Roaming Playmaker

What would the best complimentary roles be for a Roaming playmaker in the cm slot?

I have been trying out the role with a halfback and mezzala (S) but the roaming playmaker just doesnt seem to get into the game at all? Not a lot of passes, key passes or any impact. 

My first though is because of the roaming instruction on both the roaming playmaker and the mezzala? 

1 hour ago, Bird_SA said:

What would the best complimentary roles be for a Roaming playmaker in the cm slot?

I have been trying out the role with a halfback and mezzala (S) but the roaming playmaker just doesnt seem to get into the game at all? Not a lot of passes, key passes or any impact. 

My first though is because of the roaming instruction on both the roaming playmaker and the mezzala? 

Post a screenshot of your tactic and the player you're using for the role :thup:

8 hours ago, Bird_SA said:

The RPM is a roaming role. To really make him shine and utilize his mobility it’s important to create space for him to operate in. You can achieve this by having players creating depth behind and ahead of him. That said, I would pair him with a holding defend duty in a two man midfield and at least one central player with an attack duty. 

8 minutes ago, Bird_SA said:

@CARRERA thanks for the advice. @Cloud9 here is tactic and player as requested.

image.png.893c513eb97a35cf3a66afa9463f346a.png

image.png.f669fd9573bfc28920af292db63b3c57.png

Yea doesn't look like a RPM, he's not that mobile or capable of executing defensive duties.

• Off the ball is important for roaming roles and his is a bit low.
  • 11 concentration is a real concern for such a central player to your tactic. 

I'd stick him as an cm(s) and tell him to pass more direct/take more risks in his PIs. Also if you move him to the right you can pair the W/MEZ which will help things. 

• HB is dropping between the CBs in possession, so two roamers in front (and the MEZ heading wide) means there's very little presence in the middle. CM(s) will help out a bit here as well. 
  • Two support midfield roles can end up feeling a bit bland, try swapping the MEZ to attack

2 hours ago, Bird_SA said:

Your team is playing out from the back, building up slowly in general. That isn’t particular the best environment for a RPM. You might be doing better with someone as a DLP or an AP Role in one of the three midfield slots. You could also try playing without a playmaker and use him as a CM(a).

Thanks for all the discussion. So now I am considering using a single dm as regista and with a mezzala and maybe a cm (d). I have been berated for only having a Regista in the dm slot in the past but why would a normal cm double pivot with an am be safer? I mean the am role is replaced with a dm role when I have a regista? Shouldnt that actually be safer?  

2 hours ago, Bird_SA said:

Thanks for all the discussion. So now I am considering using a single dm as regista and with a mezzala and maybe a cm (d). I have been berated for only having a Regista in the dm slot in the past but why would a normal cm double pivot with an am be safer? I mean the am role is replaced with a dm role when I have a regista? Shouldnt that actually be safer?  

The Regista doesn't hold position and also roams. Not all the roam roles roam the same though, it would be more defensively sound than playing a sole RPM as a dm I believe.

It's more difficult to pull off, not something I would feel comfortable running, but that doesn't mean it can't work for you :thup:  

1 hour ago, Bird_SA said:

I understand that but why would a formation with amc instead of dmc be safer? Does not make sense for me. 

A double pivot provides you with two DMs to hold the fort. If they're pushed into midfield they'll win the ball back higher up but either way the AMC has the platform to go and perform. When you lose the ball there's a symmetrical double pivot behind him ready to defend, and if the AMC has defensive attributes he'll help out as well.

• With a 4-3-3 your midfield becomes lopsided when the mez pushes on which can be tricky and leave you caught up on the break. This is why I personally value a DM who can just defend in these w a 4-3-3, and why a sole regista can be a bit of risk.
  • In a 4-3-3 I wouldn't ask either of the advanced midfielders to hold position, as this can damage you in transitions. If you're looking for a supporting role to assist the Regista, perhaps the BWM(s) could be a good option?

Basically there's a lot of rules of thumbs about the game that if you break can feel uncomfortable (like a non holding solo DM) and a lot of people will tell you you're doing it wrong.  A sole Regista breaks those general guidelines but again that doesn't mean it can't  function excellently given the right setup/players.

In my own save, I've been running a BWM(D) as the sole holding role of my midblock counter attacking system, after picking up a super high quality ball winning player. Ordinarily this would be a bit of disaster as he'd charge around and get pulled out of position (and people will tell you not to deploy a sole BWM because of it). However, because he's an actual superstar I'm playing to his strengths so he's getting excellent ratings and we're able to launch more counter attacks compared to if I ran him as a safer DM(d). The two CMs in front of him are also pretty physical so there's some nice synergy there to commit to winning the ball. I wouldn't recommend trying it with an average or even good BWM as when he messes up there's a giant gap.

You might find that similar with the sole Regista, where if you're going to make it work, he needs to be a really excellent player for the rewards to outweigh the risks.

Edited by Cloud9

15 hours ago, Bird_SA said:

11 hours ago, Bird_SA said:

I understand that but why would a formation with amc instead of dmc be safer? Does not make sense for me. 

