The AI really needs improving

2 minutes ago, Ngoc said:

This is exactly why player sux they can’t think out of the box min max and than whine that is easier

new flash lot of people are not that lame and since there is no different level they obviously cater to player that enjoy the game not min max sore loosers

Sorry, what does that mean? And what is min max?

1 minute ago, greenz81 said:

Sorry I can’t teach you stuff stop running look around learn what min max means than maybe we can talk 

that is exactly my point of people that only focus on one stuff

Edited by Ngoc

8 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

Min-max is a gaming term used to describe the process of minimizing your weaknesses and maximizing your strengths. It is generally used in conjunction with the process of building a character within a game system, such as dungeons and dragons.

Just lifted that from urban dictionary because I couldn't be bothered to explain it.

Anyway, I have no idea what the guy is babbling about either.

Edited by Kickballz

36 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

I wouldnt blame the end-user for not being challenged. But you are pointing out the faults with the game which are not the end-users fault. They want the game to challenge them. A few points you made

Overpowered gegenpress - you should need the right players to play the system in the first place, which we don´t have to at present

DoF handle transfers - because we all know the DOF is dumb in-game and sign you random players that dont fit your system or personality, so lack of AI intelligence punishes you

Don't sign high pace players - Why would anyone want slow players on their team unless they had amazing stats in other areas? Pace is always an advantage anyway, but against a low block or double marking a player in real life helps remove that advantage

Anyone that actually wanted to challenge themselves - had bought football manager because in previous editions without all the flashing lights and stuff, it was a challenge. But also because we were not given the right tools to deal with situations. Now we have the tools to help us, they dont quite work right.

If i was the fastest sprinter in my school and won every year, do you think i should slow down so its a challenge or go to a place where i could be challenged better? Thats the point of a new version of a game coming out every year, should be more challenging than the last.

End of the day, users have one of two choices.  Endlessly complain and pitch all their hopes on an update at some later date that may or may not fix whatever their issue is, or use what they do have at their disposal to make things better for themselves.  Bonus of the latter is you may well get to benefit from the former too.  

4 minutes ago, Ngoc said:

Sorry I can’t teach you stuff stop running look around learn what min max means than maybe we can talk 

that is exactly my point of people that only focus on one stuff

whoa bro... whats your damage! Chill winston! And im assuming english is not your first language... as the way its written hurts my brain trying to read it

Obviously you don´t understand metaphors, and reading all your comments, you go against anyone that says anything negative about the game. Your the type of person i wont listen to as you dont listen to the opinion´s of others.

Have a good day.

6 minutes ago, Kickballz said:

Min-max is a gaming term used to describe the process of minimizing your weaknesses and maximizing your strengths. It is generally used in conjunction with the process of building a character within a game system, such as dungeons and dragons.

Just lifted that from urban dictionary because I couldn't be bothered to explain it.

Anyway, I have no idea what the guy is babbling about either.

Thanks for the explanation... it was just the way the other guy had written stuff, it was all a blah!

6 minutes ago, forameuss said:

End of the day, users have one of two choices.  Endlessly complain and pitch all their hopes on an update at some later date that may or may not fix whatever their issue is, or use what they do have at their disposal to make things better for themselves.  Bonus of the latter is you may well get to benefit from the former too.  

Thats the hum dinger. May or may not fix. The game engine is the best by far, but i feel the focus this year was that and forgot about outside of the match engine. 

We pretty much have all the tools at our disposal to be able to make the game more enjoyable, but the tools are not working correctly. 

Im totally against the principle of purposely making the game difficult for yourself by blatently ignoring issues. I´d imagine if this was a perfectly patched up game, doing the things it was meant to be doing, we could finally see the trees in the forest and the  only complaints would be in regards to people setting up the wrong players in the wrong tactics. Its just people do not know if its too hard or too easy because its broken or their tactics are wrong... just so many variables.

If people knew what to look out for and we had an actual bug list, people would be able to have a clearer picture in their head of what they are seeing. It would also stop all the forum snipìng!

