Survival in the Premier League on a £470k wage budget? Is it possible? What's the lowest you've ever worked with?

I'm on a bit of a journeyman save right now and I stumbled across the Sheffield Wednesday job in League One, I quickly got them promoted that season, hit mid-table in the Championship season after and then in the 3rd season accidently got promoted after a 2nd place finish in the 3rd season.

They've given me a £40mil budget and £470k wage budget to play with... I'm a little skeptical that i can even form a full team with that haha.

Has anyone else been expected to survive the best league in the world on a minimal budget, or even achieved it?

1 hour ago, MichaelNevo said:

I'm on a bit of a journeyman save right now and I stumbled across the Sheffield Wednesday job in League One, I quickly got them promoted that season, hit mid-table in the Championship season after and then in the 3rd season accidently got promoted after a 2nd place finish in the 3rd season.

They've given me a £40mil budget and £470k wage budget to play with... I'm a little skeptical that i can even form a full team with that haha.

Has anyone else been expected to survive the best league in the world on a minimal budget, or even achieved it?

Yes you can,  just focus on building a starting 11 that can win games. 40m is a huge amount given to a promoted side so it should be no problem.

• Sign u23 players (low wages), players of relegated teams, and transfer listed players. Sell players on big salaries/wage promotion clauses. If you haven't done your scouting/transfer targets by now, it'll be tricky. Go into windows knowing who you are going to sign and potential targets to look at. 
  • With good recruitment you should be able to pick up 6-7 first team players for 1-3m each. Usually I spend the larger sums on high potential young players my scouts have found. Make sure you bring in a reliable goalscorer and a solid goalkeeper.
  • Usually the challenge is staying up your first season with a super young team who you can develop in your first year without going down, and catapult into European football the second. Signing more seasoned pro's is a surefire way to stay up, but can lead to you stagnating in mid table in following seasons. You won't get anywhere near as big of a war chest in your second season in the prem, esp with a club that has the debt that Wednesday does.

Here's an example of the type of player you should be looking for:

In terms of spending a bit bigger:

• https://fminside.net/players/3-fm-23/83103196-mbala-nzola
  • I signed this guy in my Wednesday save to be our reliable goalscorer after Spezia were relegated. Think I had to put him on 67k a week which was by far my highest wage and snagging him when he was listed meant I got him for around 5m which was still big cash for a senior pro. 

Hopefully that gives you a bit of a starting point :thup:

Edited by Cloud9

I'm sure I did with Heath Hayes a couple of FMs ago, thinking I had a 300k wage budget but could may well be wrong 

The PL is a massive cash cow so don't worry if you're relegated anyway :D

ETA: Just found a post from when I was promoted, not sure on the wage budget but it sounded small

ETA: it was 400k 

Thanks for the information @Cloud9, I'm in 2035, so I've had to scout around. I've picked off some players from Cardiff and Coventry who got relegated, found some on the transfer list for less than £1mil, brought in 4 loans and the rest I packed out with Free Transfers.

I'm 2 games into the season, drew with Man Utd 1-1 and beat Brentford 9-0, couldn't have asked for a better start!

@Johnny Ace I'll have a read of that thread :D

3 hours ago, MichaelNevo said:

Thanks for the information @Cloud9, I'm in 2035, so I've had to scout around. I've picked off some players from Cardiff and Coventry who got relegated, found some on the transfer list for less than £1mil, brought in 4 loans and the rest I packed out with Free Transfers.

I'm 2 games into the season, drew with Man Utd 1-1 and beat Brentford 9-0, couldn't have asked for a better start!

@Johnny Ace I'll have a read of that thread :D

great start. biggest thing is keep that morale as high as you can throughtouyt the whole season

You definitely can with a young squad, loans, free transfers, selling "old timers" and little budget adjustments.

Last year I got Salford to the prem and had about 405K wage budget and finished 10th if I remember correctly.

If you're confident you'll stay up, you can always use the installments bug just as clubs would get a bank loan in real life to raise funds for a very important transfer window.

Edited by sdx15

I managed to have a great season, finished 8th in the end. I wasn't using my own training schedules prior to that season as I didn't see much point in the lower leagues, but I decided to take control of training and my players grew massively throughout the season. My young striker I bought in the Championship banged in 54 goals over the season which helped a lot.

I've left the club now though, got offered 4 International jobs, so I've gone with Holland :)

That kind of budget is more than enough if you use the instalments exploit like most people do.

Yes, in real life most transfers are paid in instalments, but in FM, you can recklessly overdo it and the club will always let you and it will never end up in financial trouble.

On 15/05/2023 at 13:55, shirajzl said:

That kind of budget is more than enough if you use the instalments exploit like most people do.

Yes, in real life most transfers are paid in instalments, but in FM, you can recklessly overdo it and the club will always let you and it will never end up in financial trouble.

I didn't actually go down that route, I'm not a fan of using instalments unless I'm making a huge signing and I have no choice.