Is there a way to change the beard and hairstyle?

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Yes. Go to the Skinning forum and learn about Facepacks (or just Google "Football Manager 2023 newgen facepack". My newgens now look like this:

2002163613.png.b2df80f1866a5cb0d14cbcda86a28462.png2002163619.png.fa52f29b26eafaf7cd32fcc407cd63d9.png2002079587.png.dc440e929dd1aa89cbce5e738362cc10.png

Do they have good beards and can you add those to the manager as well? I am a bearded man and absolutely need a better beard on my manager avatar.

5 minutes ago, du Garbandier said:

funny that you should pick out that particular look :D

also handlebar moustaches

I was making 15 year-old newgens for my academy intake save using Midjourney to recreate football stars of the past [see more creators here]

and I had a HELL of a job trying to get the moustache off a 15-year-old Graeme Souness :D

5 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Very much appreciated!

4 hours ago, du Garbandier said:

Yeah the 15-yr-olds with full beards are pretty scary

I did have a beard at that age unfortunately :D

18 hours ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Why can't SI do this?

Because the video game industry no longer cares about putting out the best product. It’s not profitable to blow your load sooner than later. it’s far more profitable to to keep development costs suppressed and eke out incremental changes every year because we will all buy the game regardless. 

I don’t say this as a criticism, it’s just a reality of the times. The industry has perfected cost/benefit. 

think about it. If I spent a billion dollars to create the absolute perfect game, you would buy it once. If I spent a billion dollars over twenty years to create a decently good game that releases every year, you would buy it 20 times. 

6 minutes ago, jcp1417 said:

Because the video game industry no longer cares about putting out the best product. It’s not profitable to blow your load sooner than later. it’s far more profitable to to keep development costs suppressed and eke out incremental changes every year because we will all buy the game regardless. 

I don’t say this as a criticism, it’s just a reality of the times. The industry has perfected cost/benefit. 

think about it. If I spent a billion dollars to create the absolute perfect game, you would buy it once. If I spent a billion dollars over twenty years to create a decently good game that releases every year, you would buy it 20 times. 

I don't see the logic here. Fan creators are making brilliant newgen faces for free. Hiring a couple of those guys or doing what they do internally wouldn't blow SI's load at all.

4 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I don't see the logic here. Fan creators are making brilliant newgen faces for free. Hiring a couple of those guys or doing what they do internally wouldn't blow SI's load at all.

Exactly… they are doing it for free so why would FM need to hire them. Those that care about better faces will download the mod. Those that don’t care as much will not bother. The entire point of my post was how the industry will not incur extra expenses when it’s not going to affect the bottom line. 

I would also imagine it’s a bit more complicated than simply saying that “the fan creators are better than the FM creators so let’s go hire them”. 

As far as the newgens and fake players are concerned, I don't think the portraits have changed at all in years. The idea of making it so that the portraits age with the player makes sense for a certain type of game, but it's understandable that SI focus more on the game mechanics. I put in a suggestion for a wardrobe setup so that your manager on the touchline isn't wearing shirtsleeves in the snow, and isn't wearing an overcoat in the sunshine... but it doesn't really matter, does it? 

1 hour ago, du Garbandier said:

As far as the newgens and fake players are concerned, I don't think the portraits have changed at all in years. The idea of making it so that the portraits age with the player makes sense for a certain type of game, but it's understandable that SI focus more on the game mechanics. I put in a suggestion for a wardrobe setup so that your manager on the touchline isn't wearing shirtsleeves in the snow, and isn't wearing an overcoat in the sunshine... but it doesn't really matter, does it? 

Depends what you want from the game.  For me,  it's immersion,  so the faces are important. 

Is there any way to make it so the game just assigns some of these newgen faces to the newgens as they appear in game, instead of having to manually assign them?

I know it's not entirely the same thing, but I remember in previous games there were hairstyle packs and stuff you could download that would do this, increased the variety a whole lot. 

37 minutes ago, dalenichol said:

Is there any way to make it so the game just assigns some of these newgen faces to the newgens as they appear in game, instead of having to manually assign them?

I know it's not entirely the same thing, but I remember in previous games there were hairstyle packs and stuff you could download that would do this, increased the variety a whole lot. 

Closest would be FMNEWGAN...bit of a pain to first set up but then once a year after intakes are done...run the app again and all 'new' newgens are updated.  Still works on FM23.

2 minutes ago, Maviarab said:

Closest would be FMNEWGAN...bit of a pain to first set up but then once a year after intakes are done...run the app again and all 'new' newgens are updated.  Still works on FM23.

Ah, that's cool. I will take a look at that! Thanks!

13 minutes ago, dalenichol said:

Ah, that's cool. I will take a look at that! Thanks!

There are videos that explain how to install them - Zealand did a few, and there are ones like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w2mmwfiAoM&t=64s

Personally, I found it too fiddly, plus the faces look too similar, so I prefer to choose my own (I match the faces I choose to ethnicity, hair colour/style and position, not that anyone would know) and add the UID myself.

4 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

There are videos that explain how to install them - Zealand did a few, and there are ones like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w2mmwfiAoM&t=64s

Personally, I found it too fiddly, plus the faces look too similar, so I prefer to choose my own (I match the faces I choose to ethnicity, hair colour/style and position, not that anyone would know) and add the UID myself.

I agree and actually do both myself.  I have thousands of faces from regen packs going back 10 years heh.  All the faves I have separated.  I use FMNEWGAN so all regens have a realistic face.  Any particular player I've grown close to, fond of, like for whatever reason etc etc, I'll change on an individual basis to something more of my liking.

27 minutes ago, Maviarab said:

I agree and actually do both myself.  I have thousands of faces from regen packs going back 10 years heh.  All the faves I have separated.  I use FMNEWGAN so all regens have a realistic face.  Any particular player I've grown close to, fond of, like for whatever reason etc etc, I'll change on an individual basis to something more of my liking.

Good policy. I'm the opposite - I put a face I like on one of my academy intake kids, and then he breaks my heart by bogging off to some big-time charly on a free :sega:

Edited by phnompenhandy

I can definitely see the merits in both ways of doing things. 

I'd downloaded a bunch of AI facepacks but never got around to making them work. The stuff in the Newgan facepack does look a little too realistic (which might be an odd complaint) but I'd prefer that over all the awful standard newgen faces in the game and then as I find players I grow particularly fond of, then I might start changing some of them to ones I particularly like, but we shall see how it goes  I guess.