13 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

Im totally against the principle of purposely making the game difficult for yourself by blatently ignoring issues.

So, basically, you don't want to do anything to make your personal experience any better whilst you wait for them to look at fixing them properly?  Bold.

It's not about "blatantly ignoring" issues.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  You can acknowledge them, and still make moves to work around them so you can still enjoy something.  What's that, the water's off?  You're providing bottled water down the street?  Nah, screw that, I'm going to sit in a huff until it's fixed.  Harrumph.

If people knew what to look out for and we had an actual bug list, people would be able to have a clearer picture in their head of what they are seeing. It would also stop all the forum snipìng!

Have you met people?  Believing that a "perfectly patched up game" is even possible, let alone likely, is not realistic.  But it's still more likely than "stopping forum sniping". People will find something to be mad about, particularly when you ally it with the previous point that the game is never going to be bug free, and to some people it's always going to be "unplayable", even if that's in a stick-in-your-own-spokes kind of way.

Edited by forameuss

I have said this before and I will say it again - they ALWAYS make the beta/pre release slightly easier, to get people hooked and make sure people keep playing. 

That said, FM is always going to be easier than the real world for millions of reasons. We all know the best players, best wonderkids, best tactics, we know how to put 90% of a transfer fee for a player we cannot afford on 10 years payments, we dont have to deal with all the behind the scenes stuff that us normal fans never get to see. 

Other things to think about :

- People complaining that gegenpressing is overpowered, well yes. In real life it is overpowered as well hence the 3 best teams in England play this way, SI has to put that into the game or its not realistic. Then 99% of players realise thats the best way to get best results and wham it seems easier than it does.

- if you are very tenured player like 99% of us on these forums, we know how to turn a championship side into a top 4 team in England within 4 seasons, we just know what to do from years and years of playing. Again these forums equal less than 1% of the player base, most wont know how to get the best training, best tactics etc

- The statistics for save scumming is absolutely mental as well.... I remember when they told us the stats, it was like 98% of people in the current saves had restarted after a loss. I am no angel on that front ive done it many times but try not to.

- Most people start with teams that are easy , lets be honest here. I see people going "Its too easy" and say they started with Arsenal and won the quadruple in their 3rd season - like come on.

5 minutes ago, samrnpage said:

I have said this before and I will say it again - they ALWAYS make the beta/pre release slightly easier, to get people hooked and make sure people keep playing. 

You can say it as many times as you want, it's still going to sound a bit mental.

2 minutes ago, forameuss said:

So, basically, you don't want to do anything to make your personal experience any better whilst you wait for them to look at fixing them properly?  Bold.

Have you met people?  Believing that a "perfectly patched up game" is even possible, let alone likely, is not realistic.  But it's still more likely than "stopping forum sniping". People will find something to be mad about, particularly when you ally it with the previous point that the game is never going to be bug free, and to some people it's always going to be "unplayable", even if that's in a stick-in-your-own-spokes kind of way.

This is why I bought the game to have a great personal experience of being a virtual football manager. To be challenged against the great teams like Barcelona and Man Citys. I religiously watch football. English, French, German, Spanish even Danish football on my dodgy channels. Ive played the game since 95-96. It was a fantastic game at the time when all i had was a text prompt telling me what is going on. Every year improvements were done to the game where its at a point, these improvements are being detrimental to the game. Its like they are adding too many features to justify a new game instead of just updating it. Look at No Mans Sky.... released a buggy mess in 2016 and even until now, they are updating it. Free of charge!

Games used to come out with an odd patch or 2 to resolve a bug that snuck through QA. Now games are being released full of bugs. Considering FM gets a yearly release, Its not right that there are 'planned patches' for that current release. A game should be released when its ready!