It wouldn't, especially with the changes made to pivots on FM23. If you have no DM and use CM's, the CM's drop deeper than they would if they had a DM behind them. 

Don't let people berate you for using a sole regista in the DM slot. If someone has berated you then it's clear they don't understand the role or what it does. A regista is a fantastic defensive role.

Now back to your original question and utilising the role you choose correctly. If you want to use DLP then they suit possession type systems better. That's not to say you can't use them in other setups but as a guideline for yourself and what you are creating. The reason for this is because like the post above states, DLP's are all about safety first and passing sideways. If you're wanting faster transitions or to progress the ball further up the pitch fast, then it could hinder that and make play slow down.

If you wanted a player who didn't venture forward much like the DLP but was more forward thinking then you'd go with a regista. They unlock teams from deep with risky passing looking to play the ball between the lines from deep areas of the pitch. Always looking for those runners.

Lastly, if you wanted a role that focused on being more dominant in the final third by being positioned higher up, then the RPM is the role you want. They venture forward and roam about, deep in the oppositions half. If you were to use this role in your 4-3-3 whether it be DM slot or CM slot, then you'd likely want one of the other two players DM/MC to perhaps be more defensive minded and one to be some kind of runner, so like a B2B/CMA/Mez type. This would give you the perfect balance as the RPM and the other role would venture forward and the more defensive minded role would sit and protect.

You can have all 3 roles attack if you wanted but that does have draw backs and can be risky but sometimes the reward you get from attacking in such a manner outweight the risks. 

In the tactic you posted above, I think you have good balance on the three central midfield roles. It's quite a dynamic three.

On 21/05/2023 at 01:26, Bird_SA said:

@CARRERA thanks for the advice. @Cloud9 here is tactic and player as requested.

image.png.f669fd9573bfc28920af292db63b3c57.png

On 20/05/2023 at 10:44, Bird_SA said:

I think the problem is that your RPM has the player trait "Gets Forward Whenever Possible". Your tactic uses short passing game with building from the back. You also use HB that drops deep between the CBs. In this case it would be better to use a RPM with "Comes Deep to Get Ball" player trait. The "Gets Forward" trait would be better for the MEZ role. Also another problem for your RPM is that he has low Teamwork and Off The Ball attributes. 

On 21/05/2023 at 13:10, CARRERA said:

Your team is playing out from the back, building up slowly in general. That isn’t particular the best environment for a RPM. You might be doing better with someone as a DLP or an AP Role in one of the three midfield slots. You could also try playing without a playmaker and use him as a CM(a).

Why is playing out from the back not suited for a RPM???

1 hour ago, ThomasHK1979 said:

Why is playing out from the back not suited for a RPM???

RPM is a mobile role, that runs with the ball and driving play forward. That type of player usually is best if used in an environment that fits his strength. If you build up more slowly, a role that dictates the match from behind or sits right in front of the box, might fit better. However, that doesn't mean you can't use that role in a creative way.

13 hours ago, CARRERA said:

RPM is a mobile role, that runs with the ball and driving play forward. That type of player usually is best if used in an environment that fits his strength. If you build up more slowly, a role that dictates the match from behind or sits right in front of the box, might fit better. However, that doesn't mean you can't use that role in a creative way.

Like a Regista?

@Cleon

Understanding there's no perfect blanket answer for this, just general concept based on your explanations of the roles above.

Suppose you find yourself playing against a team that likes to press high up the pitch and your tactic uses as DLP as the central midfield creator. Are you better off switching that role to a regista to reduce the chances that you're caught in possession at the back? 

Trying to find a balance between play risky short passes in a press and hoof it long to clear the danger.

10 hours ago, wazzaflow10 said:

@Cleon

Understanding there's no perfect blanket answer for this, just general concept based on your explanations of the roles above.

Suppose you find yourself playing against a team that likes to press high up the pitch and your tactic uses as DLP as the central midfield creator. Are you better off switching that role to a regista to reduce the chances that you're caught in possession at the back? 

Trying to find a balance between play risky short passes in a press and hoof it long to clear the danger.

I think you're approaching it the wrong way around. Instead of focusing on the high press, you should perhaps focus on the player himself. You can usually see with-in seconds of the match if he's being pressured and caught in possession. You'd change the role/settings based on what you see happening and react to that. The reason for this is that a high press itself isn't always going to be the same. Sometimes it might be problematic for your player but other times, it might actually aid him if he's intelligent and skilled enough to play out from the press.

5 hours ago, Cleon said:

I think you're approaching it the wrong way around. Instead of focusing on the high press, you should perhaps focus on the player himself. You can usually see with-in seconds of the match if he's being pressured and caught in possession. You'd change the role/settings based on what you see happening and react to that. The reason for this is that a high press itself isn't always going to be the same. Sometimes it might be problematic for your player but other times, it might actually aid him if he's intelligent and skilled enough to play out from the press.

Got it. I'll keep this in mind for the next time I come up against it. Thank you.

Edited by wazzaflow10