Duties of defenders in a back three

I’m curious to know what people’s thoughts are on this. If you were to only be using a regular central defender role for each of the back three (due to technical limitations of your players), wing backs on attack either side of them two defensive midfield players on support duties, what duties are you giving the centre backs? 

All on defend? A stopper and two covers? A cover and two stoppers? 

Edited by OrientTillIDie

• OrientTillIDie changed the title to Duties of defenders in a back three

What block are you planning on playing? What intensity of pressing? What mentality?

As a pure guess I’d go for a straight defend duty for the LCB and RCB, and depending on the answers above I’d have a play around with the CCB until I was happy.

But this is all guess work as we have no idea what your plan is. Having 2 CDM’s on support might create too much space in front of your CB’s so a stopper could work. Having two WB’s on attack will definitely create a lot of space behind them, so your LCB and RCB should be aware of this. What roles are the two CDM’s?

Without knowing the overall make up of the style you’re going for it is hard to say with any certainty. It’s hard to say with certainty anyway 😁

22 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

What block are you planning on playing? What intensity of pressing? What mentality?

As a pure guess I’d go for a straight defend duty for the LCB and RCB, and depending on the answers above I’d have a play around with the CCB until I was happy.

But this is all guess work as we have no idea what your plan is. Having 2 CDM’s on support might create too much space in front of your CB’s so a stopper could work. Having two WB’s on attack will definitely create a lot of space behind them, so your LCB and RCB should be aware of this. What roles are the two CDM’s?

Without knowing the overall make up of the style you’re going for it is hard to say with any certainty. It’s hard to say with certainty anyway 😁

I’m generally just curious to know how people set up.

I’m currently managing in National League so don’t have incredible players. 

System currently is:

GK (d)

CDx3 (d)

WB (a) on both sides

VOL (s)

DLP (s)

AM (s) 

TF (s)

AF (a)

Balanced mentality, play out of defence, counter, sometimes regroup depending on my opponent, mid block. I’m trying to abide by the “keep it simple, stupid” rule in non-league.

I love 3 at the back systems but haven’t ventured massively outside of three central defenders on defend. I’ve tried a Libero but never got it to click. Essentially I’m curious to know how other people set a 3 CB system up.

10 hours ago, OrientTillIDie said:

I’m curious to know what people’s thoughts are on this. If you were to only be using a regular central defender role for each of the back three (due to technical limitations of your players), wing backs on attack either side of them two defensive midfield players on support duties, what duties are you giving the centre backs? 

All on defend? A stopper and two covers? A cover and two stoppers? 

Sounds like you're thinking very specifically about your tactic, for a back 3 I'd try to understand the general principles and then apply the specifics. 

• You want the central defender to be the best defensively. IE: He'll need to be tall and have good anticipation. The one's on each side of him can be more flexible, if you've got shorter more skilled CBs put them there.
  • You'll want at least one of the outer CBs (ideally both) to be able to progress the ball and transition it forward, through progressive passing or progressive dribbling. 
  • A back 3 helps you deal with runs from midfield and overloads, while the double pivot (BWM, DLP for example) in front of them recycle possession and stop long shots.

This video explains how a 5 at the back offers teams the ability to control the game, but isn't a purely defensive approach (like a 4-4-2 might be). If the players are truly limited in their technical ability you might find more success with a simplistic 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-2 and hoofing it up to the TF. It's pretty easy to set the back 3 overly defensive and then struggle when you're finding it hard to progress play. Yes, the Wingbacks offer a progressive outlet but you need the CBs to be involved as well.

Edited by Cloud9

My best defensive season came with three CD(d) roles in my back 5. I messed around with the WCD role but didn't love the positioning. In all of my FM years, I never enjoyed a stopper/cover mix since theoretically I wouldn't want them mucking up an offside trap.