2 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

This is why I bought the game to have a great personal experience of being a virtual football manager. To be challenged against the great teams like Barcelona and Man Citys. I religiously watch football. English, French, German, Spanish even Danish football on my dodgy channels. Ive played the game since 95-96. It was a fantastic game at the time when all i had was a text prompt telling me what is going on. Every year improvements were done to the game where its at a point, these improvements are being detrimental to the game. Its like they are adding too many features to justify a new game instead of just updating it. Look at No Mans Sky.... released a buggy mess in 2016 and even until now, they are updating it. Free of charge!

Games used to come out with an odd patch or 2 to resolve a bug that snuck through QA. Now games are being released full of bugs. Considering FM gets a yearly release, Its not right that there are 'planned patches' for that current release. A game should be released when its ready!

You're acting like the product hasn't always had its bugs.  Every single piece of software ever created has had them, this isn't some new phenomenon.  There are plenty of examples of really old games where they had to create physical media and distribute them to fix anything.  If they did at all.  Nowadays everything is far more public, and yes, there are some developers that take the **** (Hello Games did, but they've acknowledged and gone some way to making good, CDPR did and...well, kind of did).  But the attitude of "it should be released when it's ready" is just a route to misery, because 1) ready is entirely subjective, and 2) that definition is probably going to be impossible in a lot of cases.  Even more so on a game that sits on a yearly cycle.  Even if it was a 2-year cycle.

2 minutes ago, forameuss said:

You're acting like the product hasn't always had its bugs.  Every single piece of software ever created has had them, this isn't some new phenomenon.  There are plenty of examples of really old games where they had to create physical media and distribute them to fix anything.  If they did at all.  Nowadays everything is far more public, and yes, there are some developers that take the **** (Hello Games did, but they've acknowledged and gone some way to making good, CDPR did and...well, kind of did).  But the attitude of "it should be released when it's ready" is just a route to misery, because 1) ready is entirely subjective, and 2) that definition is probably going to be impossible in a lot of cases.  Even more so on a game that sits on a yearly cycle.  Even if it was a 2-year cycle.

Ok. Lets talk bugs then. Should i point out every bug that has not been fixed in the last few versions of FM? Should I point out every new feature they have added whilst still not fixing said bugs? Im not oblivious! I know every piece of software have bugs. But if your game releases anually and still the same bugs are popping up.... isnt it time to question something. There are still bugs in FM22, but SI dont support it anymore. Still bugs in FM23, but SI dont support it anymore. Them same bugs are in FM24! 

To make a bold claim that this is the "most polished version of FM", when in its current state, it obviously is not, shows there is a disconnect with Miles sees and what the end-user sees. I think the most polished version was FM22 last patch up. Think that was the one i enjoyed the most. It had its flaws, but we accepted it, thinking the next version would improve or fix it. 2 versions later......

I have played one save so far and taken Dynamo Dresden from tier 3 to 4th in Bundesligue in 3 seasons. managed to buy all the top prospects (Weiper, Ouedraogo, Moukoko, Moriba) along the way. used the same 4231 throughout. 

only other issue I've had are the insane number of injuries.

FM24 is utter trash so far, assume all the dev reasources moved to FM25?

really very simple progamming for giving young players match time:

winning or losing by +2 goals

sub on youngest player (excluding GK) between 60-75mins or player on bench with highest PA

even playing against the AI on FIFA it makes decent subs

Edited by Carninho

1 hour ago, greenz81 said:

Overpowered gegenpress - you should need the right players to play the system in the first place, which we don´t have to at present

Entirely your decision to play it despite thinking it's inappropriate for your team purely because its successful. Just don't whinge because the strategy you've picked solely because it's successful is successful..

(and tbh a gegenpress isn't actually as effective a press in game than a well drilled pressing team IRL, it's just a lot more efficient at winning in the ME than other strategies)

DoF handle transfers - because we all know the DOF is dumb in-game and sign you random players that dont fit your system or personality, so lack of AI intelligence punishes you

Ah, so you want a "challenge", but you also don't want to deal with anything as challenging (or realistic) as having to work with players that aren't good for your system and wont make the club a profit...

