's the link! :lol:

1 minute ago, RDF Tactics said:

So now I'm thinking of switching to a narrow 4231 as my Enganche is failing to put pressure on the opposition and can't tell if it's because he needs more support around him and/or an attacking duty helping with putting pressure on?

I am currently too easy to play through - closing that width between Wingers and Enganche may help the CM a lot more, too. It's currently the struggles I'm having. With a top side in their respective league like Rangers in SPL, it's fine as teams look to play direct anyway and won't play through me as much. Better when I played in certain other leagues, the so-called smaller sides weren't afraid to just play through me.

I also HATE the low ratings my Enganche gets for not assisting or scoring. He's the link! :lol:

Yeah, I actually took inspiration from the other thread where you was talking about defenders being too wide and marking wingers etc so the plan was to be more defensively compact yet play with an enganche coz I really wanna make the role work. I'm predicted lower mid in my league and doing okay and my striker hates me and is the only one decent enough to play atm so am struggling with that but I think it's working. Currently 1-0 against Truro in the 1st half and the AM 3 are running the show

d450d07a68e3f4a5915144fce92a18ba.png

4 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

In any of the 433 variations (4231, 4411 etc) if the opponent is playing a holding defensive mid then Enganche is basically useless. I've found that I then have to play SV, BBM or CM-A to basically have 2-on-1 against the defensive mid to overload him. I've had some success with midfield trio of DM-S (hold position PI), SV-S and EG-S with IW-S on the side where SV is and IF-A on DM-S side if you get what am saying :D

Also, seems like a role that doesn't drop deep pairs nicely with EG.

Basically this

9s3GqHx.png

And TI

uN0kkJQ.png

EG stats below

3ZNJZTo.png

iSKHxmM.png

tzFdx4n.png

One issue I see the 'few progressive passes' but that may be because he is also dedicated set piece taker for everything.

edit - forgot to add that I am newly promoted and expected to avoid automatic relegation.

Edited by -Jef-

I'm in desperate need of an 4-2-3-1 tactic for Chelsea in FM, can't get anything going.

Can't score, can't defend, players underperforming (yeah I know, like in real-life) but anyhow...

I start to believe it's hard-coded in FM24 not to get anything out of Chelsea :idiot::lol: 

2 hours ago, -Jef- said:

In any of the 433 variations (4231, 4411 etc) if the opponent is playing a holding defensive mid then Enganche is basically useless. I've found that I then have to play SV, BBM or CM-A to basically have 2-on-1 against the defensive mid to overload him. I've had some success with midfield trio of DM-S (hold position PI), SV-S and EG-S with IW-S on the side where SV is and IF-A on DM-S side if you get what am saying :D

Also, seems like a role that doesn't drop deep pairs nicely with EG.

Basically this

9s3GqHx.png

And TI

uN0kkJQ.png

EG stats below

3ZNJZTo.png

iSKHxmM.png

tzFdx4n.png

One issue I see the 'few progressive passes' but that may be because he is also dedicated set piece taker for everything.

edit - forgot to add that I am newly promoted and expected to avoid automatic relegation.

I tried to be too quirky with my formation. I was on a walk today I feel deep down I know I should drop my CM into DM and turn him into a SVa lol 

I too have found it nice (when your enganche does find the time and space) having off-the-ball runners from the left, right and centre of him. The fact he holds his position and doesn't dribble into different zones, he really wants his teammates to not operate in the same space.

So that said, I'm going to think about the defensive issues that may occur if I do have SS or AMa on either side of my Enganche to make sure nobody is operating same zone and also has runners. It's a risk but it would be the AMCL. AMCR and ST applying pressure and Enganche then covering behind

11 minutes ago, poma said:

I'm in desperate need of an 4-2-3-1 tactic for Chelsea in FM, can't get anything going.

Can't score, can't defend, players underperforming (yeah I know, like in real-life) but anyhow...

I start to believe it's hard-coded in FM24 not to get anything out of Chelsea :idiot::lol: 

:lol: you made any signings or anything? You can post your team and current tactic if you'd like (or can always make a thread if you want to do either)

18 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

:lol: you made any signings or anything? You can post your team and current tactic if you'd like (or can always make a thread if you want to do either)

Haven't done anything, just "real-world" db at the start, no fancy database etc, tried 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 with one dm, 3-4-2-1 (5-2-2-1 in game)

Just simple Ti's, no Pi's and it sucks BIG-TIME :onmehead::idiot::lol:

Edited by poma

On 27/02/2024 at 11:07, poma said:

image.png.a7f5495630a0ad839e34f11a37d8e130.png

PIs:

LIF: Sit Narrower

AMC: Pass shorter, dribble less, roam, get further forward

DMCR: Dribble more, Shoot Less often

IFB (for James only): Dribble wide, Cross More Often, Cross from Deep

I'll often switch Sterling to the RW position and put someone slightly more creative in the IFs spot

Lukaku has scored 7 goals in 4 games for me with this tactic (3,2,0,2).

You should be able to switch this to the right side if you want/need. Kind of a waste using James as an IFB but Chilwell isn't as great as an IFB and the lack of left footed wingers kind of necessitates playing down the left flank this way. Putting a right footed winger out there isn't the end of the world though.

On 29/02/2024 at 03:25, wazzaflow10 said:

image.png.a7f5495630a0ad839e34f11a37d8e130.png

PIs:

LIF: Sit Narrower

AMC: Pass shorter, dribble less, roam, get further forward

DMCR: Dribble more, Shoot Less often

IFB (for James only): Dribble wide, Cross More Often, Cross from Deep

I'll often switch Sterling to the RW position and put someone slightly more creative in the IFs spot

Lukaku has scored 7 goals in 4 games for me with this tactic (3,2,0,2).

You should be able to switch this to the right side if you want/need. Kind of a waste using James as an IFB but Chilwell isn't as great as an IFB and the lack of left footed wingers kind of necessitates playing down the left flank this way. Putting a right footed winger out there isn't the end of the world though.

Will try now after the patch/update :thup:

1 hour ago, poma said:

Will try now after the patch/update :thup:

Other keys is making sure who ever is in the DLP and Left CB position are athletic enough to cover the hole created by Chilwell pushing forward. In an ideal world the LIF is more of a playmaker type player than Sterling. I often put him on the right.

If you're generating chances and not scoring try dropping the mentality, and upping the tempo and give balanced width.  Or if teams are really sitting back (i.e. playing a 3-4-2-1) you can push the DMs into an SV role and make it more like a 3-1-6.