Traits?

It's just my opinion, but they should align with what you want them to do on the pitch to refine your tactic.

I mean, if you want a central defender who takes long shots and does bicycle kicks because that's exactly what you need, go for it.

3 hours ago, ThomasHK1979 said:

Is there a list of which traits are the best to train for each role?

What I use

GK: I don't use traits

FB: Run with the ball often

CB: Don't dive in

DM/CM/AM: One twos

Wide men: Cut inside from the flank

ST: Break offside trap and places shots.

6 hours ago, ThomasHK1979 said:

Is there a list of which traits are the best to train for each role?

It's not about a trait that suits a role particularly. 

It's about a trait that does what YOU want the role to do. 

For example, if you look at the completely reasonable list that @Kloppyhas given you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, except that my list is completely different to his list because what I want from my players in those positions is different to what he wants from his. Even if we were using an identical tactic, I think we would probably come up with different PPM's for very similar roles. 

GK'L Tries long-range free-kicks. (Long story). 

FB's & WB's: Get forward wherever possible. (WB's seem slightly OP in FM24). 
DC's: I agree with the "don't dive in" PPM here, but as I'm playing 3 at the back I like my central of the 3 to carry the ball a little and look for better passes so maybe something more playmaker for him. 
MC's: Big difference her depending on on the relative strength of the player. For ball-players I like "switches play", "tries long passes", dictates tempo" and "tries killer balls", but there is no point trying to get an athletic destroyer in the middle of the pitch to do these things. In that instance I would like ask them to "dive into tackles", "play one-two's", (so the could run off their marker), "arrive late in box" etc.
Wingers: Gets forward wherever possible, Runs with ball down whatever, runs with ball more often, knocks ball past, beats man repeatedly, stays wide, cuts in, crosses early etc etc. I use PPM's that suit the player rather than PPM's that specifically suit a pre-set role. If I have a winger who can't dribble then cross early. If I have a fast player who can't dribble then knock the ball past opponent. If I wide player who can't shoot then look for pass instead of shooting. 
SC's: It's even more confusing with a striker. Forget about the role and look at the player. Is he a clinical striker, (places shots), or is he a TM, (plays with back to goal), is he a speed merchant, (knocks ball past opponent), etc etc etc. Look at each player and imagine what you would prefer him to do, (or not do).. Then see if there is a PPM that encourages him to do it. 

Gk Avoid using weaker foot Use long throw to start counter

FB Get forward whenever possible Looks for pass rather than shooting

CB Stay back at all times Tries long range passes

DM Comes deep to get ball Dictates tempo

MC Tries killer balls often Arrives late in the box

AM L/R Curls ball Places shots

AM Tries killer balls often Tries one twos

CF Tries first time shots Likes to round keeper

There is no definitive answer to your question though. All managers will want different things from their players/tactics. It's best to mould them to how you would want them to play as @Jimbokav1971 said above.

Edited by kopfan1977

1 hour ago, fc.cadoni said:

Central Defence Roles you will all the roles and their complementary & contrasting traits. You can click on Flank Roles, Central Midfield and Central Attack Roles to see about other roles.

Quick question - for a central defender, does "Stay back at all times" include going up for corners and free kicks?

On 29/11/2023 at 20:34, kopfan1977 said:

Gk Avoid using weaker foot Use long throw to start counter

FB Get forward whenever possible Looks for pass rather than shooting

CB Stay back at all times Tries long range passes

DM Comes deep to get ball Dictates tempo

MC Tries killer balls often Arrives late in the box

AM L/R Curls ball Places shots

AM Tries killer balls often Tries one twos

CF Tries first time shots Likes to round keeper

There is no definitive answer to your question though. All managers will want different things from their players/tactics. It's best to mould them to how you would want them to play as said above.

Great insights, everyone! Tailoring traits to your playing style and each player's strengths is key. Does 'Stay back at all times' for central defenders extend to set-piece situations? If you find yourself drowning in assignments, look no further – I've uncovered a true academic gem. This revelation isn't just mine; I've shared it with my classmates, and the feedback has been nothing short of fantastic. What sets https://www.grabmyessay.com/ apart is its unmatched combination of skilled writers and unwavering trustworthiness. The writing team navigates the intricacies of any topic with finesse, ensuring that even under tight deadlines, the quality remains exceptional. Complex subjects become manageable, and challenging assignments are met with proficiency.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: I found it useful for me, thank you again for explaining. You made my day :)

Edited by PeterNunn

On 30/11/2023 at 15:58, phnompenhandy said:

Quick question - for a central defender, does "Stay back at all times" include going up for corners and free kicks?

No, they will move up according to your set piece set up.

Stays back at all times reduces the rate at which the player makes forward runs and with an aggressive enough role/mentality you can still override that. Had the joy of dealing with more than a couple of attacking fullbacks the AI threw "stays back at all times on" at some point and once it's there good luck getting rid of it without just resorting to the editor.