Don't sign high pace players - Why would anyone want slow players on their team unless they had amazing stats in other areas? Pace is always an advantage anyway, but against a low block or double marking a player in real life helps remove that advantage

I dunno, maybe they'd want the actual challenge of not doing things the easy way rather than the opportunity to brag about how then doing things the easy way had beaten "hard mode"...

Anyone that actually wanted to challenge themselves - had bought football manager because in previous editions without all the flashing lights and stuff, it was a challenge.

Lol, when was FM/CM hard? Its always been the game where you promote yourself from the lower divisions by a simple combination of aggressive tactics and better work in the transfer market than the AI (or do other stuff if you're more interested in tactical recreations or want a different challenge). That's why it sold so many copies.

If i was the fastest sprinter in my school and won every year, do you think i should slow down so its a challenge or go to a place where i could be challenged better? Thats the point of a new version of a game coming out every year, should be more challenging than the last.

If you were the best footballer at the school, I think you'd have learned a lot more trying to use your skill to do more challenging stuff like learning different positions and trying to create goals for your weaker teammates, rather than demanding your teammates play everything through you doing the same basic stepover and burst of speed that always gets you away from your man every time, then shouting at your teachers that it's their fault you scored all the goals for not making the other players better....

The point of a new version of a game coming out every year, should be more challenging than the last.

Nah, the point of a new version is to sell more copies. You don't do this by focusing your new features on people that claim to want a bigger challenge but have a long list of reasons why they won't do anything challenging.

48 minutes ago, forameuss said:

It's not about "blatantly ignoring" issues.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  You can acknowledge them, and still make moves to work around them so you can still enjoy something.  What's that, the water's off?  You're providing bottled water down the street?  Nah, screw that, I'm going to sit in a huff until it's fixed.  Harrumph.

He is mentally problematic, a person who purposely refuses to find a way to enjoy stuff and refuses to do anything at all to make their own experience better are clinical cases I stopped bothering to answer him. Maybe he ran too much when he was young who knows? 

they don't look for solutions in life they look for problems and whine about them what makes them feel accomplished is the worst type of person and they didn't exist before this new internet-generation. So sad.

Edited by Ngoc

2 hours ago, Kickballz said:

I know this and you know this, but is seems players will keep making threads like this, until they have can have a box to tick. I say, give them their hardcore mode and we can all move on.

The problem is that the box to tick comes with a whole lot more stuff to test is working (an ME and player transfer interactions that behave completely differently is a lotand gets even more complaints..

8 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Entirely your decision to play it despite thinking it's inappropriate for your team purely because its successful. Just don't whinge because the strategy you've picked solely because it's successful is successful..

(and tbh a gegenpress isn't actually as effective a press in game than a well drilled pressing team IRL, it's just a lot more efficient at winning in the ME than other strategies)

Ah, so you want a "challenge", but you also don't want to deal with anything as challenging (or realistic) as having to work with players that aren't good for your system and wont make the club a profit...

I dunno, maybe they'd want the actual challenge of not doing things the easy way rather than the opportunity to brag about how then doing things the easy way had beaten "hard mode"...

Lol, when was FM/CM hard? Its always been the game where you promote yourself from the lower divisions by a simple combination of aggressive tactics and better work in the transfer market than the AI (or do other stuff if you're more interested in tactical recreations or want a different challenge). That's why it sold so many copies.

If you were the best footballer at the school, I think you'd have learned a lot more trying to use your skill to do more challenging stuff like learning different positions and trying to create goals for your weaker teammates, rather than demanding your teammates play everything through you doing the same basic stepover and burst of speed that always gets you away from your man every time, then shouting at your teachers that it's their fault you scored all the goals for not making the other players better....

Nah, the point of a new version is to sell more copies. You don't do this by focusing your new features on people that claim to want a bigger challenge but have a long list of reasons why they won't do anything challenging.

These were replies to another person who was blaming the end-user. Don´t know why your directing this at me. Anyway you must obviously watch a crappy movies but sit there and think, na i'll change the story in my head? Do you buy a coffee and it tastes like crap, but instead of telling the server, but you convince yourself it tastes nice?

I think this is the world i live in... everyone lives in a fantasy!

There was a time you get what you paid for!

16 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

These were replies to another person who was blaming the end-user. Don´t know why your directing this at me. Anyway you must obviously watch a crappy movies but sit there and think, na i'll change the story in my head? Do you buy a coffee and it tastes like crap, but instead of telling the server, but you convince yourself it tastes nice?

I'm "directing it at you" because I hit reply to your reply to my post, and so your name pops up above the quoted words you wrote. This is how forums work (perhaps it is Invision's fault! :D)

I don't direct the crappy movies I watch.

And if I did, I wouldn't blame the actors or CGI artists or even the scriptwriters for my choices of weapons and tactics and starting conditions making the action sequences predictable and boring.

I don't blame the coffee brand for it tasting like I refused to try adding milk either.

Edited by enigmatic

They're not very good analogies though.  If you want to make them more accurate, you would say that you bought the coffee, it tasted awful, but the person making it tells you that they're changing their machine, and it'll taste better than it's done.  But they've no idea when that'll be.  They also have other coffees that are OK, but aren't quite the same as what you want.  You, in this case, would sit there waiting for the machine to be fixed, rather than get a different coffee in compensation, or, you know, just go somewhere else.

Again, you seem to be under the impression that anything other than sitting in a huff is somehow letting SI off the hook in some way.  You can report bugs and expect fixes whilst still working around them in the meantime. That's the whole point.  Anything else is just being purposefully miserable.

6 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

I'm "directing it at you" because I hit reply to your reply to my post, and so your name pops up above the quoted words you wrote. This is how forums work (perhaps it is Invision's fault! :D)

I don't direct the crappy movies I watch.

And if I did, I wouldn't blame the actors or CGI artists or even the scriptwriters for my choices of weapons and tactics and starting conditions making the action sequences predictable and boring.

I don't blame the coffee brand for it tasting like I refused to try adding milk either.

You and Ngoc must´ve been made in the same test tube. Anyway nice not knowing you ;)

Edited by greenz81

13 minutes ago, forameuss said:

They're not very good analogies though.  If you want to make them more accurate, you would say that you bought the coffee, it tasted awful, but the person making it tells you that they're changing their machine, and it'll taste better than it's done.  But they've no idea when that'll be.  They also have other coffees that are OK, but aren't quite the same as what you want.  You, in this case, would sit there waiting for the machine to be fixed, rather than get a different coffee in compensation, or, you know, just go somewhere else.

Again, you seem to be under the impression that anything other than sitting in a huff is somehow letting SI off the hook in some way.  You can report bugs and expect fixes whilst still working around them in the meantime. That's the whole point.  Anything else is just being purposefully miserable.

What are you guys on about!? Seriously. Im defending the end-user. Your defending "the man".

And my analogy was about the characteristics of the said person, I wasnt talking about the products!!!

And I would complain about the coffee and if the second cup wasnt good, i would request a refund.

Im just waiting for my second cup to be served now ;)

Out of curiosity, how many bugs you posted?

Edited by greenz81

Anyway this thread is about the AI lacking. Quite obviously it is. Why are you guys are trying to deflect the truth. Blaming the end-user for not challenging themselves enough! Might as well get pencil and paper and play old school fantasy football and make results for yourself... but we have this technology thats use 1´s and 0´s so we shouldnt need to do that anymore :)

Im not here for back and forwards, just opinions. But I dislike the fact that the person who bought a product that promises much, gets the blame, for the product not fulfilling the promise!

11 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

What are you guys on about!? Seriously. Im defending the end-user. Your defending "the man".

This attitude is really, really reductive.  Literally my whole point has been "don't sit miserable and actually seek out enjoyment for yourself".  That couldn't be more about the end-user.  But by all means, do the Freshers Revolutionary act and believe that everyone's against you and sit miserable.  In the meantime, I'll make do with what we've currently got, enjoy something I paid for as best I can, and hope for positive updates in future.  Like a normal, well-adjusted person would.

22 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

The problem is that the box to tick comes with a whole lot more stuff to test is working (an ME and player transfer interactions that behave completely differently is a lotand gets even more complaints..

Yeah yeah, I'm getting a bit tired of this kind of defeatism. The match engine doesn't need to be affected in any way, and nor should it. And since when is testing stuff is working such an ordeal?

1 minute ago, forameuss said:

This attitude is really, really reductive.  Literally my whole point has been "don't sit miserable and actually seek out enjoyment for yourself".  That couldn't be more about the end-user.  But by all means, do the Freshers Revolutionary act and believe that everyone's against you and sit miserable.  In the meantime, I'll make do with what we've currently got, enjoy something I paid for as best I can, and hope for positive updates in future.  Like a normal, well-adjusted person would.

How many bugs have you experienced or posted? You´ve said all games have bugs... surely you must've reported some FM has? Are you telling me you have a bug-free version of FM none of us have?

7 minutes ago, forameuss said:

we are the end user and I don't feel defended by that crazy person. So please I would like him stop to speaking for me as he is doing something for me I didn't ask and I really don't want anybody like him to represent me or defend me. 

Have the balls to speak just for yourself and defend just yourself don't push your incapacity of having fun with tools (games are tools some more sophisticated than others). If for Christmas they give you a tennis ball but you don't have a rachet some people will be upset some people with use it in a way that probably is not the exact intended way but they will still have fun

**** happens in real life and in programming the world is not perfect so you need to learn to make your own fun and stop expecting everybody carter to your insignificant needs. 

Edited by Ngoc

1 minute ago, Kickballz said:

Yeah yeah, I'm getting a bit tired of this kind of defeatism. The match engine doesn't need to be affected in any way, and nor should it. And since when is testing stuff is working such an ordeal?

I mean, obviously the match engine does need to be affected if the goal of a hard mode is to make it harder to win with a high pressing attacking team...

Testing twice as much stuff for a handful of people that claim to want a hard mode (but are all "why would you do this thing that makes the game hard" when you suggest alternatives) doesn't seem like a good use of resources compared with, say, working on the core match engine everybody uses or introducing a new feature. Especially since the likely outcome is "hard mode is too easy" or even "but hard mode is too hard" posts.

9 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

I mean, obviously the match engine does need to be affected if the goal of a hard mode is to make it harder to win with a high pressing attacking team...

Testing twice as much stuff for a handful of people that claim to want a hard mode (but are all "why would you do this thing that makes the game hard" when you suggest alternatives) doesn't seem like a good use of resources compared with, say, working on the core match engine everybody uses or introducing a new feature. Especially since the likely outcome is "hard mode is too easy" or even "but hard mode is too hard" posts.

Except that is not at all what I was saying. Others might have said that, but I was only ever interested in handicapping a manager through debuffs to club related issues. Just to be clear: I don't think it should affect the match engine in any way.

Edited by Kickballz

6 minutes ago, Ngoc said:

we are the end user and I don't feel defended by that crazy person. So please I would like him stop to speaking for me as he is doing something for me I didn't ask and I really don't want anybody like him to represent me or defend me. 

Have the balls to speak just for yourself and defend just yourself don't push your incapacity of having fun with tools (games are tools some more sophisticated than others). If for Christmas they give you a tennis ball but you don't have a rachet some people will be upset some people with use it in a way that probably is not the exact intended way but they will still have fun

**** happens in real life and in programming the world is not perfect so you need to learn to make your own fun and stop expecting everybody carter to your insignificant needs. 

You are a very angry person. Crazy person? Insignificant needs? Make my own fun? Im currently sitting on a mountain in Barcelona replying to you with a big smile on my face, because im enjoying the cool evening and have a spare few minutes to reply to you. Anyway, stay happy.